New To Me S&W4506 Like Sonny's 5th Season Pistol

Gary1911A1

Recently I purchased a S&W 4506 like Sonny carried in the 5th season. Mine like his had the S&W 645 fixed flat rear blade rather than the Novak Sight that soon replaced it. I also have a Miami Classic Shoulder Holster for it and plan on carrying it legally of course.Eingefügtes Bild

Where did that red helicopter come from?:DEingefügtes BildAfter retiring from corrections I do hope to never run into any ex inmates again. One wanted to stab me in Wal-Mart, but he sense something wasn't right and walked. Lucky for him.

• Administrators

I have both the 645 and 4506.However the 4506 does not have the combat trigger. :cry:Looks great and the factory grips look a lot better IMHO.

looks great.Are you eventually going to get a BREN TEN (or the new version?)?

I actually have two types of Bren Tens now plus a Galco Shoulder Holster made and stamped for the Bren Ten. I'm going to get at least one of the newer version and likely two as I want one in .45ACP too. My current two are safe queens now. The good news is the newer versions will also be Bren Tens as Vltor has purchased the rights to the name so they'll be Bren Tens too.Eingefügtes Bild

• Administrators

I'm hoping Galco will bring back the Jackass rig for the new Bren Ten, but I kinda doubt it. :cry:

I still love my 4506, I carried as a duty weapon until my last year, they switched us all to Glocks. I've got an old Galco rig for my 4506 I bought in 1987, and it's still just as comfortable now as it was then.

I have both the 645 and 4506.However the 4506 does not have the combat trigger. :cry:Looks great and the factory grips look a lot better IMHO.

The 645 is a great pistol too. No MIM parts, just good steel throughout. I think it was only made for about two years and not appreciated much as there are a number of used ones on the market.

I'm hoping Galco will bring back the Jackass rig for the new Bren Ten' date=' but I kinda doubt it. :cry:[/quote']Vltor plans on 2500 Bren Tens a year and I bet they sell them all. I bet many on this forum will buy one even people who don't own a pistol. I would think if Galco can sell only a couple hundred a year they'll make it again. Hopefully by next SHOT we'll be able to order Bren Tens!

I still love my 4506' date=' I carried as a duty weapon until my last year, they switched us all to Glocks. I've got an old Galco rig for my 4506 I bought in 1987, and it's still just as comfortable now as it was then.[/quote']Regarding the comfort I know how you feel. Isn't it great to be retired? Do you have your 218 Conceal Carry?

Regarding the comfort I know how you feel. Isn't it great to be retired? Do you have your 218 Conceal Carry?

No, as a reserve for less than 12 years, don't qualify. I do have a civilian carry permit however, and in my state, they rules are fairly "liberal". We pushed for "retired" creds, but in a small Mississippi agency (less than 70 officers) it's not a big priority.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

I found both of mine (645, 4506) on line at gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com forget which.Every once in a while a nice one will show up. It's a waiting game to find the one you want.

Gary, how you like that Classic Miami shoulder holster for comfort? I know some brands are killer and others you forget they're there and you can get in trouble peeling off you jacket having a concealed carry permit(yes, I have one and do carry) versus a badge...Some people just still, in this day and age freek out at the side of a fire arm.. I ask as I'm really tiring of my inside waist holster for my S&W MP .45...It's getting cold out and it's jacket season...Thoughts, anyone? And Cooper, as far as guns go...Well, you never have enough. I'm in love with an HK 9mm at my local shop...It's just the fact it's $950.00....For a 9...Good for carry(size) I suppose. It just feels sooo right...Mike

I found both of mine (645' date=' 4506) on line at gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com forget which.Every once in a while a nice one will show up. It's a waiting game to find the one you want.[/quote']Thanks, and I've watched both of those, but I wanted to know where Gary got his!

Thanks' date=' and I've watched both of those, but I wanted to know where Gary got his![/quote']I too got mine on GunBroker.com for $400. You might want to put the 4506 in your Searches there and wait to see if one comes up. I was glad to get mine. Some feel the older 4506 are somehow worth less than the newer 4506-1.

Gary' date=' how you like that Classic Miami shoulder holster for comfort? I know some brands are killer and others you forget they're there and you can get in trouble peeling off you jacket having a concealed carry permit(yes, I have one and do carry) versus a badge...Some people just still, in this day and age freek out at the side of a fire arm.. I ask as I'm really tiring of my inside waist holster for my S&W MP .45...It's getting cold out and it's jacket season...Thoughts, anyone? And Cooper, as far as guns go...Well, you never have enough. I'm in love with an HK 9mm at my local shop...It's just the fact it's $950.00....For a 9...Good for carry(size) I suppose. It just feels sooo right...Mike[/quote']I like the galco miami classic as well as the jackass model that preceded it. My favorite shoulder holster is the Alessi Bodyguard with the break away snap. More expensive and longer wait time, but like many things more expensive with wait time, it's worth it. I think it's very important to balance out the rig with magazines and other items (cuff case) than it is to use a tie down, but that's me. It's a heavier rig with the 4506 than a S&W M&P would be, but I don't do polymer striker fired pistols and once again that's just me.

MikeHave to second what Gary said, balancing the rig is the key, along with getting the initial fitting set right. It's like your car seat, once you get it set just right it's perfect. I never used the weak-side tie down, always used the double ammo case, and did have the hand-cuff case for a while, but don't use it any longer.

MikeHave to second what Gary said' date=' balancing the rig is the key, along with getting the initial fitting set right. It's like your car seat, once you get it set just right it's perfect. I never used the weak-side tie down, always used the double ammo case, and did have the hand-cuff case for a while, but don't use it any longer.[/quote']I had a 645..seem to have too long of a barrel to hide very well with a horizontal Galco under a tighter fitting jacket...ended up going with a Sig 220...

• Administrators

I have a .645 in a Ted Blocker rig and I can't conceal that unless I'm wearing a baggy golf type jacket or large winter coat.I have an X-Large Andrew Fezza that can't conceal the mag holders! Can't go any bigger unless I want the sleeves to drag on the floor. ;)I know I'm a bigger guy then DJ, but I never could figure out how he could conceal those 5" guns like that. He seems to get a horizontal/diagonal slope on his rig that I can't ever obtain for some reason. The rig does not want to cooperate. And the barrel pokes out the back giving you away.For me, in a Galco Shoulder Holster for concealment, it is either a really baggy golf jacket or I go with my Colt Officer's .45 with a 3 1/2" barrel.Anyone else have this problem too? :confused:

......I know I'm a bigger guy then DJ' date=' but I never could figure out how he could conceal those 5" guns like that...He seems to get a horizontal/diagonal slope on his rig that I can't ever obtain for some reason. .....:[/quote']Same issues of concealment.....the diagonal slope seems like a shortened back strap and lengthened front strap on the holster side...but make the draw very awkward and not very ergonomic....I didn't wonder as much how they hid SC's Bren or S/W as much as how Tubbs could wear an athletic-cut double breasted suit and pull his Stakeout...It is funny how some scenes that Tubb's draw side is away from the camera as not to show how really non-concealable the shotgun rig was, based on his uncover threads...I'm sure the crew laughed about it, and probably originally cast a full-on Bazzoka or Patriot missile battery and pared it back to the Skateout in the final anaysis....Regardless Galco owns Michael Mann, DJ and MV BIGTIME for a nearly instant major revenue stream in the 80s and beyond....