Season 1 - Final Remarks

timm525

On 3/12/2021 at 9:58 AM, Adrian321 said:

Best season opener in the entire series.

In all of TV history for me :thumbsup:

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

In all of TV history for me :thumbsup:

Definitely one of the most iconic! The pilot TV movie for the original Hawaii Five-0 (1968), and the pilot for CSI (2000), were also very innovative and impactful!

• Like 1

Since I have not seen the series for a long period of time (shame on me :hot:), I have now started from the beginning and have only reached Rites of Passage. Nevertheless, there are things I can already say:
I always found Noogie annoying. The guy seemed to be constantly drugged and his babbling is annoying in both the original English version and the German dub. There isn't a single episode where I can get anything out of him.
I think the story about Calderone is very good, even though I still think they could have found a more attractive Angelina. By the way, in the novel she is described completely differently. 
Give a little, take a little: What happens to Gina is very tragic, but presumably she couldn't do otherwise if she didn't want to put herself in great danger. But the part showed very clearly that she felt pretty cool and downright unassailable. That's the only reason she went to the meeting alone.
As I said, except for the "noogie episodes", I liked every episode.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 2:58 PM, Adrian321 said:

Well.......... to be fair, I think I am......... too late, but here are my remarks:

Good season.  Many average episodes though, and around 2-3 bad episodes (The maze, Rites of passage, Lombard)

The style isn't at its peak yet.

Weak season finale.

Best season opener in the entire series.

I like the Stinger more than the Scarab.

The filthy "Daytona" scene....... you know the "In the air tonight". Top 15 scenes of mine. 

The "Voices" scene with the Stinger is so.... "fresh"

The Calderone-saga story is actually so well written. Highly enjoyable.

Fresh plots, we get introduced to ALL the main characters. Nothing was "burned".

2nd most music used in a season, and very good music. I can't stress this enough..... the main advantages of the first 2 seasons are the music and visual style.

"Noogman" and "Izzy" are involved more, and do serve their purpose well.

We get a lot of Crockett and Tubbs background. Also, we have Rodriguez as the liutenant for 4 episodes.

Good guest stars- Bruce Willis is a good example as one of the most notable guest stars in the entire series.

Weak finale?

"Lombard" is awesome.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Weak finale?

"Lombard" is awesome.

Agreed...Lombard is an awesome character & season finale!! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 3:04 AM, RedDragon86 said:

Weak finale?

"Lombard" is awesome.

I mean............. not a bad episode in the sense of "not watchable", it is  watchable, but deffinitely not a propper season finale in my opinion.  Especially after "Evan". Maybe I don't get/like Lombard's character that much (he didn't really fit in the series, especially in the "style era"- S1 and 2, as I and others agreed on that topic of the episode itself). The other weak season finale that I can think of is "Heroes of the Revolution".

I really can't think which season finale of MV is weaker. S1's finale, or S3's............... I'd say S3's is even weaker, not by much.

Edited by Adrian321
Forgot something

5 hours ago, Adrian321 said:

I mean............. not a bad episode in the sense of "not watchable", it is  watchable, but deffinitely not a propper season finale in my opinion.  Especially after "Evan". Maybe I don't get/like Lombard's character that much (he didn't really fit in the series, especially in the "style era"- S1 and 2, as I and others agreed on that topic of the episode itself). The other weak season finale that I can think of is "Heroes of the Revolution".

I really can't think which season finale of MV is weaker. S1's finale, or S3's............... I'd say S3's is even weaker, not by much.

Yeah but Al was the main player in the background that they were after in season 1, he was mentioned numerous times in other episodes during that season. Even Tubbs had said his unit before joining Vice were hoping to bust him in New York but no luck.

To me ending it with Al Lombard made complete sense, the producers obviously had the idea of ending this way as soon as the season started. The episode itself is an exciting one, I just love the way it begins, so stylish. Its not like it was boring, we had shootouts, car chases. It's a very touching one as well.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Yeah but Al was the main player in the background that they were after in season 1, he was mentioned numerous times in other episodes during that season. Even Tubbs had said his unit before joining Vice were hoping to bust him in New York but no luck.

To me ending it with Al Lombard made complete sense, the producers obviously had the idea of ending this way as soon as the season started. The episode itself is an exciting one, I just love the way it begins, so stylish. Its lot like it was boring, we had shootouts, car chases. It's a very touching one as well.

Completely agree!! :thumbsup: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

No lame episodes in this season which is the most consistent in quality of the five years.  Some episodes are better than others, and even the "lesser" episodes (Cool Runnin', Little Prince, Nobody Lives Forever) are nevertheless watchable and entertaining.  But which are my top 5?  Lessee...

1. No Exit - This one has haunted me for a long, long time.  Bruce Willis is terrific as one of Vice's most hateable criminals, Katherine Borowitz is expertly painful as a beaten-down victim, both physically and emotionally.  "I Don't Care Anymore" is used very effectively, even echoing poignantly in the score. 

2. Golden Triangle 1/2 - Kind of a cheat, as these are two separate episodes which are only truly connected toward the end of part 1.  But it's an excellent "movie" taking us from the humor of the brassy Candy in the hotel setting to the corrupt cops to Castillo's awesome fight outside the Thai restaurant to his reunion with his wife to the showdown with Lao Li.  And don't forget Li's two dumbass grandsons with their magnificently stupid car horn! 

3. Brother's Keeper - Well, this is where it all starts.  Practically every second of this pilot is iconic to me.  The "In the Air Tonight" drive is just icing on the cake.  The five year adventure is out of the gate. 

4. Rites of Passage - I almost went for "The Great McCarthy" or "Smuggler's Blues" here, but "Rites" stands out with Pam Grier, John Turturro, "I Want to Know What Love Is," and the emotional pull of it thanks to the music, the editing, the acting, the design.  A good episode to show someone who wants to sample Vice.

5. Made for Each Other  - Yup, I did it!  I put this one in my top 5!  Sorry, ViceFanMan, but the misadventures of Switek, Zito, Izzy AND the Noog-Man delight me to no end.  :D

Aside from the already mentioned "The Great McCarthy" and "Smuggler's Blues," other runners-up are "Hit List/Calderone's Demise," "Lombard," "Glades," and "Heart of Darkness." "The Maze" is underrated, "Evan" is overrated (but still great) and "One Eyed Jack," "Give a Little, Take a Little," "Milk Run" and "The Home Invaders" are all great too. 

Best songs:

Rhythm of the Heat, In the Night, Voices, Girls with Guns, I Don't Care Anymore, I Want to Know What Love Is, Smuggler's Blues, Come to Poppa, The Glamorous Life, Biko. And Jan Hammer's groundbreaking score needs no further praise from me.

Most beautiful woman: Vanessa (Maria McDonald)

Biggest shock: The last few seconds of "No Exit."

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

No lame episodes in this season which is the most consistent in quality of the five years.  Some episodes are better than others, and even the "lesser" episodes (Cool Runnin', Little Prince, Nobody Lives Forever) are nevertheless watchable and entertaining.  But which are my top 5?  Lessee...

1. No Exit - This one has haunted me for a long, long time.  Bruce Willis is terrific as one of Vice's most hateable criminals, Katherine Borowitz is expertly painful as a beaten-down victim, both physically and emotionally.  "I Don't Care Anymore" is used very effectively, even echoing poignantly in the score. 

2. Golden Triangle 1/2 - Kind of a cheat, as these are two separate episodes which are only truly connected toward the end of part 1.  But it's an excellent "movie" taking us from the humor of the brassy Candy in the hotel setting to the corrupt cops to Castillo's awesome fight outside the Thai restaurant to his reunion with his wife to the showdown with Lao Li.  And don't forget Li's two dumbass grandsons with their magnificently stupid car horn! 

3. Brother's Keeper - Well, this is where it all starts.  Practically every second of this pilot is iconic to me.  The "In the Air Tonight" drive is just icing on the cake.  The five year adventure is out of the gate. 

4. Rites of Passage - I almost went for "The Great McCarthy" or "Smuggler's Blues" here, but "Rites" stands out with Pam Grier, John Turturro, "I Want to Know What Love Is," and the emotional pull of it thanks to the music, the editing, the acting, the design.  A good episode to show someone who wants to sample Vice.

5. Made for Each Other  - Yup, I did it!  I put this one in my top 5!  Sorry, ViceFanMan, but the misadventures of Switek, Zito, Izzy AND the Noog-Man delight me to no end.  :D

Aside from the already mentioned "The Great McCarthy" and "Smuggler's Blues," other runners-up are "Hit List/Calderone's Demise," "Lombard," "Glades," and "Heart of Darkness." "The Maze" is underrated, "Evan" is overrated (but still great) and "One Eyed Jack," "Give a Little, Take a Little," "Milk Run" and "The Home Invaders" are all great too. 

Best songs:

Rhythm of the Heat, In the Night, Voices, Girls with Guns, I Don't Care Anymore, I Want to Know What Love Is, Smuggler's Blues, Come to Poppa, The Glamorous Life, Biko. And Jan Hammer's groundbreaking score needs no further praise from me.

Most beautiful woman: Vanessa (Maria McDonald)

Biggest shock: The last few seconds of "No Exit."

Awesome beginning for the show...however, you could tell they were still trying to iron out the proverbial wrinkles, figure out what directions they were going to go, and even the acting with some was a little cheesy. There were a couple lame episodes in Season 1, but nothing terrible by any means! 

In my opinion they really got things figured out & up-n-running with Season 2—and it rocked the house with popularity and ratings! Season 2 basically has no bad or lame episodes...although some are a little stronger than others. But, Season 1 was an amazing & “sizzling” introduction for the series & characters! :thumbsup: 

• Like 2