The Michael Mann Appreciation Thread!

Ferrariman

• Administrators

I've been a fan of Michael Mann's work ever since I first saw "Thief" I have yet to see "Public Enemies" but it's on my list of must sees which got me thinking. How about a thread totally devoted to Mr. Mann? Please feel free to post anything about the man, his movies and his career!!

• Administrators

Yeah I saw that earlier and did a double take. That movie is a classic, I don't know how even Mann could top himself!

Heat came out only 14 years ago only, remaking it so soon seems rediculous, Mr. Mann!:evil:By the way, the original Heat is being made into a videogame.

• Administrators

Ya know, I read that one a while back and what I read was he is making a video game of the movie, not a re-make of the movie it's self? :confused:Can't see how he would do this with Neil McCauley being dead unless he really didn't die and ended up going to prison again and got out.Either way they are really both getting too old to keep it up."Righteous Kill" was a great movie with both of them, but they were both really showing their age in that one.Would love to see them together again though!

Ya know' date=' I read that one a while back and what I read was he is making a video game of the movie, not a re-make of the movie it's self? :confused:[/quote']That's what I meant, in videogame terms it's being made into a game, meaning the film is being adapted to the style of videogamesin essence, you basically have to remake a film to do the videogame correctly, just into a format that's interactive, to do that you'd have to re-record voice actors (wether they get the original people or not) and basically change major moments to be more action oriented and add on more stuff, in terms, making a movie into a game is basically remaking it.

I saw Public Enemies this week and was very pleasantly surprised, even though it took me a long way into the film to identify with the main characters and get that "Wow - I wonder what's next" feeling. But I have to say this is a major comeback after the MV '06 movie fizzled. Of course, I will add my dislike of the confusion the night shootout causes, with not knowing who is shooting and who got shot, but I will still give an "A minus" grade.The script is far superior to MV '06, and the actors too. We have an attractive woman this time with Cottilard, who looks very cute in spite of what the 1930's hairstyle and clothes do to all women. I have to put my vote in for Depp for Best Actor and Mann for Best Director (as if I will get asked).One thing I have not heard any mention of yet, anywhere on the internet, so this will be an exclusive for "our" site, I will assume. Michael Mann placed a shoutout to all Vicers in this film, and it would be kind of cool to see this continue in his films. I'm sure he is aware that many of his fans recognized his skills first from Vice. During one "small town scene", in a downtown setting, there is a product name on a billboard. The product name is:"Burnett's Vanilla"Pretty cool, huh?

Public Enemies During one "small town scene"" data-date=" in a downtown setting, there is a product name on a billboard. The product name is:[I">

"Burnett's Vanilla"Pretty cool, huh?

Lol. I noticed that as well. During that scene, did you notice how the camera seemed to linger, almost as if he wanted us to see that? I was busy looking for other Vice references in the other adverts on the billboard before the scene went off. I saw the film for the first time yesterday. I thought there were similarities between this film and "Heat". The first similarity being the way the shootouts were filmed, the second similarity being the fact that there were two protagonists in the film, Dillinger and Purvis, who stood at opposite ends of a crime spectrum and had one of those mirror image confrontations while Dillinger is in prison. In "Heat", you had the same relationship between Pacino and DeNiro's characters. They also had a mirror image confrontation at a table in a cafe.

Apparently - it's a real product from the 1930's, so I give props to Mann for his realism. It is not a made-up thing. Eingefügtes Bild

Was just watching Collateral...I didn't realise Bruce McGill was in the movie! And so was Barry Shabaka (is that the name?) who od course was Castillo in the MV movie. And of course Jamie Foxx is in both movies.I like the way Mann gets reuses actors. There must be many more examples...

I like the way Mann gets reuses actors. There must be many more examples...

Tom Sizemore was both in Mann's TV Show Robbery Homicide Division (a show full of awesomeness if I might say so) and Heat.I think the woman who played Trudy on the MV movie was also the Robbery Homicide Division.

And so was Barry Shabaka (is that the name?) who od course was Castillo in the MV movie.

And Shabaka was impressive in Collateral' date=' so that is the assumed reason why he was used again. But, wow, he was a mess in MV '06, looking bloated and out of breath. MV was just a casting disaster, but you can't say the same for Collateral or Public Enemies. I'm still trying to find out what happened on MV '06, but for now I'm faulting the cast, and the subpar script. The scripts seem to be superior when Mann does not go it alone, and keep all the writing to himself:[b']Public Enemies:Writing credits(WGA) Ronan Bennett (screenplay) and Michael Mann (screenplay) & Ann Biderman (screenplay) Miami Vice ('06 movie):Writing credits(WGA) Michael Mann (written by)

I think there were possibly a range of reasons for why the movie had problems - casting was a major issue - but in some ways I think it also might have become even more difficult to make because of MV the series, not less. Mann wasn't starting with a blank canvas with the movie - often that's a lot easier to start with than the previous 'baseline'. Still think a real shame as some great stuff in the movie will forever go largely unappreciated as a result.

And Shabaka was impressive in Collateral' date=' so that is the assumed reason why he was used again. But, wow, he was a mess in MV '06, looking bloated and out of breath. MV was just a casting disaster, but you can't say the same for Collateral or Public Enemies. I'm still trying to find out what happened on MV '06, but for now I'm faulting the cast, and the subpar script. The scripts seem to be superior when Mann does not go it alone, and keep all the writing to himself[/quote']Yes, I agree...the casting was wrong. Colin Farrel mumbled and he's the main character...The baddies were OK, especially Luis Tosar as Montoya. Li Gong didn’t seem right as the love interest. Did you know that Colin Farrell was nominated for the IFTA awards for Best Actor in a Lead Role in a Feature Film for MV'06!!! IFTA stands for Irish Film and Television Awards…Ahhh, no wonder!

Have you seen In Bruges?Farrell was impressive as a dopey, wimpy guy in this movie. And he did not mumble, although the Irish accent does again make it difficult to understand him. And this is from a guy who does not like Farrell, and never liked him in a previous film.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Michael Mann even knows that this site exists? Has he ever visited it? Read any of it? For those who remember the old site, do you know if he ever knew of that site? Would love to have him comment/interviewed for this site. So many unanswered questions...

• 4 years later...

Just a kick to this thread.Yesterday I watched Collateral again. This is the movie that MV '06 should have been. Cruise's character was absolutely fantastic. Styled to perfection, with Crockett style 5 o'clock shadow.Further more, around 3 quarters of the movie, I had a huge Miami Vice flashback when the police squad found out where the next hit would be (the one in the club). The music that was played was pure Vice when the cops grabbed their guns and walked to their cars.Right afterwards was the scene in the taxi where Max and Vincent see the hyena's on the road, with another great Vice-like song playing on the background. Again pure Vice.Great movie, probably Tom Cruise's best role. What a great character Vincent was, I was rooting for him. Mann did a great job and this movie shows even more than the Vice movie, how great his influence was on the series.

Just a kick to this thread.Yesterday I watched Collateral again. This is the movie that MV '06 should have been. Cruise's character was absolutely fantastic. Styled to perfection' date=' with Crockett style 5 o'clock shadow.Further more, around 3 quarters of the movie, I had a huge Miami Vice flashback when the police squad found out where the next hit would be (the one in the club). The music that was played was pure Vice when the cops grabbed their guns and walked to their cars.Right afterwards was the scene in the taxi where Max and Vincent see the hyena's on the road, with another great Vice-like song playing on the background. Again pure Vice.Great movie, probably Tom Cruise's best role. What a great character Vincent was, I was rooting for him. Mann did a great job and this movie shows even more than the Vice movie, how great his influence was on the series.[/quote']I remember watching El Veijo and it reminded me of collateral, the scene where they are all loading up their guns and the driving to a meet..So awesome.