Episode 1 Brother's Keeper

miamijimf

Some great shots of Collins Avenue from 54th-42nd Streets and the Eden Roc Hotel as Crockett  chases Tubbs along the Intercoastral - enjoyed "Brother's Keeper" in Hd last nite 

:D

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I like when Crockett calls for backup to "550 Belinda Street" (to arrest Scotty Wheeler).  I wonder if this was in the script or an ad lib by Don Johnson.  In real life, he is sitting at 550 NE 51st Street, but it is the same house where they filmed the scenes with Caroline, who of course is played by Belinda Montgomery.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bilders said:

Too bad the house is in a gated community so we can't see it!

My recollection is that you can get in without any difficulty, at least during the daytime.  I think the gate opened automatically for me without the guard even stepping out to talk to me.  There is a major public park in the neighborhood.  If the guard does ask you anything, just say you are going to the park or say you are just looking at houses.  

The only gated community I ever failed to get into was Anchorage Way.

• Like 1

After C&T meet with Trini Desoto at the Clay Hotel, they go for a quick daytime drive (around the 56th minute of the DVD).  CGlide wasn't 100% sure where they filmed Cut 3 of this scene.

http://www.miamivicelocations.org/page10.html

I've nailed this down as 4700 block.   This is the beginning of Cut 3:

Bro_Keep2.png

That building behind them is the Mimosa condominium at 4747 Collins Ave.  Here is a backside view of the Mimosa from the beach:

Bro_Keep3.png

Note the pattern starting from the back:

1. 3 big windows
  2. 2 small windows
  3. 5 big windows
  4. 2 small windows

I love it that Google Street View now goes on the beach!   :dance2:

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, airtommy said:

My recollection is that you can get in without any difficulty, at least during the daytime.  I think the gate opened automatically for me without the guard even stepping out to talk to me.  There is a major public park in the neighborhood.  If the guard does ask you anything, just say you are going to the park or say you are just looking at houses.  

The only gated community I ever failed to get into was Anchorage Way.

Would love to see how it looks now. As you can imagine I tried to see it on Google Street View but there's no way in!

" I trusted you, you bastard! I TRUSTED YOU! I trusted you..."

At the end of the episode, C&T are racing to Watson Island to stop Calderone's plane (Jan Hammer's "Chase" in the background).  There are several unidentified cuts which are pretty much impossible to find, but I think Cut #4 could conceivably be found.    This is around 1:33:34, right after Tubbs is yelling into the phone for backup "No, it's Four Four!"

Bro_Keep4.png

This should be somewhere on Biscayne Blvd between 22nd St and 14th St.  Either these arches still exist today or maybe somebody will recognize them from another MV scene.  "Down For the Count" and "Phil the Shill" were filmed in this area.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

It's time for something special!  I've found one of the clips in the legendary "In the Air Tonight" driving scene.  It is Cut 6, right AFTER Tubbs says "25 minutes" and right BEFORE they get to Watson Island for the famous payphone call to Caroline.

They are driving northbound on SW 42nd Avenue (a.k.a. La Jeune Road) from SW 5th Terrace to SW 4th Street.

I grappled with it for a long time until I finally forced myself to draw a sketch of all the medians that they pass, including the shape of each one and whether it is grass or concrete.  Once I did that, it only took me a few minutes looking at HistoricAerials.com to find the location.  There are a series of short walls on the right side of the road that you can match up if you go through the scene slowly and follow up the road on Google Street View.

Note the wall with matching indentation and the bus stop / bench:

Bro_Keep5.png

Bro_Keep6.png

And this little house on the left:

Bro_Keep7.png

Bro_Keep8.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

Right after the "In the Air Tonight" scene, they meet and catch Calderone.  CGlide says:

• "They go to the drug deal on the Miami River. I believe this is the same location as the first meet where crockett's boat is stolen by Tubbs. I have not yet confirmed this 100% but it looks like a match."

I have found a number of details which confirm it.  At one point across the river you can see a bus drive by.  Looking at the Miami-Dade transit map, you can see that buses only travel along the river in one small stretch and it is just across the river from the Leon meet:

https://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/system-maps-web.pdf

Also, check out the white building with matching windows and the round storage tanks:

Bro_Keep9.png

Bro_Keep10.png

red = location of Calderone meet and Leon meet

blue = the "jail" where C&T go in the next scene, also where they filmed the OCB interior scenes in this episode

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 4

When Corky drives Crockett and Eddie to the "59th Street Bridge", CGlide says:

• "Cut 15 is the Edgewater Beach Hotel, long gone now but seen again in No Exit."

wp299cef45_06.png wp2deae09c_06.png

I studied both scenes but I don't see any common features.  Am I missing something?

Looking at the pic below, the building on the left is fairly unique in that it is very narrow, only 3 windows across.  I cannot find a matching location anywhere on Ocean, Collins, or Washington.

Bro_Keep11.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

@airtommy You are a freak of nature in the best sense of the term! Such fantastic scouting. I enjoy checking these threads to see how much further you and other members have contributed to fine tuning the locations! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

On March 8, 2016 at 3:46 AM, Bilders said:

@airtommy You are a freak of nature in the best sense of the term! Such fantastic scouting. I enjoy checking these threads to see how much further you and other members have contributed to fine tuning the locations! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!   I love the hunt.  This is so much more intriguing than crossword puzzles and sudokus.  :)  It's great we have this great group of location fans to share this with.  I took a 4-5 year break and when I came back I was worried this place would be deserted.

There are still 4 out of 10 cuts in the "In the Air Tonight" scene which haven't been located.  All 4 have visible clues.  If they were filmed on 42nd Ave, they probably will be found.  If they were filmed on Biscayne Blvd, they might never be found because so many buildings have been demolished there.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:51 PM, airtommy said:

It's time for something special!  I've found one of the clips in the legendary "In the Air Tonight" driving scene.  It is Cut 6, right AFTER Tubbs says "25 minutes" and right BEFORE they get to Watson Island for the famous payphone call to Caroline.

They are driving northbound on SW 42nd Avenue (a.k.a. La Jeune Road) from SW 5th Terrace to SW 4th Street.

I grappled with it for a long time until I finally forced myself to draw a sketch of all the medians that they pass, including the shape of each one and whether it is grass or concrete.  Once I did that, it only took me a few minutes looking at HistoricAerials.com to find the location.  There are a series of short walls on the right side of the road that you can match up if you go through the scene slowly and follow up the road on Google Street View.

Note the wall with matching indentation and the bus stop / bench:

Bro_Keep5.png

Bro_Keep6.png

And this little house on the left:

Bro_Keep7.png

Bro_Keep8.png

Great work, I will update my site soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:47 AM, airtommy said:

When Corky drives Crockett and Eddie to the "59th Street Bridge", CGlide says:

• "Cut 15 is the Edgewater Beach Hotel, long gone now but seen again in No Exit."

wp299cef45_06.png wp2deae09c_06.png

I studied both scenes but I don't see any common features.  Am I missing something?

Looking at the pic below, the building on the left is fairly unique in that it is very narrow, only 3 windows across.  I cannot find a matching location anywhere on Ocean, Collins, or Washington.

Bro_Keep11.png

You are correct. That is the Starlite Hotel. 750 Ocean Drive.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2016 at 5:27 AM, airtommy said:

After C&T meet with Trini Desoto at the Clay Hotel, they go for a quick daytime drive (around the 56th minute of the DVD).  CGlide wasn't 100% sure where they filmed Cut 3 of this scene.

http://www.miamivicelocations.org/page10.html

I've nailed this down as 4700 block.   This is the beginning of Cut 3:

Bro_Keep2.png

That building behind them is the Mimosa condominium at 4747 Collins Ave.  Here is a backside view of the Mimosa from the beach:

Bro_Keep3.png

Note the pattern starting from the back:

1. 3 big windows
  2. 2 small windows
  3. 5 big windows
  4. 2 small windows

I love it that Google Street View now goes on the beach!   :dance2:

As seen 4747 Collins Avenue ( The Mimosa) seen behind C&T as they head Northbound on Collins

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.8225042,-80.1224985,3a,60y,144.13h,106.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjwl-7o_DoYtvsioqHmfUIQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en