Muslim Woman to be Caned For Drinking Beer

Frey

What utter bullsh!t!!!quote"Ms. Kartika, who lives in Singapore, was caught drinking beer at a hotel in Kuantan, in Malaysia's Pahang state, during a raid on Dec. 11 by religious authorities."Religious Authorities??? WTF? There is the number one problem in these backwards thinking countries. Why does religion govern a society?In a FREE society one can choose whether to be religious or not and what faith to follow, if any? You should not have the "Brown Shirts" come in and tell you what you can or cannot do.

• Administrators

Gotta love a government that tells you what you can do.Wait a minute, that is sounding a lot like our government. :eek:

Well up here in the Great White North we can drink beer without repercussions like that!Even the water cops here are very good about drinking on the boat. As long as your not a jerk, they say nothing. If your loud and boysterous they charge you.It's like anything, moderation, keep your head and your ok.This woman was probably just socializing with a glass of beer with friends, from the jist of the column? I don't think she was totally sh!tfaced by anymeans?????The punishment is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too excessive!

In my opinion, muslime women are treated worse than muslime men no matter what it is about.I´m a companion for handicapt children and one of them is turkish. I like these people, but I think it´s dredful that her mother mustn´t leave the house without her burka, no matter if it´s 100 degree outside. Their older daughter is 12 now and started covering her hair some weeks ago. I´m sure that she must wear a burka sometime.What I ask myself with that case of the beer drinking woman is whether a man would have been treated the same way or not.

Many of the world's governments (even democratic ones in the west) have many of their rules and laws taken at least in basis from one form of religion or another. I've spent some time in some of the muslim lands over the years and, for the most part, the people are some of the warmest and friendliest in the world. It is a shame that several of the governments ruling those same people however have a lot to answer for in terms of their interpretation and application of the laws that govern those lands. If the 'backward' label has to be applied to anyone in these lands then I would have to point it at the governing bodies - the citizens and ordinary people themselves often want religion to be a part of the system that rules them, they just don't want oppressive governments in place, that's all. However the same could be said of every other government on the face of the planet - take the recent Libyan issue for example - now IMO the Scottish givernment has got that badly wrong - a poor mistake - an unwise error of judgement - but although I think they got it wrong this time, I'm not sure I hate their system as a result - it is democratic and by-and-large I think they get it right most of the time. That's how I feel about the muslim nation governments - most of the time they do a fair enough job given the circumstances, but no one or no system is perfect I guess and there will be mistakes sooner or later. And don't forget in most instances those governments aren't as old as our own systems of governance so they are relatively 'young' and still have lots of learning and development to do - which I think they will only learn in their own time.

In my opinion' date=' muslime women are treated worse than muslime men no matter what it is about.I´m a companion for handicapt children and one of them is turkish. I like these people, but I think it´s dredful that her mother mustn´t leave the house without her burka, no matter if it´s 100 degree outside. Their older daughter is 12 now and started covering her hair some weeks ago. I´m sure that she must wear a burka sometime.What I ask myself with that case of the beer drinking woman is whether a man would have been treated the same way or not.[/quote'] Sadly I think you're right about the different treatment of men and women Christine.

Gotta love a government that tells you what you can do.Wait a minute' date=' that is sounding a lot like our government. :eek:[/quote']For sure. While in Moscow, it was bizarre to see people walking down the sidewalk drinking a beer. When I mentioned that you can't do that in America, I got a puzzled look and was asked "why not?". About all I could say was that it was illegal mostly everywhere, so no one does it to avoid breaking the law.

• Administrators

Ain't it funny how we have silly laws about little stuff over here and over in other countries they have very restrictive laws about stuff we don't even think about and vice versa?

Well here in Ontario it is legal to go topless for women ... Hurahhhhhhhhhhhh!You don't see it too often but it is legal!At least the option is there and you won't go to jail because your sweating on a hot day.Some laws are just stupid and outdated and yes...many culture diversifiy what they consider right and wrong.I am a FIRM believer that religion has NO PLACE in politics. Church and State should be separate or government will be in koas!The other thing that bugs me ... aruuuuuuuuuuuug! is the fact that in this province when you get a drivers licence you get a picture taken. This is a form of picture ID and is probably one of the most important documents next to your passport.Muslim woman are going to court to try to say that they should be able to wear their burkas!?!?!?! WTF?Can you imagine a drivers licence with a black mark with a little slit across the centre? What kind of ID is that?Lets get real here people. Freedom of religion ... or picture ID.These people need to understand the word "ASSIMILATE"sorry...end of rant.

Hey Stinger, with girls walking around topless in Ontario... you may have a lot more rapists or maybe it's so common, the guys are turning gay to see something different! ;):D

hahahahahaNot exactly. Like I said you rarely see a topless woman, even on a hot day, but it is thier right to do so if they choose without repurcussion. That is the way it should be.You see topless and nude beaches in Europe all the time. We have a nude beach here in Toronto at Hanlans Point. You never hear of a rape or crime there! It's just people being people. No complications.I have been there many times with the boat.

• Administrators

Didn't women construction workers win the "right" to go topless like the men on construction jobs in New York or New York City?I believe they passed a law allowing them the same right as men several years ago?Anyone else remember hearing that?