Season 1 - Final Remarks

timm525

I disagree. Made for each other is on the silly side' date=' but it does have a heart. The friendship between Stan and Larry was nice and Sonny had a great talk with larry at the end.I am not very keen on Noogie, I always thought he was annoying. But still, a fun episode, but still bottom of the first season. But I would prefer this episode above 80% of the season 4 episodes for example. At least the cast and crew was having some fun.[/quote']Yeah, I agree that Noogie was annoying and irritated the heck out of me! :evil: LOL! :) But, so did "Made For Each Other"...and it wasn't just because they included both Noogie and Izzy in the same episode...although that seriously added to the irritation and stupidity. :p But, even though I liked Stan and Larry...that episode was just pointless and almost an "SNL" spoof of a "MV" episode--it was stupid! :thumbsdown: But, that's just my opinion--totally respect those who like it. :thumbsup: After all...it still is "MV". :cool:However, I actually like most of Season 4 and 5 episodes...I don't think those seasons are as "horrible" as some make them out to be. ;) There are some very bad and/or poor episodes in those seasons... (Season 4's "Missing Hours" is not only the worst episode of the series...but possibly in TV history, and Season 5's "Miracle Man" was pretty ridiculous) but as a whole the seasons are still pretty awesome! :clap: So, I'd rather watch several Season 4 or 5 episodes over "Made For Each Other". :done:

• 2 years later...

Yes love Hit List and Calderone's Return Part 2 as well as Brother's Keeper . So many fine episodes including No Exit and Nobody Lives Forever. A groundbreaking Season !!

10/10:D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Evan. One of the greatest episodes of the whole series. William Russ should have won  Emmy award for his performance as Evan Freed. Another favourites from S1: No Exit, Milk Run, Smuggler's Blues, Nobody Lives Forever

• Like 1

A great season - the Pilot, Hit List and Calderone episodes ,  Rites of Passage ...the list goes on and on :D

• 4 months later...

Oh boi its a hard one.... Calderones demise... Hit list.... No exit.... Evan.... Golden Triangle... so many classics but i got to go with CD.. Its just good old awesomeness :thumbsup: I love the Calderone arc so much. 

On 10/23/2016 at 1:21 PM, Jay1984 said:

Oh boi its a hard one.... Calderones demise... Hit list.... No exit.... Evan.... Golden Triangle... so many classics but i got to go with CD.. Its just good old awesomeness :thumbsup: I love the Calderone arc so much. 

Great - yes so many great episodes in that first half of the Season - really set the standard

10/10:done:

• 6 months later...

My personal ranking. This changes all the time.

1 Brother's Keeper

2 The Hit List

3 Calderone's Demise

4 One Eyed Jack

5 The Home Invaders

6 Evan

7 Smugglers Blues

8 Score

9 Golden Triangle

10 No Exit

11 Cool Runnin'

12 Heart Of Darkness

13 The Great McCarthy

14 Milk Run

15 Rites Of Passage

16 Made For Each Other

17 Lombard

18 Glades

19 Little Prince

20 Give A Little, Take A Little

21 The Maze

22 Nobody Lives Forever

On 5/6/2017 at 6:49 AM, Remington said:

My personal ranking. This changes all the time.

1 Brother's Keeper

2 The Hit List

3 Calderone's Demise

4 One Eyed Jack

5 The Home Invaders

6 Evan

7 Smugglers Blues

8 Score

9 Golden Triangle

10 No Exit

11 Cool Runnin'

12 Heart Of Darkness

13 The Great McCarthy

14 Milk Run

15 Rites Of Passage

16 Made For Each Other

17 Lombard

18 Glades

19 Little Prince

20 Give A Little, Take A Little

21 The Maze

22 Nobody Lives Forever

Wow all episodes ranked !

• Like 1

I have yet to make a ranking list for S1. :)  Although I know "Brother's Keeper" is my number one. 

So far so good. :D

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

It would have to be Brothers keeper for me. It's where it all started and was built from. Crocketts intro was pretty bad ass as his image was a little ragged out from partying all night into the morning but also really driving home his style in that opening. Gives a good character feel of what his job does to him. It's where Tubbs and Crockett team up as well.

Calderone's return part 2 is a close second w/ great scenery matching tunes on the boat on the way to get Calderone and on the way back to Miami among other things.

Edited by ZAQ 178
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

There can be no doubt in anybody's mind ever that Miami Vice was groundbreaking television for its day. They just got it so incredibly right with season one. Name one episode of season 1 that positively sucks, I dare you. They managed to even make a daft episode like "Made for Each Other" not only forgivable, but really very entertaining for all the right reasons. Episodes like "Give A Little, Take A Little" or "The Maze" may not have been S1's strong points, but they're still good.

My all-time favorite episode, not just of S1 but of the whole series, is Lombard. A break from the norm of standard drug busts, but a refreshing one at that, delivered the usual unique Michael Mann way, and with a haunting theme to boot that to me counts as one of Jan Hammer's all-time best. I also really like Calderone's Return and Golden Triangle, and  great episodes like The Home Invaders or Evan. But somehow, Lombard has always been the undisputed number one for me. ;)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 4

• 10 months later...

Hello and Greetings from Switzerland

I also have my remarks for Season 1.

For me its one of the strongest first Season i know.
On a lot of Shows after the last Season if you do a Review of the whole show its like "The First Season was ok but it got much better later".
Miami Vice is different. Besides 3 or 4 Episodes the first Season has the strongest scripts in my opinion. And the Style of the show especially in the last two thirds of the season is also strong. So it has the best combination of Style and Substance of all Seasons i think.

The Pilot Episode is also one of the strongest of all Pilots i know. Normally Pilot Episodes are weaker than the rest and considered only as good intro episodes with much more to come. The MV Pilot is very good and works perfectly as a TV Movie. Its such a good introduction to the show and has the legendary "In the air tonight" Scene. I dont know many pilot episodes that have one of the most iconic scenes of the whole show.

Highlights of Season 1 for me:
- Brothers Keeper
- Heart of Darkness
- Calderones Return Part 1+2
- Golden Triangle Part 1+2
- Smugglers Blues
- Evan
- Lombard (i love Farina)

Lowlights of Season 1:
- Mr. Cool (Dont like Noogie that much)
- Little Prince
- The Maze
- Made for each other (i dont like full comedy episodes that much)

Overall i would give this Season a 10/10 because i consider it a normal thing that a handful of not that strong episodes are in a TV Season. And the Season 1 Lowlights are not that Low compared to Season 2,3,4,5 Lowlights hehe. Even the not good Episodes in Season 1 are not stinkers. The other Seasons have their stinkers.
So i see Season 1 as the perfect Miami Vice Season and therefore it gets 10/10.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

This is the only season I can confidently say has no stinkers. Even its weakest episodes manage to be enjoyable and don't have many flaws. Great to see the series rise - excellent music and clothes!

Highlights: Pilot, Evan, Smuggler's Blues, Heart of Darkness

Weakest episodes: The Maze, Little Prince, Glades

10/10 season.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Greatest season in TV history!

Every episode apart from "The Maze" are brilliant. 

You liked "Made for each other" more? Beside that, I'd totally agree! This season had it all, a masterpiece! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, squeezem3 said:

You liked "Made for each other" more? Beside that, I'd totally agree! This season had it all, a masterpiece! 

Yeah, I really enjoy watching that episode. I don't necessarily think "The Maze" is a bad episode its just too gritty and depressing, its the kind of material suited for a TV show like Kojak or Quincy ME.

Edited by RedDragon86

This first season is a 10/10 for me as well. 

Top episodes for me: 

The Pilot, Hit List/Return of Calderone, Evan, Milk Run, Home Invaders, Lombard, No Exit, Smuggler's Blues

Bottom of the list for me: 

Made for Each Other-there was some fun dialog, but for the most part, I found it silly. (sorry to those who loved it!) and Give a Little, Take a Little-it irritated me to see Gina let herself get trapped in that situation with Rameriz. Just wasn't believable to me. 

Another note: there are some strong scenes or character growth I saw in the episodes not rated as "best" that I think deserve mentioning: 

1. Glades: Sonny trying to rescue the little girl hostage: "Maybe you won't twitch!"; 2. The Maze: Sonny's concern with saving Tubbs throughout the episode struck a chord with me. They had become true partners in every sense of the word; 3. One Eyed Jack: Castillo to Rico: "Don't ever get in my face like that again, Detective". The look on Sonny's face as he pulls Rico away and Castillo's glare were classic!: 4. Rites of Passage: the final shoot out scene ending with Valerie telling Crockett to read her her rights; 5. The Great McCarthy: The Pool Game, and the boat race. 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have the original single sided copies. They worked fine.   I bought the new double sided copies, and they had global recording defects. We are talking about the Universal studios version. I found out Mill creek entertainment makes single sided copies, of season one and two and they work great.  

Season two, double sided copies from universal also had global defects.  Again, go with Mill creek entertainment. Season 1 and 2 work great.   

• 7 months later...

Well.......... to be fair, I think I am......... too late, but here are my remarks:

Good season.  Many average episodes though, and around 2-3 bad episodes (The maze, Rites of passage, Lombard)

The style isn't at its peak yet.

Weak season finale.

Best season opener in the entire series.

I like the Stinger more than the Scarab.

The filthy "Daytona" scene....... you know the "In the air tonight". Top 15 scenes of mine. 

The "Voices" scene with the Stinger is so.... "fresh"

The Calderone-saga story is actually so well written. Highly enjoyable.

Fresh plots, we get introduced to ALL the main characters. Nothing was "burned".

2nd most music used in a season, and very good music. I can't stress this enough..... the main advantages of the first 2 seasons are the music and visual style.

"Noogman" and "Izzy" are involved more, and do serve their purpose well.

We get a lot of Crockett and Tubbs background. Also, we have Rodriguez as the liutenant for 4 episodes.

Good guest stars- Bruce Willis is a good example as one of the most notable guest stars in the entire series.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Season 1...an amazing, unbelievable, captivating, fascinating, sizzling explosion onto the TV screen—as every episode seemed to crackle with stylish flair...with color, fashion, cars, and music!! :glossy::radio::cool: 

A groundbreaking, innovative show that was catapulted into iconic status almost immediately! However, like any show, the first season is a sort of test/run tryout...there’s always kinks, quirks, and wrinkles to iron out. By mid to end of Season 1, I think they got things fairly well figured out...and Season 2 was superb!

• Like 3

On 3/12/2021 at 11:52 PM, fakespyder said:

It's never too late Adrian321 :)

No it isn't and I can only agree with all the Evan fans, followed by the Smugglers Blues  fans followed by the Milk Run fans and all the enthusiasts generally of Season 1 which was overall superb!

• Like 4