Episode #5 "Calderone’s Demise"

Ferrariman

Great episode...one of my favorites.Could this episode had been better? Sure. But it was great as it was. There just wasn't enough time in the episode to put everything out. Yes Phane's delivery was questionable in a scene or two, but I personally loved her voice. I look at part 1 & 2, as one long episode. Gotta love the twist of Calderone killing Tubbs' brother, Tubbs is in love with Calderone's daughter. This one did have action, romance, and heart. Tubbs felt so bad knowing that he broke Angelina's heart. You know he was in love thinking about her on that boat ride back. I felt like this episode gave us insight on Calderone as a dealer, and a father. Jan Hammer's classic "Angelina's Flashback" was perfect for the love scene.

• 7 months later...

Yes...the part 1 and part 2 are both, maybe my favourites of MV. I gotta agree there are some goofs or mistakes.- The helicopter shadow is horrible.- The nail polish wrong - The Angelina on those pictures wasnt Phanie Napoli.- Some editing mistakes on the party- The exploding car (aaaaaaargh!)- Some lines were played kinda bad or not very realistical (ok, but i forgive, acting will be improved episodes later)- The flipped boat scene.

i find the episode verry good :thumbsup:, the music is :cool::radio:, the story ist verry :cool:, i find the season 1 authentic good :thumbsup::cool::clap::eek:. i give 10 points :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This episode deserves a 10 for only 2 reasons:1. The boat ride with voices and the return with Tina2. One of Crocketts snappiest comebacks ever, posing as the hitman.Middleman: we will have to renegotiateCrockett: there will be no renegotiation. There will even be no negotiation. You see, my terms are non negotiable. Fantastic delivery of Don.

• 1 year later...

Calderone's Return (Part II)" (1984)

Last time I saw this one I thought it was the better episode of the two Calderone's Return Parts but now I think its the other way.

One of the reasons is that I felt the conclusion to the Calderone feud were a bit rushed, and then the sudden romance between Tubbs and Angela or just scenes like the car chase that seems it was taken right out of an episode of The A-Team.

Still it's one of the great and classic Miami Vice episodes and it does include several memorable scenes along with a good use of music and footage.

8/10

• 1 month later...

Was this the only instance of Tubbs looking so sick on a boat trip? This may be the only one at this speed. He looked ok in others I can think of. The trip in this episode is pretty brutal to me.

Was this the only instance of Tubbs looking so sick on a boat trip? This may be the only one at this speed. He looked ok in others I can think of. The trip in this episode is pretty brutal to me.

Don't think PMT is that good of an actor  :D  i guess he was a little sea sick in real life..those waves looked choppy doe

• Haha 1

I mean he's really sick in this episode but I don't remember seeing him like this again. I guess he adjusted or took something so he would stay conscious!

• 5 months later...

I liked this episode because of the music and scenery. However, it's too bad that an episode that had the potential to be one of the greatest MV episodes, was ruined due to the addition of the Angelina character. I found it extremely stupid that Tubbs gets involved with her, and then he tells Crockett how much he loves her after talking to her for a total of five minutes over a period of two days. It makes no sense whatsoever, and the whole Angelina/Rico romance thing got in the way of the important thing, the Calderone story, which is what the episode is supposed to be about. Instead, the whole thing turns into a mess at the end, and what's even worse, is that the writers chose to make a son for Tubbs due to this whole idiotic episode later on. It's all very ridiculous, and the woman who played Angelina was a pretty bad actress. Her romance with Tubbs just wasn't believable at all. It's not because of the super-short hair or anything, it's just the way the character is and how it was played was terrible. She was one-dimensional and behaved like she was a 10 year-old instead of a grown woman. There's no reason to become emotionally involved with her character because it just doesn't resonate. It's like the Bob guy in that other episode. Why should we care, and why should Tubbs care? When you can't feel sympathy for a character the writers want you to sympathize with, and it's not believable that another character would really do the things the writers are having him due for the crappy character, then it's a terrible character, and they shouldn't have created it in the first place. It's really a shame because if they hadn't made her character, this episode had the potential to be in the top 10 best episodes. The music, the setting, the way everything was filmed was fantastic.

I liked the car chase scene, and the scene where they are going to the Bahamas on Sonny's boat and the Voices song plays, those two scenes are some of the best in all of Vice. I just don't understand why they chose to go completely off-topic in an episode as important as this one with the silly Angelina character and having Tubbs act like a moron because of her. This is evidenced in many ways, but especially by the fact that he actually gets involved with her, (even when he doesn't know she's Calderone's daughter, he still knew she was had something to do with Calderone, even if it's just his mistress or hooker), It's not believable at all that a smart cop like Tubbs would think it safe to be around her and would want to be with her knowing that she  is affiliated with Calderone, the guy who killed his brother, the guy he hates and has a personal vendetta against, the guy who already knows that he and Sonny are cops and has already tried to have them killed. Simply by knowing that she's close to Calderone is enough for him to be wary around her, not pursue a relationship with her, then jump into bed with her and then profess how much he cares for her. I mean it's one thing to be undercover, and get involved with women you know are affiliated with drug dealers and drug bosses, but in the case of Calderone, it's not believable that Tubbs would get involved with a woman affiliated with him because he had a personal vendetta against the man, and he knew that Calderone already knew he and Sonny were cops. 

Sonny was a voice of reason in this episode, but too bad Tubbs wasn't listening. This episode was supposed to be a big deal, the confrontation with Calderone that Rico has been waiting for, also that Sonny has been waiting for, since he has just as much reason to take it personally as he and his family were targets of Calderone as well. The personal vendetta that Rico had was supposed to build up into a great conclusion, and focus on him and the man he considered a very personal enemy, not just another bad guy he was busting. It makes you expect something a lot better than what this episode turned out to be. Instead, the episode tanked, as they wasted all the time on the stupid incredulous "romance" to the point where the ending when they do finally confront Calderone, is extremely rushed and abrupt, almost like an afterthought. Bottom line is that it would have been a great episode, but by adding in a completely unnecessary character, making Tubbs look like an idiot, and diverting the storyline from the real plot, and then hastily wrapping it up in the end, they ruined it. 

Edited by viceystyle
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On occasion I get interesting e-mails from fans that contact me thru my location sites. Thought I would share parts of one (after receiving his permission of course) that people here might find interesting.

I grew up on St.Croix and was present for the chase scene through C’sted. The Island in the background is actually a hotel (believe it’s now for sale) Hotel on the Cay. The beach is actually called Davis Bay, Carambola is the name of the hotel that is now on that property, this is the same beach in the final scene of Trading Places (Murphy,Ackroyd) and the original Island of Dr. Moreau.

Funny story, the chase scene closed off many streets and parking was hard to find so I backed my car down the street where the Comanche Hotel is. (the Honeymoon Suite used to be the “tower†in the background when C&T are on boardwalk). Tubbs was in a car hauling ass through town and turned down that street where I had parked and after jamming on the breaks he gets out and starts cursing “who the F*** parked that carâ€, it was so funny because dude was seriously mad.

During chase, they drive up a hill and over the crest where you can see Gallows Bay in distance,  the house on the right was where my good friends lived and the house across the street was where Victor Borge lived, the famous piano player from Denmark.

A buddy of mine in high school bought one of the cars used on the show, a Ford Fairmont but they had 351 engines in them where most rentals had either the awful 6 or a seriously detuned 302. Pretty funny to see that hideous car smoke some hot rods at the track (fairly straight road down to the public dump at the end of the runway at airport)

Also, they drove on the wrong side of the road in the whole episode. We drive on the left, left over from the British in the 1500’s.

I watched the episode on Netflix recently and the scene with Angelina and Tubbs that you didn’t know location is also at Davis Bay Beach where they have some old ruins. 

When C&T first arrive on the island they are chatting with the bartender at what used to be The Anchor Inn hotel, one of many pools we used to get thrown out of.

Thought it was more than interesting enough to share.

• Like 1

The "actress" who played Angelina wasn't an actress at all but a New York model. She's one of the earliest examples of the show casting a non-actor in a role to wooden results.

I also never liked how Tubbs fell for Angelina so quickly. That was always a weakness of Michael Mann productions. He did the same thing in his film "Heat": Robert DeNiro's character falls too quickly for the main girl and pays the consequences for it in the end.

The worst thing about Calderone's Demise is that this episode was done too early in the series. This should have been in the fifth season, not as the fifth episode. Tubbs' entire motivation for being in Miami was to catch the drug dealer who killed his brother. It should have built up over time, with Calderone reappearing every now and again, only to narrowly escape each time they come close to nabbing him. He's Tubbs' nemesis -- it'd have been more satisfying for the viewer and for Tubbs to finally nail Calderone after years of chasing scum in Miami.

As it stood, C&T caught their main villain just a few weeks after Tubbs came to Miami.  ?(

Edited by Spyder
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Do we know why, at the beginning Tubbs shows photos of Angelina that are clearly not the actress they cast? Once they get to the island and talk to the barman, we have a photo of the correct actress.

Was there a casting change? Or did they just not manage to have shots there for the interrogation scene? Is that why they have black marker on her face on those first photos, to try and disguise the features in the hope the audience wouldn't really see her and notice this? :)

strange review. i don't remember talking about being deeply in love with Angelina

plus i love those two episodes

Edited by AzVice

• 3 months later...
On 10/23/2016 at 1:19 PM, Jay1984 said:

5/5 a masterpiece. Probly my fav if not one of my fav (they change alot lol) of MV. Both Hit list and this feel like a movie not a TV show. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree both "Hit List" and this episode are like a movie. Just never get tired of these - such great feeling episodes with style, music, locations and a great story

10 out of 10 :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

As with The Hit List, this episode is near perfection. The only thing holding it back is the actress who played Angelina. What the hell were they thinking. Only Dorothy from Buddies compares.

Anyway this episode has great music, scenery, and just a cool Caribbean vibe.

I'm a massive James Bond fanatic so the locations remind me of Thunderball and Licence To Kill. LTK by the way is how I first heard about MV.

Extra points for the opening and ending boat rides.

9.5/10

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Remington said:

As with The Hit List, this episode is near perfection. The only thing holding it back is the actress who played Angelina. What the hell were they thinking. Only Dorothy from Buddies compares.

Anyway this episode has great music, scenery, and just a cool Caribbean vibe.

I'm a massive James Bond fanatic so the locations remind me of Thunderball and Licence To Kill. LTK by the way is how I first heard about MV.

Extra points for the opening and ending boat rides.

9.5/10

Interesting you bringing up 007...I too love James Bond, and Thunderball is one of my favorites! As for MV, I wasn't wowed over either by the actress who played Angelina...but she was okay. But, as Ive stated before this and Part 1, Hit List, are my all time favorite episodes!! The Caribbean vibe is one of the special aspects of the show that made it unique and one of a kind!  :thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2016 at 1:14 AM, AzVice said:

strange review. i don't remember talking about being deeply in love with Angelina

plus i love those two episodes

LOL I shouldn't say anything without watching again but my memory of Tubbs' feelings about Angelina at this point is LWP--Crockett's "Lust with Potential".

I do think the relationship was portrayed as an instant and rather unbelievable meeting of two soul-mates.  Tubbs didn't seem to feel any caution about jumping into bed with the daughter of his sworn enemy, a known vicious criminal.  Even if Angelina was truly innocent and unknowing of her father's life, Tubbs was supposed to be a cop and I would have expected a more wary approach from him.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

LOL I shouldn't say anything without watching again but my memory of Tubbs' feelings about Angelina at this point is LWP--Crockett's "Lust with Potential".

I do think the relationship was portrayed as an instant and rather unbelievable meeting of two soul-mates.  Tubbs didn't seem to feel any caution about jumping into bed with the daughter of his sworn enemy, a known vicious criminal.  Even if Angelina was truly innocent and unknowing of her father's life, Tubbs was supposed to be a cop and I would have expected a more wary approach from him.  

Totally agree...both Tubbs and Crockett made some really stupid choices at different times in the show...this being Tubbs' femme fatale! As cops I would think they'd at least try to think through choices before making them...but I guess they were human too, lol! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AzVice said:

hey remember he didn't know angelina was the daughter until they were in bed. he thought he was seducing his mistress.

True, but I still think the situation called for caution...!  Not sure why he would have been confident she wouldn't give him up to Calderone--even though of course he didn't tell her he was a cop, Calderone may have had her watched (mistress, daughter, whatever, if she was significant to him I feel like he would have had her under surveillance even when the bodyguards weren't around, LOL).

• Like 1