2009 Toronto International Film Festival

Vicechic84

Well folks, that time of the year is fast approaching when Toronto, Canada is thrown into the spotlight once again. All is a buzz with a flurry of activity and flashing cameras from non-other than Tinseltown itself. Yes, the big (and not so big) names of Hollywood (including directors)and all across the globe will descend on our fair city to screen what will eventually be next years Oscar worthy pictures. The 'TIFF' (a.k.a Toronto International Film Festival) event takes place every September (runs from the 10th through the 19th) and this year being no acception. This means that movie-afficionado's in the city can be the first to screen a vast array of pictures (335 films from 64 countries to be exact) before they are released worldwide. Also this event is definitely a stargazers paradise so it is wise to keep an autograph book handy (a trusty pen or two for back-up that works), a cell phone with built in camera feature (for those that don't have a camera handy) or a digital camera with an 8x's or more zoom feature. And please whatever you do make sure the batteries don't die or need recharging! Yikes!:eek: Imagine yourself standing in line at the local Starbuck's and Penelope Cruz walks in? What about George Clooney sitting casually having lunch at an outdoor cafe? The possibilities are endless for those lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the stars outside of their red-carpet zones. The list is too long to mention so please see the link provided below for details. Oh and don't forget to notice all those MV alumni making their rounds on the list as well!So if you'll be visiting the Toronto area (or live in and around the surrounding areas) and want to take in some great new films (and perhaps see a star or two, or three) now's your chance! Enjoy and happy screening!'STAR-STUDDED LIST'http://thestar.com/entertainment/tiff/article/683267'MOVIE LIST'http://www.tiffreviews.com/film-list/

I think these film events around the world (and especially Toronto) are so good for the lesser known films, many of which are sooooooooooooo good!I always pay attention to the big contendors each year and try to at least rent them on video when they make it to the stores eventually.I personally enjoy many of the independant films much more that the Hollywood garbage that is rolling off the assembly line in the last few years.It's so hard to get tickets sometimes for the big features, but maybe someday I'll have a chance to go to it.

True Stinger, the independent films lack the big hype which could lead to great performances relatively unknown to the audience. I, myself, like the home-grown talent films like the Sweet Hearafter with directors like Adam Egoyan, Norman Jewison, and Paul Gross (Passendale) from Due South fame to name but a handful. The big names are obviously the big draws (what prompts many fans to stand for hours just to catch a glimpse of a star) but with such an extensive list of them it'll be hard not to trip over any of them for two weeks. ;) In the end, it should be interesting to see which films will take a golden statue home at the Oscars next year.

Some of the unknown films I have seen this year are from the Cannes etc were "Tell No One" a French Film which I HIGHLY recommend!!! WOW! (I wont' ruin it for you by telling you anything about it. I actually cried during Jeff Buckly's song "Lilac Wine" The story is VERY moving.I also liked "The Pool" an Indian Film-fabulous story line and the ending will blow you away (never expected it)I really liked "Sunshine Cleaning" starring Amy Adams but in this low budget film she was remarkable! Story line was good too!There are plenty more, but I digress, as I would fill up the whole page. The above were my fav's of this year.

Cool Stinger! Great reviews!:thumbsup: I encourage you to share your thoughts. They're a refreshing take away from the stuffy movie critics. So keep it up!:clap: Amazing isn't it how stories can move us in such a profound way? Sometime independent low budget films (sans the hype of big name stars) have a real knack for doing that. The way you've described (in brief) the handful of pictures that you've seen is wonderful. 'Lilac Wine' must be a powerful film if in turn it moved you the way you say it did. The same goes for 'Tell No One' and 'The Pool'. You also mentioned 'Sunshine Cleaning' with Amy Adams. She's is a lovely actress that slips into various roles so easily it's incredible. The way I see it, storylines have two categories. They can either move you along where you actually become the character on screen and follow their journey or they fall flat/confusing and the audience quickly loses interest. I'm sure they'll be plenty of hits and misses this year as well. On a completely other note, the latest news coming out of the TIFF is that Liam Neeson (and former MV alumni) has decided not to attend as previously thought because he's still grieving his wife (Natasha Richardson's) death in March. He was to promote Atom Egoyan's film 'Chloe' also starring Julianne Moore.

Just to clarify...Lilac Wine is a Jeff Buckley song used in the movie "Tell No One" I have all his albums and his music is very meaningful to me to begin with. This French film used this music in a way that was very appropriate. If you were not aware Jeff Buckley died back in the mid nineties at a very young age, but was an absolutely amazing talent! He will be missed...I think you thought I said Lilac Wine was a movie???? not so.

Thanx Stinger! I'm sorry but I misread your above post. Yes, intially I did think that the song was a movie title. Anyway, I did a little research on Jeff Buckley (see the link below). Since I had never heard of him or his music until now I wanted to learn more about him. Sadly, as you mentioned his career was short-lived because of a tragic drowning accident. I'm sure he would have had a long and fruitful music career had the Big Guy upstairs not had other plans. I'm big on lyrics because they always find a way fitting into ones life, love and loss experiences. The lyrics to this song are no exception. And so that being said I downloaded 'Lilac Wine' for myself. Below I've posted the lyrics for everyones enjoyment. You've opened my eyes to some new music that I would never have known about until now which proves the theory of learning something new everyday. Thanx!'Lilac Wine'I lost myself on a cool damp nightI Gave myself in that misty lightWas hypnotized by a strange delightUnder a lilac treeI made wine from the lilac treePut my heart in its recipeIt makes me see what I want to seeand be what I want to beWhen I think more than I want to thinkI do things I never should doI drink much more than I ought to drinkBecause it brings me back you...Lilac wine is sweet and heady, like my loveLilac wine, I feel unsteady, like my loveListen to me... I cannot see clearlyIsn't that she coming to me nearly here? Lilac wine is sweet and heady, where's my love?Lilac wine, I feel unsteady, where's my love? Listen to me, why is everything so hazy?Isn't that she, or am I just going crazy, dear? Lilac Wine, I feel unready for my love,feel unready for my love. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Buckley

You have to actually hear him sing it.His voice is so unique!!!Another one of my favourite songs by coincidence is "Satisfied Mind" He sang this acoustically with only his guitar in hand and I have the original recording of this. (It is quite rare) They played that song at Jeffs funeral.

I think his best album was probably "GRACE". He did a rendition of Leonard Cohens "Hallelujah" That would make the hair stand up on the back of your neck!(by the way the youtube version sucks big time!)My Stinger 260 is actually called "SATISFIED MIND"! I have it written on the transom of the boat.

post-35-13892962978032_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892962978229_thumb.jpg

Sweettttt Stinger!:cool: Thanx again for the cool pix and link. It's nice to know the reasons behind ones personal choice of names. I've always wondered about that when I'm walking down at Harbourfront near the marina and I see all those interesting names on the boats. Pretty neat! Btw. Cool song too! You can hear the real power in his voice in this. It is can be described as unique indeed. Loved the guitar too!:thumbsup:On a completely other note, I found this article pertaining to the panelists picks of the TIFF. Below is their list followed by the link to the complete article below. Enjoy! CHASING THE BUZZ '09: THE LISTHere is our tally of the 56 most anticipated movies of the festival, selected by our panelists. More votes equals more buzz.Four votes• My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done• Up in the AirThree votes• Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans• The Road• Leslie, My Name is Evil• AntichristTwo votes • Whip It• Life During Wartime• Bright Star• Hadewijch• A Serious ManOne vote• Hugh Hefner: Playboy, Activist and Rebel• Beautiful Kate• Mao's Last Dancer• Road, Movie• Women Without Men• The Time That Remains• Excited• Symbol• Face• The Invention of Lying• Chloe• To Die Like a Man • White Material• BAND• Enter the Void• The Hole• The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers • Moloch Tropical• The Trotsky• Valhalla Rising• Broken Embraces• Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire• The Disappearance of Alice Creed• Police, Adjective• Let Each One Go Where They May • The Art of the Steal• Trash Humpers • A Town Called Panic • Turtle: The Incredible Journey • Last Ride • Baarìa • How to Fold a Flag • Collapse • Bran Nue Dae • The Vintner's Luck• The Informant! • Agora• Leaves of Grass • Capitalism: A Love Story• Ondine• Mother and Child • The Men Who Stare at Goats • Mr. Nobody • Same Same but Different • The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus ***The last film on this list I believe to be the one that 'Heath Ledger' was in the process of filming when his life was suddenly cut short***The Complete Article:http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/tiff/article/690732

This might just bring the popularity of the 'Roller Derby' to new heights! I found an article below for another event Barrymore will be hosting after the TIFF begins. It's a nice plug for the film!'Barrymore to host free roller skating in support of upcoming movie'FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. — Drew Barrymore wants all movie and/or roller skating fans to join her in suburban Detroit next week for a get-together in support of her new movie. Barrymore is making her directorial debut with next month's "Whip It," which filmed scenes in Michigan and is centred around the world of roller derby. The 34-year-old actress and filmmaker will walk the red carpet and host the skating event Sept. 11 at Bonaventure Skating Center in Farmington Hills. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own skates, or they can rent them for a fee. Barrymore also produced and appears in "Whip It," which stars Ellen Page as a small-town Texas teenager who becomes a roller derby star.