Episode #7 "No Exit"

Ferrariman

• 1 month later...

Good article! I just watched this episode this afternoon and I agree the camera work was sensational. Also, the music added a lot to the action. This one had become one of my absolute favorites!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bren10 said:

I think I agree that No Exit is where the show truly found its voice.  All the elements are in place here.

I agree - Miami Vice 10/10 here.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Very solid episode, Bruce Willis does an excellent job here. Am I the only one who liked how Stay with Me was used? I interpreted it as a contrast to the on-screen action that's supposed to cause a stir in the viewer.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Lit Up said:

Great show, particularly seeing how Ocean Beach used to look, and of course an introduction to that fantastic house, The Pink House. 

I agree so damn good. 10/10:cheers:

• 1 year later...

"Heart of Darkness" and "One Eyed Jack" might have propelled the show forward as far as solidifying its feel, but "No Exit" is where every last piece finally fell into place. There's an auteur-type of feeling to this entire hour, like the "In the Air Tonight" sequence from "Brother's Keeper" being extended to an entire episode. I think a lot about having "Stay With Me" playing over a really awful sequence of a woman being beaten/molested by her husband, the deliberate and effective tonal contrast of that scene, or the way they show Crockett shoot that one goon on the boat, or the final freeze frame over the sound of the gun firing. Obviously this show was never light on style, but none of the episodes before "No Exit" had THIS much put into the direction. And I think when people think about Miami Vice, the way a lot of this episode is shot and edited is what they tend to picture.

I'm pretty sure as a kid this was my favourite episode of the entire show. The underlying story of a woman who feels absolutely trapped by a powerful abuser, and who ultimately finds her only way out is to kill him with her own hands, is such an incredible noir lift. I really feel for Rita this entire episode, and I think Tony Amato is a monster who deserved to die. Willis is GREAT here, easily the best guest star up to this point in the show, and with Moonlighting around the corner combined with this performance, it's so easy to see why he rapidly became a household name.

I think this is maybe slightly less magical now than it was the first few times I saw it. I mean, I haven't gotten to them yet on this rewatch, but I fully expect, at the very least, "Evan" and "Out Where the Buses Don't Run" to probably supercede "No Exit" at the top for me. I still think this is a really great hour of television, but I think my issue this time around is probably the cold open. At the very end of it, the one guy panics, jumps in the gun truck, and opens fire with an M60. It'd be one thing if he was just shooting at the team, but because a bunch of observers wandered into the shot while watching the episode being filmed, and you literally just see this endless line of people on the sidewalk, it looks like the guy is firing an M60 into a crowd of people.

That's a terrifying image, even if it happened purely as a mistake, but the episode doesn't acknowledge it at all, and obviously with how gun violence has plagued the U.S. the past 25 years in particular, the fact that there's no mention of it at all, no kind of increase in stakes, makes it play rather poorly now. I get that Miami Vice is not a brutal mess of senseless violence, but the fact that there are no casualties when the M60 goes off on that street breaks suspension of disbelief while simultaneously coming across as tone-deaf. And then it gets played for laughs with Tubbs after (I LOVE that camera tilt up on Castillo though).

I'm also not so hot on the fact that the bad guys literally shoot down a plane in front of Tubbs to demonstrate the Stingers, but that there's similarly no increase in stakes or consequences even though this time the bad guys undoubtedly killed at least one person. Speaking of... am I going crazy or is there a massive continuity error in this episode? The Vice team swap out the arms buyer for Tubbs at the airport (gotta love Switek almost bowling some random kid over lol), Amato's guys drive Tubbs away, and then Crockett goes off and meets Rita. Then he talks with Rita at the precinct, and Tubbs is there in the interrogation room with him. And then we get the scene where Tubbs is with Amato's crew as they test the Stinger. Didn't that meeting happen right after the airport? Like isn't that where they drove Tubbs to? How did Tubbs teleport back and forth? I wonder if the sequence of scenes was changed and nobody noticed. Either that, or I'm missing something.

Either way, the final showdown on the ship is really exciting, Tubbs' quick thinking when Amato discovers one of the bugs is brilliant, and that ending is (literally) a killer. I know with my issues I should probably be bumping "No Exit" down to a 9, but I have MAJOR nostalgia for this episode so I'm gonna go 9.5/10, my highest rating so far, but still down from the 10 I would've handed it when I was younger.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2009 at 7:32 PM, agent 47 said:

The only negative is the cornball spousal abuse subplot which wasn't really needed.

That element of the plot was important fort the final scene i think.

• Like 3

I really dig no exit, for me one of the best episodes of the entire run. For one there's Bruce Willis (need to say more?!) who is pal with DJ and the latter got him a part in MV.

This is one of those episodes that established the style and the tone of the show for years to come. It also showcases once again Tubbs unparalleled undercover skills, especially when he rings Amato ('I'm trying to save this thing') after the arms dealer accidentally finds a bug in his home.

The M60 shooting from the van had an A-team feeling to it, but that's ok (it was 1984 after all). Liked the bottom - up camera shot on Castillo after that scene, when checking on Tubbs. I enjoyed very much the lighter moments at OCB with C&T teasing the young FBI guy for lack of undercover experience and agent McIntyre terrified reaction when finding Elvis on the St.Vitus deck :)! And of course the swap scene at the airport had me laugh, especially seeing Switek nearly bumping off a kid in the hall and Zito blocking the Jamaican.

And the final scene can't get more 'MVesqe' than that! From that point it was getting more nihilistic.

By the way, did they really take down the plane when demoing the stingers to Tubbs? That was never implied or mentioned...

No exit deserves a 9.5, true classic.

• Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb sdiegolo78:

That element of the plot was important fort the final scene i think.

I agree. This dreadly scene made Ritas vigilante in front of the  courthouse comprehensible. She knew that her suffering path would never end, because there would always be someone to prevent Tony from beeing imprisoned.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2019 at 5:13 AM, Rattlehead said:

Very solid episode, Bruce Willis does an excellent job here. Am I the only one who liked how Stay with Me was used? I interpreted it as a contrast to the on-screen action that's supposed to cause a stir in the viewer.

that's right. And in general most of the music tracks chosen fitted the scene context very well.

On 7/31/2019 at 2:38 PM, Lit Up said:

Great show, particularly seeing how Ocean Beach used to look, and of course an introduction to that fantastic house, The Pink House. 

yeah, when most of S1 was being filmed in 1984, Miami still in a bad shape.

20 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

yeah, when most of S1 was being filmed in 1984, Miami still in a bad shape.

Yeah, in the early to mid 80s Miami wasn’t as upscale as it is now...it seemed more run-down and catering to more low-income retirees. MV helped revitalize the Art Deco history and “sizzle” of Miami from say the 30s-50s. The Pink House is weird & bizarre...but totally “MV”...awesome for that kind of show! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, in the early to mid 80s Miami wasn’t as upscale as it is now...it seemed more run-down and catering to more low-income retirees. MV helped revitalize the Art Deco history and “sizzle” of Miami from say the 30s-50s. The Pink House is weird & bizarre...but totally “MV”...awesome for that kind of show! :thumbsup:

I watched "Cocaine Cowboys" and it was mentioned the economy created by cocaine smuggling (the laundered billions of dollars invested in new businesses and real estate) contributed to the development of Miami to a greater extent. Surely it was quite a dangerous place until 1985 when Griselda Blanco fled to California as DEA were about to bust her and drug feud related shootings in the streets declined compared to the early 80s.

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2010 at 12:57 AM, ViceFanMan said:

"No Exit" is special to me because I was spending the night at a friend's house when this episode originally aired and I'll never forget it! I was only 8 or 9 at the time, and my parents didn't always like me watching the show. But, at my friend's house they watched it regularly...and of course it was the coolest show on at the time! Anyway, the reason I'll never forget it is because this was the very first thing I ever saw Bruce Willis in! From David Addison in Moonlighting to John McClane in the Die Hard movies...it doesn't matter what I watch Bruce Willis in--to me he will always be the psychotic, wife-beating, maniac Tony Amato in the MV episode "No Exit!" :eek: I'm sure Willis would be thrilled to know that. :p Very good acting and plot--ending was superb with the ‘freeze’ on Crockett shouting "No!" as Rita's gunshot echoed out--letting you know the punk was dead. Michael Mann was famous for having abrupt, "hanging" or “blunt” endings with MV and this was a superb example of that. I also loved the Pink House used in the episode as supposedly Amato's (Willis')! Awesome--I gave it a 9!

This was my original review. I still will always think of Amato when I see Bruce Willis (story above), lol! 

But, the acting in this was superb...I feel so bad for Rita, and it’s hard for me to watch the abuse scenes...very realistic and “deep” for 1984 television! Amazing Phil Collins song again :radio:, and the fashion was definitely cool! :cool:

And who can forget the most stylish, if not bizarre, “guest-stars”...the Pink House! Only on MV would a piece of wild but fascinating real estate like that work. As stated in my original review above, the ending is very MV & Michael Mann-ish! Mann made his abrupt or “blunt” endings famous with the show, and this episode is a perfect example of that. :clap:

I choose to believe that the entire Vice team went to “bat” for Rita in court...and she was not sent to prison for reasons of years of continual mental/psychological & physical abuse, and even “torture” by Amato. ;( 

But, this was definitely one of Season 1’s best, and best acted! I gave it a 9 originally...think I’d bump it up to a 10 if I could. :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Adding to my post above...here is the most famous guest-star (besides Willis):

D7234629-38F5-4786-A53B-66D199D1819A.jpeg

DC9AEE1D-9798-4A85-BD78-8F3B25EF8AAA.jpeg

D973821E-C755-4AEA-B364-E3AB0F856B50.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Oh yeah...and what was up with Switek almost “obliterating” the boy in the airport? :) ?( 

I love that little moment :) 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I love that little moment :) 

It’s kind of funny, but in reality it could have “compromised” what they were there to do—especially if the kid’s parents would have raised a “stink”. :p 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

It’s kind of funny, but in reality it could have “compromised” what they were there to do—especially if the kid’s parents would have raised a “stink”. :p 

yeah, 'Bluto' and 'Lee Harvey Oswald' indeed :D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

yeah, 'Bluto' and 'Lee Harvey Oswald' indeed :D

Lol!! :) Yeah...you love Switek & Zito, but (this is going to sound goofy) they remind me some of the boys in my church’s high school youth group when we go to camp. Lots of times they’re actually pretty intelligent and responsible on their own...but get em all ‘together’ & common sense just goes right out the window! :p  

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has this been answered before?:

When Tony’s goons give Dupas (Tubbs) the stinger demonstration, Tony says “here she comes”, and they fire the missile. 

What exactly was “she”? 

(not trivia—I literally do not know)