COLLEGE FOOTBALL

COOPER&BURNETT

What's the deal??Marcell Dareus banned for 2 games Associated Press MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- Alabama defensive end Marcell Dareus has been declared ineligible for two games for accepting nearly $2,000 in improper benefits during two trips to Miami.An NCAA ruling Thursday also ordered Dareus, defensive MVP of the national championship game, to pay $1,787 dollars to a charity of his choice before regaining eligibility. The top-ranked Crimson Tide opens Saturday night against San Jose State and then hosts No. 19 Penn State. Alabama will already be without Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram (knee injury) for at least the opener.“ It is important to note that Marcell never intentionally violated any NCAA rules and did not knowingly receive any benefits from an agent. †-- Mike Ward, Alabama's associate athletic director for compliance Dareus was ruled ineligible for receiving preferential treatment and agent benefits, including airfare, lodging, meals and transportation during the Miami trips.Coach Nick Saban said on his radio show in Tuscaloosa that Alabama will appeal the NCAA's penalty and try to get the penalty cut to one game."It is important to note that Marcell never intentionally violated any NCAA rules and did not knowingly receive any benefits from an agent," Mike Ward, Alabama's associate athletic director for compliance, said in a statement. "Marcell lived up to the letter and spirit of the NCAA cooperative principle and the NCAA described him as 'one of the most truthful student-athletes we have ever interviewed.' "The NCAA cited "mitigating circumstances" in reducing the penalty from as many as four games.The NCAA has also been looking into possible agent-related violations at Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. At North Carolina, the probe initially focused on whether two players received improper benefits from agents but expanded into possible academic violations that could sideline numerous players for this weekend's opener against LSU.North Carolina suspended defensive tackle Marvin Austin on Wednesday for violating team rules.Tide coach Nick Saban has led a movement to find ways to punish shady agents, in talks including the NFL and NFL Players Assocation along with the NCAA."We respect the decision but we are at the same time disappointed in the suspension," Saban said in a statement. "We'll continue to support Marcell as we move forward. Hopefully Marcell and all involved have learned a valuable lesson from this and like I've said before, we will continue to work on establishing stronger legislation in terms of agent and financial advisor guidelines." Now, he's also working on filling the void left by Dareus. Sophomore Undra Billingsley, who saw some time at tight end last season, is listed as Dareus' backup, followed by redshirt freshman Darrington Sentimore.Sophomore Damion Square is the backup to Luther Davis on the other side and is the only one of the group that has played for the Tide on defense.Dareus, considered a potential first-round NFL draft pick, was a force in Alabama's defense last season despite starting only three games. He had 6½ sacks and made some of the biggest plays of the game against Texas with the national title at stake.He knocked quarterback Colt McCoy out of the game with a shoulder injury, and Dareus also intercepted a shovel pass late in the second quarter and returned it 29 yards for a touchdown.Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Guest myonlyvice

USC looked pretty good last night. Did you watch it? Kiffin is crazy with those 2-point conversions, eh? The situation with Dareus stinks. Mark Ingram is hurt, too. We should be fine tomorrow against San Jose State but next week we play Penn State and we may feel the loss of Dareus more. Ingram may or may not be back for that one.

USC looked pretty good last night. Did you watch it? Kiffin is crazy with those 2-point conversions' date=' eh? The situation with Dareus stinks. Mark Ingram is hurt, too. We should be fine tomorrow against San Jose State but next week we play Penn State and we may feel the loss of Dareus more. Ingram may or may not be back for that one.[/quote'] You won't believe this, but I watched three football games simultaneously! On one TV I was watching the Oakland Raider game, on a smaller TV I was watching the 49ER game, and on ESPN, I watched the USC game live on the computer! ALL at the very same time!! :D:D:clap:I'm serious.USC's passing game looked good, now that our reciever is back (he was out last year with a broken collar bone before the season started.), but our Defense is not as good as a couple of years ago when we had the number 1 defense in the nation. About 9 guys went into the pros, leaving a huge gap to fill.USC scored quickly whenever Hawaii scored, so scoring is not a problem. Our Quarterback looks great!. Kiff does like the two point conversions. :)Next week, I want to see OHIO STATE vs. MIAMI !!How about you?

Guest myonlyvice
You won't believe this' date=' but I watched three football games simultaneously! On one TV I was watching the Oakland Raider game, on a smaller TV I was watching the 49ER game, and on ESPN, I watched the USC game live on the computer! ALL at the very same time!! :D:D:clap:I'm serious.USC's passing game looked good, now that our reciever is back (he was out last year with a broken collar bone before the season started.), but our Defense is not as good as a couple of years ago when we had the number 1 defense in the nation. About 9 guys went into the pros, leaving a huge gap to fill.USC scored quickly whenever Hawaii scored, so scoring is not a problem. Our Quarterback looks great!. Kiff does like the two point conversions. :)Next week, I want to see OHIO STATE vs. MIAMI !!How about you?[/quote'] That one will be a great game but the one I'm primarily interested in is the Bama-Penn St. game. I hope I get to see both. I'm impressed with your multi-tasking abilities, by the way! :thumbsup:What do you predict in the Va Tech-Boise St. game? I say a solid defense wins the day every time. Go Hokies!

As a Dutch girl I do not know much about college football.But since you all are so excited about it. I would like to know something about it. Is there a website which explains the rules off the game?

That one will be a great game but the one I'm primarily interested in is the Bama-Penn St. game. I hope I get to see both. I'm impressed with your multi-tasking abilities' date=' by the way! :thumbsup:What do you predict in the Va Tech-Boise St. game? I say a solid defense wins the day every time. Go Hokies![/quote'] I agree that the Bama vs penn St. game should be good. I also agree that if the defense is tough enough, they will win.I too would like to see both games. (I hope it's on ESPN)

As a Dutch girl I do not know much about college football.But since you all are so excited about it. I would like to know something about it. Is there a website which explains the rules off the game?

Here ya go! It reads like it's complicated....but it's very simplistic.Gawd I love football!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_rules

Here ya go! It reads like it's complicated....but it's very simplistic.Gawd I love football!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_rules

I have read it and actually find something on the Dutch wikepedia by using words out off the above link because some of the English terms were sometimes a bit hard to understand. What puzzles me is the fact that a team excist out of 3 parts Offence ( 11p) Defence ( 11p) and special team for the kicks etc. But How big is a actual team as I understand switching is allowed?And what got me confused is all the differents leages and divisions they play in?? ?What is the difference between NFL and College football??Sorry for asking but this sport gets hardly gets any attention overhere so I am just learning from this thread.

I have read it and actually find something on the Dutch wikepedia by using words out off the above link because some of the English terms were sometimes a bit hard to understand. What puzzles me is the fact that a team excist out of 3 parts Offence ( 11p) Defence ( 11p) and special team for the kicks etc. But How big is a actual team as I understand switching is allowed?And what got me confused is all the differents leages and divisions they play in?? ?What is the difference between NFL and College football??Sorry for asking but this sport gets hardly gets any attention overhere so I am just learning from this thread.

The NFL is a professional football league. That is their job. To play football. Each team represents a city in the U.S.A..College football is the football team that college student play against other colleges. They play for the schools' honor, and thier own hopes to be drafted into the NFL where they could be paid to play, and become multi millionaires doing so.

Guest myonlyvice

So C&B, are you picking VA Tech to prevail tomorrow night? I know I am but I might be letting my dislike of Boise cloud my judgement. I really believe sound defense will win everytime and playing in the WAC against WAC-level competition like Boise does it's hard to develop that kind of defense. I really see this game as the Hokie's to lose.

So C&B' date=' are you picking VA Tech to prevail tomorrow night? I know I am but I might be letting my dislike of Boise cloud my judgement. I really believe sound defense will win everytime and playing in the WAC against WAC-level competition like Boise does it's hard to develop that kind of defense. I really see this game as the Hokie's to lose.[/quote'] A really great defense won't let a team win EVERYTIME, but 9 out of 10 times they do. Anything can happen, that's why they play the game.

Guest myonlyvice
A really great defense won't let a team win EVERYTIME' date=' but 9 out of 10 times they do. Anything can happen, that's why they play the game.[/quote'] You're right in that there are no absolutes and the quote about playing the game is right on. I bet I mumble it to myself 500 times each season.

Guest myonlyvice

I gotta admit Boise St. looked impressive. I still think they play a weak schedule overall, though. Do you think they would have a chance at going 14-0 if they played in the PAC-10 year in year out? Until they join a BCS conference and have to play a BCS conference schedule I don't think they deserve to be in the championship discussion. They're an anomaly since they genuinely are a team who is talented enough to play in BCS conference but they don't or choose not to. Their schedule allows them to avoid the big time physical matchups in consecutive games like teams in BCS conferences must face. They win perhaps one high profile game and spend the reat of the season on autopilot. Until they take that plunge they should be ignored in the BCS discussion.

What are your thoughts on this past weekend' date=' C&B? Both of our teams won at least. I think Ohio State looks really, really good. They are one to watch out for.[/quote']Ohio state DOES look good!However, BAMA is going all the way, they are a JUGGERNAUT this year!! They are going to go unbeaten this year.USC won't be much this year. When they play a really good team, they will loose. Oddly enough, their DEFENSE was good, and the OFFENSE wasn't. Not what I expected at all. Perhaps it was just one game.

Guest myonlyvice
Ohio state DOES look good!However' date=' BAMA is going all the way, they are a JUGGERNAUT this year!! They are going to go unbeaten this year.USC won't be much this year. When they play a really good team, they will loose. Oddly enough, their DEFENSE was good, and the OFFENSE wasn't. Not what I expected at all. Perhaps it was just one game.[/quote'] Does USC play anybody serious out of conference this year? Of course their conference schedule is no joke! I think the Trojans are seeking an identity. They're turned around right now and rightly so. Bama looked OK against Penn St. The defense was soft for Bama standards but we are breaking in NINE new starters on that side of the ball. I hope they mature quickly because I heard our schedule was currently ranked the second hardest in the country. We will be tested and most people are saying we will lose at least one game this year. Also 6 of our opponents have bye weeks before they play us! Can you believe that?!

Does USC play anybody serious out of conference this year? Of course their conference schedule is no joke! I think the Trojans are seeking an identity. They're turned around right now and rightly so. Bama looked OK against Penn St. The defense was soft for Bama standards but we are breaking in NINE new starters on that side of the ball. I hope they mature quickly because I heard our schedule was currently ranked the second hardest in the country. We will be tested and most people are saying we will lose at least one game this year. Also 6 of our opponents have bye weeks before they play us! Can you believe that?!

6 bye weeks? Wow!....and YIKES!I don't see anyone out of conference beating USC (I think they just played two already.) Oregon should be rough. Stanford might win one against us this year. Thank goodness we are not playing OHIO STATE this year!! (I think we beat them 4 straight!...perhaps more. Looking forward to the last game....USC VS. NOTRE DAME! Always a crowd pleaser. I think any team from now on has a chance to beat USC.BAMA may loose a game, but you can still win the National Title by loosing one if I'm not mistaken. Don't be suprised if they win every game though.

Guest myonlyvice
6 bye weeks? Wow!....and YIKES!I don't see anyone out of conference beating USC (I think they just played two already.) Oregon should be rough. Stanford might win one against us this year. Thank goodness we are not playing OHIO STATE this year!! (I think we beat them 4 straight!...perhaps more. Looking forward to the last game....USC VS. NOTRE DAME! Always a crowd pleaser. I think any team from now on has a chance to beat USC.BAMA may loose a game' date=' but you can still win the National Title by loosing one if I'm not mistaken. Don't be suprised if they win every game though.[/quote']Oregon, Oregon St., Stanford, Cal, and Washington will pose the greatest challenges to USC this year in conference. The ND game will be intriguing. Bama's got a tough row to hoe, so to speak. Florida, South Carolina, LSU and Auburn will be the greatest challenges this season. Though when playing in conference there are NO gimmes.

• 3 weeks later...

#1 BAMA looses! :eek:WOW, didn't see that coming.USC plays STANFORD.I'm guessing my USC will have back to back losses, as they lost last week (so did Stanford, but Stanford is better this year.)

Unfortunately, I was right, and USC lost it to a field goal with 4 seconds left on the clock. (lost it just like last week, where they lost on a last second field goal).I figured it was coming, but it's still hard to watch.

Guest myonlyvice

Bama wins BIG TIME!!Ohio State also wins big.USC wins again. Notre Dame looses two weeks in a row.

So much has happened since I last visited this thread I can't do it all. I was CRUSHED when Bama lost to South Carolina. We were just ragged out after facing Arkansas on the road and then Florida. It was three consecutive high ranked teams and the last one got us. We have another interesting road test this week against Tennessee. I saw USC killed Cal yesterday. Bama won too but our offense and particularly the run game in not producing near what it should.

Guest myonlyvice
Guess not many people are interested in this thread.Oh well' date=' not every thread is a winner! :)[/quote'] I'm into it, dude! Sorry I haven't checked "Off Topic" for a while. I actaully haven't been on the site much at all lately. Anyway, I'm sure you're aware I love the Crimson Tide. I actually live in Tuscaloosa and earned all my degrees from UA. What everyone here is anxious to see is if Bama can find more consistency on both sides of the ball. Our defense has shown some improvement but our offense is stagnant. We got the Vols on the road this week. Should be interesting. I'm hoping Oregon and Oklahoma slip up at some point. I doubt Boise or TCU in their wussy conferences will lose.