Wasn't too thrilled with the movie....

himenokuri

I thought the movie was a very competent update.A good foundation to build on.So in short' date='I'd like to see a sequel with Foxx,Farrell and everybody from this one on board to try and take it to the next level.If for no other reason,just to keep the franchise alive and moving forward.[/quote']I guess you didn't read my previous post...........?It is NOT a good foundation as drug smuggling has become passe'Boats are much faster, this is true...but technology and the coast guard also have fast boats and radar and satellite. Should I go on?Coke is old school and now people (drug addicts) are using meth and other types of home brew cooked up dope. It doesn't need to be imported illegally into the country anymore.The Original MV was a time stamp of what the world was at in real time and just embellished it for entertainment. A modern MV would be void of that actaul believability factor.................unless you don't read newspapers and live in a shoebox?

Well, I pretty certain I'm in the minority here... But I really liked the movie when I saw it in theater the first two times. I've since had it on dvd and now blu ray. And I have to say, its become one of my favorite films of this decade.Sure its not our beloved VICE, but it wasn't suppose to be either. As far as it not being like the TV VICE, I must say also, that everytime I watch this thing I find one more element that harkens back to the tv show, so in a lot of ways Mann found a way to use some of the old things from various stories in the tv series that made it into this film. Some of the things about the film I would have changed, like the lack of chemistry everyone talks about between C & B, there should have been more of a connection. But as far as look and feel, I felt it was one of the better updates of a television series thats been produced.Having said that, allow me to say this... Things change, this is a given. Could Mann have placed this movie in the 80's and captured more of the VICE we all know and love? Sure he could have. However, I found this VICE movie to be a gritty, hardcore look into today's black market... with a more realistic feel about contraband being global in a more techno savvy world. Again, I really like this movie and really wish more of you give it a shot, because there is a lot to like IMO. This means you LMD!

• Like 1

I have actually tried to watch it a second time. I fell asleep. omg...I went to the movies to see it first time around. I agree it could have been ANY cop movie. Did I like it!!!! Yeah, I guess so. Was I disappointed, yes. I knew it couldn't be exactly like the show but I still looked for any kind of similarities. Will I try to watch it again, probably not...

I've tried to watch it again "over the years". I'm mildly fascinated, as with all MM movies, and everything Vice.There will always be a big disappointment, mainly because of Mann just went through the motions when writing. And the actors mumbling their way through the script is not surprising, as I do remember all the stories from '05 about the drunken parties and actors passed out drunk by the side of the road. The nicest part is being able to write about what happened without the CF Gestapo Storm Troopers jumping on my head for exercising my freedom of speech about their favorite actor. Thankfully the CF tribe has faded away, may they never return :p .

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised it wasn't better. They had Mann wirte and direct it, and Yerkovich as executive producer. You'd think they'd know how to do it the right way...It was quite stylish, but...there was too much story...too much happening...we were'nt really introduced to the characters, it took me a while to figure out who Zito and Switek were! They needed to have some scenes at HQ, with the team sitting in a Strategy Room, planning...that never happened although it happens all the time in the TV show.

I had some hope the movie could make a lift off til Alonso was killed. After this the movie is pure, boring, sleepin´garbage.The funniest part is the bonus: MMann smiling trying to convice you about the concepts.If you watch the MVS1 bonus, you can see AY explaining all the concepts about the tv show or...how to make it different of all cop movies done til 1984. Now you see a motion picture who turned a different 45 minutes tv cop show turned into a common class "Z" cop movie.

• Administrators

I recently caught the movie again on the USA network. (there was nothing else on) I have to admit the movie is much more enjoyable once you know who everyone is. Still. the movie is exceptionally dark and I don't mean the story. I'm talking about the look, the entire movie was way too dark. It should've shown at least a little more of what made the show great. Colors, clothes, South Beach! I still stand by my original review. It was good but could've been much much better.

I recently caught the movie again on the USA network. (there was nothing else on) I have to admit the movie is much more enjoyable once you know who everyone is. Still. the movie is exceptionally dark and I don't mean the story. I'm talking about the look' date=' the entire movie was way too dark. It should've shown at least a little more of what made the show great. Colors, clothes, South Beach! I still stand by my original review. It was good but could've been much much better.[/quote']Yeah, that's right. It was too dark...I wonder why they didn't have more scenes in daytime. Interestingly, "Collateral" was also dark...And many scenes in "Heat" were also at night. I suppose its become a Michael Mann thing. Still, I enjoyed these two of his movies alot more than Miami Vice - I guess I was expecting so much more.

I watched some of the movie on USA last week as well (I bought the DVD a few months after it came out, watched it once, never watched it again.) Botom lines: Richie Rich, you're right, they mumbled through this film, I couldn't hear a damn thing at times! Were they so drunk they had to whisper to hide their drunkenesss? Stinger 390X, I would neccesary agree with you, but there is still a huge cocaine trade here in the states, you've probably heard of my homicidal cartel neighbor, but there is now a huge drug war in Mexico (that most news stations haven't talked about! Even though the war is spilling into the states!) going on, so maybe not too rediculous. Ferrariman, I agree, this is too dark, I remember a local paper called The Gainesville Sun's review (sorry, don't have the article, lost it somewhere.) they gave it I believe a C or C-, it was to them too drab and dark. croc1, to stay awake during this film, if you watch it on USA, to keep awake, change the channel to something interesting during all the mumbling. (I put it on Dead-Bang once!)

Yeah' date=' that's right. It was too dark...I wonder why they didn't have more scenes in daytime. Interestingly, "Collateral" was also dark...And many scenes in "Heat" were also at night. I suppose its become a Michael Mann thing. [/quote']Definately. Michael Mann always seems to have gravitated towards film Noir. "Crime Story" was filmed in a similar way. This goes back as early as his 1981 film "Thief", for which the majority of scenes appeared to be filmed at night. Not surprisingly, "Collateral" begins in the early evening and ends just as dawn is breaking. In the film, the timespan mirrors Vincent's work pattern. Remember that Vincent chooses to work the overnight shift. In the Miami Vice film, even the daytime scenes looked dark, and I'm sure this was done deliberately.From visiting Miami, I can say that IMHO the Miami depicted in the series is much more realistic than the one depicted in the film. Miami in the series is depicted as bright, colourful, and upbeat, much like how it's portrayed in "Burn Notice". Whereas the Miami depicted in the film was more like Prague. Dark, gothic, and sinister looking.

Actually if you go back and watch the first three episodes of the series (pilot, Heart of Darkness and Cool Runnin') a majority of the scenes were at night.

Actually if you go back and watch the first three episodes of the series (pilot' date=' Heart of Darkness and Col Runnin') a majority of the scenes were at night.[/quote']True.After watching the movie, I was thinking it was most like Season 5 than any other season. I wonder what the rest of you think.Maybe this is why it wasn't liked that much, as most wanted the movie to be like Season 1 or 2.I agree with the mumbling problem - but it was mostly Crockett. Also Castillo being black threw me off as I only realised about 40 minutes into the movie! I was wandering, "Where's Castillo?!!" only to realise he's not Latino!I've only seen it the once, mind you:)

Yeah, it put me off a bit at first (not that there is anythng wrong with it.) but I have also seen the actor who played Castillo also played a detective on the excellent Michael Mann series Robbery Homicide Division, which was a lot like this movie.

I wonder why they didn't have at least Crockett's theme in the movie. They had alot of opportunities to include it, especially near the end when he's parting company with his girl...It was already mentioned in this thread that other than character names, there wasn't much else that was the same as the TV series. I just felt so underwhelmed by the movie. Maybe I'll write some positive things about it! There were some! But I just keep thinking about what wasn't right:)

• 1 month later...

Well I've changed my mind....The new MV movie is now my favourite........when I want to fall asleep!Last two times I watched it I passed out on the sofa. Well now I know what to watch when I need a catnap.

• Administrators

Change the title and the character names and I'll bet we wouldn't hate it as much. In fact we'd all be complaining about it being a Vice ripoff!I actually say I hate it just because I know srobak loves it. :dance2:

• Administrators

It was a so, so cop movie. The character names were all that was related. Other than that, it could have been any cop movie. Nothing special.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest neworder

You need to see it C&BIt's filmed really well, the music is top notch.......and erm....the action is good when it does happen. Definitely style over substance this movie which is why I can watch it and to be fair my opinion of it grows every time I view it.Still don't understand why Mann didn't take more influence from the TV show, I read somewhere that Jan Hammer was pretty pissed off he didn't get asked to do the score. Why did Mann commission the A-500 tune during the plane scene, an obvious piss take of Crockett's theme when he could've just put the original in and it would've been better? Don't understand that bit.But yeah watch it for the visuals and the audio C&B it is fantastically shot and musically put together well....kinda like the TV show but the TV show had decent stories, decent characters, lots of decent action to go along with it....

• 4 weeks later...

I think my major complaint was how Miami looked, it looked like Michael Mann had taken points from Michael Bay and Len Wiseman and mixed both of those to get the look it had.Miami Vice circa 1984/1985Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildMiami Vice Circa 2006Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild - from the one scene that looked like it was from old MVEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildbad boys 2 2003Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildUnderworld 2003Eingefügtes Bildand Crockett and Tubbs really needed to lighten up, there really was no chemistry between the two like in the old series, closest thing you got wasBad Guy to tubbs: I don't like the way your partner looksCrockett: Just sits there, says nothingTubbs: do you want to f*** my partner?and Crockett spent far more time with his girlfriend then Tubbs anyway, they should have atleast talked about her like they did inDefinitely MiamiCrockett: Shes stringing me along ricoTubbs: but what if she isn't, whats going to happen to her?and use there primary weapons more, Crockett's super expensive tiki was never used along with tubbs' new smith 38, you don't buy a 6 thousand dollar gun and dont use it, thats like buying a 240,000 ferrari f430 spyder and never using it..... This is all we got ferrari action wise

I mean come on the ferrari scene from Heart Of Darkness was longer than that for crying outloud and actually tied in with what was going on in that episode, another undercover cop going under
and YOU DONT BUY A FERRARI WITH A FLAPPY PANNEL GEARBOX, that's just how its done!and would it have been so hard to put cameras on that f430 to match the Miami vice angles? I mean this isn't the 1980's anymoreEingefügtes BildI mean look what this guy did with his vintage 1969 Iso Grifo with modern small cameras
Jay Leno with his new Corvette zr1http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=867761Or even the Ashes To Ashes Quatro using the same small cameras, great show by the way, very Miami Vice likehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0-8IUwsQtsEingefügtes Bildand at last Crockett's theme why not these instead?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLxSJBITabUand Maybe an instrumental version of this onehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrGkzp8_bo&feature=PlayList&p=95077992724E7A81&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=5