The 10 Greatest Cars On Television-Ever!

DJAngel

Guest neworder

Im surprised KITT didn't beat Miami Vice; I mean dont get me wrong I'm please the Ferrari Testarossa has done better but I always thought that as 80s cars went, the Trans AM KITT from Knight Rider was much more highly regarded as an iconic TV show car. Interesting how none of the greatest cars have come from modern day TV shows. I can see why, none of the TV shows I watch have fantastic cars in them.24 has Bauer cruising in a Ford Expedition, CSI Miami has Hummers etc etc.

I can't believe Starsky & Hutch's wheels are so low down - my childhood was full of little Matchbox versions of that uniquely-striped car - it was awesome. Also, missing entirely - the white James Bond car that doubled-up as an underwater vehicle in one of the movies - again loads of my mates at school in the early 80's/very late 70's had one of them.

• Administrators
Im surprised KITT didn't beat Miami Vice; I mean dont get me wrong I'm please the Ferrari Testarossa has done better but I always thought that as 80s cars went' date=' the Trans AM KITT from Knight Rider was much more highly regarded as an iconic TV show car... [/quote']+ 1 on that.

Other cars that deserve to be mentioned:Dan Tana's 57 Ford T-BirdSpenser's 66 Ford MustangNash's CudaObviously you can't fit every car into a list like this, but the A-Team van and Sanford's Ford shouldn't be in the conversation IMO.

That 70's show car is number 3????Give me a frick'in break!I still think the daytona should have been on there, and listed higher than sanford and sons truck! :rolleyes:I think the batmobile deserves #1.But kitt, starsky and hutch, and the general lee are far too famous to be listed where they are.

Even The Partridge Family's colorful bus is more well known than that 70's show car! I can't believe they included that car....and so high on the list! :rolleyes::confused::thumbsdown:I'd put Starsky and Hutch or Kitt at number 2 or 3.

Yet another internet blogerific list...Didn't we already have a thread on this subject before and the list had some stupid cars on it????end of rant...Yes I agree the Batmobile was probably one of the greatest TV cars in history. I have seen it many time and actually had the pleasure to meet and talk to George Barris on a few occasions about the makes and models of many of TV's greatest cars.I'm very surprised the Monkeemobile was not on the list. After all a stretched 65 GTO Convertible would be a good choice for this list, (unless the guy making it wasn't born yet in the sixties).Then there was the Green Hornets Car, I agree with the Dukes Dodge, Magnums Ferrari, but what the heck is Sanfords old truck in that list for? Needles to say the Knight Rider was just an old TA dressed up with a red disco light in the front bumper...not much of a car there???I think all the Munster mobiles should have been included, especially the Dragula! My friend actually had that car for two years and I was going to restore it but the original owner came back from Las Vegas and paid the back-storage here in Niagara, so we could not get the vehicle on a mechanics lean. That was a cool car! It was a coffin with a big block Ford in it with cross ram dual quads for all you kiddies out there that don't know what I am talking about. Hand built one of a kind automobile!TV has many cool cars such as that Coyote used in a very minor series (can't think of the name) which was a mid engine car and would make some awesome jump scenes on camera! There are so many others that I can't even begin to list them as I could ramble on for hours..................and you don't want that.Point is that every month someone comes up with a new list of something or other and not many can get them right as they were not even born yet!!!For this list I only agree with about half of it.

Yet another internet blogerific list...Didn't we already have a thread on this subject before and the list had some stupid cars on it????end of rant...Yes I agree the Batmobile was probably one of the greatest TV cars in history. I have seen it many time and actually had the pleasure to meet and talk to George Barris on a few occasions about the makes and models of many of TV's greatest cars.I'm very surprised the Monkeemobile was not on the list. After all a stretched 65 GTO Convertible would be a good choice for this list' date=' (unless the guy making it wasn't born yet in the sixties).Then there was the Green Hornets Car, I agree with the Dukes Dodge, Magnums Ferrari, but what the heck is Sanfords old truck in that list for? Needles to say the Knight Rider was just an old TA dressed up with a red disco light in the front bumper...not much of a car there???I think all the Munster mobiles should have been included, especially the Dragula! My friend actually had that car for two years and I was going to restore it but the original owner came back from Las Vegas and paid the back-storage here in Niagara, so we could not get the vehicle on a mechanics lean. That was a cool car! It was a coffin with a big block Ford in it with cross ram dual quads for all you kiddies out there that don't know what I am talking about. Hand built one of a kind automobile!TV has many cool cars such as that Coyote used in a very minor series (can't think of the name) which was a mid engine car and would make some awesome jump scenes on camera! There are so many others that I can't even begin to list them as I could ramble on for hours..................and you don't want that.Point is that every month someone comes up with a new list of something or other and not many can get them right as they were not even born yet!!!For this list I only agree with about half of it.[/quote']Hardcastle and McCormick is the show with the Coyote. I have a photo.I too thought about the Munster mobile. Why was that not in there?I'm thinking we're forgeting an obvious car that we have not yet thought of that should be there.

• Administrators

The Coyote should have been in there too, no doubt.I just bough all three seasons on DVD last month.Cool car! Love to own one after the Daytona.

Now that is a definitive list worth noting for sure ! Thanks JN for the find as this is probably the best one so far. I loved Tigers and actually know a guy here in Niagara Falls who owns a blue on. my friend did the engine in the car over again and believe me that little 289 was a tight fit!I also loved the "Man from Uncle" car. I remember when I was a kid I got a briefcase for xmas that was the MfU secret case. It shot plastic bullets and had a folding machine gun inside as well as a camera that actually took real pictures. all the regular spy stuff for any eight year old..... sorry off topic.Once car that looks very similar to the MfU car was the vehicle used in the Sci Fi series UFO. They had two of them and one is still in existance being rebuilt. It also had gullwing doors.I also liked the Rolls Royce that Anderson used in the Thunderbirds Series. It had four front tires and they all turned! Bubble top and of course it was pink for Lady Penelope.ok enough reminissing......................

I also loved the "Man from Uncle" car. ok enough reminissing......................
This whole site is about reminissing!! (I have spent the last two nights watching ADAM-12 Season 3' date=' and wishing I had a Plymouth Belvedere in black and white with the mickey mouse ear can lights!!!)So for Stinger 390x(and any other UNCLE fans on this site)[url']http://www.c-we.com/piranha/index.htmhttp://www.c-we.com/piranha/shrtstry.htm

Thanks pal. That sixties chick also turns my lights on too!!!!Speaking of Belvedere's....Years ago I was at Sauble Beach and I met a guy with a plain four door Bevedere and it was painted light green. It looked fabulous as an old car (it was a 69') but it had small badges on the front fender with 426 Hemi on it. I had to ask.............................He raised the hood for me and sure enough this plain green four door with little hubcaps and skinny bias ply redwall tires had a true and entact Hemi!!!I asked what the story was and he told me he was a cop in the Owen Sound detachment of the OPP. He bought the car when it was decomishioned as it was his old cruiser. He restored it to the state I saw it in. It was a beautiful site for sure.He also told me about a Hemi Dart.Dart you ask....Yes they built it specially for a chase car. Could you imagine a small unibody chassis with that powerhouse in it, four doors black with white doors and of course the cherry on top. I think it would grab anyones attention?Those Owen Sound cops built some badass cars in it's day. Don't mess with the boys in blue in northern Ontario.....

A Dart Rocket. Amazing. Probably scary to drive with that much power and such a small frame and the tires were probably standard sedan tires for the time. Wow!!

I have done a lot of builds in my day but that story always comes to mind when I see the young kids on sunday nights here in Niagara Falls and their rice rockets. It's sad that this "Fast and Furious" Culture have no idea what raw horsepower really is! Everything is NOS and big steroes and amplifiers that need three alternators to operate!:evil:

Sanford and Sons Ford Pickup? they never used it in the show, it's only action scene if I remember correctly was in the intro sequenceand the la vista cruiser' is just an ugly wagon that also had no action scenes whatsoever either, home improvements lovely chevy is a far better choice station wagon wise and had plenty of action shots to boot.Strange that the Daytona's not on the list, she's the car that made Miami Vice famous, the Testa, well.... not so much.My list 1. Trans Am Kitt2. The A Team Van3. Dukes Of Hazzard Charger4. The Daytona5. Magnum's Various 308's6. Ashes To Ashes 83' Quattro7. The Cuda'8. The Testa'9. Home Improvements 55' Nomad10. Home Improvements 33' Ford11. The Saints Volvo P180012. Rockford's long suffering Pontiac Esprit13. Tubbs' Lyndale blue 64' Caddie14. Life On Mars' 1973/1974 Cortina15. The Sweeney's 1974 Ford Consul16. Get Smart's Sunbeam Tiger17. The Green Hornets 1966 Imperal18. Batman's Lincoln Futura - Never really been a fan of the old batman series.Never seen Hardcastle and McCormick and I have only seen bits and pieces of the Munsters, none of which had that hotrod car of theres in it, hence why there not on the list.

18. Batman's Lincoln Futura - Never really been a fan of the old batman series.Never seen Hardcastle and McCormick and I have only seen bits and pieces of the Munsters' date=' none of which had that hotrod car of theres in it, hence why there not on the list.[/quote']two errors there...The Munsters actually made a full length movie called "Munster Go Home" where they had a road race with the "Dragula" the coffin car. In the series you saw the Munster coach in the intro and ending and they used it in a couple of episodes too.As for Batman...it was a corny series but it was supposed to be! Apparently they had a good time making it as every time Robin would say something straightfaced they all broke out in laughter and had to do many re-takes. There are dozens of outakes as they had a good time making this comedy. It was also the first series to have a heavily modified car as the centre of attention. It was never really done before that and the Lincoln Futura was extremely modified!Another thing is I met George Barris years ago and he told me a story of the Batmobile(s). there were actually three of them originally. Two were black lacquer cars and one was black felt - the show car used in the circuit in it's day. The two black lacquer cars were always rotated as Batman was always denting or scratching the car during filming such as the scene where he comes out of the batcave and the road barrier drops and the the trees separate. That was actually paper mache, not rocks, but they sped the film up to make it look like 90mph but it was actually really about 60mph. Adam West would have had a few coctails for lunch and they would shoot the scene and he was bouncing off the sides of the walls while filming. OOOOPS! Get the other car in here and lets try again. Send the other to Barris's bodyshop for repair!!! hahahahahahahahahaTrue story...Barris told that story to me back in 1984 when I met him at the Toronto Car show where I had my car entered.