Where Were You When The Pilot Aired?

Vicechic84

To commemorate this special event we'd like to know where were you when the pilot aired? Were you in high school, college, elementary school? How about kindergarden or nursery school? Were you born the year the show aired? Were you getting married, having kids, or were you just playing the field? Did you sneek in to watch this contraversial show of its time when your parents, grandparents or older siblings weren't watching? We want to know what influence the show had on your life (at the time and now)? And what would you say to someone who has yet to experience the magic that MV has graced upon our television screens for the last 25 years? The show has cast a spell on its faithful fans and has been continuing to reel in new generations of MV enthusiasts worldwide with its famous line 'Freeze Miami Vice'! The last 25 years is a real accomplishment and what better way to show our appreciation and enthusiasm for this great show then how we first got hooked on it. Later Pal!:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I was in High School when the show first aired.My friend Jason and I were very much into exotic sports cars. He told me one day that there was a show that featured them. When Friday came around, I watched. The episode was glades. I liked the show. I watched it every week, and taped every episode on beta tape. I watched the shows over and over again.I tried to figure out how to dress vice style, but the best I could do for a while was dressing like SWITEK and ZITO. I started cutting out all images and mentions about Miami Vice in High School, and created the now legendary huge Miami Vice Scrapbook.I started wearing sunglasses. As time went on, I became more obsessed, and started looking for the clothes and glasses worn on the show.I started to wear pastel colors as they became available.I did a MIAMI VICE skit in drama class. Got an "A"!Tried to track down JAN HAMMER recordings to no avail.I wore henelys that I bought at MILLER'S OUTPOST. The very same type DJ wore. I bought every color they made (about 8 or 9). I started listening to pop songs on the radio.YEARS later, I have amassed quite the collection (an oddity by collector's standards today). I am the Uber MIAMI VICE COLLECTOR, and live it EVERY SINGLE DAY.MIAMI VICE ....is my life.

Think my parents had probably got married summer 84' date=' so I didn't come about until 89, around about the finale of Vice lol![/quote']Translation: Your parents experienced 'Love At First Sight', took a 'Leap of Faith' with each other, and took the plunge pledging 'To Have And To Hold' each other, and with a little 'Miami Squeeze' out came the 'Miracle Man'! Now, that's what I call that MV's series grande finale!;)
  • Like 1

'Love At First Sight'" data-date=" took a [I">

'Leap of Faith' with each other, and took the plunge pledging 'To Have And To Hold' each other, and with a little 'Miami Squeeze' out came the 'Miracle Man'! Now, that's what I call that MV's series grande finale!;)

:D:clap:

I was about 6 and most probably practicing my first letters with my new fountain pen at school Oh, yes I clearly remember now. I started out with the letters M and V for sure :happy:

• Like 1

i was on Active Duty in the Army and had just been transferred to the University of Miami to teach ROTC. My favorite assignment, got to return home and to my almamater to teach my favorite subjects: military history, land navigation, marksmanship etc etc. I was there from 84 to 88, they wouldn't let me stay any longer. Don't remember if I saw the pilot but I soon got hooked on the show. Everyone at UM watched Vice and talked about it. I remember passing by the the film crew at work on two different locations. Never got to watch the filming but remember meeting a guy who was an extra/stuntman. Those were busy years.

• Like 1

I had been a GBI Agent (Georgia Bureau of Investigation) for 6 years, and had just spent the last 3 years working undercover on a number of drug smuggling cases. We had a rare Friday night when we weren't working, and someone told me there was going to be a show on NBC about narcs. My wife and I watched it together, and I almost fell out of my seat when Crockett pulled the triple beam scales out! I looked at my wife and said "I can't believe they are getting this right!" The hangover, the dealer who sounded like he was a space cadet, it all seemed very real. Before Jimmy Smits was killed I was already hooked. Until that time, cop shows had been ultra deadpan and real (Dragnet, and ADAM 12), or so far off base that you had to laugh (name about any other show on TV). And they were talking about cocaine!!! You have to remember that in those days TV audiences only heard about Heroin (you dipped you finger in and tasted it--Oh my God--people thought we actually did that!)It still reminds me of my mis-spent youth when I watch the DVDs.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I was 29 in 1984. Commercials for this groundbreaking new show called "Miami Vice" were all over the TV. I remember "In The Air Tonight" being played during the commercials for what promised to be the coolest show on TV! I was front and center for the premiere! I honestly can't think of a time, since that day, when Vice hasn't influenced my life in some way, shape or form. It's been a constant companion over the last 25 years and the passion hasn't faded yet! As long as "Miami Vice" has a fan following I'll be there!

The pilot for me was Milk Run. I remember I was sitting on the couch with my dad who was already a big fan. That ep got me hooked to the show and every day at 6.40pm me and my dad would watch it together and never missed an ep.He's not a fan anymore I think, because in June/July this year there were some reruns and when I told him he said "it's such an old TV series! Instead, do you know when there's 24 season 7?" :eek:As for the REAL pilot, when I watched the DVD I simply felt great when I heard all the famous quotes... in English!Starting from "5000 street corners in Greater Miami..." I used to rewind and hear them again and again.It was AWESOME!!!

Each week, I'd bring my component stereo tape player/recorder out of my room and carry it to the family room. I'd hook up the stereo jacks into the beta machine, plug in my headphones for sound, and record JAN HAMMER's music straight off the tape, and try to edit it somehow to make it sound like a complete song. He repeats notes quite often, so I'd just loop tracks until it sounded like something. I'd try to cut out all dialog if I could. It was absolutely not perfect, but at least I had SOME JAN HAMMER music to listen to, as his stuff back then was even harder to get than it is now.I'd then take all the equipment back to my room where I'd play it out of my speakers. I'd listen while reading VICE magazines or doing whatever.I was a really big fan.Bigger now.

Some of you already know that at first I didn't like MV at all; I only started watching it just to understand why all my best friends in high school were in love with Crockett and never talked about anything else. I was fed up of being left out in conversations and decided to give it a try.Sometimes I wonder if they're still fans, probably they don't even remember MV, while the skeptical girl who was always criticizing the show, the "black sheep" in a classroom of Crockett's worshippers...IS CELEBRATING THE ANNIVERSARY!!! :)

I tried to figure out how to dress vice style' date=' but the best I could do for a while was dressing like SWITEK and ZITO. [/quote']Somehow I find it hard to believe. ;)

Some of you already know that at first I didn't like MV at all; I only started watching it just to understand why all my best friends in high school were in love with Crockett and never talked about anything else. I was fed up of being left out in conversations and decided to give it a try.Sometimes I wonder if they're still fans' date=' probably they don't even remember MV, while the skeptical girl who was always criticizing the show, the "black sheep" in a classroom of Crockett's worshippers...IS CELEBRATING THE ANNIVERSARY!!! :)Somehow I find it hard to believe. ;)[/quote']It's true. I wore white pants or jeans, and wore a hawaiian shirt. Then I tried to make the Hawaiian shirt like a blazer, and wore it over a t-shirt or henley. I would not have felt comfortable in public at that age wearing a blazer.

Guest neworder
'Love At First Sight'" data-date=" took a [I">

'Leap of Faith' with each other, and took the plunge pledging 'To Have And To Hold' each other, and with a little 'Miami Squeeze' out came the 'Miracle Man'! Now, that's what I call that MV's series grande finale!;)

hahaha, Love It, although I don't have a t-shirt with a big M on it sad to say ... lol

I'd just started secondary school when the pilot aired on our screens around early 1985. I never saw it when it was first aired. I didn't get into Vice until I saw "Tale of the Goat" in May 86, which is why it's a special episode for me.

we took a september vacation to st. petersburg FL when i was 4. i very well could have been in florida when the pilot aired!although we never went to miami in my childhood, many florida vacations happened between 1984 and 1989 for me. the latter few always involved me pretending to be crockett :) as we had finally started watching vice in 1986.

I was twelve years old, and I remember thinking that, along with "Magnum, P.I.", I had another favorite show!Everything about the show fueled my enthusiasm--the scenery, the cars, the cool characters, Elvis, guns, drug deals, the clothes (scoured the mall for blazers, shoes, anything), and the music. The music and intro were so great; it always got me psyched up! On the flipside, I was always a little sad when the ending credits came up, with the music, and of course the Michael Mann 80s logo......then the universal sound and logo.

I was 29 in 1984. Commercials for this groundbreaking new show called "Miami Vice" were all over the TV. I remember "In The Air Tonight" being played during the commercials for what promised to be the coolest show on TV! I was front and center for the premiere! I honestly can't think of a time' date=' since that day, when Vice hasn't influenced my life in some way, shape or form. It's been a constant companion over the last 25 years and the passion hasn't faded yet! As long as "Miami Vice" has a fan following I'll be there![/quote']Ferrariman could not have said it better. You captured the same essence as I did too! I watched it from the very beginning as well as the re-runs in the following summer. I couldn't get enough of it and I also sort of hid the fact that my passion for this show was so intense as I knew my friends would bust my balls about it. I was 26 when it aired and was single, had lots of toys to play with and tried to emulate the lifestyle ever since then to the best of my ability. I know it's only a TV show but it did influence my taste in music, clothes and expensive toys.

I was at boarding school because my parents worked at a ship so I couldnot stay with them. It was always a fight which program to watch on TV. One TV for 28 children.:rolleyes:But from the verry beginning MV was the program to watch no arguments that TV night anymore. :clap: