COLLEGE FOOTBALL

COOPER&BURNETT

I used to be much more into college football before the BCS took over and made some teams in contention felt they had to run up the scores. Sportsmanship seemed to take a back seat.And the over-commercialization of the sport has taken some of the passion and fun out of it for me (I HATE the Oregon Ducks Nike uniforms...ridiculous). Now' date=' most of my sport watching energy goes towards baseball season. Once the World Series is over, I don't watch much football since my sporting attention has been spent.C&B,going back to earlier in the thread, here's a good story for you: When I was very young, I had to take cotillion. Hated it. The only good thing about it was that at the end of each week's session, all us brats were rewarded with a chocolate sundae. It was delicious.Another fun, small bonus was that two of John Wayne's grandkids were in my cotillion class. He would pick them up fairly often (he was also a member of the club where I took cotillion, so nobody made a big deal of him being there).Whenever The Duke would pick up the grandkids, he'd wait in the hallway like all the other parents or whoever. And all us kids would line-up to get his autograph. He would stand there handing out what were basically business cards with his signature on it. I don't know how many I got, but shamefully, I don't have any of them now. I wasn't really aware of the importance of John Wayne at that age. Years later, I would become friends with one of those grandkids he picked up. He's a big USC fan.[/quote']Holy smokes! THE DUKE?? WOW! Yeah, he played football for USC. How cool you know a member of his family! Yeah, the DUKE is as much a legend and face of USC as George Lucas is there.Nike is huge with the Oregon Ducks. Lots of NIKE dollars backing that team. (USC kicked their ass last year in Oregon. ;))It's kind of weird now having a PAC 12 now, but, oh well...

CANES WIN CANES WIN![ATTACH=CONFIG]6697[/ATTACH]

CONGRATS!!Actually, I have a soft spot for the Hurricanes, the Seminols, and the Gators. :thumbsup:Congrats on the the win!!

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Situation 36 seconds left in the game, 4th down, Miami is behind by two points and out of field goal range and the receiver is up against two defenders..

Later the U kicks a field goal to beat GA Tech 25 to 24 to remain undefeated.

Edited by miamijimf

• 5 weeks later...

Now no. 2 in the country.  You need to know something about the history of this rivalry to appreciate all the Miami enthusiasm.  Years ago Notre Dame (a Catholic University) supporters insulted the entire school by saying this was a Catholics vs. Convicts game.

Edited by miamijimf

17 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I remember watching this game with my dad. I was 4. This is maybe my first memory of sports:

I was at that game.  Not my favorite Orange Bowl memory.  :thumbsdown:

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

I was at that game.  Not my favorite Orange Bowl memory.  :thumbsdown:

I was thinking he was for Miami. I forgot it was Florida State! Sorry for the bad memory, Jim! :hot:

• Like 1

UM is Undefeated.  Crazy European soccer fans have nothing on crazy Canes fans.  To say "The Canes are Back" maybe a little premature because the older Cane teams had 5 national championships from 1983 to 2001.  If they are one of the final four teams this year you can say they are on the way back.

Edited by miamijimf

18 hours ago, miamijimf said:

UM is Undefeated.  Crazy European soccer fans have nothing on crazy Canes fans.  To say "The Canes are Back" maybe a little premature because the older Cane teams had 5 national championships from 1983 to 2001.  If they are one of the final four teams this year you can say they are on the way back.

Interesting Jim - I agree slightly too early to say “The Canes Are back” but at least things seem to be moving in the winning direction for them , presently at least.

• 1 year later...

Here's a recent video of Rohan Marley, son of Reggae singer Bob Marley and former linebacker for U of Miami Hurricane football team.  He reminds me of his father.  Bob Marley had a house in South Dade, frequently performed in Miami, and died there in 1981.  He was likely the inspiration for the Vice episode The Big Thaw.

Edited by miamijimf