Episode #6 "One-Eyed Jack"

Ferrariman

On 3/17/2021 at 11:56 AM, Titus said:

Lester makes an appearance. I liked Lester. Wish he had stuck around for longer than the first few episodes. (The house security disarming in "No Exit" was awesome.)

yeah, Lester will be back a few years later as drug dealer in 'Badge of dishonor'  :)

Apparently at the time she went into rehab she was already divorced from Steven Bauer.  From published accounts she did pursue him from the start--but she's 8 years younger than DJ, so I don't feel that lets him off the hook for that first marriage, no matter how immature he was (as he has said himself).  When they got back together for the second time, my impression was that there was much more equality in their relationship, but obviously they weren't able to last as a couple.

I think I'm pretty cynical but basically what I've said is just what both of them have publicly said in the past.   

1 hour ago, wolfie1996 said:

But at that time she was actually married to someone else, was she  not? Why did  she need support from DJ? Also  apparently she was originally the one who rang him up at 4am one morning and suggested they got married so they flew off to Vegas or somewhere the same day  and did... didn't last long though  did it? My take on this was that she ALWAYS wanted to be  with him and was determined (and still is) to stay in his life one way or another. Obviously he's married to someone else now so  she's obliged to play the family friend role (or drop out of it altogether which  she won't want to do.) By the time they divorced the second time, I'd say  she was pissed off with his drinking and messing about with teenage girls. Must have been bad for her to give up! I'm more cynical than you, I can see :)

Apparently at the time she went into rehab she was already divorced from Steven Bauer.  From published accounts she did pursue him from the start--but she's 8 years younger than DJ, so I don't feel that lets him off the hook for that first marriage, no matter how immature he was (as he has said himself).  When they got back together for the second time, my impression was that there was much more equality in their relationship, but obviously they weren't able to last as a couple.

I think I'm pretty cynical but basically what I've said is just what both of them have publicly said in the past.  

48 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Shall take your word for it :) Still think  she wouldn't say no if  she got the chance ;) 

Addn.On June 26, 1989, soon after Melanie Griffith and Steven Bauer’s divorce was official, she and Don remarried. On October 4, 1989, they welcomed their only child together, daughter Dakota Johnson. By March 1994, Don and Melanie separated and, although they reconciled later that year, they separated again and got divorced in 1996.

From wikipedia

Edited by wolfie1996
additional info

On 5/18/2010 at 12:35 AM, ViceFanMan said:

This episode is pretty good, and it's Castillo's first. I gave it a 7. It's also the first one with Al Lombard--sort of a "likeable" nemisis of Crockett and Tubbs. There was nothing really captivating or "special" about it...but action was good, Castillo definitely helped sort of bring things together (but I did really like Lou Rodriquez too!), and I loved how Castillo finally helps vindicate Crockett's frame.

Watched this one again tonight. This was my original review...I originally gave it a 7, but if I could re-rate it I think I’d go for an 8! I really enjoy this one: despite how Crockett tries to portray the cynical, “Clint Eastwood”, tough guy image...he still cares about people & helping them. He doesn’t let the bureaucratic garbage of IA & a possible stigma of a “dirty” cop stop him or get him down. He’s willing to do what it takes to vindicate Barbara Carol, even if it means he goes down in the process. 

I love the attraction & love between Sonny & Gina, and trying to be there for the other one. They always seemed genuine & heartfelt...even later on during & compared to the whole Caitlin saga. The songs used, especially “New Girl Now” by Honeymoon Suite, were awesome (I have that song downloaded and it’s one I run to on days I’m off work)! :radio: 

The introduction of Lt. Martin Castillo was superb...Edward James Olmos was perfect in this role, and you’re immediately captivated, but yet even somewhat afraid by him! :clap: At first you don’t know whether or not you’re going to like him, but he soon establishes himself as fair, honest, and objective...but don’t screw with him. ;) His more calm and even ‘deadpan’ to get the point across was sometimes a cool counterpart to & an even more effective approach to conflict than Crockett’s hotheadedness. 

Al Lombard was an enjoyable and interesting nemesis to Crockett & Tubbs...unlike Orlando Calderone, Lombard was actually like-able...and even calm, fair & objective when he needed to be...of course we don’t see the ‘loveable-Lombard’ till later...we notice glimpses of the humorous gangster he is. Dennis Farina was superb in this...no one could’ve played & immortalized that part like he did! 

On a more goofy note... actor Dan Hedaya will always be the goofy, moronic, but love-able photographer in the 1986 TV movie Smoky Mountain Christmas, starring Dolly Parton and Lee Majors, to me...LOL! :) I know I saw him in this first, but I remember him more in SMC...so seeing him play bad guys or in serious roles is always interesting to me. 

I know there are more famous ones from Season 1...but the plot, tragedy, acting, action, fashion, music, etc...were awesome and I really like this one! :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched this again, this will always be a 10 for me.

For the first time it struck me that this feels just like the pilot, has the same kind of vibe.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

One thing I didn't like in the episode was watching animals getting ready to fight, didn't like seeing it in "Junk Love" either. Its ugly. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

One thing I didn't like in the episode was watching animals getting ready to fight, didn't like seeing it in "Junk Love" either. Its ugly. 

Couldn't agree more and I can't think why they included this distasteful stuff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wolfie1996 said:

Couldn't agree more and I can't think why they included this distasteful stuff.

MV tried to show all of the garbage that was going on down there at the time. The animal stuff was terrible (though still not as bad as the kid stuff in “Baby Blues”), but for the sake of showing “all of the Vices”, it all belongs on the show. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

MV tried to show all of the garbage that was going on down there at the time. The animal stuff was terrible (though still not as bad as the kid stuff in “Baby Blues”), but for the sake of showing “all of the Vices”, it all belongs on the show. 

You can go too far in the pursuit of "reality" though, Dadrian. Some things are gratuitous.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I agree but I would have rather not seen it though. I was saying that to my brother and a few friends last night while watching, that maybe its a good thing, highlighting the bad stuff.

Better implied instead of seeing it full on. The dogs and birds looked in destress. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I agree but I would have rather not seen it though. I was saying that to my brother and a few friends last night while watching, that maybe its a good thing, highlighting the bad stuff.

Better implied instead of seeing it full on. The dogs and birds looked in destress. 

Implied doesn't always work, however. And shows that try it are often accused of diminishing the impact of whatever they're trying to show.

• Like 2

Just now, Robbie C. said:

Implied doesn't always work, however. And shows that try it are often accused of diminishing the impact of whatever they're trying to show.

That's true.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wolfie1996 said:

You can go too far in the pursuit of "reality" though 

Yes, they did, as with racial stereotypes in vintage cartoons. I just look at all that as a reminder of how far we’ve come as a people that are now more conscious of our insensitivities. Total censoring could lead to recurrence. 

Just now, Dadrian said:

Yes, they did, as with racial stereotypes in vintage cartoons. I just look at all that as a reminder of how far we’ve come as a people that are now more conscious of our insensitivities. Total censoring could lead to recurrence. 

Or it will simply shift to different targets. How many rural Southern guys with shotguns (or ARs) and pickups or Russian gangsters do you see on TV these days? Stereotypes are always convenient shorthand, and it takes a skilled writing and production team to move past those and give us believable characters who just happen to be from one origin or another. Sadly, we don't see many of those teams (The Shield, Justified, and Longmire had, in my view, such teams...Blue Bloods is also fairly good on the whole).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

29 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I agree, that sometimes you can show too much, or there are some things that could be just implied rather than actually or fully shown. However, in reality MV is not really one of those. It was still the 80s, and there were some things or certain aspects that you could only show or say so much. 

Not that much blood & guts, so-to-speak, was allowed on television at the time. They can only show a little bit. Certain taboo subjects were not allowed, or you could only imply them, and although MV did push the proverbial envelope on some of that, there was the one episode (“Too Much Too Late”) that was ultimately banned from being aired on NBC.

Foul language was also not allowed much on TV at the time, and even MV could only say things like scum, dirtbag, maggot, or chump, when referring to a bad guy. A couple d-bombs or h-bombs was about all they could get away with.

However, MV was trying to show reality and be as “real” as it possibly could at the time. It was not considered a family or “kiddie” show. I don’t like the animal fighting, or the terrible/tragic things in “Baby Blues”, but sadly those things were going on (probably still are), and MV was trying to show the bad side & that the cops were trying to help. 

Nowadays, pretty much anything and everything is allowed on TV. I’ll be honest, and say I miss the days of 90s TV & older!

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

So you're saying that showing these things will help a non-recurrence?  How? Plenty dog fighting and other animal cruelties  still go on. And racial stereotypes in vintage cartoons might be evidence of insensitivity but that's not as bad as deliberate cruelty, surely?

50 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Total censoring could lead to recurrence. 

@wolfie1996 maybe, but probably not. 

Probably not the best vehicle for “awareness”, but still portrayed as “wrong” when Crockett makes his witty “run all these sports fans in to the city pound” comment. :rauchen:

50 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

The dog fighting and cock fighting was an incidental thing though. It wasn't conveying a message that this is wrong, particularly. We already knew the people there were scummy types.

1 minute ago, wolfie1996 said:

So you're saying that showing these things will help a non-recurrence?  How? Plenty dog fighting and other animal cruelties  still go on. And racial stereotypes in vintage cartoons might be evidence of insensitivity but that's not as bad as deliberate cruelty, surely?

If nothing else they make people who might not otherwise know about it aware of its existence. Removing it doesn't make it go away, either. And stuff on TV is (usually) closely-monitored. Simulation as opposed to straight documentary footage. It's also hard to avoid given the cultural and social links that can occur between dog/rooster fighting and some groups.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

@wolfie1996 maybe, but probably not. 

Probably not the best vehicle for “awareness”, but still portrayed as “wrong” when Crockett makes his witty “run all these sports fans in to the city pound” comment. :rauchen:

True. At least he disapproves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbie C. said:

It's also hard to avoid given the cultural and social links that can occur between dog/rooster fighting and some groups.

Exactly. Cock fights were(/are?) a respected event to many in the Caribbean (which is terrible). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbie C. said:

If nothing else they make people who might not otherwise know about it aware of its existence. Removing it doesn't make it go away, either. And stuff on TV is (usually) closely-monitored. Simulation as opposed to straight documentary footage. It's also hard to avoid given the cultural and social links that can occur between dog/rooster fighting and some groups.

Doubt if it would/would have appear(ed) here anyway. Maybe we haven't got the same "cultural groups", which is something to be thankful for.

2 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Exactly. Cock fights were(/are?) a respected event to many in the Caribbean (which is terrible). 

It certainly says a lot about them.

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2017 at 4:59 AM, Dadrian said:

I just noticed something tonight for the first time. I believe Tubbs' stunt double from the fight with Ruszac (the stair fall scene) reemerges at OCB when Castillo makes his first appearance. 

Some of you screen cap guys can help me verify this. We first get a clear shot of the double's face when he tackles the muscle guy at the restaurant. 

Maybe I'm late on this one. 

Anyone?

I couldn't help but notice that either a few times. Did they even try to cover up the stuntmen? It's much more noticeable on the Blu Ray though. :)