Dadrian's Workspace

Dadrian

The only studio pic I know of showing his rack stuff is on his website (with the Miami Vice logo on the monitor behind him). I can see blue face modules, and they appear to be the flangers, but they very well could be Rockmans. He says in the 85 KB interview that he has the "latest revision" of the Rockman, so that could be the X100 at that time, right? And isn't the Dist Gen I had essentially the same distortion signal as that unit?

As for the emails with Jan, I lost them years ago in a hiccup with Hotmail, and it's probably obvious to you by now that my memory is getting foggy. :( 

Edited by Dadrian

Yeah, I guess he would be referring to the X100. But one could only tell if we had a pic of his set-up from then. In the one from his website is way to small to see any details (iIf those are actually Rockman units stacked under the computer in the corner?). But yes, the sound of these different Rockman modules should more or less produce the same sound. Though I just found an interesting tidbit from that rockman site:
"And here's a proof of this statement: though they sound alike, the Rockman and the X100 don't have the same distortion circuit...

The following diagram describes the clipping (saturation) stages of both the Rockman and the X100. They are clearly different, and the corresponding waveforms are also different. The Rockman uses what is called a "soft-clipping circuit" with 4 diodes, while the X100 is based on a "hard-clipping circuit" with 2 LED's."
http://rockman.fr/Reviews/Rockman.htm

Mind you, I don't understand much of this technical stuff. I'm just very excited that I have come very close in emulating this distortion and flanging sound with my digital set-up! Took me months of tweaking around with a guitar-amp plug-in in my DAW.....and then some! But the good side of that tweaking around is that you really get to understand what it is that the Rockman is actually doing....Tom Scholz is a real genius!

Edited by Den Taylor

• 2 years later...
On 8/28/2009 at 6:00 PM, Dadrian said:

here's my latest addition:Eingefügtes Bildi'll have to say it brings a smile to my face everytime i look at it. again, many apologies to carlo, and thanks for your kindness in the matter. i hope you got my PM ;).

Love it!!! Thanks, Dadrian!

• 1 year later...

Quite the studio you have going on. Amazing how you (or anyone for that matter) can remember how all of this stuff connects and syncs. As Darth Vader once said, " Impressive... most impressive."

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Party_car1 said:

Quite the studio you have going on. Amazing how you (or anyone for that matter) can remember how all of this stuff connects and syncs. As Darth Vader once said, " Impressive... most impressive."

Haha thanks!

We have moved a couple of times since this post started. I have a separate building on my property now in which I keep I keep all my music stuff set up. It’s a nice escape. :thumbsup:

0F87A24B-51C5-4055-A002-42802DA00619.jpeg

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

I came across this old photo of my first workspace from maybe 2000 or so. If you have a cover I made before 2007, it was made with this (pretty crappy) setup. :) 

The only good cover from this era was “The Heist” (which is still due for an update). 

D284AAC7-F565-4355-B158-8609E7B19663.jpeg

• Like 3