Episode 1 Brother's Keeper

miamijimf

Dade County Courthouse interior, also seen in Lombard (including the basement) and Glades.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 21.38.46.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 21.39.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 21.39.43.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 21.40.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 21.58.58.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

here are the episode comparisons as proof that it was always the same courtroom (there are multiple rooms) they used. All looks like 1984/85, even the carpet and paintings are still the same....:p Click to enlarge!

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 22.02.55.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 22.05.08.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 22.07.47.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 22.09.38.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-11 um 22.10.55.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it is Courtroom 6-3.  Lombard is sitting in front of 6-4, confirming they are on the 6th floor.  The configuration when they walk in the door (the camera view from the court room out the door) makes 6-3 the only correct fit on that floor.  But, I haven't been able to get inside to match the paintings on the wall.

• Like 2

vor 7 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

I'm sure it is Courtroom 6-3.  Lombard is sitting in front of 6-4, confirming they are on the 6th floor.  The configuration when they walk in the door (the camera view from the court room out the door) makes 6-3 the only correct fit on that floor.  But, I haven't been able to get inside to match the paintings on the wall.

Bingo! It is Room 6-3. See photo subtitles (photo on page 20 of attached document) and courthouse report attached.

https://www.miamidade.gov/planning/library/reports/ph2-dade-county-courthouse-interior-designation-report.pdf

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-24 um 09.01.19.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The club scenes with C&T, Trini de Soto and Calderone were filmed inside the OMNI, specifically the club Alexandre inside where (fun fact) Andy Garcia, later known Hollywood actor, was a running the light machine at that time. 

I found a rare 1977 pic of the dining room inside the OMNI that has lots of the elements of the club scenes, i.e. the floor and the seating corner walls. See comparison below.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-25 um 19.43.38.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-25 um 20.48.28.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-25 um 20.49.22.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
Interesting review on Amazon.  I wonder if he posts here?

Michael

5.0 out of 5 stars

The location of the "In The Air Tonight" scene

Reviewed in the United States on September 19, 2013

A famous scene from Miami Vice is the Crockett and Tubbs car trip while Phil Collins's "In The Air Tonight" plays ("Brother's Keeper," Season 1 Episode 1). For more than a decade, I wanted to know where the famous scene was filmed. I discovered the filming locations after I moved to Miami in January 2013. My enjoyment and interest in Miami Vice has increased since I became a resident of Miami.

During the "In The Air Tonight" scene, I paused the DVD at the elapsed time of 1 hour 23 minutes and 35 seconds (1h:23m:35s). I saw a lighted "Ocean Bank" sign. The building in the scene also has two large white columns that are illuminated at night. I used the satellite view and the street view on Google Maps to look at every Ocean Bank location in Miami. I went to the building that looked like the building in the scene. When I saw it in person, I confirmed that it was the same building shown on Miami Vice.

My trip to the Ocean Bank building allowed me to identify five buildings that are in the famous scene. There are two Miami Vice buildings at the intersection of NW 42nd Avenue and NW 7th Street in Miami: the Ocean Bank building (1h:23m:35s) and the Shell gas station (1h:23m:34s). The Shell gas station in 2013 was a Gulf station in 1984. There are two Miami Vice buildings at the intersection of NW 42nd Avenue and NW 3rd Street in Miami: Le Jeune House (1h:26m:31s) and the International House of Pancakes (IHOP) (1h:24m:05s). The Management Resources Institute building is between the Ocean Bank building and the IHOP. The Management Resources Institute building is at 550 NW 42nd Avenue (42nd Avenue is also called Le Jeune Road) (1h:26m:27s).

Some of the "In The Air Tonight" scene was filmed in another part of Miami (the Omni area). I made a trip to the Omni area. There are two Miami Vice buildings on Biscayne Boulevard in Miami: Carnival Tower (1h:26m:49s) and the Omni buildings (1h:26m:41s). Carnival Tower is at the NE 13th Street intersection. Carnival Tower is the small part of the Sears Building that was not demolished after Miami Vice was cancelled. A better view of the Sears Building is shown later in the show (1h:34m:24s). The Omni buildings are at the NE 15th Street intersection. The Omni buildings used to be the Omni International Mall.

The information that I gave in the previous paragraphs came from just one scene. Miami Vice was on television for five seasons. The five seasons of Miami Vice are described in five titles in the bonus material menu: The Vibe Of Vice (How Miami Vice changed television), Building The Perfect Vice, The Style Of Vice, The Music Of Vice, and Miami After Vice. The Miami Vice Season One DVD has six single-sided DVDs or three double-sided DVDs. The bonus material menu is on the first DVD of the six DVD set (and the three DVD set).
Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

The most recent paint job on the Carlyle.  I like the colors it had when the Pilot was filmed best but this isn't a bad look.

291955219_10158507330355095_2339166098553760705_n.thumb.jpg.8dd70a7a87a30f54716e4209a9c9b067.jpg

• Like 4

vor 10 Stunden schrieb miamijimf:

The most recent paint job on the Carlyle.  I like the colors it had when the Pilot was filmed best but this isn't a bad look.

291955219_10158507330355095_2339166098553760705_n.thumb.jpg.8dd70a7a87a30f54716e4209a9c9b067.jpg

at least they are dumping the communist all-white they have painted all Ocean Drive since the 80s and go back some steps towards the original colors, although green is not a good choice.:birdie:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

at least they are dumping the communist all-white they have painted all Ocean Drive since the 80s and go back some steps towards the original colors, although green is not a good choice.:birdie:

That color palette is appropriate for the Art Deco era of the building.  It may not be accurate for that particular building, but it is from that time.  Preservationists often take paint samples that include a dozen or more layers going back to the original.  They give owners options for appropriate historical choices.  I would suspect that something very like this color scheme existed in the earliest years of the building.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A nice early 1970s shot of the stretch we see a few times in the Pilot ( in particular the car / boat chase) of Collins Avenue / 44th St looking north.

D1B3542C-E456-4849-9327-0ABFCF192216.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 8/24/2009 at 8:59 PM, miamijimf said:

Posted: 13 September 2007 at 2:29am by SOFLAJEREMY Later in the ep they go to move calderone from the lock up to another jail and find out he has been released. This occurs at an oil co. on the north side of the Miami river as posted in the episode trivia section.

How was this Calderone jail location discovered?  There are no clues in the scene and he didn't have this script.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

How was this Calderone jail location discovered?  There are no clues in the scene and he didn't have this script.

I assume you gotta ask him. This leads back to the original question why CGlide has not been on this site since May 2021, whereas he is posting on Facebook still. 

As far as I can remember, he got a tip from someone on the set about this Bunnel Foundation building being used and when he went there in person, he found the spot of the jail scenes.

Edited by Tom

10 hours ago, Tom said:

As far as I can remember, he got a tip from someone on the set about this Bunnel Foundation building being used and when he went there in person, he found the spot of the jail scenes.

That must be the case.  None of these scenes gave any clues.  He first posted about it in a trivia thread that has been lost.

Being a real Vice nut and fan of Miami locations I saved a lot of the old location finding posts.  Here is what I found

posted by SouthFloridaJeremy a.k.a.CGlide:  

Posted: 13 September 2007 at 2:29am

Later in the ep they go to move calderone from the lock up to another jail and find out he has been released.  This occurs at an oil co. on the north side of the Miami river as posted in the episode trivia section.  When I was there I had not been thinking of the ocb being anywhere but Greenwich Studios, but now that I think about it when I was there taking pictures from the above scene the place looked alot like the pilot episodes ocb offices.  Correct style, construction,and feel, even having the glass block windows.  I shall go there soon with the blue print drawing I was able to draw from the several scenes in the pilot movie.Stay tuned....

posted by airtommy:

posted: 13 September 2007 at 3:11am

C&T go to move Calderone from the lockup to another jail (but find out he has been released):

3033 NW North River Drive

Click here for a photo  (Jim's note: no photo showed up)

[edit] Hey, that's just across the river from the where Tubbs steals Crockett's boat!

And later: Posted: 13 September 2007

Originally posted by SOFLAJEREMY
99.6% CONFIRMED   I was just looking at some photos I had taken inside the building upon my previous vist for the above mentioned scene and its a lock.   Same ceiling tiles, same size, same little rectangular windows built in above the doors its a match  I just need to go back and take photos at the appropriate angles to recreate the office scene but its a match  No wonder I felt as though I was standing in speacial holy ground the last time I was there.

• Like 2

vor 28 Minuten schrieb miamijimf:

Being a real Vice nut and fan of Miami locations I saved a lot of the old location finding posts.  Here is what I found

posted by SouthFloridaJeremy a.k.a.CGlide:  

Posted: 13 September 2007 at 2:29am

Later in the ep they go to move calderone from the lock up to another jail and find out he has been released.  This occurs at an oil co. on the north side of the Miami river as posted in the episode trivia section.  When I was there I had not been thinking of the ocb being anywhere but Greenwich Studios, but now that I think about it when I was there taking pictures from the above scene the place looked alot like the pilot episodes ocb offices.  Correct style, construction,and feel, even having the glass block windows.  I shall go there soon with the blue print drawing I was able to draw from the several scenes in the pilot movie.Stay tuned....

posted by airtommy:

posted: 13 September 2007 at 3:11am

C&T go to move Calderone from the lockup to another jail (but find out he has been released):

3033 NW North River Drive

Click here for a photo  (Jim's note: no photo showed up)

[edit] Hey, that's just across the river from the where Tubbs steals Crockett's boat!

And later: Posted: 13 September 2007

Originally posted by SOFLAJEREMY
99.6% CONFIRMED   I was just looking at some photos I had taken inside the building upon my previous vist for the above mentioned scene and its a lock.   Same ceiling tiles, same size, same little rectangular windows built in above the doors its a match  I just need to go back and take photos at the appropriate angles to recreate the office scene but its a match  No wonder I felt as though I was standing in speacial holy ground the last time I was there.

What would we do without your archives? :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was there around the same time. A lot of homeless folks must hang around there at night cuz I took this pic very early in the morning (before the sun was up) and the place reeked of urine.

IMG_20210506_064817728.jpg

• Like 3