Where Were You When The Pilot Aired?

Vicechic84

Let's see, in 1984, I was 26 years old and living in NYC. I remember that summer the promos for it were airing on NBC. I watched the premiere on my (then) 17" 1971 Sony Color trinitron! When they went to stereo broadcasts in the second season, I watched on that same TV and listened to it through my stereo system, sounded great!

• Like 1

Well, when the episode aired, on September 16, 1984, about 1 month, 8 days, and 10 years later, at around 3 PM, I came out of my mom's womb. :p Hence, I wasn't born yet.

• 3 months later...

I was just starting my last year in college at Michigan State. I remember the promo went something like, "you now have a reason to stay home on friday night!" And I did.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I was ten and I was in elementary school. Don Johson was my first platonic love. Untill I love his naughty smille.I bought the dvds,also bought the music cds. I follow Don Johson since I knew in the serie.I loved ferrary testarrosa and motor boats.Every summer I see the complete seasons and remember the good times.:)

• 4 months later...

Working for NBC. Birmingham affiliate. After viewing, felt like I had just watched a feature film. The rest, you all know; History was made.

Guest MetroVice

I remember it wellI got married the year Vice aired (still married, too!) but didn't immediately watch the show. I was sometime in 1985 when I first saw it but like most, I was hooked right away. I was living in Fort Lauderdale and working in West Palm Beach as a bodyguard for Donald Trump and family so I was able to identify with having to wear light jackets in south FL to cover the shoulder harness we had to wear in the south FL heat. Only thing is we were smart enough to at least wear COTTON instead of the hotter polyester rayon clothing like many characters in Vice seemed to sport. Believe it or not many of us were already wearing some pastels by the time Miami Vice came out, which was merely a coincidence. Work kept me away from home a lot so I missed many of the episodes but my wife video-taped them for me and we would watch them when I had a few days off in between.Cotton clothing aside, it was still hot as hell having to cover our weapons all the time and we stood out like sore thumbs when the general public was wearing shorts. But unlike the show where a lot of people seemed to wear jackets in the south FL sun, we were asked by people every day why in HELL were we wearing a jacket and if we were "hot" wearing it. Must have heard that ten times a day from people not in the-know.Sometime in mid 86 I tried-out for a part in Vice as an extra. I hoped I would get this tiny part because I wasn't just pretending to be some gun carrying south FL wanna-be, I was the real-deal in the area but to my dismay they chose other people. Oh well, such as life . . .The 1980s was the best time of my life and I got to do a lot of things I would have never done otherwise. Saw a lot of things, went a lot of places and met loads of people you normally would never have contact with.Ahhh to be young and healthy . . . indeed life was good in south Florida :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

I was born 9 years later and 3 years after the "lost episode" aired.They should air re-runs on NBC so I can get the "Friday night its Miami Vice time" experience.Waking up before 9:00 a.m. and watching it on Centric is about as close as I can get:)

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators

I didn't exist. I was 10 years away from being born.I can only imagine how epic it would have been to see it for the first time on TV when it was new. They play re-runs on TV here and I saw a few random episodes of season 2, so then I decided to watch the whole series. Finished season 2 a few days ago and I'm gonna start on season 3 now.

Missed the pilot did not see till October 1987 in Portugal - saw half of the Season 1 episodes in 1985 .:D:shout::thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

Nearly a 4 year old post back lol. I was 9 and sat w/ my mom to see the very first airing of MV Brothers Keeper. I'm 41 now and after many years of being distracted by everything else, MV has found its way back in my life in a major way. Makes me think of her nearly every episode watched. RIP mom...57'-91'. If not for her, MV may not have the effect it has on me! The 80s were beautiful and I hadn't a care in the world.

Hmm. Where was I... Well not even born yet. :)

Don Johnson was what caught my attention at first and got me into watching the show. Of course back then, I didn't know, who he was, but there was something about DJ, that attracted me so much, that I had to watch it, though Crime show's generally wasn't the type of series, I Iiked. And so it lead to at one point, that I bought a DVD box set, (accidentally spotted in a mall,) which I normally wouldn't do for a series. Anyway.

And I'm really happy for having discovered Miami Vice. :happy:

Edited by summer84

I was probably at work!  Working 3-11 in a hospital I was on duty every other Friday.  Am sure I never watched the show until the start of Season 2; although I remember seeing Evan I think it was when that ep re-ran in S2.  Was hooked when I saw Prodigal Son and was then able to watch for a couple of months since I was on maternity leave.  Once I went back to work, can't remember exactly but we had a VCR and my husband would set it to record so I could watch when I got home at 11:30 or whatever. 

Not sure exactly when I saw most of S1 for the first time but I used to turn on a TV in an unoccupied room and watch episodes at work later when i was working the graveyard shift and it was on USA network... Of course I would get up and round on patients pretty often but am sure would have been in trouble if I was caught watching a TV show!

• Like 2

I was actually in my parents' livingroom at home, and watching the pilot movie together with my older brother. It aired here in Germany on December 6, 1986 (a Saturday), when I was 12 years old.

To tell you the truth, I don't remember if I thought it was a good movie or not. I just distinctly remember watching it. :)

That said, I became hooked pretty early on, and watched the following season one episodes pretty much from day one. I had a tired old 13-inch black and white TV in my bedroom, and more or less watched Miami Vice secretly, because it was on Tuesday nights at 9:45, which was of course way past my bedtime as a 12-year-old... :p The TV also had no remote control, so I often had to jump up from my bed and turn the volume down during action scenes, so nobody would notice :)

• 2 months later...

Trying to go to college.  Meanwhile. Nick Nolte and Jeff Bridges were considered for the role of Sonny Crockett, but since it was not lucrative for film stars to venture into television at the time, other candidates were considered. Mickey Rourke was also considered for the role, but he turned down the offer. Larry Wilcox, of CHiPs, was also a candidate for the role of Crockett, but the producers felt that going from one police officer role to another would not be a good fit.  Wonder how different it would have been.

Edited by damrod