Sign in to follow this  
Ferrariman

Episode #7 "No Exit"

Joe    17
Joe

If you´re working in a job (or maybe as a policeman in a bad area) you need to learn not to let things come too close to you. To keep distance is the only way to cope with special things.

Yes, of course you're right, Christine. I mean that Rico acts more considerate than Sonny, because he isn't such a hothead and let things come so close to him. Therefore I admire Rico.But personally I understand Sonny, because often I´m very emotional too! (Though this attribute is very hindering in many situations)

MiamiVice23    5
MiamiVice23

No Exit7. No Exit This episode for me was a little too slow at times but it was still a good episode. The shootout at the beginning was pretty good. Crockett just dragging the dude was a nice maneuver. And Tubbs just freaking out about machine guns HaHa. This had to of been one of Bruce Willis’ first appearances in the industry. He looks pretty young. He did a pretty good job playing a intolerant bad a$$. We also continue to see that Crockett cares about his job and feels terrible about setting up Rita. I forgot how much Elvis appears early in the series. I wonder what ever happened to him? The airport swap music is great. One of the more hard rock tunes from Hammer. The final scene at the end was a little predictable but it works. I'm sure Rita figured that was the only way to live everyday without having to worry. Anyway, not too much more to say about this one. It was fine just not one of my favorites of Season 1. 8/10

SteyrAUG    0
SteyrAUG

IMO, this is probably one of the best episodes of Miami Vice.The opening scene captures a bit of the violence associated with Miami in the early "Scarface" days of the 80s while not trying to be Scarface or too over the top. I remember when Miami changed back then, especially after Mariel. So many iconic moments in this episode it isn't even funny. Really went a long way to establish what would be the flavor and tone of the show at it's best. The gun running was also a nice break from the constant drug running theme. Also gave Crockett and Tubbs a chance to goof on the Feds and helped establish Castillo as a serious insider who knows how the big picture game gets played.Additional elements like surveillance "tricks of the trade" (which would be revisited in "Lend Me An Ear") also made it interesting. The episode also isn't as far fetched as most viewers assume. Somebody associated with the show had to learn about the ripoffs of the Ft. Lauderdale National Guard Armory in the early 80s perpetrated by local gang members who had enlisted. While no "stinger missiles" were stolen, quite a few M-16s and grenades got loaded up and ended up on the local black market.The show was also a refreshing break from shows like The A Team in that when guns are fired people died. Magnum PI was one of the first shows to "get real" (I still loved the ending to China Doll) and when Rita ended the show with a bang it made quite an impression.And then of course there is the usual cars, clothes and music that made the show so much fun. I even tracked down Bruce Willis's arms bible "The Arsenal of Democracy" by Tom Gervasi.

scarabee    0
scarabee

I gave an 8.Strong points for me are the camerawork, it's obvious a lot of attention was paid to making nice shots. Further Tony Amato's house is superb, and I liked Bruce Willis in his guest role, though he's a bit of a flat, one dimension character. I also liked the opening scene because it was on Ocean Drive and the whole team was there. The story has a twist at the end when Amato is suddenly released. Also a strong performance from Tubbs acting as DuPass, and Castillo shows his skills when he suspects the FBI has a hidden agenda.I thought the pace of the episode was a bit slow, but that's also because it's now almost 30 years later. I liked Sonny's outfits, especially the striped blazer, but the bright orange shirt didn't really suit him. Stick to the pastels Sonny!I watched the whole dvd-series earlier and from this episode I remembered the house, Bruce Willis, and his mistreated wife, but the story itself didn't stick.

cageyJG    100
cageyJG

No Exit - Watched that again yesterday as dessert after seeing (A Great day to) Die Hard (5) Bruce was great, that black/white shirt he wore at the end was awesome, and I was wondering if there is a name for those pants that are high-rise and beltless? Good grief! Those things look like the same thing Alissa Milano or the mom from Who's The Boss? would wear! Not a fan, but I appreciate their '80s style.P.S., could someone enlighten me on the 3-eyed ...(EDIT: Never mind! Gahhhh I found what I was looking for here:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?17091-quot-AV-Club-quot-website-reviews-quot-No-Exit-quot&highlight=exitLink and quote borrowed from Viceman Cometh's recent post. That was a fantastic article and the idea that it was "the" turning point is pretty profound.Here's the sweet shirt though:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7575[/ATTACH]

post-30-13892965307934_thumb.jpg

cageyJG    100
cageyJG
There is a story I heard somewhere (I think it may have been Miami Vice: the E Hollywood story)' date=' that there was friction between DJ and EJO during these early episodes. EJO was apparantly given some creative freedom in his depiction of Castillo, and said something to Don like "from now on, you have to knock before you walk into my office" (whether it was during a scene or not!). Apparantly DJ's head nearly exploded. From piecing together things that have been said (even by Don himself), I think DJ liked to have a certain degree of control over the direction himself, and this I believe was related to a perfectionist aspect to his personality. Add to this the fact that DJ considered himself to be the most important, integral aspect of the show (he was probably right), then to have this newcomer come along, who was afforded this control and respect by the production crew, DJ probably felt undermined. I always wondered if the "door" incident took place during the filming of this episode as during the scene where Castillo, Tubbs, Crockett, and the two FBI guys are in the same room, Crockett (who already appears to be wound up), suddenly remembers that he is in Castillo's office, and slams the door shut during the middle of the dialogue. EJO had probably told him he had to close the door behind him as well!DanJ also took myself and Baron Samedi to the bar last years where Switek and Zito were conducting their surveillance. The pool table is still there and the bars on the windows are still the same.[/quote']Awesome information and anecdotes in the whole of the threads around - surfed on in following a scan for "No Exit" on the forum search (Give it a whirl); this seems to be one episode that has had a lot of discussion.

ArtieRollins    194
ArtieRollins

No Exit: (1984)

I almost forgot that this is the one were Bruce Willis shows up as Tony Amato and he sure delivers an impressive job as one of the less kindly Miami Citizens to ever grace the show.

It start out a bit like Cool Runnin', gunmen going wild, wild west, luckily no one gets hurt, well beside Tubbs ego maybe "I hate machine guns!".

Even for a dark episode as No Exit, there are some unintentional humour that happens along the way. and I couldn't hold my face straight as Crockett's dramatic "NOOOO" and his face freezes right at the end.

I think it would worked out better if we only heard the gunshot.

The music is again almost flawless, and Phil Collins and Miami at night are as usual a perfect hit. 

All in all a fine episode indeed and much better than I remember.

8/10

airtommy    806
airtommy

Cory Barker of the website This Was Television reviews "No Exit":

Bruce Willis’s work in “No Exit†is legitimately great. I’m not surprised that this episode led to him headlining his own series with Moonlighting. His Tony Amato is a charming and intelligent and yet terrifying man ...

... Willis crackles whenever he is on screen. It’s a star-making performance, if such a thing does exist in a random, early-season guest star turn for a new show (and his case, it apparently does).

Tony_MontanaCDL    7
Tony_MontanaCDL

This was the first episode of Vice I ever seen, talk about being spoiled rotten from the start!

Classic episode, one of the best. 

Matt5    1,919
Matt5
On 5/8/2016 at 3:22 AM, Tony_MontanaCDL said:

This was the first episode of Vice I ever seen, talk about being spoiled rotten from the start!

Classic episode, one of the best. 

Yes great episode - welcome to ths site !!:D

• Like 1

Tony_MontanaCDL    7
Tony_MontanaCDL
1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Yes great episode - welcome to ths site !!:D

Many thanks! :D

Matt5    1,919
Matt5

One of the very best episodes - a great feel to it :D:D

Bilders    118
Bilders

Love how Bruce Willis seems like he's doubling as Amato and Addison at the same time on TV :D

David Addison of Moonlighting is one of my favourite characters of all-time!

Matt5    1,919
Matt5
On 7/5/2016 at 2:29 PM, Bilders said:

Love how Bruce Willis seems like he's doubling as Amato and Addison at the same time on TV

David Addison of Moonlighting is one of my favourite characters of all-time!

Yes very good point !! Great episode:D:D

• Like 1

miamijimf    956
miamijimf

This pic is from 1987 so it was when Willis was in Moonlighting.

14469634_1233749920003636_3407739912065965150_n.jpg

Matt5    1,919
Matt5
On 15/05/2011 at 9:08 AM, Joe said:

A very deep-going, multisided story, full of good humour and drama.:clap::happy::happy:At the latest now we know that VICE is unique and completely different than other TV-shows.:clap:Already the teaser includes a lot of hard action, but also cool sayings by Rico and Stan.Later on we see a ruthless Bruce Willis as an arms dealer who abuses his wife.Very good scenes follow showing Sonny and Rico when they have to listen to Amato's awful crimes.:evil: Donnie demonstrates excellently that Sonny can't abide this circumstance!!!:clap:I especially love the scenes when Sonny masquerades himself as a killer and Rita tells him the story of her life with Amato (everything's filmed in close-ups of their faces!!!:happy:Futhermore the differences between Sonny and Rico are shown fantastically: while Sonny's extremely emotional, Rico stays cool and relaxed. He never loses himself in fits of rage like Sonny, but personally I can understand Sonny more. Sometimes you are at the end of your tether!The end of No Exit is typical VICE: justice fails.:hot:This is so realistic that everybody has to marvel. There wasn't any TV series which shows reality so down-to-earth like VICE!!!:happy:And Rita is forced to kill her husband because no one can help her - for her there's proverbial No Exit...Besides the absolutely moving story, I enjoy great acting of Donnie, Philip, EJO and Bruce Willis:thumbsup:At that time Bruce was unknown, but he acts like a professional! I really approve him being a villain - there's no doubt!:clap:Futhermore No Exit has a wide range of excellent cloths weared by Sonny and Amato too (especially this cool shirt at the end!!!:happy:)Not to forget Don't Care Anymore by Phil Collins which is again a perfect song for these scenes!:radio:10 of 10 points!

A great review !:D

Remington    127
Remington

One of the definitive episodes. When I first went through the series, this was probably my favorite. The big pros include Bruce Willis, the surveillance scenes, and the epic finale with Phil Collins blaring. And Tubbs little meltdown during the opening cracks me up.

Only thing I don't like is the actress who played Rita.

9.5/10

• Like 1