Episode #6 "One-Eyed Jack"

Ferrariman

• 7 months later...

"One Eyed Jack"I have to like this episode, I'm Italian! Too bad we're always cast as racketeers. I guess art imitates life, LOL Even Tubbs speaks a little Italian with Lombard- south Italy though( Africa). I like the fight with the body guard rolling down the stairs. A lot of cool dialog, Sonny extinguishing his cigarette in DeMarco's cottege cheese, Rico calling the internal affairs guy "scrodface", Castillo eventually looking up Sonny's record & throwing the I.A. guy out of his office. Very cool how Rico set up DeMarco. The music was excellent: " Jump". PMT seemed to be having a ball in this episode playing poker, dancing, & being his personable self. I always liked Dennis Farina. He is a likeable gangster,as we see in later episodes. My rating is a 10 ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:added : This is one of the episodes that made me love Miami Vice and Florida!

• Like 2

Excellent episode that really cements the style of Vice. In the first few episodes you got the feeling that something crucial was abscent. It's clear in this episode what it was. Enter Castillo. He made such a memorable entrance. He laid out his boundaries and was quite tough on everyone but doing so he earned the respect of the department. Who could forget 'Don't ever come up to my face like this again, Detective'. Lombard made his first appearance here too. Dennis Farina was of course great. He really showed both sides of the character. He's a likeable guy but capable of badness, like sanctioning the murder of a wife and mother. Warhol hunk Joe Dallesandro was fantastic as Badass Guillini in Down For The Count 2 but his character here was less memorable. He was good in the role but Little Joe was much better served playing an ice-blooded badass like Guillini then a chump like DeMarco. I guess you could say he played Fredo Corleone in One Eyed Jack and Michael Corleone in Down For The Count 2. Dan Hedaya also re-appeared in a future episode(Payback). He was a real pain in the butt for Crockett so it was a relief when Castillo came down on him. This episode has all the classic elements of Vice. Great songs; 'Wonderful Tonight' by Eric Clapton and 'Jump For My Love' by The Pointer Sisters. The intro is great with Sonny and Rico on stakeout and the chaotic fight scene. 

A top notch ep all round. Vice really hit it's stride here. 9.5/10

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 3

Guest neworder

This is definately a 10! This episode really does blend all the features of vice very well, style, music, passion and scenery. Intro is well done, Fat guy with all the white cats maybe a nod to Blofeld in 007 movies lol. Amusing and fun fight between the goon and crockett and tubbs. Love it when they bash down the door 'freeze miami vice' fantastic stuff that would be repeated many times over the TV show. Movin on, the episode is very significant in that it introduces Castillo...brilliantly. What a great performance by EJO, comes across as menacing and mysterious, 'dont ever come upto my face like this again detective' was a fantastic line. Another performance i cant help giving credit to, is PMT as Tubbs, he's terrific in this episode, great lines, great enthusiasm, a very different Tubbs to the one we find from season 2/3 onwards. Anyway, what else does this episode have. Some great music, and a great club scene with Tubbs doing some interesting dance moves. The scene in the club really defines the whole 80's club theme, thats how i imagine it was and i assume it was and i love it, looks great. Jan Hammer's music is also very good in this one. Great ending to this episode with lombard getting away, crockett saying 'it stinks' so even at this stage he could see flaws in the justice system, but didnt bother him as much as it does in season 5. I really cant think of any negatives in this episode, its perfect in everyway.So to just remind you all 10/10 lol. I think this is probably my top episode of all time.

• Administrators

castillos first appearance in OCB shows that this lieutenant is a less compromising one than lou was. i love that scene when he whistles to attract everyones attention ... and he gets it! only after a few minutes it's clear: crockett and tubbs will get into trouble with their unorthodox manner of investigation ... it's very plausible that castillo doesn't stand behind crockett right from the beginning. i guess as head of the departement castillo wants to get an idea of every OCB member by himself - a definite sign of castillos upright character. but when the lieutenant protects crockett of "sleeze ball" schroeders attacks there's no doubt that justice is the top item in castillos life - maybe even more important to him than friendship. i also like the story how tubbs and crockett TOGETHER manage to fool de marco ... and dennis farina is one of my favourite bad guys.i'd rate 10!

• Like 1

I can only give this episode a 7. For me it has too much of a 'loan shark' aspect to it. The drama and action sequences were not very compelling for me either. I'd deem it a viewable ep at most.

• Like 1

Ella.a..........I almost missed your underlined phrases! You're back to your great picture emphasis on the discussion. I clicked on them & I love the pics! :happy:Thanks for this gift. :gift:

i can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason i never get tired of this ep. i go days in a row watching it sometimes. a 10 all the way for me. i'd love to have seen larry and zito's reaction to learning the man they snubbed at the door was their knew boss.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My rating and comments on One-Eye Jack as originally postedFirst off I rate this episode a 10. It's one of my favorite episodes, and every body had something to do in it. Even if it was off camera. I love the first time we hear Crockett use the clear my desk of all my other cases line. Love the beach, but my real big enjoyment was every one showed support for Sonny. Tubbs went under cover, Switek got the line on the game Tubbs played in. Gina of course comforted Sonny and kept him company, even with rubbing his back a little in the office. Trudy gave her condolences when Barbara Caro died, and Larry provided the pen, and he and Stan did the first interrogation of De Marco. Even Castillo after reading Sonny's file came to his support by calling Stroh on badmoutning one of his detectives, and calling him an idiot and ordering him out of OCB. I also liked how Sonny knew to get Tubbs away from Castillo at the underwater recovery scene when Tubbs got into Castillo's face. The music in this was Ace also and I love the use of the Scarab and the St Vitus Dance in this episode, and I love the Elvis the Aligator part. Sonny shows his badge, and explains that Elvis is County Vice auxilary corps when asked by the game people that this animal works for the police department. LOL :D

Oh like I've said before my ratings and talking about the episodes are probably different before. Yes, I too love that fight with the big hench man.....both Tubbs and Crockett on him and they can't get him down..lol..the fall down the stairs and finally getting him. Castillo made a big entrance when the squad just kept going. I love the line that Tubbs tells Crockett about Castillo since Sonny was out of the room.....And this is our first meeting with Lombard, can't help it he is my favorite bad guy..lol......I thought that Sonny was going to kill Shroader (sp) but he just stood there listening. Rico trying to stick up for Sonny and only being there a short time. But I was glad when Castillo read Sonny's file and decided later on that there would be no harrassment of Sonny and that he was a good cop and IA were wrong.....but of course Castillo said it in his own language that means business. And everyone behind Sonny was great. Again I love Gina with Sonny and how they were together. How Rico won and came waking them up. This is also where Barbara is found dead and they go to the scene. Rico says something and Castillo I understood ad-libbed a line and threw PMT off and DJ pulled him away saving the scene...lol.....What was the best scene was in the end. I never knew Lester could drive a boat. And he goes faster so Sonny can jump on the boat to try and save Barbara's husband from shooting DeMarco. Off the episode for a moment, what ever happened to Lester? He was on the show here and there and then he wasn't on it anymore....guess Stan and Larry got better and took his place????Well, again I say a 10 , most of season one to me was a 10. Sue

• 2 weeks later...

One Eyed JackOne of my favorites! Castillo is introduced, and Sonny and Rico are not to happy about him. Sonny raising his eyebrow and sarcasticaly saying, "Charming..." after the first encounter, said it pretty well. That scene when Castillo glares at Rico and says: "Never get in my face like that again, Detective." is one of the best quotes of the entire series. I read somewhere that EJ ad-libbed that line and the look of concern on DJ's face as he led a protesting Rico away, was also added on as a "spur of the moment". It was great how Castillo sized up the two detectives, coming to Sonny's defense when he realized a good cop was being railroaded. Rico's scheme to trap DeMarco was interesting. I could actually see that happening. Barbara Carroll's husband had a right to be angry with Sonny. He should have protected her, knowing what DeMarco was capable of. 'Nuff said. I give this one a 10.

Edited by mjcmmv

• 3 weeks later...

How do I start? Well, this is the first episode with Castillo, and he starts great right off the bat by having trouble finding his office, he surely completes the team with his by the books way. Second of all, Dennis Farina (Snatch, Law&Order) is an excellent actor, but maybe he's just his talents are not used right or enough, which is a downside. The whole Barbara Carroll thing was important but kinda dragged down the first thirty minutes, the opening was great though! I like the use of "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton, another childhood favorite. The club scene is excellent. I'll give it an 8.5 out of 10. Then again it might be that I was spoiled by Calderone's Demise excellence.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This episode is middle of the road for me. The best part was the introduction of Castillo. I love the scene where he tells Tubbs not to get in his face. Right there we learn that this is not a man to be messed with. I can see why Barbara Carroll had a gambling problem she was depressed over the fact that she was married to such a loser. I give this episode a 6.

• 5 months later...

I love the action sequence at the beginning of the episode where Crockett and Tubbs take on the big Heavy. During the fight sequences, you could tell that it was Stuntman playing Tubbs, but DJ's stunt double (Bobby Foxworth?) was Don's exact double. Notice how much it really does look like DJ falling down those stairs.I like how Switek and Zito are rude and dismissive to Castillo when he first arrives at OCB. Notice how the guy who is helping Castillo carry his box into the office looks and moves just like some computer generated character from "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City".The two female cops who were trying to restrain Elvis, one of them played the woman that Stone was questioned by at the airport in "Stone's War", and the woman who Crockett was requesting information from in "Little Prince". The other actress played the woman who was giving Tubbs information about Rainey and Lockhart's bank accounts in "Whatever works". One thing that didn't add up. In "Lombard", Tubbs tells Lombard that he doesn't gamble. Yet in this episode, not only was he gambling (ok so it was part of his cover), but he was actually very good at it as well, winning $2700. Was Tubbs lying about never gambling? or was this beginner's luck?Some might say that Gina was being romantic by turning up at Crockett's place to cook him a surprise meal. Others might consider that a woman with whom you're having a casual relationship with, breaking into your home without telling you, and waiting for you at your home with a meal prepared might be bordering on Bunny boiling. However Crockett didn's seem to mind.When Tubbs put out that APB on Barbara Carrow, did he actually have his radio turned on? Could anyone actually hear him?Tubbs confirmed Schroeder's statment that Tubbs had only been down in Miami for a month. Clearly he'd already packed a lot into that month!I love the Pointer Sisters song "Jump", and thought the scenes at the club were lively and entertaining.The "hey man who's side are you on?" confrontation between Tubbs and Castillo was fascinating, particularly with Crockett in the middle trying to diffuse the situation. It was obviously meant to add some dangerous mystery to this new Leutenant. I also love the Jan Hammer music as Crockett starts the boat as he and Lester move in to intercept Jerry at Lombard's yacht.On the whole, although not one of my favourites, this is still a good episode, which shows some good comarardare between Crockett and Tubbs. I give it 7 out of 10.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This episode is pretty good, and it's Castillo's first. I gave it a 7. It's also the first one with Al Lombard--sort of a "likeable" nemisis of Crockett and Tubbs. There was nothing really captivating or "special" about it...but action was good, Castillo definitely helped sort of bring things together (but I did really like Lou Rodriquez too!), and I loved how Castillo finally helps vindicate Crockett's frame.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The ManThe MythThe LEGEND!Lt. Martin Castillo"Don't ever come up to my face like that again Detective."At that moment, I fell in love with that man. :happy:All that aside, this is a great episode and we're 1st introduced to Lombard. Definitley can't go wrong when Dennis Farina crashes the party.

• 9 months later...
I agree in opinion with the lexikon - One Eyed Jack is a very strong episode!:happy::happy::clap::clap:Not only two important charakters are introduced - Castillo and Lombard - but also it features a terrific acting of Donnie, EJO and Joe Dallesandro!!!:thumbsup::clap::clap:Furthermore the storyline is excellent because Sonny's in crossfire of internal affairs which is managed by nag Schroeder (In the German dubbing Rico calls him "fish face"):D:DThis circumstance fits very good to new boss Castillo because everybody expects that he immediately takes part of Sonny, but he doesn't at first.:hot:When I saw this episode for the first time, I thought "Oh my god, what a rude boss!", but already during the same episode I changed my first impression!:clap:Besides it is shown that the friendship between Sonny and Rico is getting more and more stronger which is very important, mainly because both loose many friends during the series.:thumbsup:Here, it's very great to see Rico how he does everything to help Sonny and traps slushy DeMarco!Lombard who has in One Eyed Jack a relatively small role, represents a gangster of the old school - cool!:happy:Concerning music, I love Jump by Pointer Sisters and Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton (whether it's a 70s song - but it fits perfectly in this love scene!). Such a terrific guitar-intro!!!:radio::radio:And the style in this episode is awesome, naturally: Sonny with pastell-pink T-Shirt and a wonderful white linen-jacket!Again 10 of 10 points!

• 3 months later...

One Eyed Jack6. One Eyed JackThis was a pretty good episode. Dennis Farina is one of my favorite recurring characters in the series. This episode is great because we get to see his more serious mob like attitude and persona while in “Lombard†we get to see more of his humanly everyday side. Anyway, the fight scene at the beginning was pretty good. We get to see early on that Sonny hates any kind of stake out. He wants to be in the action. Castillo appearing for the first time is a treat. Felt sorry for him when he first walked into OCB. Being polite and trying to find out where his office is and everyone is ignoring him. And Tubbs giving Crockett that motion was funny. Sonny didn’t quite give a good first impression to Castillo. The most memorable thing from this episode IMO was when Tubbs got right in Castillo’s face and asked whose side he was on and then Castillo with the most serious face saying don’t ever come up to me like this again. The first time I saw this, I thought that Castillo was going to have a long conflict working with his detectives. Not the case. Clapton’s “Wonderful Tonight†playing during the boat scene was superb. Can’t go wrong with that song. Tubbs flaunting his poker winnings entertaining as usual. It’s hard to imagine that 5 card draw was the main game back then since we are in this heavy Hold Em era. Back to Castillo. I think that Crockett didn’t get support early on was because Castillo wasn’t quite sure about him yet and he needed to prove himself. They didn’t like each other at first but it was good to see Castillo save Crockett from Schroeder. All in all, this was a good episode. It is really close to a 10 for me but, the previous couple episodes are preventing me from putting this episode with them. 9/10

• 6 months later...

I gave a 7.Somehow I think this episode is not so memorable. On the other hand, the introduction of Castillo is legendary. So is Sonny's situation of being falsely accused.I liked the lighter tone with the comic incidents. The intermezzo with Gina on the boat could have been skipped. I liked to see Tubbs's character so lively and sharp. Later on in the show he becomes more serious and a bit flat.The ending is a bit cheesy I think. It's obvious this is one of the early episodes in which the show still has to find its form.Great 80's scenes at the beach and in the disco. And still, though I know and see it's filmed in the past, it still doesn't feel outdated to me.Speaking of 80's clothing: I just love Sonny's pink shirt with the three (open) buttons and greyish jacket. Jummm!

• 1 year later...

I feel like this is where the show found it's groove. Everything has come together nicely, EJO is the new lieutenant, The caroline/Billy & Caldrone stories have been wrapped up so we can now move on to better things and enter the vice case of the week.This has all the hallmarks..pink neon lights, sunsets, Yachts, Tubbs dancing to Pointer sistersI think i spotted a goof. Barbara Carrow is killed but then she turns up at the club dancing with Tubbs. They must have switched the scene order. They do the same in No Exit where Tubbs disguises himself as the arms buyer and meets with Bruce willis at the airport. In the next scene he's at the OCB, and then he's back again with Willis testing out the equipment.Anyways I really liked the end with Crockett jumping from the front of the stinger onto the yacht, It looked cool.

I feel like this is where the show found it's groove. Everything has come together nicely' date=' EJO is the new lieutenant, The caroline/Billy & Caldrone stories have been wrapped up so we can now move on to better things and enter the vice case of the week.This has all the hallmarks..pink neon lights, sunsets, Yachts, Tubbs dancing to Pointer sistersI think i spotted a goof. Barbara Carrow is killed but then she turns up at the club dancing with Tubbs. They must have switched the scene order. They do the same in No Exit where Tubbs disguises himself as the arms buyer and meets with Bruce willis at the airport. In the next scene he's at the OCB, and then he's back again with Willis testing out the equipment.Anyways I really liked the end with Crockett jumping from the front of the stinger onto the yacht, It looked cool.[/quote']

I think Castillo coming on board helped "solidify" some things for the show...but I don't know if this is necessarily the one where it all came together or found its "groove". There were some good colors, lighting, some songs, etc...but I don't know, other than this being the introduction to Castillo as well as Lombard, there's really nothing that special about it. I think they were still trying to "iron" out some wrinkles...hence the scene goofs. I also didn't mind the Caroline / Billy aspects, as it made Crockett a little more "real", and relatable. They did periodically return to those characters too. But, this one's an okay episode though...still give it a 7.
Edited by ViceFanMan

• 1 year later...

One Eyed Jack: (1984)

"If Miami doesn't have it, nobody's thought of it yet!"

Ricardo Tubbs bustin' some grooves as he goes undercover to take on Vincent Lombard (Dennis Farina) and his sleazy sidekick (Joe Dallesandro) after the death of Sonny's old girlfriend who owed the notorius italian money big time.

This is a great episode and I really enjoyed watching Lt. Castillo debut appearence as he made quite an first impression.

Beside the tragic outcome it does have some lighter/funnier scenes, as when Crockett and Tubbs tries to wrestle one of Lombard's gorillas to the ground or the Elvis vs. Miami animal police scene.

9/10

• 2 weeks later...

Watch from about 15:00. EJO talks about how he got the part on a Wednesday evening, and was filming the next morning at 7 am:

I believe this was when they filmed the scene where they found Barbara Carrow at the end of NE 105th Street.

I like finding when things link together :)

• Like 1

Watch from about 15:00. EJO talks about how he got the part on a Wednesday evening, and was filming the next morning at 7 am:

I believe this was when they filmed the scene where they found Barbara Carrow at the end of NE 105th Street.

I like finding when things link together :)

Nice link thankyou  :D