Dadrian's Workspace

Dadrian

I've been meaning to post some pictures of my current setup for awhile now. Since the stuff I have now is going to remain the same until I hit the lottery, I figured I'd go ahead and share some pictures.Here's the whole operationEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild1. Behringer XENYX 1204 FX - The thing on the left with all the knobs is my mixer. This unit takes the audio signals from all my synths and sends them to my computer's audio card (M-Audio Delta 24-96, I think).2. MXR Flanger - The smaller thing on the right with only four knobs is the vintage MXR Flanger. This is an early 70's model, so it's pretty rare. This effect helps Jan get his signature sound on his clean and distortion guitar-like leads. I tried them all, and there is no substitute. I normally use it in a send-return path, but sometimes I run it wet, too.Eingefügtes Bild3. KORG Triton 61 - This is an original 1997 model. I do all of my sequencing and arranging with this. I also do quite a bit of sampling on it, mainly for drum sounds. Occaisionally, I'll use some its internal sounds to mix with the authentic Vice sounds/samples from my other equipment. This unit is my main workhorse.Eingefügtes Bild4. Rockman Distortion Generator - Often used in a loop signal (to mix with a dry sound), sometimes Jan would just run his Memorymoog straight through this box to get that insane lead sound (like in the MV theme song). Like the MXR Flanger, this unit has no peers for the true MV sound.Eingefügtes Bild5. Behringer TRUTH monitors - The other one is on the other side of my desk. I have the passive ones, which are powered by a really crappy Carvin power amp that I really need to replace. These are the best bang for the buck pieces of equipment I have ever bought. I would recommend them to anyone on a budget. They have a fantastic flat response.Eingefügtes Bild6. Sundown A-50 - Jan's was the louder 100 watt model--mine is 50 watts--but that is the only difference between the two. This item is not absolutely necessary for the Vice sound. Just about any all tube amp will give you nice clean to semi-distorted sounds for the DX7 guitars The really cool thing about these amps the the governer, which lets you get any amount of distortion at any volume level. This is great for home recording. I always mic it with a Shure SM57.Eingefügtes Bild7. Yamaha DX7IIFD - This is the final incarnation of the fabled DX7. Jan actually graduated to this model himself for the 3rd and 4th seasons. It has better sound quality and signifigant ugrades from the original. All of the digital sounds (like in "Night Talk") come from the DX7.Eingefügtes Bild8. Roland JUNO-106 - I use this synth to try to emulate the analong sounds Jan got from his Memorymoog and Jupiter-8 synths. Unfortunately, there are no subtitutes for those synths either. That's where the lotter part comes in: those synths cost about $3-5K apiece. The Juno does pretty well, though, especially on the pads and delicate sounds. The bigger sounds, like Sonny and Leon in the boat in the pilot, are just not possible here.Thanks for looking/reading. Please post any questions or comments.

• Like 2

Really interesting ' date=' thanks . Look forward to your next cover, which are always so good.:D[/quote']agree.Looks like Mission Control at NASA.

Really interesting ' date=' thanks . Look forward to your next cover, which are always so good.:D[/quote']thanks, matt.
Looks like Mission Control at NASA.
:)

Like restoring an old car, you have managed to keep these vintage instruments working and doing wonderful things with them.Kudos...............

I think I saw one or two of those keyboards in a local museum I went to a few months back - I'm not kidding!! I felt like an old man when I left that place... when your childhood memories are in a museum that's when you know you're getting on! :eek:

The Horniman museum - it's in South London - they have a musical instrument exhibition - Google it - they might even have some pictures of your keyboards in their display units! :D

i found the museums website. they mention the exhibit, but there are no photos to speak of.i'll visit if i ever go to london. there's full blown synthesizer museum in germany. that would be awesome!!

here's my latest addition:Eingefügtes Bildi'll have to say it brings a smile to my face everytime i look at it. again, many apologies to carlo, and thanks for your kindness in the matter. i hope you got my PM ;).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I'm sure your wife loves it too. ;) You'd better take out a pre-nump rider in which it states you get that in the event of a divorce. :)

if i ever do something divorce worthy, she would just take a baseball bat to this whole corner of the house. she's made that known more than once. :) neither will ever happen, though. she's really awesome.

When I saw the title of this thread, I knew I had to click on it. I don't know what any of that stuff is, but it looks impressive.Do you know anything more about that Synth museum in Germany (name of the museum, city, etc)?

thanks, airtommy. this stuff is relatively basic for music production, but i certainly wouldn't have known what to do with it 10 years ago. in another 10 years, i hope to expand it even more.as for the museum, it's actually a meeting/expedition sort of thing they have once every year or two years.see if this link works:http://www.bluesynths.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=104i would start sweating in that room! i'd probably have a panic attack :)

here's my latest addition:Eingefügtes Bildi'll have to say it brings a smile to my face everytime i look at it. again' date=' many apologies to carlo, and thanks for your kindness in the matter. i hope you got my PM ;).[/quote']You basterd..... :)nice copter buddy!I am soooooooooooo jealous!!!Still searching........................................................................hmmmmmmmmmmm...

No we just need to take a plug off that puppy and mass produce them for everyone here on the site.I'm just bustin balls because I was pissed that the last one I tried to bid on I wasn't allowed to bid. He would only ship to an American Address, so I went over the river last week and got a PO Box in NYS just for such a purspose as if I ever find another one on ebay or anywhere else.Enjoy NoFretz and don't feel bad as we just want to remind you ...constantly....that we are all collectors of sorts.

I posted some songs a couple of yrs. ago from my restaurant gig. They are not studio quality...but I'm thinking of recording some better ones soon.

• Administrators

Tony, ever think of video taping your gig and posting it on youtube as a marketing tool for our local areas. This way prospective clients could take a look at your stuff?Just a thought.Sorry Nofretz, now back to your thread.