When can we start planning, again?

Tony D.

I still would like to have a Miami Vice Convention in or around Miami.......when can we start planning, and it's too much for one person, so we need a committee of at least 3 people! The economy is bad, so we may have to wait until next year........but a Convention would show the news media how Miami Vice & it's stars are still appreciated! :happy: Some thoughts & suggestions.....Please!

Unless you've got someone willing to layout $6-$7k of their own money like we did before, you're really dead in the water. You can't get people to send registration fees until you have a location, and you can't book a location without a big down payment.

Besides...I'm sure we'll soon be hearing about the major event Srobak promised several years ago...major vendors, celebs, media, huge crowds...I can hardly wait!!

Besides...I'm sure we'll soon be hearing about the major event Srobak promised several years ago...major vendors' date=' celebs, media, huge crowds...I can hardly wait!![/quote']:):)

The Deauville only wanted $500 , 21 days in advance.But we need a committee to make decisions & kick ideas around. One or two people is not enough & 20 or 30 ideas are too many!

I called Universal Studios last Oct. or Nov. to ask if they had plans to honor the 25th Anniv. of Miami Vice & they said no ....like duh, what's Miami Vice?? Very aggrevating! :p:thumbsdown:

Talk to someone else there. Don't they have envolvement with STAR TREK conventions? Ask to Speak to those people to see what it envolves.

• Administrators

I still think your going to have a very hard time getting commitments in this economy.Good luck.

• Administrators

Talk to someone else there. Don't they have envolvement with STAR TREK conventions? Ask to Speak to those people to see what it envolves.

Star Trek would fall under Paramount but it also has a much larger following than Vice.

I still think your going to have a very hard time getting commitments in this economy.Good luck.

You're right Tim, especially from the rank & file here! We all want a convention but it's too expensive right now.

The Deauville only wanted $500 ' date=' 21 days in advance.But we need a committee to make decisions & kick ideas around. One or two people is not enough & 20 or 30 ideas are too many![/quote']$500 to commit a block of rooms are a low rate, and reserve the meeting room space? That's VERY cheap, they must be hurting too. At that rate, I don't see where you would have a problem coming up with $500, just get 10 of the people that want a convention to pony up $50 each, and make them the committee.As for "rank and file here" not wanting to commit, all I can say is been there, done that, got the t-shirt....oh, I really do have a t-shirt! Lou's got one too.

• 7 months later...

I recently posted on "general" forum thread about ideas for a convention for mid to late next year.Although I am in Australia I am serious about trying to organise a convention. Have got some ideas on structure, organisation and thoughts on how to get some cast to turn up.May only be ideas now but if a group can start discussing ideas, it can happen.I am eager to discuss further with anyone else who is keen to throw around possible ideas and start planning.Personally, I do not want to look back in years to come and think that it may have happened if I had just given it a go.

Ha - the "Zombie Convention". Just when you think it's dead, it makes a comeback, hungry for more brains to feed on.

Am only new to the site. But have read of discussions in previous years about wanting a convention, but could not findd where one actually went past the forum.I just want to know if anyone has looked at sponsorship and support for a convention. Including private, local government, media etc. If you have a genuine plan, including costs, on paper you can approach people and organisations for support.I was just making an enquiery of fellow vice fans, but if their is no interest then I appologise for posting on this issue.

I was just making an enquiery of fellow vice fans' date=' but if their is no interest then I appologise for posting on this issue.[/quote']It's all good. No apology needed. I guess I've just been around long enough that it gets tiring to keep hearing it get resurrected again and again. Long story short - the "big convention" is dead, and won't be making a comeback. It's been downsized out of existence.

It's all good. No apology needed. I guess I've just been around long enough that it gets tiring to keep hearing it get resurrected again and again. Long story short - the "big convention" is dead' date=' and won't be making a comeback. It's been downsized out of existence.[/quote']Sad, but appears to be true.

Originally Posted by Richie Rich It's all good. No apology needed. I guess I've just been around long enough that it gets tiring to keep hearing it get resurrected again and again. Long story short - the "big convention" is dead, and won't be making a comeback. It's been downsized out of existence.

Sad, but appears to be true

Thanks for filling me in.Being new, thought there was no harm in asking.

There's no harm in asking my friend.I'd LOVE to have one, but it appears it's just going to be a fun idea that most likely won't happen. :cry:......i love miami vice.

COOPER&BURNETT There's no harm in asking my friend.I'd LOVE to have one, but it appears it's just going to be a fun idea that most likely won't happen. ......i love miami vice.

I was told by the builder, that taught me carpentry(over 20 years ago now), "if you never ask, then the answer is always no". So I thought I would ask.DITTO- I too love miami vice and would love a convention. Matye visiting Miami next year will have to do.:cheers::cry::cheers::cry:

DITTO- I too love miami vice and would love a convention. Matye visiting Miami next year will have to do.

Let everyone know when you are arriving. The small gatherings are still happening, sometimes just 3 or 4 people.

Let everyone know when you are arriving. The small gatherings are still happening' date=' sometimes just 3 or 4 people.[/quote']Thanks mate. I will definately post on here when I will be arriving. Looking at 12 months. I have just moved recently, left my job and started my own business. So once I am on my feet I will look at booking my trip.

• Administrators

Absolutely no harm in asking, especially if you haven't been around very long. There was a convention back in '04? '05? Can't remember. If memory serves it wasn't a huge success and the few people who stuck their necks out and put down their own money to make it happen will most likely never do it again! They did a great job from what I'm told but it takes a lot of thankless work for which they received mostly harsh criticizm.The idea for a convention always starts out with a lot of enthusiasm but when it comes down to making the commitment and putting out the cash the number of members who say "count me in!" drops pretty quickly.A 25th anniversary convention was heavily discussed but a rift between .ws and another Vice site pretty much put the kibosh on the whole deal.

Ferrariman,Thanks for the brief history lesson. Makes it more clear now.Appears that any ideas I had have probably been tried.A shame. I'm not in the best position now, but could have put a few hundred down. From what you said I cannot blame the previous organisers for not wanting to do it again.Also a shame 2 vice sites could not agree, for the bigger picture.Not to worry, I am still on track to visit sometime next year.

• Administrators

Well, never say never. A convention could still happen in the future. ;)