Episode 1 Brother's Keeper

miamijimf

Posted: 20 October 2006 at 6:34am by SOFLAJEREMYCaroline's house which I originaly thought was a set (as it is in hit list) but is actually the same house as used for scotty wheeler'sEingefügtes Bild

Posted: 21 October 2006 at 5:37am by SOFLAJEREMYI am going to skip the drive with leon for now because I have most of the locations down it is not complete so I will continue to work on it. Next tubbs is in a strip club this occurrs at the omni Eingefügtes Bild

Posted: 21 October 2006 at 5:52am by SOFLAJEREMYthen they move north 18 blocks up us 1 to what is now a super 8 motel at ne 34th and us 1 for tubbs in his hotel room Eingefügtes Bild

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 7:44am by SOFLAJEREMYgoing back for a second to leon's drive. starts here and the 8th "cut" in the driving sequence is just around the block. Eingefügtes Bild

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 7:50am by SOFLAJEREMYfirst three mobile cuts are here going back and forth. first southbound then northbound and then southbound again Eingefügtes Bild

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 8:19am by SOFLAJEREMYthere is a cut in the driving scene that I am trying to place. In the bg the bottom of a vertically oriented sign is seen. Appears to be a south beach hotel with the last three letters being ONT. Anyone have a suggestion

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 2:03pm by DanJThe best I can do for you there is that might be the tail end of something like "OceanFrONT."I do recognize the corner in the background behind Crockett at about 24:20, right after Leon says, "...unless, of course, you up your status a bit." They are crossing 5th Street and Collins, heading southbound. The parking lot and supermarket in the background (Northwest corner of 5th & Collins) are gone today, replaced by a multilevel building which I think may be part parking garage.A moment later at about 24:30, right after Leon says, "...if you're still interested..." the camera cuts back to Crockett. They finish crossing 5th & Collins heading south and you see the southwest corner of the intersection. I believe the building on that corner is still there today.Interesting, because when the camera cuts to Leon they are somewhere around 15th & Collins heading north but when the camera cuts to Crockett they are around 5th Street & Collins heading South!

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 4:47pm by MATT5The best I can do is I know the Fairwind is on Collins and in 1984 was named the FairmONT ......same building perhaps just thought Id throw it in. There were segments of that scene filmed between 5th and 15th streets on Collins and the Fairwind/Fairmont is at Collins and 10th street. Also seen in "Jack of All Trades "

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 5:23pm by SOFLAJEREMYAwesome info guys thank you for the help Posted: 30 October 2006 at 5:25am by SOFLAJEREMYthis is the segment of the mia river seen as they approach the drug deal meet Eingefügtes Bild

Posted: 01 November 2006 at 6:42pm by DanJOriginally posted by DanJI do recognize the corner in the background behind Crockett at about 24:20, right after Leon says, "...unless, of course, you up your status a bit." They are crossing 5th Street and Collins, heading southbound. The parking lot and supermarket in the background (Northwest corner of 5th & Collins) are gone today, replaced by a multilevel building which I think may be part parking garage.Here's a picture I took yesterday of that intersection. It shows the building that replaced the parking lot/supermarket in the MV driving scene. It is a combination of shops and parking garage. Sorry about the cloudy weather conditions:Eingefügtes Bild In the picture above, the City National Bank building looks very much like the same building in the episode. It was a different color back then and probably home to a different business, most likely another bank. The windows, however, look the same as in the episode. Below is another view of this corner:Originally posted by DanJA moment later at about 24:30, right after Leon says, "...if you're still interested..." the camera cuts back to Crockett. They finish crossing 5th & Collins heading south and you see the southwest corner of the intersection. I believe the building on that corner is still there today.Here's another view of Collins & 5th:Eingefügtes BildIn this picture not only do we see a different view of City National, but we also see - on the left edge in front of the silver truck - a concrete rail with a unique style to it. This rail is visible at around the 24:30 mark, for barely a couple of frames, just before the next cut.

Posted: 30 November 2006 at 1:57pm by DanJTo continue this thread, I'm submitting a picture I took of the Julia Tuttle Causeway. This replicates the scene where C&T drive off and Crockett asks Tubbs if he'd consider a carreer in southern law enforcement. Jeremy posted his version of this pic in the Location Trivia thread recently - I hope he won't mind me posting my version here.Eingefügtes BildI haven't checked the ep since I took this picture so for all I know I might have been facing the wrong direction, but the above looks pretty close to the original scene IMO. If y'all have proof that the angle was westbound instead of eastbound, let me know and I will endeavor to go back out and get the correct shot.

Posted: 12 January 2007 at 10:18pm by MATT5Originally posted by SOFLAJEREMYI am trying to fill in gaps in my location list. While it is quite clear from the address seen in the bg the pilot starts (and history made) on w 16th st in NYNY. . SoflaJeremy - I would just like to clear up something when (on your map on page one of this thread )talks to people on bench from car - you have highlited that area - do you have exact address ?and what is Greenhouse? hope you can help? Okay Ive found Greenhouse ( Wintergarden Theatre) where Cats played as seen in a montage from Prodigal Son.

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 2:00am by SOFLAJEREMY OK turtle shell bar. Just realized an overlooked clue plastic drinking glasses from bar have name on them with a sailboat logo. Name looks like hocles or hokes or something like that I am working now on getting a clearer shot and researching it but I figured I would let you all know so you could investigate also.

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 3:22am by MATT5Thanks - I will look into that one also - we know its on the beach! Posted: 09 March 2007 at 3:33am by airtommy What the heck are you guys talking about??? Posted: 09 March 2007 at 5:26am by SOFLAJEREMYTurtle shell bar is a location we have been trying to sus out for a while Danj thinks it is on key biscayne and I think he is probably correct. the area is void of high rise condos so probably not sobe. just was watching ep and saw logo on glass Its where leon goes after the courthouse and never goes anywhere else after that Posted: 09 March 2007 at 6:10am by airtommyThanks, now I see. Here is the original thread on that topic.

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 2:26am by SOFLAJEREMYcontinuing with the drive...cut 4 is on washington ave going by 8th in sobe Eingefügtes Bild

Posted: 28 May 2007 at 4:45am by SOFLAJEREMYunsure of 5th cut in driving scene but 6th is on Collins between 9th and 10th. 7th cut is collins southbound thru 5th, then 8th cut is Collins running up to tropics. 9th cut is back at collins and 5th. cut 10 is collins between 16th and lincoln and finally cut 11 is just south of 5th on collins Posted: 28 May 2007 at 4:59am by SOFLAJEREMYOriginally posted by MATT5The best I can do is I know the Fairwind is on Collins and in 1984 was named the FairmONT ......same building perhaps just thought Id throw it in. There were segments of that scene filmed between 5th and 15th streets on Collins and the Fairwind/Fairmont is at Collins and 10th street. Also seen in "Jack of All Trades "thanks for the help this was the one I was looking for as they drove by in the pilot. This pic I took last november to nearly complete my pilot location log.Eingefügtes Bild

Posted: 07 June 2007 at 7:19am by airtommyOriginally posted by SOFLAJEREMYmajority of boat chase was here including turn after missing barge I can match up several houses on Bird's Eye. Cool! I had been wondering about that barge scene. For some reason, I was thinking Biscayne Bay. I don't think you meant to place your marker "Crockett parks hotr" on Pine Tree Drive, did you? It looks like he is around 4900-ish Collins. When Tubbs turns off Indian Creek and gets away from Crockett (Crockett parks), the official name is Flamingo Waterway (in case you want to put that in your location log). Posted: 08 June 2007 at 4:13am by SOFLAJEREMYsorry about the ge marker it is in the right location I just did not turn it off for this snag. It is from a different episode, hotr. Posted: 08 June 2007 at 4:21am by SOFLAJEREMYdead give away on barge scene is the famous eden rock hotel is seen in the bg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted: 08 June 2007 at 6:31am by airtommyOK, now I see (HOTR = Heroes of the Revolution). Originally posted by SOFLAJEREMYdead give away on barge scene is the famous eden rock hotel is seen in the bgUnfortunately, not famous to me. I was recently GE-ing a scene on the beach and AFTER I figured out the location I THEN realized the background building was the Fontainebleu. Posted: 10 September 2007 at 3:55am by SOFLAJEREMYOriginally posted by SOFLAJEREMYOK turtle shell bar. Just realized an overlooked clue plastic drinking glasses from bar have name on them with a sailboat logo. Name looks like hocles or hokes or something like that I am working now on getting a clearer shot and researching it but I figured I would let you all know so you could investigate also. Looks like plastic drink glass with sailboat says "HOCK'S" I did a quick search and it turned up this http://www.siestakeybeachrentals.com/siesta-key-attractions-turtle-beach.htm? more than a coincidence that his bar is named turtle shell I think. Maybe this same guy owned over here on Miami Beach or Key Biscayne back then. Seems like a good lead to follow up on which I will but I figured I would let you ace detectives know so you could follow up also and see if we can dig anything up. Posted: 12 September 2007 at 5:22am by SOFLAJEREMYI had thought previously that the ocb interior in the pilot was not the same offices that we see later in the series but I had put this idea off into the back of my head, untill now. As I watched the ep tonight I thought about it and realized for sure it is a different place. I suspect that means that the set had not yet been built and they used a real location to set up the ocb. This may mean that the location still exist! I have a suspect locale in mind and I will check it out on my next day off. wow just think the original miami vice headquarters may still exist!!! Posted: 12 September 2007 at 6:54pm by airtommyI watched the scene and I agree it does look different. I'm fascinated to hear what the suspected location is!

Posted: 13 September 2007 at 2:29am by SOFLAJEREMY Later in the ep they go to move calderone from the lock up to another jail and find out he has been released. This occurs at an oil co. on the north side of the Miami river as posted in the episode trivia section. When I was there I had not been thinking of the ocb being anywhere but Greenwich Studios, but now that I think about it when I was there taking pictures from the above scene the place looked alot like the pilot episodes ocb offices. Correct style, construction,and feel, even having the glass block windows. I shall go there soon with the blue print drawing I was able to draw from the several scenes in the pilot movie.Stay tuned....Posted: 13 September 2007 at 3:11am by airtommyC&T go to move Calderone from the lockup to another jail (but find out he has been released): 3033 NW North River Drive Here is a photo http://www.jbsmiamivice.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/pt7.jpg[edit] Hey, that's just across the river from the where Tubbs steals Crockett's boat!Posted: 13 September 2007 at 4:00am by SOFLAJEREMY99.6% CONFIRMED I was just looking at some photos I had taken inside the building upon my previous vist for the above mentioned scene and its a lock. Same ceiling tiles, same size, same little rectangular windows built in above the doors its a match I just need to go back and take photos at the appropriate angles to recreate the office scene but its a match No wonder I felt as though I was standing in speacial holy ground the last time I was there. Posted: 26 September 2007 at 12:30pm by MATT5SoflaJeremy - did you go back and confrim this one with photos? Posted: 26 September 2007 at 9:11pm by SOFLAJEREMYYes, Danj and I went there last thursday and were given a tour by two very helpful employees one who was familiar with MV history of the building and one who was not familiar with it but was very helpful unlocking doors and giving us access to the building. In the end we sussed out that the ocb was on the second floor which matches the room numbers seen in the pilot which is actually the ground floor as seen from the street. We were given the name and phone number for the person to call to have the lights turned on in the ocb area so we could get pictures but all seemed to match up. Will up date soon. Tomorrow I have a tour set up of Greenwich Studios, hopefully dan can join me. Posted: 26 September 2007 at 10:22pm by MATT5Originally posted by SOFLAJEREMY Tomorrow I have a tour set up of Greenwich Studios, hopefully dan can join me.Thats interesting about the "original " MV offices from the pilot - I would love to visit their. Re Greenwich Studios , I visited last Year , and the exteriors ( seen in "Stone's War", "El Viego" etc) match exactly today as 1986. All the soundstages are huge but no sign, obviously , of the MV Main Ocb Set. But a lot of people there are really into the history of Miami Vice. They even told me they had contacted MM in 2005 when he was filming the MV movie if he wanted to shoot at Greenwich Studios - but MM declined as he was shooting on location in Miami for four months ( and the MV Movie Production Offices were in fact based at the Greenberg Traurig Building on Brickell) Posted: 01 October 2007 at 4:10pm by SOFLAJEREMY Has anyone figured out where crockett pulls over and stops after tubbs makes his quick turn after missing the barge. All I know is it is no where near the place tubbs turns. There is a small divider in the road. It is near an intersection but I can't make out the street sign. Instead of water on the left side of the screen there is a park with a concrete looking wall. On the right side of the street as we look at it he goes by a stand of palm trees and stops in front of a sandwich shop. There is a very large building in the background at the start of this cut like downtown but it stands alone with no other high-rise buildings seen in the scene. and of course it happens on a curve which there are few of down here but I can't place it anyone anyone class anyone?Posted: 01 October 2007 at 5:32pm by DanJFor the longest time I tended to think this was at around Collins and 23rd, in front of the Roney Plaza. But further scrutiny suggests elsewhere. Let's break this down a bit, shall we?At aproximately 33:36 Crockett comes up the road in the White Camaro:Eingefügtes BildThe clues in the above screen capture are:1.Road bends to the driver's left2.There is a park in the background3.There is a structure visible between the Camaro and the truck with the broken headlight4.There is what looks like a gate on the left edge of the picture, above the yellow and green fire hydrant (Jeremy has informed me that fire hydrant colors tend to be a big location clue)5.There are two waste cans visible along the sidewalk6.Lighting poles7.At first it appears to be a one-way street, but as the scene plays we see that there is a median in the roadLet's look ahead a few seconds now. At aproximately 33:38 the Camaro comes closer and the camera position shifts to reveal a vital background clue:Eingefügtes BildCall me crazy, but that building in the background sure as heck looks the Intercontinental Hotel on Biscayne Boulevard in downtown Miami (Or maybe the Citigroup building next door)! Assuming the aforementioned is correct, then the park in the first picture above is Bayfront Park (Bayside had not been built yet), and the structure visible between the two vehicles is the Torch Of Freedom at Biscayne Boulevard between 3rd and 4th Streets.If all the above is correct, then IMO Crockett comes to a stop somewhere between 4th and 5th street (1 block short of the Freedom Tower). The sandwich shop, etc., across the street behind him had to have been on the ground floor of whatever building was there at the time (Columbus or Everglades hotel?), which at present as far as I can tell is a parking lot.How does that strike ya?

Posted: 01 October 2007 at 5:53pm by SOFLAJEREMY I was thinking the same building but what throws me off is that is the only hi-rise seen. Were there that many less buildings back then. You are likely correct. It just looks so differently today that I am thrown off. I will have to check it out but you sure sound right. Posted: 01 October 2007 at 6:02pm by DanJ Originally posted by SOFLAJEREMYWere there that many less buildings back then?Are you kidding? Look at how fast stuff is springing up all around us lately! NOTE: Bayside, International Place and Miami Arena are but three properties whose construction is chronicled in MV. I believe we also saw the birth of Cocowalk in "Missing Hours," not to mention the demolition of what stood before it in "Out Where The Buses Don't Run." Posted: 01 October 2007 at 6:54pm by airtommyInteresting. I'll check out the DVD tonight, but to me the background building doesn't look like any downtown buildings. It looks like it has solid horizontal stripes, like these two buildings. But those buildings are on Brickell, and the sandwich shop couldn't have been on Brickell! And that road can't be Brickell. A road with only three lanes going the same direction, then suddenly there's a median and you see traffic the other way - that's very unique, and Biscayne sure seems like the right place. P.S. Hasn't Biscayne Blvd's curve been reshaped and the road re-landscaped since the 1980s?

Posted: 01 October 2007 at 8:31pm by SOFLAJEREMY Yup but such a tremendous change still amazes me. btw out where the buses dont run doll house was not replaced by coco walk. thats accross the street from where they were. Posted: 05 October 2007 at 12:57am by MATT5Originally posted by airtommyInteresting. I'll check out the DVD tonight, but to me the background building doesn't look like any downtown buildings. It looks like it has solid horizontal stripes, Yes - I noticed that too the horizontal stripes put me off too. The Intercontinental and the Citibank along with Wachovia are all pretty close by to each other - and all three were there when the pilot was shot in 1984. The horizontal stripes on the building seen in Dan's screen capture - kind of remind me of the Knight Centre in Downtown. Posted: 06 October 2007 at 12:35am by DanJ MATT5, the Knight Center looks quite different from the Intercontinental. The three buildings you're thinking of - two of which now have different names - are, yes, close together from certain angles, such as from Biscayne Bay looking west toward downtown Miami. From the street view we are discussing, however, they are actually quite apart from each other (See pic below for proof of this).GE3 was dispatched this afternoon despite heavy rain to capture the picture below, for comparison purposes. See how many elements you can match up to the MV scene in question:First, a recap of the screen captures:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildNow, today's GE3 recon picture:Eingefügtes BildNOTE: None of the highrises behind the Intercontinental in the picture above existed in 1984 - 85. The Citigroup building west of the Intercontinental may or may not have existed back then, but it is far enough away that it is not visible from this street view.

Posted: 31 October 2007 at 6:43pm by mariofuentessofla jeremy hi there been reading your posts great ep site hunting your doing .I was wondering if you could tell me where the berrays cafe is in brothers keeper where sonny calls caroline from the payphone where is that location ?? i searched this topic so that i did not rethread and no one has asked if there is a thread just point me to it .great job keep up the good work i am in melbourne fl if someone wants to go site hunting in miami let me know.Posted: 31 October 2007 at 7:10pm by airtommyThe scene near the end of the pilot when Crockett calls Caroline on the pay phone: RB said: "Bernay's Cafe was nothing but a neon sign over a non-working pay phone strategically placed on Watson Island with the city behind it. Lynette Bernay was one of our wardrobe people." Posted: 15 February 2008 at 12:04am by MATT5Originally posted by SOFLAJEREMYTurtle shell bar is a location we have been trying to sus out for a while Danj thinks it is on key biscayne and I think he is probably correct. the area is void of high rise condos so probably not sobe. just was watching ep and saw logo on glass Its where leon goes after the courthouse and never goes anywhere else after thatCheck this out theres a picture of a b/g building( distinctive looking building) near the bar - scene just after Leon was shot .Don't know if that helps at all. In fact theres another pic on that page from the Pilot at the bar , I believe, with Sonny reading the newspaper also a great behind the scenes shot from "The Prodigal Son" with a location airtommy found. So we can take it the early scene @ Glades Yacht was filmed July 10 , 1985 Eingefügtes BildPosted: 15 February 2008 at 3:58am by airtommyIs this the photo you mean, Matt? Very interesting . . . Eingefügtes BildPosted: 15 February 2008 at 4:19am by SOFLAJEREMYvery interesting very interesting indeed I am thinking key biscayne by ritz carlton Posted: 15 February 2008 at 2:21pm by MATT5Yes - that's the one I saw on the Burnett/Cooper Scrapbook section on the site - it gives a clear shot of the background building which I thought may help locate the beach bar. This is a behind the scenes photograph which shows that building well. The Side of the Ritz Carlton where SoflaJeremy mentions seems to be right - that building has been extensively remodelled though. I think getting on Maps Live and checking out it carefully with the dvd is what Im gonna do.Posted: 16 February 2008 at 5:15am BY SOFLAJEREMYbal harbor condos from montageEingefügtes Bildtook this picture a day ago and just kinda thought it was interesting and should share. From the roof of the bal harbor shops looking north past the condos we see in the pilot episodes opening montage but not in future montagesEingefügtes Bild

Posted: 24 August 2008 at 5:07am by SOFLAJEREMYThis location hunting for MV locations has spawned a new hobby for me with all movies filmed in south Florida. While MV takes priority I dabble in others. I was just watching Tony Rome to figure out where his marina was which I was able to do luckily and I thought I would share these cool pics from the intro taken as Frank Sinatra cruises toward shore. Seen in the bg is the frequently used locale of collins ave from Hilton past eden rock up along stretch seen in opening montage. Interesting how relatively undeveloped it was compared to even vice days but especially when compared to the present. Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildPosted: 01 March 2009 at 7:29pm by MATT5Originally posted by SOFLAJEREMYexotic car dealership from opening montageEingefügtes BildIm having difficulty matching this one up - is it North Miami or Biscayne Bvld ( near Omni ) ? ALSO at 56;55 at the start of the Lionel Richie "All Night Long" montage -there is a shot of a sunset / palm trees with what looks like the Dade County Courthouse in the far background - can anyone confirm this? Posted: 14 March 2009 at 9:29pm by SOFLAJEREMY the dealership is on US1 but further north in Ft lauderdale (Sunrise Blv.) You are right about the sunset. You can re-create the shot from bayside. with the build up in the area its best to shoot from atop the parking garage. Posted: 14 March 2009 at 9:29pm by MATT5Thanks for that - looks like the Ferrari dealership up in Lauderdale is now history , on Maps Live it appears on aerial but not on birds eye view. Still on the Pilot in the Opening Credit Sequence after the Beau Rivage Shot of the couple on the balcony which is shot from Collins Avenue - there is a beach shot with Rocks - is that Bal Harbor as I cant match any of the buildings up on Live - where in Bal Harbor is that ? Posted: 22 March 2009 at 11:58am by SOFLAJEREMY It is accross from the bal harbor shops. harder to line up that it looks like it should be. I will soon post a recreation shot I took recently to help line it up. Posted: 23 March 2009 at 1:58am by MATT5Thankyou - look forward to your recreation shot , the rocks have gone though it looks like ( I believe that shot is the only time it appeared in MV )