Ep 16 "Rites of Passage"

Dadrian

Here are the two locations from the glossary for this ep:Railway bridge between NW36th Street and NW South River Drive (crime scene and water body) Jose Marti Park 351 SW 4 Street at Miami River (Tubbs and Valerie take a walk, while shooting this scene temperature in Miami was down to 27F/-3C!) These others may have been discussed somewhere else before, but I couldn't find it:I believe the party house is the hose from Evan. The entrance looks very similar, except that the door isn't red. Can anyone verify this?Eingefügtes BildAlso, David's apartment (interior and exterior) appears to be the Atlantis Building from the opening montage ("Olivia Brown" moment), Hit List, and Viking Bikers from Hell, to name a few. Check out the columns when Crockett and Tubbs drive up at the end. Also, the city view behind David during the backgammon scene is definitely from a high-rise residence, and the rails look good for it, too. Also, the interior is very similar to the room shown in Viking Bikers when they find the dude wrapped and tied up.Eingefügtes Bild

ok now i think i'm wrong about the party house. i watched "lend me an ear" last night, which is definitely the evan house. i don't remember the stairs being right by the door in Rites of Passage, as they are in the evan house.does anyone know which house this is in rites of passage?this current pic of the evan house makes it appear that the glass blocks on the right have been covered with stucco :( say it ain't so!!Eingefügtes Bild

Some interesting mysteries, no doubt. I'm not very good at house interiors. It sure looks like a familiar house, but that can be deceiving since there are so many modern houses in Miami.The door in Rites is a single door (with an odd hinge that is not completely at the edge of the door - notice how it swings open), whereas the Evan house has a double-door. The Rites house has a curved glass brick wall to the left of the door when standing outside facing the door. That's our main clue. The background when David plays backgammon tells us this is not in Miami Beach. There aren't THAT many condo towers on mainland Miami that have been around for 25+ years. I wouldn't be surprised if it is on Brickell Key or Brickell Avenue. The early scene in which Switek & Zito repair the Bug Van was filmed in the Greenwich Studios parking lot. I marked the spot here: LINKWhen Valerie parks her car at David Trayner's place, the entrance doesn't quite match up to the Atlantis. In Hit List, you can see the columns are on steps. When Valerie walks in, she gets out of the car and walks in without climbing steps.

• 8 months later...
Location Correction -Evidence from the episode DVD and photos taken at the shooting location reveal the scene of the Dead Body Recovery to be:Boatyard located at 3900 NW North River DriveThis boatyard is located adjacent to the railway bridge at 3870 NW North River Drive, and is separated from the bridge and the railroad by a chain link fence, still present today. This boatyard is also the location of the final battle between Crockett and Reb in Viking Bikers From Hell. The evidence from the DVD that reveals this location is the slow camera pan from the bridge structure, over to the narrow strip of land bordered on the east by the chain link fence, and on the west by a small inlet carved out of the boatyard property, visible here:Eingefügtes BildThe camera pans from the bridge to the boatyard property:Eingefügtes BildThe chain link fence between the boatyard and the railroad is now visible in the upper right:Eingefügtes BildThe fence is visible again, with the superstructure of a ship docked in the boatyard inlet seen in the upper left, rising above the vehicles parked in the boatyard:Eingefügtes BildThe strip of land used to film this scene is in the right portion of this photo, next to the fence, with the railroad bridge partially visible beyond the trees (photos taken on 05/14/2010):Eingefügtes BildAnother view of the strip of land between the fence and the small boatyard inlet:Eingefügtes BildThis shot was taken through the fence, and under the trailer, showing the spot where Castillo stood next to the stretcher:Eingefügtes BildAnd, this is taken at the river, with the bridge just over my left shoulder, and the tip of the boatyard property visible at the right:... and in the lower right corner of this photo, protecting the boatyard from being entered at the edge of the water is ...Eingefügtes Bild...several loops of razor wire. I did not proceed any further.Eingefügtes Bild

Another view of the strip of land between the fence and the small boatyard inlet:Eingefügtes BildThe building you see here is the Embassy Suites hotel, the gorgeous interior of which was seen in Heart of Night. There are photos of it in my thread in the travel section.

• 2 months later...
Location CorrectionThe floater was pulled out of the water on the south side of the Miami River not the north side. They were at 4080 NW South River Dr. Due south then a little west of the location sited above. The scene starts with a shot of the bridge with Miami Jai Alai in the bg then it pans along the bridge over the water to the south side of the river. Miami Jai Alai is on the north side. The vice crew is on the south side of the river just west of the rr bridge.

great thanks, SoflaJeremy ,A real shame there are so many unknown locations - this appears to be an episode with a lot of unknown locations which is unusual for this part of the site ! Interesting about the Fontainebleau Hotel room though ! :D

SoflaJeremy - ref the interior hotel room being the Fontainebleau that I believe I can confirm as the picture below shows a standard hotel room at the Fontainebleau from when the Hotel was open - the frames are single and low ( a match for the still posted on your website ) - so we can now confirm that room as being in the then Fontainebleau . :Dhttp://www.miamibeach411.com/photos/hotel/fontainebleau.jpg

• 1 year later...
I just updated this episode on my location site including the location of Traynor's hi-rise condo which Pink Flaming0 found in a joint effort here in the calling all detectives thread.

I just updated this episode on my location site including the location of Traynor's hi-rise condo which Pink Flaming0 found in a joint effort here in the calling all detectives thread.

Great work SoflaJeremy :D

• 1 year later...

Great view of the now - gone horizontal striped building on the corner of SE15th / Brickell ( seen in "Hit List" end chase scene ) from The Palace Condo on Brickell Avenue . The house opposite with the pyramid style roof is also seen opposite ( on the corner of Brickell / Se15th Rd & Broadway ) - still standing today . In the race to get to Valerie at The Palace C&T in the Daytona are Eastbound on SE15th Rd/ Broadway . As the camera pans down the metromover and S Miami Avenue/ SW1st Avenue and the I95 are seen in the b/gLooking West - http://binged.it/15p1keONice to see an alternate angle shot of Jose Marti Park in Downtown during Tubbs and Valerie's walk than used in "Hit List" .http://binged.it/19kLM4h:D

Great view of the now - gone horizontal striped building on the corner of SE15th / Brickell ( seen in "Hit List" end chase scene ) from The Palace Condo on Brickell Avenue . The house opposite with the pyramid style roof is also seen opposite ( on the corner of Brickell / Se15th Rd & Broadway ) - still standing today . In the race to get to Valerie at The Palace C&T in the Daytona are Eastbound on SE15th Rd/ Broadway . As the camera pans down the metromover and S Miami Avenue/ SW1st Avenue and the I95 are seen in the b/gLooking West - http://binged.it/15p1keONice to see an alternate angle shot of Jose Marti Park in Downtown during Tubbs and Valerie's walk than used in "Hit List" .http://binged.it/19kLM4h:D

From an alternative angle shot from my visit in 2011 - this shows Broadway / Se15th Road looking towards Brickell Avenue and the bay - this is the street in the aerial view C&T were driving down . The horizontal striped building was on this intersection where the new building is now on the left of the shot .:thumbsup:[ATTACH=CONFIG]8208[/ATTACH]

post-122-13892965749986_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Teaser Screen Capture feat Jai-alai and the "Pilot" drawbridge on the Miami River from the grounds of Central Super Mix:thumbsup::cool::D[ATTACH=CONFIG]8269[/ATTACH]

post-122-13892965783169_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

A really excellent episode and great locations and movie like direction from David Anspaugh( "Golden Triangle Pt2" ) filmed in January 1985  which aired early February 1985.

Val's hotel room was shot at the Fontainebleau Hilton - the only time , I believe, they shot interiors at the property in the five year run :D

Edited by Matt5

• 6 months later...

Interesting episode location wise and lovely to see the Fontainebleau Hilton featured - the interiors ( Val's hotel room) was also shot at the property  :D

some locations is still unidentified. The party house and the consulate.

Would love to find the Consulate it was also seen in the background of the limo scene in " Rock and a Hard Place " from Season 4 :D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

When they enter the door of the Consulate at about 20:27, you can see a reflection in the window.  There are 3 white signs and a green street sign.  Can anybody with Blu-Ray discs read them?

The more I think about this location, the more I believe it must be near the studio.  There just isn't much location overlap between this ep and "Rock and a Hard Place".  And the two scenes are so brief.

Near the studio has long been my thought but who knows. I will take a look at the Blu-ray when I get home tonight to follow up on your lead.

I just came up with an amazing false lead.  Look at the building at 1460 N.E. 123rd Street on Google Street View.  It's the correct height, its walls are made of square panels, it's very close to the studio.  Seems perfect .... except that in the 1986 aerial it's a vacant lot.

:thumbsdown:

It's even described as "a modern Art Deco design"

http://howitteyecare.com/facilitiesMIAMI.htm

building03M.jpg