Season 1 - Final Remarks

timm525

Hit List. I can watch this over... and over... and over... and over.As for Evan... well I like that one, but I think I prefer Hit List.

Guest neworder

This is a tough one for me, but I chose One Eyed Jack. It's a special episode for me as it was the episode that really hooked me onto Vice, it's also top class in every way, the Vice formula was perfected in this episode, maybe it's because Castillo came in. Other contenders - Smugglers Blues, Hit List, The Great McArthy, Evan, Lombard, Pilot, No Exit, Milk Run - a list of pure brilliant episodes. Looking back at my scores for Season 1, the season is only let down by The Maze and Made For Each Other in my book. I gave 4 episodes 9.5 or more out of 10 in this season compared to 2 in Season 2. If The Maze and Made For Each Other didn't exist I'm convinced that perhaps Season 1 would be my top rated season...but they do, and i'm sorry but the Maze in particular was a horrifically bad episode in my book.

As much as I love One Eyed Jack, and Hitlist, and have watched them more than other episodes, I had to vote for "Brother's Keeper," simply because it's the whole pemise of Miami Vice......Tubbs coming to Miami to get his brother's killer, and finally considering that 'career in Southern law enforcement', as Crockett's partner. All the goodies are there.....music, beach, color, drama, Elvis etc. that makes us love Miami Vice. Without the "Pilot" episode there would be no Miami Vice!

Hitlist for me - after a lot of thinking on the subject. It was easier to strike off my non-favourites "Made for each other" and "Glades". The rest of the eps tie in second place as the storylines/characters/locations/fashions were great and are still enjoyable today.Sue

• 4 months later...

lombardlombard is my favorite...but there are so many great episodes from this season...the jan hammer track one way out cinches it...great theme throughout...charlie glide as labrizzi...openin scene with vice sneking onto boat in the early morning in miami, with jh track...dont know what else to say...crocktt and lombard on boat night before he testifies is classic vice and always brings me back to the 80's...when we were all so young...sigh...crockett as much as he begins to like al lombard...doesnt let him off the hook for barbara carrolls murder in one eyed jack...great scene and a classic moment on mv

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching the first season the last three weeks again.I had a tough time chosing my favorite ep but after some deep thinking I choose milk run as most favourite ep because for me it is the first time I saw a deeper layer into Crockets character which is build out troughout the series.My top five from season 11. Milk run: (see above)2. Evan: the music, the gasstation scene and the last scene of the ep where Crocket is holding Evan and Tubbs is standing behind him!3. Smuggler's blues: I don't know why but this ep really got me.4. hitlist/ Calderone's return 1: the scene with the man who brings Crockets cigarettes back. Beach scene with Crocket, Caroline and Billy, Shooting scene at Carolines house. Good acting5. Lombard and nobody lives foreverAnd I can get over the fact that somewhere during watching I totally forgot the fact that the ep are 25 years old. I got so involved with the stories and the main caracters that the old phones etc didn't matter.

Evan, hands down. Highighting the relationship between Sony & Rico and Sonny opening up a very pesonal side we've not seen before. The score was also exceptional in this ep.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Okay, I chose or voted for "Hit List"...but this originally was a 2-part episode called "Calderone's Return" Pts. 1&2. I don't know if the "Hit List" and "Calderone's Demise" titles were created later for snydication?? But even the cable networks I've ever watched reruns on in the past still listed them as the "Calderone's Return" 2-parter.Anyway, I would have voted for both of them if I could have...because you need both to make the story. But, I just chose the first half. I love this 2-part story, it's just superb and I can watch it over and over and over again! I also love the "Pilot" movie and you need it to truly understand the "Calderone's Return" saga...but "Calderone's Return" really shows how much Crockett and Tubbs care for and how far they will go to, to help each other. It also shows how much the Vice team cares for each other as a whole, and the lengths they went to, to avenge their leader's death.But, I loved the idea of Calderone himself too. He was the perfect nemisis for Crockett and Tubbs, and I wish they'd of let him live and come back for a few more episodes first before killing him off. "Smuggler's Blues", "Evan", "The Great McCarthy", "No Exit", "Home Invaders", etc...are all awesome episodes (especially "Smuggler's Blues")--but in first season, in my opinion, the best, most exciting, and defining episode is the 2-part "Calderone's Return" (aka "Hit List" and "Calderone's Demise")! :thumbsup::cool:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hit list for me. The perfect episode, nearly. The shootout at the end was a bit daft. The assassin was super slick all the way through but then made a pig's ear of trying to kill Sonny.Great McCarthy next, then Brother's Keeper, Milk run, Heart of Darkness etc afterwards.I don't get all the fuss about Evan. Good episode but nothing special IMO

• 1 year later...

love this 2-part story, it's just superb and I can watch it over and over and over again! I also love the "Pilot" movie and you need it to truly understand the "Calderone's Return" saga...but "Calderone's Return" really shows how much Crockett and Tubbs care for and how far they will go to, to help each other. It also shows how much the Vice team cares for each other as a whole, and the lengths they went to, to avenge their leader's death.But, I loved the idea of Calderone himself too. He was the perfect nemisis for Crockett and Tubbs, and I wish they'd of let him live and come back for a few more episodes first before killing him off. "Smuggler's Blues", "Evan", "The Great McCarthy", "No Exit", "Home Invaders", etc...are all awesome episodes (especially "Smuggler's Blues")--but in first season, in my opinion, the best, most exciting, and defining episode is the 2-part "Calderone's Return" (aka "Hit List" and "Calderone's Demise")! :thumbsup::cool:

This was my original statement about which episode/s from 1st season was my favorite. I still agree..."Calderone's Return" Pts. 1&2 were just superb...they truly defined "Miami Vice" with everything--music, action, pastel colors, pastel fashion, the cars, the sizzling/explosive action, plot twists, acting, etc... :thumbsup: "Smuggler's Blues" comes in a darn close second to also being my favorite episode of 1st season, and it too is superb! I'm a little surprised that "Evan" beat it out. "Evan" is an awesome episode too, by all means, but to me "Smuggler's" surpasses it with no problem.The first season introduced us to one of the most ground-breaking, innovative TV shows ever...and no one will ever forget the night-driving scene in the Pilot, with Crockett's Daytona and Phil Collins playing in the background! :clap: However, personally I think season 2 is the best season of the series...with 1st season coming in as my 2nd favorite. There were still some characterization and acting aspects to figure out and get established during 1st season...and those truly came together for season 2. But, there are some superb episodes for 1st season and here are the other superb ones that I also would vote the best if I could:"Brother's Keeper" (Pilot)"One Eyed Jack""No Exit""The Great McCarthy""Smuggler's Blues"--(comes in a darn close second as my favorite along with "Calderone's Return"!)"The Maze"The Home Invaders""Evan""Lombard"Here are the episodes that are still awesome but maybe not what I would call the "best":"Heart of Darkness""Cool Runnin'""Give a Little, Take a Little""Little Prince""Milk Run""Golden Triangle" Pts. 1&2"Rites of Passage""Nobody Lives Forever"Here are the episodes that I didn't think were all that wonderful but are still watchable:"Glades""Made For Each Other"

• 4 months later...

Typhoon in Tokyo this weekend (my current hometown), therefore watched a hell of a lot of season 1 episodes again. First time in maybe 2 years time or so, I took a bit of a hiatus from Vice lately.This is still my favourite season. Everything that made Vice popular comes back in this season. The tone is a bit lighter, despite some serious subjects. But the cast is obviously fresh and enjoying themselves while shooting Vice. The chemistry between Don and PMT never got to the same level as during this season. After the success they both took themselves way to serious and the level dropped sadly.Best episodes where Evan, Hitlist, Calderone's return, the pilot, Milk Run, Smugglers blues. But actually all of them are watchable and great. I even enjoyed Glades a lot. Great season and nothing can change my mind that this will always be my absolute favourite.

Typhoon in Tokyo this weekend (my current hometown)' date=' therefore watched a hell of a lot of season 1 episodes again. First time in maybe 2 years time or so, I took a bit of a hiatus from Vice lately.This is still my favourite season. Everything that made Vice popular comes back in this season. The tone is a bit lighter, despite some serious subjects. But the cast is obviously fresh and enjoying themselves while shooting Vice. The chemistry between Don and PMT never got to the same level as during this season. After the success they both took themselves way to serious and the level dropped sadly.Best episodes where Evan, Hitlist, Calderone's return, the pilot, Milk Run, Smugglers blues. But actually all of them are watchable and great. I even enjoyed Glades a lot. Great season and nothing can change my mind that this will always be my absolute favourite.[/quote']I agree...awesome season! "Calderone's Return", "Evan", "Smuggler's Blues", etc...were all superb episodes for the first season. However, in my opinion there were still some kinks to work out, and the show was just getting started...there were some characterization aspects to figure out as well. I think they really ironed out all the wrinkles and got things together for Season 2...and it shows!
This was my original statement about which episode/s from 1st season was my favorite. I still agree..."Calderone's Return" Pts. 1&2 were just superb...they truly defined "Miami Vice" with everything--music' date=' action, pastel colors, pastel fashion, the cars, the sizzling/explosive action, plot twists, acting, etc... :thumbsup: "Smuggler's Blues" comes in a darn close second to also being my favorite episode of 1st season, and it too is superb! I'm a little surprised that "Evan" beat it out. "Evan" is an awesome episode too, by all means, but to me "Smuggler's" surpasses it with no problem.The first season introduced us to one of the most ground-breaking, innovative TV shows ever...and no one will ever forget the night-driving scene in the Pilot, with Crockett's Daytona and Phil Collins playing in the background! :clap: However, personally I think season 2 is the best season of the series...with 1st season coming in as my 2nd favorite. There were still some characterization and acting aspects to figure out and get established during 1st season...and those truly came together for season 2. But, there are some superb episodes for 1st season and here are the other superb ones that I also would vote the best if I could:"Brother's Keeper" (Pilot)"One Eyed Jack""No Exit""The Great McCarthy""Smuggler's Blues"--([u']comes in a darn close second as my favorite along with "Calderone's Return"!)"The Maze"The Home Invaders""Evan""Lombard"Here are the episodes that are still awesome but maybe not what I would call the "best":"Heart of Darkness""Cool Runnin'""Give a Little, Take a Little""Little Prince""Milk Run""Golden Triangle" Pts. 1&2"Rites of Passage""Nobody Lives Forever"Here are the episodes that I didn't think were all that wonderful but are still watchable:"Glades""Made For Each Other"

Best Episodes----Pilot--Heart Of Darkness--Hitlist--One Eyed Jack--No Exit--Great McCarthy--Milk Run--Golden Triangle 1&2--Smugglers Blues--Rites of Passage--Home Invaders--Evan--LombardMaybe you could add Nobody Lives Forever too, But crockett's GF is annoying.All the other episodes are either watchable or horrid..So whats that? 14 out of 21 episodes..Not bad.The first few episodes are a little iffy, but once they introduce castillo the show becomes even more epic. Everything starts to gel..

Best Episodes----Pilot--Heart Of Darkness--Hitlist--One Eyed Jack--No Exit--Great McCarthy--Milk Run--Golden Triangle 1&2--Smugglers Blues--Rites of Passage--Home Invaders--Evan--LombardMaybe you could add Nobody Lives Forever too' date=' But crockett's GF is annoying.All the other episodes are either watchable or horrid..So whats that? 14 out of 21 episodes..Not bad.The first few episodes are a little iffy, but once they introduce castillo the show becomes even more epic. Everything starts to gel..[/quote']I mostly agree! All these episodes are awesome! But, I don't think there were any horrid episodes in Seasons 1-3...maybe a couple poor or weak ones, but not horrid. ;) For Season 1, the only truly poor or ridiculous episode, in my opinion, is "Made For Each Other". Flat out stupidity and not much point to it. :rolleyes: I'm not "wild" about "Glades" either...but "Made For" was worse. :sick: "Milk Run" is not one of my favorites either but that's because it's so sad and depressing :cry: , not because it had a poor plot or had bad acting.But, I agree that in the beginning they were still trying to figure things out, and iron out the wrinkles, so-to-speak. I liked Lou Rodriguez, but I think Castillo was the right choice and really helped "make" the show! :clap: I also agree that "Nobody Lives Forever" was a good episode, but Crockett's girlfriend, Brenda, was definitely annoying and not attractive! :eek: But, she was supposed to be...that way fans were cool when he finally dumped her at the end. ;)

I disagree. Made for each other is on the silly side, but it does have a heart. The friendship between Stan and Larry was nice and Sonny had a great talk with larry at the end.I am not very keen on Noogie, I always thought he was annoying. But still, a fun episode, but still bottom of the first season. But I would prefer this episode above 80% of the season 4 episodes for example. At least the cast and crew was having some fun.

• Like 1