Sign in to follow this  
Dadrian

Dadrian's Workspace

Dadrian

The only studio pic I know of showing his rack stuff is on his website (with the Miami Vice logo on the monitor behind him). I can see blue face modules, and they appear to be the flangers, but they very well could be Rockmans. He says in the 85 KB interview that he has the "latest revision" of the Rockman, so that could be the X100 at that time, right? And isn't the Dist Gen I had essentially the same distortion signal as that unit?

As for the emails with Jan, I lost them years ago in a hiccup with Hotmail, and it's probably obvious to you by now that my memory is getting foggy. :( 

Edited by Dadrian

Den Taylor

Yeah, I guess he would be referring to the X100. But one could only tell if we had a pic of his set-up from then. In the one from his website is way to small to see any details (iIf those are actually Rockman units stacked under the computer in the corner?). But yes, the sound of these different Rockman modules should more or less produce the same sound. Though I just found an interesting tidbit from that rockman site:
"And here's a proof of this statement: though they sound alike, the Rockman and the X100 don't have the same distortion circuit...

The following diagram describes the clipping (saturation) stages of both the Rockman and the X100. They are clearly different, and the corresponding waveforms are also different. The Rockman uses what is called a "soft-clipping circuit" with 4 diodes, while the X100 is based on a "hard-clipping circuit" with 2 LED's."
http://rockman.fr/Reviews/Rockman.htm

Mind you, I don't understand much of this technical stuff. I'm just very excited that I have come very close in emulating this distortion and flanging sound with my digital set-up! Took me months of tweaking around with a guitar-amp plug-in in my DAW.....and then some! But the good side of that tweaking around is that you really get to understand what it is that the Rockman is actually doing....Tom Scholz is a real genius!

Edited by Den Taylor

Dadrian

Cool. So are you gonna make covers of the MV score?