Episode 22 - Lombard

airtommy

I misread Jeremy's post, thinking he said this ep would give us a nice view of Gina's apartment. But as I was skimming it, I suddenly realized that the attempted assassination of Lombard is at Dania Pier (final scene in Red Tape)! So, I decided to go through the whole episode.1. Lombard's yacht - already determined to be Watson Island. The first shot of his yacht is nicely framed with the city skyline in the background.2. Lombard kisses a woman good-bye and drives off - I doubt we'll ever guess this location.3. Charlie & Labrizzi meet at an ice cream shop. It looks like Lincoln Rd. or South Beach, but that's a wild guess.4. Lombard gets shot - My eureka moment was when the guy sits on the bench (about 11:42). I recognized the bridge in the background from Red Tape. You can match the arc shape of the pool in the episode to the satellite pic. You can see the ocean in the background a few times in this scene.Eingefügtes Bild5. Dog track - [edit] Matt pointed out that it's actually Hollywood Dog Track at 831 N Federal Hwy Hallandale Beach, FL 33009.Eingefügtes Bild6. Biscayne General Hospital - DanJ thinks it's fictional or changed names. There appears to be a narrow canal near the building.7. Lombard goes for a drive where he ditches Crockett & Tubbs, but they find him and save him - I think RB said the ending is on Rickenbacker as it was being constructed, but I've got the rest figured out. Details to follow ...8. Lombard's safe house (Florida Villas) - The sign says 13645. An anecdote in the book "The Making of Miami Vice" says that they filmed a scene of Lombard at 163rd & Biscayne. That doesn't match with 13645 Biscayne Blvd (which is at 136th). I think DanJ wrote about this location long ago, but I can't find any of that.9. Lombard meets his son on a track - Jeremy said this is Flamingo Park in Miami Beach. Gina's apartment is circled. The arrow indicates Lombard & son walking on the track. Why didn't they just send Gina to pick up Lombard? [:p] Eingefügtes Bild10. Courthouse scene

Posted by MATT5:

all seems pretty accurate - I can confirm the following car scene ends up on the construction of the Rickenbacker...with Brickell in the background - I am also sure that in the car follow scene you see C& T drive over the old Brickell Bridge then on the i95 with the James L Knight Centre background.For the race track - I ve noticed in most eps of MV they used Hollywood Race Track - I think Flagler was not used in Lombard but Hollywood. Was Flagler used in any episodes?? I also saw Hollywood used in The Fix.Where is Flamingo Park??

Where is Flamingo Park??

1. I stated Miami Beach.2. My satellite pic shows streets.3. I showed where it is in relation to Gina's apt.4. Google search for "flamingo park" "miami beach" shows it right away.

Posted by DanJ:

Sadly, Florida Villas went away to clear space for a - ugh - strip shopping center. If they had wanted to, they could have converted the villa buildings into small retail shops - maybe adding onto the buildings as necessary for required storage space - and the main office into either another larger retail shop or a refreshment center of some kind.But nooooo... they had to tear it down to make way for Starbucks & Friends.

Posted by MATT5:

thats sad DanJ - but typical of modern Miami tearing buildings down all over the place - where was Florida Villas incidentally???

Posted by DanJ:

Exactly where the number on the main office building seen in this episode indicated - 13645 Biscayne Boulevard. To Google Earth it, try the address or try "NE 136 Street, Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, Florida"

Posted by MATT5:

DanJ thanks again - Found it on Google . Now ref the location comments above - I am pretty sure the racecourse used in Lombard is the same as "The Fix" - Hollywood Racecourse. Apart from a shot of Calder Racecourse in the end credits which appeared once or twice. I cant recall seeing Flagler at all in the series.? Maybe someone can confirm??

Posted by SOFLAJEREMY:

look closer you can see the name hollywood race track in the bg a couple of times and if memory serves me it is over the starter gate as well

Posted by SOFLAJEREMY:

florida villas was sadly replace by keystone plaza. I guess we did need another undistinguishable strip mall. the building in the background of the first pic is clearly seen in the bg of the ep. here you are looking from the north to the south almost due south thriu the keystone plaza parking lot accross what used to be florida villas entrance. The building in the back ground confirms the address to be just north of 135th street not 163rd as the book qoutes. The exact address of the florida villas is now assigned to armadi closetsEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildThese photos were taken about 2 weeks ago.

That is just one of many errors in that book.Cool pic, I just looked at the scene for the big building in the background, it's around the 32:10 mark.I'll change my sat pic to the correct dog track soon.

Posted by DanJ:

Many errors, eh? I guess I will hafta think long and hard then on payin' the $175 or so that they're askin' for it on ebay...

OK, now for #7 (when Lombard goes for a drive, ditches Crockett & Tubbs, but then they save his life). Here is an overview:Eingefügtes BildI. His yacht at Watson IslandII. Brickell Ave. bridgeIII. Entrance tollbooth of Rickenbacker CausewayIV. I-95 SouthV. I-95 SouthVI. Rickenbacker Causeway

After leaving from Watcon Island, we next see Lombard driving across the Brickell Ave. bridge. You can see the Dupont Plaza Hotel (red X), and then they go by Rivergate Plaza (blue X). Eingefügtes BildNext, they go through an ess-curve (left, then right) and they go under a sign that looks like "5". The road has 4 lanes in their direction. I'm thinking this is at Biscayne & NE 5th, but the curve doesn't match up. Perhaps Biscayne was changed when they built Bayside. Anyway, someone needs to help me figure out this location.Next they turn left from Brickell onto the Rickenbacker Causeway and go through the tollbooth. Does anyone know the name of the building/business with the neon sign that is in the background (marked by red X)? Eingefügtes Bild

Now, they are suddenly on I-95 South in the middle of Miami. You can see a triple highway sign that reads "I-395 Miami Beach", "I-95 South", and "836 Airport". I think it's the one marked with the red X, but it might be the blue X.Eingefügtes BildNext, we see Lombard (red arrow) a little farther down I-95 South. To the left, you can see a sign (green circle) for the exit ramp to Miami Ave. and Biscayne Blvd. Then, he does the u-turn. C&T miss his turn and continue going straight south. Lombard turns onto an ON-ramp (Jeremy, do not try to re-create this scene [;)]) which eventually heads east into downtown Miami. As he turns, you can see a highway sign (green circle) for I-95 North traffic which reads "I-95 North", "NW 2nd St", and "Biscayne Blvd.".Eingefügtes Bild Finally, we know the final shootout is somewhere at the Rickenbacker Causeway construction site, because RB told us this, and we can see Brickell high-rises in the background.

So, my questions:1. Matt, is the James Knight Center visible? If so, what exact time on the DVD?2. Ess-curve at Biscayne/5th (or whereever)?3. Building on corner of Brickell/Rickenbacker

Posted by MATT5:

airtommy - I can answer point one above yes when Lombards car turns around on the I95 the James L Knight is visible( bottom part of building) . I will have to check the time on the dvd. The location where Lombards car turns around is almost exactly the same location where C & T pull over Alonzo on I95 in new movie again with the James L Knight Centre visible in bg . Incidentally Ive just seen some of your pics from Miami in the general section - I think on page 2 you have a white house ( two pics of ) but no title is that house featured in MV also the Coral Gables Church is that featured at all? Matt also this what ep and location ?? thanks I havent seen these posted before hence the q's. ThanksEingefügtes Bild

I was driving on Harbor Dr. on Key Biscayne looking for the Nixon house, and I saw that one and thought it looked familiar. The owner was outside talking with workers and he let me go to the back and photograph the back of his house and the Miami skyline. His beach in back is really nice - the water is shallow and clear. But I don't think the house has any MV significance.My Coral Gables pics (Biltmore Hotel, church, Venetian Pool) were not MV related, just sight-seeing.

Next' date=' they go through an ess-curve (left, then right) and they go under a sign that looks like "5". The road has 4 lanes in their direction. I'm thinking this is at Biscayne & NE 5th, but the curve doesn't match up. Perhaps Biscayne was changed when they built Bayside. Anyway, someone needs to help me figure out this location. [/quote'] Guess I'll help myself ...I just noticed that it is indeed Biscayne Blvd northbound at NE 5th St. Confirmation? What is looming in the darkness on the left side of the screen around 21:54 (after they cross NE 5th St.)? Freedom Tower! Also, the RR track crossing is visible on the right side of the screen.VE link

Posted by SOFLAJEREMY:

2. Lombard kisses a woman good-bye and drives off - I doubt we'll ever guess this location

Eingefügtes Bild HAH!!!

Posted by SOFLAJEREMY:

tail onto rickenbacker.. you see this structure as they turn north across roadway and park on u turn rd that is seen in freefall and walk aloneEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild