Episode #7 "No Exit"

Ferrariman

• 7 months later...

Bruce Willis did a great job in this as an arms smuggler. Not a very likeable guy, though! The most dramatic part is at the end when his wife is going to shoot him & Crockett yells, Noooooo! Tubbs is always cool as an island-dude. Although Amato was a real fink, I liked when he pushed his wife into the pool. I know, I'm sick! The music was good. Phil Collins'-"I Don't Care Anymore" & Pendergrass'- "Stay With Me" I rate this episode 7, for lack of action. Yes, Ell.a it's strange Stan & Larry didn't show their badges. I would have moved though with all the confusion.

• Like 2

Tony, Love those songs in the episode. Bruce did a great job in this and looked so good back then. I had many favorite parts in this episode. On the boat where they are watching and listening. How upset Sonny gets with Tony beating and putting down Rita. When Sonny makes the hit man leave and pretends to be him until he understands what's going on and asks Rita to help out. Oh he felt so bad to put her back in there with Tony as he had to listen. Also liked how they got in with Lester. Crockett reading the magizine for the guns..lol......nice view of the water and boat too. And I have to agree pushing Rita in the water showed even more how he took her as a thing to have like a shoe and not a person. And Sonny yelling No to Rita knowing that she would go to jail, but she was in prison anyway living with Tony. That's how she looked at it I think. Are we rating these out 1-10? Well in my book it's and 8. Sue

• Like 1

I really liked this episode. The way Stan runs into that kid:D:D,I wonder if it was written that or or if it was an accident? I wasn't a real big Phil Collins fan,until I started watching Vice. When Switek and Zito pull up in the van and you hear those opening bars of the song...IMO when he gave his wife those earrings,I thought there might be a chance of hope,but alas....

I really liked this episode. The way Stan runs into that kid:D:D' date='I wonder if it was written that or or if it was an accident? I wasn't a real big Phil Collins fan,until I started watching Vice. When Switek and Zito pull up in the van and you hear those opening bars of the song...IMO when he gave his wife those earrings,I thought there might be a chance of hope,but alas....[/quote']Ahhh, Amber it was his way of covering up his bad. But when she didn't do as he wanted he just went and hit her again. Sad, but they showed how it really is for some poor women out there. Sue

• Administrators

i'm a little bit undetermined about this episode.there are some really awesome elements like the opening scene at ocean drive, tubbs 'undercover appearance' in jeans, a heat-like shooting, the pink house and of course: 'bad guy' toni amato. i also like the growing conflict between fbi and vice which will also matter in further episodes.BUT: there are some disturbing factors like * the pensioners at the beach. they are led away by men they don't know, even without having seen a police badge. i wouldn't believe people who only say "i'm a police officer", would you? * the scene when toni beats rita. you can SEE that he beats the air and not the woman (reminds me of those amusing double scenes at the beginning of 'one eyed jack') ... in later episodes scenes like this look more 'real' ...but watching the scene i do get goose bumps every time because of "stay with me". this soft song and its lyrics is directly opposed to what you see ... just great!!!i'd rate 8!

• Like 1

Guest neworder

This along with one eyed jack and the great mcarthy makes up the best trio of episodes shown in succession throughout the whole series.When i first watched vice, Men & motors showed the pilot and then went straight to one eyed jack for some odd reason, but it paid off because these 3 eps made me absolutely love Miami Vice.This is the weakest of the trio but its still pretty outstanding. The music was brill for the most part, i loved the airport swap track and the scene with phil collins at the end is one of the most classic vice scenes ever. Bruce Willis was ace, as was his co-workers.My massive issue with this episode is Rita, she sucks big time, poorly acted out and annoying.For this reason i deduct a point and give this episode a 9/10. Perfect in ever way except for flippin Rita!P.S a geographical/meterological error in the intro.Stan states that its already 102 degrees F at whatever time of day he says - Miami has never recorded a temperature above 100 degrees according to one source http://weather.uk.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:USFL0316&q=Miami%2c+USA+forecast:averagesm and 98 degrees according to another http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami,_Florida#Climate.I mean i know the feels like index can go above 100 but i dont think Stan had access to that info unless he'd just watched a whole local on the 8s on the weather channel and taken it all in. Call me a bit pickey but i am a geographer lol!SJBSJB

Another very good early episode. No Exit is a very stong episode. It starts very well. The intro on Ocean Drive is fantastic. Great sequence and we get to see how it looked before the restoration. The Edgewater hotel beside the Winterhaven isn't there anymore and it's easy to see why. The Pink House is another great location. I liked the scene where they inflitrate it and plant it with bugs and go on stakeout in the St. Vitus. There's a lot to recommend this ep. Bruce Willis was obviously a great villain. I really like a lot of the scenes, especially the missile test on Virginia Key. Rita isn't that bad but she isn't the strongest thing about the episode.
Tubbs posing as a Jamician gives him a chance to do a bad Miss Cleo impersonation("Very com-plic-ated mon! This ting iz not goin' to go off iz et?"). .Gina & Trudy are only in the intro and not the rest of the episode. And when DJ slams the door of Castillo's office, could this be the incident that EJO was talking about in the E! Miami Vice doc? The climax where they nab Amato was very good with a great Phil Collins song. The last scene at the Dade County Courthouse was great. Very powerful closing shot. Overall, a great episode. 9.5/10

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
Changed opinions. Updated thoughts
  • Like 1

Guest neworder

Interesting how Bruce Willis was basically an unknown actor when in this episode, much lower than Johnson and Thomas, barely 4 years later, by Vice's 4th Season he was a household name with Die Hard, and even had a song featured in Lend Me An Ear (Season 3) and was much bigger than Johnson/Thomas. Must have been interesting, whether everyone on Vice team in 84 could've predicted the success of Bruce Willis and then subsequently pissed off when he hit the much bigger big time!SJB

"Unknown actor" - I'm not so sure about that.This IMDB page shows the start of Moonlighting as March 5, 1985. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088571/releaseinfoAnd the airing of "No Exit" was Original Air Date: 9 November 1984 (Season 1, Episode 7).Granted, he would only be well known inside the movie and TV industry, as he would have already been selected for "Moonlighting", or would have already filmed some episodes of the series. To us, the viewing public, he was an unknown entity.

I'll give this ep a solid 9. I deem it a cery watchable episode. For me the ep felt a bit les MVesque though, since the vice squad is not usually tracking down hand held missile launchers, lol.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

No ExitI gave this a 10. One of my favorites-especially with the music. I didn't think the woman who played Rita was all that bad. PMT on the other hand, hammed his lines too much. Like when he was shouting "I HATE MACHINE GUNS...." or "Let's nail this pig!" I laugh everytime I see that maniacal expression on his face! Loved it when the cop discovered Elvis on the St. Vitus. The opening scene with the heat, the old men sitting on the lawn chairs, Sonny baking in the Ferrari...everyone waiting, sweating...one of the best scenes and one of the most memorable.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the perennial episodes of the first season. Bruce Willis is of course the main draw here as slug arms dealer Tony Amato. Great use of the song "I Don't Care Anymore by Phil Collins towards the end. The only negative is the cornball spousal abuse subplot which wasn't really needed.

Original score: 7/10

Reflective score: 9/10

Edited by agent 47
Update my thoughts.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is actually a real good episode. Bruce Willis did an excellent job. His acting shows just how versatile he is. Here he is playing a real creep and then a year or so later he playing a likeable character in Moonlighting. I felt sorry for his wife in this episode though. They always make the Feds look like the bumbling idiots that they really are in real life. I give this episode an 8.

• 1 month later...

This was surely a very nice episode... Bruce Willis and Don Johnson are almost equally hot!!When I played this episode it was like cherry on the cake to see the Guest stars - Bruce Willis suddenly appear. And even better when his face showed up a bit later. :-)

i was checking out the music on this ep. just a moment ago.i could cover that song from the teaser almost exactly. it's a really good one, too.i've always liked it, but never got around to covering it. one of these days...

• 4 months later...

This wasn't a bad episode, but not one of my favourites.I like Ocean Drive goes from almost deserted to pretty busy in the space of three minutes, and that 30 seconds they had to get into Amato's house was well used up by the time Lester turned the alarm off, at which point nearly 50 seconds had passed!One of those FBI agents played Leo Crysen in "Streetwise".I like how Switek shoves into that kid and knocks him flying. I'm sure that was all part of the episode though. If anything that kid over reacts.There is an interesting scene where Crockett spins round when he hears the dominoes click, thinking that this is the sound of a gun being cocked. Whilst not necessary to the plot, this makes the viewer realise just how tense Crockett is, and how he is always prepared for whatever is going on around him. DanJ was good enough to take myself, Baron Samedi, and Richie Rich to the spot where Crockett and the Hitman stood when Crockett says "Beat it". This is down at Jose Marti park, not far from where the OCB building used to be.What exactly did that Rocket Launcher hit? Was it a bird?There is a story I heard somewhere (I think it may have been Miami Vice: the E Hollywood story), that there was friction between DJ and EJO during these early episodes. EJO was apparantly given some creative freedom in his depiction of Castillo, and said something to Don like "from now on, you have to knock before you walk into my office" (whether it was during a scene or not!). Apparantly DJ's head nearly exploded. From piecing together things that have been said (even by Don himself), I think DJ liked to have a certain degree of control over the direction himself, and this I believe was related to a perfectionist aspect to his personality. Add to this the fact that DJ considered himself to be the most important, integral aspect of the show (he was probably right), then to have this newcomer come along, who was afforded this control and respect by the production crew, DJ probably felt undermined. I always wondered if the "door" incident took place during the filming of this episode as during the scene where Castillo, Tubbs, Crockett, and the two FBI guys are in the same room, Crockett (who already appears to be wound up), suddenly remembers that he is in Castillo's office, and slams the door shut during the middle of the dialogue. EJO had probably told him he had to close the door behind him as well!DanJ also took myself and Baron Samedi to the bar last years where Switek and Zito were conducting their surveillance. The pool table is still there and the bars on the windows are still the same.I thought the finale of this episode was a good one, textbook Vice. I still think however that if they wanted to use a Phil Collins song in this finale scene, "Mama" would have been a much more dramatic one than "Don't care anymore".In the final scene where the Feds/CIA suits declare that good or bad, Amato is their link in a political arms dealing chain, we see the first signs of corruption in the system and Crockett and Tubbs' frustration with it. Throughout the whole five seasons, this frustration slowly turns to disillusionment, eventually leading to their resignations in "Freefall".I'll give this episode 6.5 out of 10.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

"No Exit" is special to me because I was spending the night at a friend's house when this episode originally aired and I'll never forget it! I was only 8 or 9 at the time, and my parents didn't always like me watching the show. But, at my friend's house they watched it regularly...and of course it was the coolest show on at the time!Anyway, the reason I'll never forget it is because this was the very first thing I ever saw Bruce Willis in! From David Addison in "Moonlighting" to John McClane in the "Die Hard" movies...it doesn't matter what I watch Bruce Willis in--to me he will always be the psychotic, wife-beating, maniac Tony Amato in the "MV" episode "No Exit!" :) I'm sure Willis would be thrilled to know that. :pVery good acting and plot--ending was superb with the "freeze" on Crockett shouting "No!" as Rita's gunshot echoed out--letting you know the punk was dead. Michael Mann was famous for having abrupt, "hanging" endings with "MV" and this was a superb example of that. I also loved the Pink House used in the episode as supposedly Amato's (Willis')! Awesome--I gave it a 9!

Very good ep. Young Bruce Willis as an arms dealer who also likes to beat his own wife. Tubbs posing as a buyer. Clever Plot. Good music as always, especially Phill Collins - I Don't Care Anymore.8 out of 10.

Very good ep. Young Bruce Willis as an arms dealer who also likes to beat his own wife. Tubbs posing as a buyer. Clever Plot. Good music as always' date=' especially Phill Collins - I Don't Care Anymore.8 out of 10.[/quote']Definitely an another superb song by Phil Collins!! It truly "made" the episode...as In the Air Tonight did in the "Pilot!" Awesome! :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Bruce Willis is definitley one of the better Guest Stars that appeared on MV.The Tony/Rita scene to Teddy Pendergrass always breaks my heart.Such a romantic song played while a pig like Amato beats his long suffering wife. Along with Sonny witnessing it, powerless to do anything about it.:cry:

• 9 months later...

A very deep-going, multisided story, full of good humour and drama.:clap::happy::happy:At the latest now we know that VICE is unique and completely different than other TV-shows.:clap:Already the teaser includes a lot of hard action, but also cool sayings by Rico and Stan.Later on we see a ruthless Bruce Willis as an arms dealer who abuses his wife.Very good scenes follow showing Sonny and Rico when they have to listen to Amato's awful crimes.:evil: Donnie demonstrates excellently that Sonny can't abide this circumstance!!!:clap:I especially love the scenes when Sonny masquerades himself as a killer and Rita tells him the story of her life with Amato (everything's filmed in close-ups of their faces!!!:happy:Futhermore the differences between Sonny and Rico are shown fantastically: while Sonny's extremely emotional, Rico stays cool and relaxed. He never loses himself in fits of rage like Sonny, but personally I can understand Sonny more. Sometimes you are at the end of your tether!The end of No Exit is typical VICE: justice fails.:hot:This is so realistic that everybody has to marvel. There wasn't any TV series which shows reality so down-to-earth like VICE!!!:happy:And Rita is forced to kill her husband because no one can help her - for her there's proverbial No Exit...Besides the absolutely moving story, I enjoy great acting of Donnie, Philip, EJO and Bruce Willis:thumbsup:At that time Bruce was unknown, but he acts like a professional! I really approve him being a villain - there's no doubt!:clap:Futhermore No Exit has a wide range of excellent cloths weared by Sonny and Amato too (especially this cool shirt at the end!!!:happy:)Not to forget Don't Care Anymore by Phil Collins which is again a perfect song for these scenes!:radio:10 of 10 points!

• Like 1

Futhermore the differences between Sonny and Rico are shown fantastically: while Sonny's extremely emotional' date=' Rico stays cool and relaxed. He never loses himself in fits of rage like Sonny, but personally I can understand Sonny more. Sometimes you are at the end of your tether![/quote']As we don´t know what experiences Rico had made in the past in New York, we can´t know if this, possibly, is the reason why he seems to stay so cool. We never learned in what department he´d been working in the past. If you´re working in a job (or maybe as a policeman in a bad area) you need to learn not to let things come too close to you. To keep distance is the only way to cope with special things.