Crockett's backup gun after the Detonics

kokopelli

Yeah, someday I'd like to get a stainless Detonics Combat Master, but it sounds like price-wise the 645 or 4506 (645-TR) is going to be the Crockett firearm to start my collection with. I have not seen any modern Detonics that resemble Crockett's BUG on their website, so I think a vintage piece is going to be the way to go. I'll just have to figure out what ankle holster to get with a Detonics and for the S&W 6906.

Yeah' date=' someday I'd like to get a stainless Detonics Combat Master, but it sounds like price-wise the 645 or 4506 (645-TR) is going to be the Crockett firearm to start my collection with. I have not seen any modern Detonics that resemble Crockett's BUG on their website, so I think a vintage piece is going to be the way to go. I'll just have to figure out what ankle holster to get with a Detonics and for the S&W 6906.[/quote']actually when I was looking for the 645 I found one for about roughly the same price I got mine at, 750 bucks. Mind you it was fairly beatup and dinged up but it was a stainless steel one with proper wood grips.and the 645 which was NIB with dried up green grease on it was 600and chances are if its beatup it may need a spring change, but you could restore it like the yankee marshal did with his

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=oClQLBzB5e8

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru92tTsnfVo

that's just like crocketts by the way, although he had the engraving done on the side in cursive for the detonics thing.not sure about the spring weight, this is where the 1911 forums would come in, knowing 3 inch guns its probably 20 to 24 pounds, if its closer to 4 its probably going to be 15.a PPK is 20 at about 3 inches, a PP is 15 at about 3.4 or 3.8, amazing how much difference the barrel length makes in the required spring power needed for it to function perfecly.mind you the detonics has a 3 spring system so it might be better to consult the owners of that on the detonics section of the 1911 forums about where to find replacements, or you could probably use the springs of a glock gen 4 compact that now use that same system if it fits.

I was watching "Asian Cut" last night along with several other season 5 eps. "Asian Cut" gives you the best view of the holster for the BUG of the eps I watched. It is definitely a black synthetic band with no extension that wraps around above the calf, it just wraps around the ankle only. I couldn't see the holster very good to see if that is leather, plastic or just nylon.

I was watching "Asian Cut" last night along with several other season 5 eps. "Asian Cut" gives you the best view of the holster for the BUG of the eps I watched. It is definitely a black synthetic band with no extension that wraps around above the calf' date=' it just wraps around the ankle only. I couldn't see the holster very good to see if that is leather, plastic or just nylon.[/quote']its possibile that its the same holster for the detonics actually, I dont know really.maybe this will helphttp://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=226728

Thanks, that was helpful. Sounds like most people are having luck with holsters for the Colt Officers 1911. I haven't watched to see what Crockett is using in season 2 and 3 with the Detonics, so I'm not sure if it was different from the 1st season dark brown leather ankle holster with the above the calf strap on it. Getting the correct holster is probably going to be impossible, and the best bet is probably something that looks close as nobody will probably know the difference.

Thanks' date=' that was helpful. Sounds like most people are having luck with holsters for the Colt Officers 1911. I haven't watched to see what Crockett is using in season 2 and 3 with the Detonics, so I'm not sure if it was different from the 1st season dark brown leather ankle holster with the above the calf strap on it. Getting the correct holster is probably going to be impossible, and the best bet is probably something that looks close as nobody will probably know the difference.[/quote']and chances are that one will be the one that's accurate knowing how that goes.

Anyone notice whether the finish on the 6906 was polished on the sides of the slide like the 4506 (465-TR), or is it a factory finish?

His 6906 seems to have the same deal done to it as the 4506Eingefügtes Bildand actually I did come across one like it done up like thathttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8078&stc=1&d=1371070719always had a soft spot for that little gun, very compact, light and packing alot of firepower. but its also an alloy frame so you do have to pay attention to the springs more than usual, plus the length of the barrelbut with regular spring changes those guns which were believed to last only about 10 to 15 K can last upwards of 40K rounds.the tried and true model 39 shows through again it seems.

post-592-13892965674666_thumb.jpg

Backup Post DetonicsI think S&W rigged MV up with a 6906 for his backup...at least thats what it looks like....and DJ's had Novak Fixed...which was pretty standard on those by the 4-digit era model number generations...complete with the re-curved trigger guards.S/W blew the launch of the chopped version of the 39s, when the LadySmith model came out....the 3913 (and variants) were nice single stack compacts with a tip of the hat to the original ASPs.....

Guest MetroVice

6906 and 3913I owned both the S&W 6906 and 3913 back in the 1980's. They were pretty much the same pistol except one had a double-stack magazine while the other was single-stack, thus, a little thinner but both had "bobbed" hammers and were an excellent choice especially for concealed carry. I never carried mine on the leg but found they concealed very well in an appropriate hip holster.It looks like Crockett used a 6906 as a backup weapon in an episode or two but in my opinion this was a poor choice not because of the gun itself but rather because the caliber was different from his main handgun. Your backup or secondary weapon should preferably be the same caliber as your primary weapon so ammunition can always be shared. Otherwise, you've gotta carry separate ammo for BOTH, which just isn't practical but I understand we're talking about a TV show here. It would have been better for Crockett to have carried something like the 4516, which is equivalent to the 6906 pictured in an earlier post except it's chambered in .45 acp. I always carried a backup handgun but per policy it HAD to be the same caliber as your primary weapon. End of story.I owned and used a lot of firearms in my professional career in Miami. However, I had my own FFL at the time which afforded me the ability to pay far less for my collection than it would have otherwise. It makes me sick to see how crazy firearm prices have went over the years but I'm just glad to have had my FFL back in a time when everything was so inexpensive. I'm very fortunate to have had the firearms I did and it was truly a lot of fun because I thoroughly enjoyed competitive shooting back then. There's no way in hell I'd pay the prices they want for this stuff today though so it's a good thing I have what I do :thumbsup:It's always interesting to talk about what firearms a television or movie character uses. Although it's usually based on Hollywood "hype", sometimes you do find some logic as to why a character uses a particular weapon. I always loved 10mm myself. Very effective, powerful cartridge and I bought the S&W 1066 when it was first introduced and loved it. It went nicely with my 4506 and even share the same frame.

Guest MetroVice

Shiny handgunsSome people would polish the sides of their S&W stainless pistols to a high shine and if you polished them enough they looked as if they were nickel plated. One of the guys I worked with always carried a 645 which he was constantly hand polishing. It eventually looked like the whole gun had been professionally polished but it was a bit too reflective for my tastes. Third generation S&W pistols didn't come with polished sides the way 2nd gen pistols did. S&W elected to bead blast the entire surface of 3rd gen pistols making it MUCH more difficult and labor intensive to get it to shine the way prior generation pistols did. Some prefer a matt finish while others, usually those who like to present and display their guns, prefer a high shine.Colt had two types of stainless pistols. Standard stainless and what they called 'Ultra-Brite' stainless. Ultra-brite was just that and looked like a mirror. Talk about a beautiful finish :happy:

I think S&W rigged MV up with a 6906 for his backup...at least thats what it looks like....and DJ's had Novak Fixed...which was pretty standard on those by the 4-digit era model number generations...complete with the re-curved trigger guards.S/W blew the launch of the chopped version of the 39s' date=' when the LadySmith model came out....the 3913 (and variants) were nice single stack compacts with a tip of the hat to the original ASPs.....[/quote']Ah I was trying to figure out what happened to the model 39 in the third gen era, guess that explains it. as while the 59 (Supposedly made for Navy use in the 70's, and also used in Starsky and Hutch, by Paul) is traceable to the 459 and the 659 to the 5906, the 39 seemed to fall off the end of the earth once the 1990's hit.and yeah it kinda screws up the marketing to call the model 39 a ladies gun, hell I always kind of snickered at seeing Will Smith Carry a gun called that in MIB back when that came out years ago.http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Men_In_Blackalthough supposedly his didnt have it reading this, it really does look like a modern verison of the rare ASP model too actuallyEingefügtes BildFor reference what the ASP looks like for those not in the know

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c_0I4BjOWE

it was a customized by a company called ASP, who make ASP battons and keychain lights along with other LEO gear, as a matter of fact I carry one of the keychain lights with me at all times actually.nice little piece.hmmm I may have to look into finding one then with the 3913 (wonder what the 13 stands for) might make a nice replacement for the old walther. part of the reason why I've been looking into the 9mm's they made in addition to crockett's hand cannon. and Yeah I know what you mean about the prices Metro, the Colt Python is out of god damn sight and it apparently used to cost something like 900 dollars used in 2000 before the guns went out of production.now there asking as much money as the date it went out of production! with the 645 It was atleast worth it and some of the old smith's from the 1980's can be had for reasonable prices but everything colt save for the 1911 (go figure) has shot out of sight asking price wise. even the Colt Diamondback, from 400 dollars in the 1990's to 2k just because it looks like a python and its blued?
and its just a .22/38? that is just insane!Yeah with the 10mm I havent had the opportunity to shoot the 10mm on a smith frame, only a glock 20 and it was surprisingly recoil free. Although the occasional oddballs show up at the range I get a chance shoot, but usually just not in 10mm.and I'm usually the one bringing one of the said oddballs.Hmmm so colt had two stainless finishes then, standard which was brushed and one that was a high polish. Makes sense and I wonder if they did that with the bluing.although I gotta wonder is this 645' your friends gun Metro now that you brought that up?http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=347341583

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm looks like from 0:58 here that Crockett switched over to a Velcro strap around the ankle holster for S2, namely in definitely miami

not sure how sweat protecting that would be, but it looks like it would balance the weight of the gun out nicely.

I.....

Plus...the 4516 accepts the same magazines as the 4506...even better for redundancy...Not sure if the gun wrangler for MV has ever chimed in here, but it is amazing how many Galco rigs were sold after MV...let alone the unstructured jackets..(GUILTY)

Plus...the 4516 accepts the same magazines as the 4506...even better for redundancy...Not sure if the gun wrangler for MV has ever chimed in here' date=' but it is amazing how many Galco rigs were sold after MV...let alone the unstructured jackets..(GUILTY)[/quote']Yeah, I'm of the opinion that Crockett would have selected the 4516 as his BUG replacement for the CM, because of compatibility of the ammo and mags with the 4506 (645-TR). And because he was used to carrying around a heavier BUG on his ankle already.But for TV production, the 6906 was chosen instead for feed reliability over a short barreled .45 blank prop and light weight alloy frame for long production days with it strapped around the ankle. the 6906 was a better prop, but the 4516 was a better BUG.

Yeah' date=' I'm of the opinion that Crockett would have selected the 4516 as his BUG replacement for the CM, because of compatibility of the ammo and mags with the 4506 (645-TR). And because he was used to carrying around a heavier BUG on his ankle already.But for TV production, the 6906 was chosen instead for feed reliability over a short barreled .45 blank prop and light weight alloy frame for long production days with it strapped around the ankle. the 6906 was a better prop, but the 4516 was a better BUG.[/quote']I think Jama said he had one of those and it had some feeding problems with it because of the spring which you really have to watch on 3 inch barreled guns like that from a .32 to a .45. so the 4586 which is the 4 inch version of it is the one I would have paired him up with or the 4556.all these numbers yeash lol

BTW, I came across this screen cap from Crockett's "therapy session" and noticed he had the Detonics CM and its ankle holster on the table. It looks black, but I'm not sure if it has the over the calf extension on it or that's just the flap?[ATTACH=CONFIG]8136[/ATTACH]

post-11618-13892965697078_thumb.jpg

8136[/ATTACH]

looks like its an adjustable deal with it, like you wrap it until it matches your leg and like one of the flaps is a velcro lock of some sort.

• 1 month later...

I didn't announce this handgun because I was bidding on it. I lost, so I thought I'd share it with everyone. It's an early model 6906 with the squared off trigger guard and the slide polished just like Crockett's 5th season BUG. It even came with a spare mag and a Hogue grip in addition to the factory grip. If I were a little more flush I might have bid higher...oh well.http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=360896109

Also the matting on the top of the slide has been left alone, making it look quite professional and you should save the photos for reference in a gun photo folder like I do for this.and maybe even a text file to save the descriptions.

Also the matting on the top of the slide has been left alone' date=' making it look quite professional and you should save the photos for reference in a gun photo folder like I do for this.and maybe even a text file to save the descriptions.[/quote']Yeah, good idea. This was a pretty nice 6906, already Viced. Which I had more cash, but business was rough this summer.