Dadrian's Workspace

Dadrian

Awesome pictures dude! I spent most of the time just staring at them. Dribbling! My 2 dream synths are in there. The Triton and the MKII DX. I used to work in a music store, selling these beasts, playing them all day. Now, due to my increasing disability, I no longer play :( I think that's why I love your music so much. You are how I always longed to be like. But alas...

Tony' date=' ever think of video taping your gig and posting it on youtube as a marketing tool for our local areas. This way prospective clients could take a look at your stuff?Just a thought.Sorry Nofretz, now back to your thread.[/quote']I thought of that Timm, but I have to learn how to put things on youtube :confused:

Awesome pictures dude! I spent most of the time just staring at them. Dribbling! My 2 dream synths are in there. The Triton and the MKII DX. I used to work in a music store' date=' selling these beasts, playing them all day. Now, due to my increasing disability, I no longer play :( I think that's why I love your music so much. You are how I always longed to be like. But alas...[/quote']glad you enjoyed the pics. you're one of my favorite fans. thanks for everything.

• 2 months later...

Hey nofretz!This could be classed as the oddest request you've probably ever had, but who cares!Would it be possible for you to post, either on here or YouTube, a short video of you at work playing your synths? Maybe a familiar tune by Jan or just playing a famous "Jan" sound, ie the guitar sound that he used so often from the DX7?Strange request, I grant you, but I not only enjoy listening to music, but also watching people who play well. It's kinda theraputic I suppose!Take it easy buddy

i would love to do that' date=' but i don't have a webcam or a video recoreder. :(if i ever get one i'll do it, though.[/quote']That would be cool Dadrian.

Seems like my suggestion wasn't so mad after all! There appears to be some interest. Find a pal with a webcam/camera, beg, borrow or steal to satisfy our thirst!!Take it easy.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

There is one in the works but unfortunately a new little baby takes top priority for now!

• 2 months later...

hey all.we are living in a studio apartment right now and my synths are packed up. all is well with me and my family though.glad to see you are all still kicking :)

hey all.we are living in a studio apartment right now and my synths are packed up. all is well with me and my family though.glad to see you are all still kicking :)

Some of us are still kicking. Glad to hear that all is cool with you. Hope you can find time to post again, music or no music.

• 1 month later...

Best wishes to you :D:D

• 4 years later...

Cool! I have all the Linn samples, so the actual machine would only have nostalgic value for me, but I would definitely take one if someone offered it to me! Haha

• 1 month later...

Dadrian,
didn't Jan use a Rockman headphones amp (which featured distortion and wasn't just for headphones) instead of the distortion generator? I just surfed on a Rockman website and it stated that the Distortion Generator wasn't released until 1987. I was quite surprised to find out that there were several different "Rockmodules" produced and either way, the distortion sound created should be all the same. Check it out if you're interested:
https://www.rockman.fr/Reviews/Reviews.htm

Do you know if the "sustainor" which seems to be the beast in the entire collection can be used for the Miami Vice sound? Looks to me like it has the Generator and headphones amp integrated. The reason I'm asking is because there is currerntly one being sold on ebay here and it's pretty cheap so far. But in full working condition. So I'm tempted....as I don't have a Rockman yet.
However, I don't think I can connect it with my keyboard since it's just a MIDI keyboard for DAWs, not an actual keyboard. I have found a couple of ways to somewhat emulate the Rockman and MXR flanger sound though so I'm not sure if I really need to have one. (I'm still waiting for a decent Rockman plug-in - and I'm not the only one! haha)

Regarding the MXR flanger: What is your opinion on how often Jan used thisr on his themes? Pretty much all the time? Right off the bat I would estimate "only" half of his pieces....but then again it might be very sublte flanging and with the episode rips it's kind of hard to tell if it's from the TV or ripping or actual flanging in the original sound. Thanks!

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 1

I wasn't aware of the full Rockman catalog (or timeline) either! Thanks for the info. Yes, it seems that the DG couldn't have been used on his MV work. Maybe it was the Sustainer. Idk either. Now that I think of it, though, just about every time he mentioned it in an interview, he just says "Rockman". 

I do know his MXR Flangers are the rack versions. He told me he had 5 of them in an email years ago, and he wouldn't sell me one ha. As for how often he used it, no matter how subtle, it seems obvious to me when and where he's using it. It makes AMAZING chorus sounds, too. 

I have the old 70s pedal version. It's kind of noisy (120v power cord, and probably needs cleaning inside), but it's a really great effect. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm getting an ear for that Flanger sound too. Anyway, the sustainor went for only 82€, now that's a bargain! Of course I missed it. A current listing that's only offering the distortion generator has 299€ as its starting price. O.o But its mint condition so I think that's fair. The sustainor would actually be just a lot more worth, but hey...

As for the Rockman module Jan used - isn't there a photo of him in the studio that shows all his gear including the rockman? That way we should be able to tell what model exactly he used. I looked on google images but couldn't find it....doesn't seem to be in the Mag interview either. Hmm, I'm sure I saw something like that before...?

p.s: What else did Jan tell you, Dadrian? Let's hear the juicy details. *grin*

Edited by Den Taylor