Crockett's backup gun after the Detonics

kokopelli

Hmmmm....there were two early 6906s on Gunbroker.com ending about the same time. The one I bid on, and one with the original box, grips and two mags. One went for $465 and the other for $490. And they had a lot of bids, 21 and the other 22 bids. I was also watching a 4506 that was listed for $500 and a 645 that was listed for $650, and neither got a single bid. The 4506 was a little grimy, with a Hogue grip and a 645 mag; so I wasn't impressed and didn't have $500+ anyway. The early 645 was in good condition, but I guess it was a little overpriced. It looks like a good 6906 probably goes for pretty close what the .45s go for.edit: A holster worn service S&W 4506 just went on Gunbroker.com for $450 with 1 bid.

While watching "Trust Fund Pirates" and "Sons and Lovers" for scenes with the Galco shoulder holster, I noticed both of these episodes also contain decent looks at the ankle holster for the Detonics. There is an over the calf strap on the holster in both of these episodes, and the holster appears to be a simple molded part and not stretch material like the modern Galco COP holster. I couldn't really tell if there was a flap that covered the top or a snap strap. But it did seem to be the same holster seen here on the table:[ATTACH=CONFIG]8297[/ATTACH]

post-11618-13892965798945_thumb.jpg

I might have an idea of what it could be, for the old model 39 my father had purchased a belt holster for the steel frame about.... well 40 years ago by now, hard to believe its been 40 years since the 1970's thing is though anything could be fitted through the belt loop and it could be mounted on your leg with a simple beltand it also features a strap over the gun as described and as I remember it being used in S3, when Crockett delt with Reb "AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!, Slap Bulkhead" Brown at the endand if your wondering where I got the nicknames from, look no further lol

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzLuQJY_rK4

in Viking Bikers from hell, also known as Viking Bikers on motorcycles 3 sizes too small for them.the manufactures mark on it says this, Brauer Bros.MFG St Louis, model number of holster H3S, for the model 39 and chances are it was probably made for the detonics as it was around in the late 1970's as well.mind you I think the variant above might be a different one, but the one I'm talking about was also seen in the Hitlist part 2, although in this case its black not brown like it was in the reb brown episodeEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildhttp://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=361667941on second look it seems to be velcro of some sort, as I distinctly noted the velcro ripping noise when he was getting the gun out, hmm I didnt figure there would be that much variation about it, outside of the change to the 9mm with the 6506

post-592-1389296579932_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965799618_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeaaaaaahhhhh we're back. I've been waiting a few weeks to share these screen caps:[ATTACH=CONFIG]8315[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8314[/ATTACH]These are the two shots of the ankle holster we see in "Prodigal Son". The first where he realizes the Bren Ten in missing, and the second one where he ducks down in the club to pull out the Detonics. You can see the above the calf strap in both scenes briefly, and the left side of the ankle strap is visible.

post-11618-13892965831699_thumb.jpg

post-11618-13892965832335_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah looks like a straight velcro strap, also as a sidenote it seems like you can find an ebel for under about 2G if its not made out of gold like his.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ebel-1911-cal-137-blue-dial-/271288416854?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3f2a0cba56so it's not impossible to save up for one, about on par with a NIB colt Series 80 National match really

• 11 months later...

I was watching "Love at First Sight" the other night, and I realized that he kills Iman on the Saint Vitus Dance with his BUG and not the S&W 645.  He lunges at the cabinet where the 645 is in the Galco holster, but can't reach it with her stabbing at him, so on the floor he goes for his ankle holster.  This is a 4th season episode, and the only one I've seen the BUG in.  I thought "Viking Bikers From Hell" in 3rd season was the last time we saw a BUG until 5th season, but apparently there is at least one episode in 4th season with a BUG.

I could not get a good enough look at it to see if it was still the Detonics Combatmaster Mark VI, or if it was maybe a S&W.  Given that we see the BUG so little in 3rd and 4th season, I would assume they were still using a .45 blank BUG.  And they avoided it in the script due to the unreliability of short barrel .45 blank adapted props.  If they had a 9mm for 4th season, they probably would have used it more.  So it's more likely that the delivery of an early preproduction example of the S&W 6906 for 5th season was still their first 9mm BUG for Crockett.

its hard to tell from the shot as they blur vision the attack scene, from what I could see it looked like the trigger guard was slightly squared and the slide polished, so it might have been the SW's 9mm's first scene.

its hard to tell from the shot as they blur vision the attack scene, from what I could see it looked like the trigger guard was slightly squared and the slide polished, so it might have been the SW's 9mm's first scene.

I wondered that too.  The information I've seen is that the 6906 was released in 1989, but "Love at First Sight" was filmed in November of 1987.  "Bad Timing" started filming in October of 1988 and was the first 5th season appearance of the 6906.  Would it have been possible for the production to get a 6906 over a year before its production?  Could it have been a 669 instead of the Detonics in "Love at First Sight" instead?  If they did have a 9mm BUG for 4th season, you'd think they would have used it more often, like they did in 5th season.

Edited by Lifeguard

I think chances are they probably had a 669 lying around, as I remember seeing it during the Willy Nelson Episode in S3 and in Indian wars.

and all that changed on that gun was the grips, as the 659 was a pretty advanced and unusual carry gun, bobed hammer and all that.

I think chances are they probably had a 669 lying around, as I remember seeing it during the Willy Nelson Episode in S3 and in Indian wars.

and all that changed on that gun was the grips, as the 659 was a pretty advanced and unusual carry gun, bobed hammer and all that.

So the information for the 1989 introduction of the 6906 is correct?

I really dont know, I would wadger that it was late 87 early 88, given that eastwoods 4506 was a full on production gun by the time they got around to filming the rookie, which would have been late 89. as it came out in december of 1990 and finished filming in may of that year.

and ironically on my trip to the gunsmith, there was a 645 and a 669 and 6906 in the same case last week, and depending on how it goes next week as I have to pick up another gun after getting the colt gold cup back, I may have my hands on one of them very soon.

as I've always had a soft spot for the 669.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 1 month later...

I did notice BUG being holstered at the locker in "Mirror Image", and it was definitely the Detonics Combatmaster Mark VI in that scene going in the Galco Ankle Glove.  This is the last we see of it.

• 1 year later...

With my birthday coming up later this month I decided to treat myself to one of the few pistols on my bucket list, a S&W 6906 first generation with the hook stye trigger guard and plain blade rear sight like Sonny had towards the end of the series. I already have a 3913 for concealment so I have put off getting a 6906, but my birthday and a mind one in the factory box showed up on GunBroker so I bid on it and got it at $405 plus shipping for $435. I still will have to pay my Dealer a fee for transfer, but after I get a Luger P-08 I will have everything old I have been wanting. You either understand such things or you don't. Anyway hope to have it later this month. Now to look for an ankle rig. I bet Sonny today would carry a Sig 938 in a Desantis Ankle Holster that allows cocked and locked.:cool:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2016 at 9:58 AM, Gary1911A1 said:

With my birthday coming up later this month I decided to treat myself to one of the few pistols on my bucket list, a S&W 6906 first generation with the hook stye trigger guard and plain blade rear sight like Sonny had towards the end of the series. I already have a 3913 for concealment so I have put off getting a 6906, but my birthday and a mind one in the factory box showed up on GunBroker so I bid on it and got it at $405 plus shipping for $435. I still will have to pay my Dealer a fee for transfer, but after I get a Luger P-08 I will have everything old I have been wanting. You either understand such things or you don't. Anyway hope to have it later this month. Now to look for an ankle rig. I bet Sonny today would carry a Sig 938 in a Desantis Ankle Holster that allows cocked and locked.

there's also an advantage to going for the luger by the way, the Lugers were hand made and could take the machine gun ammo they had floating around back then during the war, the Walther P38's were not, hence why alot of them are breaking now.

and I've never tried a P08 Really either.

Edited by Kavinsky

In reality, working a back-up handgun from an ankle holster isn't the easiest thing to do. The more protrusions on a gun like that, like beaver tails, external hammers, safeties, etc., the more likely these things are going to snag on the draw.  Thin, slick and smooth works much better   Like the Glock 42/43

The other issue with a semi-auto as a close-quarter back-up are the issues of the gun not being able to cycle properly when being used jammed up against someone in an actual fight.  You might get one shot before it short-cycles and jams.  Or the slide ends up being pushed out of battery and it doesn't fire at all.  

And then there is the weight issue.   Guns on the ankle get heavy and can get hot after awhile.  Make sure you run a quality holster. 

For a back-up to my Glock, I run a stainless S&W 649 bodyguard revolver in a Ken Null ankle rig.  I have a Glock 43 that I will run AIWB with a spare extended 8-round mag if I'm dressed very casually/lightly, like in shorts and a tank top.  But as a secondary/back-up the Glock 43 still has cycling issues if used "up close and very personal."  The shrouded-hammer revolver is very easy to draw, will function much more reliably in tight quarters, and the ability to cock the hammer into single action allows me to make solid hits out to 50 yards pretty consistently.  I carry a speed-strip in a pocket so I could reload the 649 if necessary.  (In addition to the spare 15-round mag for my primary.) 

The Ken Null ankle rig is the best I have used.   I have tried DeSsntis, Galco, and the Alessi ankle rigs.  The sheepskin linings are hot and get really sweaty.   The felt backing on the Null and Alessi are much better.

Anyway, what would Crockett run today?  To stay in character yet be modern for the 21st century,  I think for his primary he would run a Smith and Wesson M&P in .45 with a WML, and a Shield in 9mm on his ankle.  

Love this forum/site...

• Like 1

agree and almost always carry my Ruger LCR in a Pocket Holster also with a Bianchi Speed Strip.I

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

Edited by Gary1911A1

• 1 month later...

Nice pics Sir.  I occasionally run my 649 in the same pocket holster.  I run Speer 135gr +P short-barrel in the 649 as well.  (Practice is done with standard pressure though.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I realized I hadn't posted my 6906-early (slide polished) with Galco AG426 Ankle Glove Holster with early strap (no logo) on it:

Photo%20on%2011-8-16%20at%206.40%20PM%20

Photo%20on%2011-8-16%20at%206.43%20PM_zp

I also have Federal 9mm Luger 115grn FMJ practice rounds, and use the Federal HST 150grn JHP for when I want to use it as my carry BUG.  

5th Season 6906 sightings were "Bad Timing", "Asian Cut", "Freefall", and "Too Much Too Late".

Edited by Lifeguard

• 1 year later...

Update:  without socks, the sheepskin ankle rigs are much better than the felt.  DJ and the series armorers probably knew this.

Over the summer of ‘17, I swapped my primary to a G19 with an RMR and an Inforce APLc.  Carry it strong-side just in front of the hip in a JM Custom Kydex OWB with some self-modified belt loops.  Love it.  Suarez trigger and a few other upgrades.  Have made consistent hits on a Paladin-shaped steel out to 150 yards.  Farthest was 206 yards!

To make it easier, I looked at my G43 vs. my S&W J-frame.  Years of carrying the little S&W revolver and my ankle bone was starting to really hurt.  Even when not carrying a BUG.  The 43 is flatter, (no cylinder edge banging on my ankle bone) plus I had a Shield mini red dot milled in and mounted to a second slide, since that makes it much easier with the north of 40 eyesight...  (The sights on the Smith were getting really tough to see.)  I can make face shots with the 43/red dot at 25 yards and center-mass hits past 50 all day.

So I picked up a DeSantis “Die-Hard”, a Galco “Ankle Glove”, and the cheap all-elastic Galco “Cop” ankle rig.  All have a sheepskin backing.  Did not try the calf strap on any of them.  (I’m a holster geek, always chasing some improvement in comfort, concealability, etc.) 

Most comfortable and best concealing of the 43 (with and without the Shield red dot) was the elastic Galco Cop.   Really comfy, carried tight and flat.  Only issued was the crappy, non-reinforced Velcro thumb-break.  

So I dug through my big box of ole’ cop stuff, and found a janky Uncle Mike’s nylon pancake holster.  (No idea where it came from.  Never carried it.  See above about being a holster geek.)  Anyway, I pulled the stiff plastic thumb-break off of it and fitted it to the Galco “Cop”   Pretty perfect.  Much better retention, much quicker release.  Re-holstering is a two-handed job, but if down to my BUG to solve my problem I’m not worried about having to put it away quickly.  Also nice to have both carry guns run the same ammo.  

So over the summer when I decided to carry a BUG, it was the 43 in the modified Galco Cop ankle rig with Bills Khakis poplin pants or lightweight jeans.  No socks was not an issue.  Very comfy with the sheepskin, even all day in 80+ degree heat.  And no need at all for the calf strap.  

The 43 requires a wider leg opening than the Smith and Wesson, but comfort and compatibility are great.   For the role of a BUG, the small revolver is still the better tactical choice, but the 43 allows carry of a real caliber and gives me the ability to run it from 1-foot to 100 feet.  (Yes, I’m thinking about a Ruger LCR with upgraded sights.  Thinking hard.)

AND carrying my BUG in a Galco with sheepskin, and both guns being semi-auto’s is so much more “Vice-y.”  That’s always just a wee’ bit better.

Anyway, probably more gun-geek than wanted/needed, but after a few “Black Jacks” it just sorta flows... 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Any time I ankle carry as a BUG, I always wear "boot cut" jeans to help ease in drawing the firearm. Not a big fan of ankle carry though. Unless sitting, this is an awkward position to draw from. 

YMMV

• 5 years later...
On 6/8/2016 at 7:58 AM, Gary1911A1 said:

With my birthday coming up later this month I decided to treat myself to one of the few pistols on my bucket list, a S&W 6906 first generation with the hook stye trigger guard and plain blade rear sight like Sonny had towards the end of the series. I already have a 3913 for concealment so I have put off getting a 6906, but my birthday and a mind one in the factory box showed up on GunBroker so I bid on it and got it at $405 plus shipping for $435. I still will have to pay my Dealer a fee for transfer, but after I get a Luger P-08 I will have everything old I have been wanting. You either understand such things or you don't. Anyway hope to have it later this month. Now to look for an ankle rig. I bet Sonny today would carry a Sig 938 in a Desantis Ankle Holster that allows cocked and locked.:cool:

Sorry for the necro-post, but did you ever get your hands on a P-08? I actually bought one a couple of months back, and it's an amazing pistol. Has some feed issues from time to time due to modern ammo being less powerful than what it was designed for, but it's accurate as hell and a real pleasure to shoot. I don't think I've ever handled a pistol that was as well-fitted, either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Sorry for the necro-post, but did you ever get your hands on a P-08? I actually bought one a couple of months back, and it's an amazing pistol. Has some feed issues from time to time due to modern ammo being less powerful than what it was designed for, but it's accurate as hell and a real pleasure to shoot. I don't think I've ever handled a pistol that was as well-fitted, either.

No, I have not gotten a Luger yet. Recent medical cost doesn't allow me to treat myself. I doubt I would shoot it much with it's grip angle.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gary1911A1 said:

No, I have not gotten a Luger yet. Recent medical cost doesn't allow me to treat myself. I doubt I would shoot it much with it's grip angle.

Sorry to hear about the medical. It's actually quite comfortable to shoot (and this is coming from someone who hates shooting Glocks because of the angle), especially with one hand. I've been really impressed, especially since mine's over 100 years old (made in 1920, although some of the parts might actually be older).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was always kind of surprised they never had any Safari Arms pistols on Vice. With their looks and all it seems like a natural fit.

ETA: Gonna be bringing one of these home fairly soon. I believe it's one of the original Arizona pistols...back when it was still M-S Safari Arms. Not quite a longslide Hardballer, but still a nice chunk of '80s gun goodness. And it's also fitted with a Double Ace just to make things more interesting.

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 2

Totally unrelated point, but do you know anything about Safari Arms serial numbers, @Gary1911A1? Recently picked up one that's actual Arizona manufacture as opposed to the later Washington/Olympic Arms stuff. Feel free to PM if you like. Now that I've handled one, I'm really surprised they never showed up on Vice.