Episode #5 "Calderone’s Demise"

Ferrariman

• 7 months later...

I love it!!!! My rating is a 10+ This episode is in my top 10 favorites! It has it all! Music : "Voices" I get the chills watching & listening to this segment. It's even better now that Rick explained how they shot it from the helicopter and knowing about the reversing of the film, makes me feel like an insider. On the trip home Tubbs' watch is now on his right wrist! Beautiful, St. Andrews Is. scenery. Nice interaction between Rico & Angelina in that romantic setting. I wish I could have met her at the 2004Convention. Good chase scene. Fun at the masquerade party & then the finale, with a powerful death scene for Calderone. I felt sorry for Angelina and also a little for her "pops", but I do tend to sympathize too much. All in all, a great episode for me to watch many times. P.S. They show a close-up of Sonny's foot on the gas pedal and his shoes don't look like a $400 pair. $ 12.95 in Payless. Someone on m-v.org mentioned the masquerade party was similar to James Bond in "Thunderball"........maybe!I like Calderone's death scene with his head backwards in the pool. My most memorable death scene!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Administrators

I gotta agree with my neighbor Tony D. and give this one a 10 too.Voices really was a great tune for a great ep.And I agree the end death scene with the head bent backwards in the pool. 1st class!!!Great ep.

Guest neworder

Sorry guys, gotta disagree with ya here lolShame about this episode because it starts so well. Without a doubt the ‘voices’ scene is one of the if not the most fantastic scene in Miami Vice. Brilliant song, lovely shots of the stinger and at the same time the scene tells the story of whats previously happened in the story without having to a do a boring ‘previously in…’ scene like they do with many TV shows of today and later in Miami Vice. Crockett and Tubbs head off to the Bahamas, some lovely island scenery and some lovely island themed Jan Hammer music. In fact Hammer’s soundtrack is very good in this one.However, there are many issues with this episode. Angelina is not hot enough and she looks too much like a boy with that extremely short hair cut. Don’t know why Tubbs initially described her as an ‘over educated hooker’ because she definitely didn’t look like a hooker to me. Anyway, her looks aside, her acting is pretty poor. Initially she’s fine, but the ending where she screams no a hundred feckin times is annoying. Plus the argument between her and Tubbs is awful scene, and looks as though it belongs more in a TV soap rather than an action cop show. Very poor scene. Also the whole Angelina story gets in the way of Calderone, personally I would’ve liked to have seen more of him in this episode.Anyway, its not an awful episode but it does have some major drawbacks made up by some good Hammer tunes, some nice scenes here and there but crucially this episode has one of the best scenes of the series so therefore im gonna give this episode a 7/10. It’s just a bit disappointing after the excellent first part in my opinion.

Calderone's Demise is superb. Pure Miami Vice. A very strong episode and another early classic. The opening speedboat montage is simply awesome. One of the defining moments of the series. The combination of Russ Ballard's 'Voices' with the imagery and action is amazing. It must have been revolutionary back in 1984 and it's still pulsating today. The whole episode oozes Carribean atmosphere and the scenery is gorgeous. I loved the scene on the beach when Tubbs first met Angelina and the aerial shot of Angelina's house. The whole episode is very visually beautiful. Some great action in this episode. I loved the car chase. Terrific sequence. Excellent work by Jan Hammer. I liked how they re-used 'Boat Party', one of my favourite Hammer tunes. It's good it got to be in a quality episode, not just the crappy Cool Runnin'. I really liked Sam McMurray as Jimbo. He was funny and proof that comic relief on the show didn't have to be loud and stupid, like Noogie and Izzy. Got a few issues with it though. Why does the car suddenly explode when Crockett drives into the water? And Mendez's acting in the intro is pretty bad, the way he stumbles his lines. Tubbs' habit of falling for the wrong woman has it's origin in this episode. Angelina is a contentious point in the ep. She's not the prettiest girl ever and her acting is dubious but I did like the relationship between her and Tubbs. It added some complexity to the episode. The final showdown with Calderone was great. It wasn't in the Bahamas though. It was at the Scarface house in Key Biscayne. The first time I saw this episode I thought "Hey, that's Frank Lopez's house!". One thing about the climax though. If Calderone was established as such a powerful archnemesis why kill him off after a few episodes? And Tubbs should've killed him instead of Crockett. That would've made more sense since his son was out for revenge on him in Sons and Lovers. The closing scene was wonderful. 'What's Love Got To Do With It' was perfect for the ending. Overall, a great ep. 9.5/10

• Like 1

• Administrators

i like the first part of calderone's return better, BUT: "voices" and the scarab ride is definitely one of the best and most thrilling scenes of the whole show.the angelina story gave at least pmt's character room enough to develop something like a private life. another highlight is the nearly-clash between sonny and rico at the beach, when rico pointed out that nobody could stop him to take revenge, not even sonny. this shows that rico is not the even-tempered always-in-good-mood guy he plays all the time. i like that kind of contradictory character. that makes life ... uuhhmm ... story more interesting. could have been more concerning rico ...despite the skinny storyline i would rate 7 of 10. :cool:

I give this ep(a.k.a. Calerone's Return part II) a 9.5 overall. For me it didn't quite have all the elements of which Hit List had. It seemed to have more of a relaxed island getaway feeling to it, which is why it lost point point for my rating. Not a it's bad thing but it took some of the suspense away for me. But a gripping ending, and a great music score overall also!

• 4 weeks later...

Calderone's DemiseVisually, beautiful. Story was okay. I know everyone likes how Calderone's head falls into the pool as he dies, but I find it too staged. To me, it looked like he was wiggling himself into position to make it happen.MJ

• 3 weeks later...

This episode surpasses the previous 3 episodes (remember, Brother's Keeper was a movie that started the series), the opening surpasses anything I have seen so far in watching the series (the pilot is more a film so I'll get to that later) the Russ Ballard song is amazing,almost the whole episode is perfection, the car chases, the action, the music. I say almost for a few quams: The out of nowhere romance, the rediculous explosion of Crockett's Car, and Calderone's staged death (what's with the daughter's over the top screaming?!) Hit List was a great action piece, this helps Vice surpass any show before and after it, what's the score? ...... 10 out of 10!

• 4 months later...

One of the best. Real video style here too. Love the end with the credits over the boat and "what's love got to do with it?"The Angelina story was sexy, and great music again. Final confrontation with Calderon was terrific as well. "ooone little man..."

• 1 month later...

This is a great episode. The use of "Voices" while Crockett and Tubbs are in the boat is excellent. Everyone should look up the music video to "Voices" on You Tube it gives a whole new perspective to the song. The character of Jimbo was funny. I don't know what to say about Angelina. I mean Tubbs is always falling for this women that have issues. He is always sticking his nose into Crockett's business when it comes to women, but he's not one to talk. I give this episode an 8.

• 5 months later...

Regarding the issue of why Crockett's car blew up in the water, this was because the hitmen shot at the car with their semi automatic weapons while it was bobbing about in the water. You see the car bobbing in the water, then hear the gunshots. The car then immediately explodes. The petrol tank of the car was exposed so presumably the bullets hit the petrol tank and exploded it immediately. For me the unrealistic part was not why the car exploded, but how Crockett and Tubbs managed to get out of that situation alive.I love the beginning of the episode, with the glass being smashed in front of Mendez's face. One thing I like about Vice is how often they throw you right into the action and the plotline right from the beginning and you're left wondering "what the hells going on here", while you try and make sense of what's going on. I'm sure the glass was fake, but even so I reckon they took a risk smashing it so close to Tito Goya's eyes. They must have got him to sign a disclaimer first!Yes, the "Voices" scene is a classic, and I'd recommend Russ Ballard's "best of" and "After the fire" albums to anyone, because they contain some great songs. I saw a different version of this episode screened on tv once (think it may have been UK Gold). The episode used "Can't turn back" from "Tale of the Goat" in the opening boat journey scene, and Joe Cocker's "Many rivers to cross" in the reversed end scene where Crockett and Tubbs are sailing back home. Why I do not know. Notice as well how Tubbs does not look happy on the boat journeys, almost like he's seasick, whereas Crockett takes it all his stride. I get the impression that DJ was always more comfortable with speed that PMT was. In many of the Daytona scenes, Tubbs looks like he's trying hard not to look uncomfotable, while DJ has no qualms about driving at high speed.I loved the scene where Crockett is posing as the hitman, in order to collect his money. The dialogue is what makes this scene. Crockett just takes no sh!t. The question is though, what the hell was he thinking of pulling a stunt like that? Why did he not just take the money and say thanks? It was a suicidal gesture. Then again, maybe the whole idea was to flush Calderone out into the open?I loved the car chase scene, especially entertaining considering all the hills. This was my favourite scene in the whole episode. Considering the fact that Crockett worked out after this attempted hit that Alberry was on Calderone's payroll, it was unclear whether or not Calderone had ordered the hit because he found out that the hitman was actually Crockett, with Tubbs with him as well, or whether it was because at the point that he'd ordered the hit, he didn't know this information, and was angry at the fact that the hitman had the audacity to turn the tables on him and start blackmailing Calderone into giving him more money. If it was down to Crockett's mad improvisation stunt, trying to wind up Calderone, then his "Laurel and Hardy" quip to Tubbs "another fine predicament you got us into" was pretty ironic.Anyone know where the location of "St Andews Island" was? I seem to remember Rick Bravo telling us once that it was in the Bahamas, but I can't remember where exactly.There was quite a noticable goof that took place in the conversation with Crockett and Tubbs on their boat after Tubbs had found out that Angelina was Calderone's daughter. Tubbs says to Crockett "... I mean she just thinks her father is some wealthy financier...", as if he has already told Crockett that Angelina is Calderone's daughter. Yet a minute later he reveals to Crockett (who is totally shocked and surprised) that Angelina is Calderone's daughter!The only real negative part of the whole episode was the fact that PMT and Phanie Napoli were struggling a bit with the acting during the argument scene. I thought that in this episode, Calderone looked very much like Jose Yero, the bad guy from the Miami Vice film. The obvious reversed boat scene at the end of the episode was a bit cheap as it made the editing look naff. It would have been better if they had just asked DJ to sail for 5 minutes in one direction, then double back and sail for another 5 minutes in the opposite direction, and filmed all that footage in one go. It would have made that ending look much more realistic.This for me is another great episode, although I think that "Hit list" had the edge. Therefore I would give this episode an 8.

• 4 months later...

First...I know for some reason the 2-part "Calderone's Return" was later sometimes seperated into two different titled episodes--sometimes called "The Hit List" and "Calderone's Demise." I don't know if this was done later for syndication?? Anyway, I combine both episodes and personally view them as the originally aired 2-part "Calderone's Return.""Calderone's Return"-PT. 2 (aka "Calderone's Demise"--and along with PT. 1--aka "Hit List") is my favorite episode/s of first season...and 2 of my all-time favorite of the whole series!!You have to have the "Pilot" to truly understand "Calderone's Return" but "Return" just exploded with action, music, fashion, plot, more depth of the characters, it just was superb!! This was also Gregory Sierra's (Lt. Rodriquez's demise--sad and I really liked him too--but I also loved that this opened the door for when Castillo comes in and really helped bring things together!I can watch the 2-part "Calderone's Return" over and over...and hardly ever really get tired of it! It was just some of those select or "special" episodes that truly defined "Miami Vice!" Superb--and I gave this a 10!! :thumbsup:

Not as good as part 1, but overall a very good season 1 episode.Love the car chase on st. Andrews Island and background music (Jan Hammer the Great!) :)8 out of 10

Not as good as part 1' date=' but overall a very good season 1 episode.Love the car chase on st. Andrews Island and background music (Jan Hammer the Great!) :)8 out of 10[/quote']True...I did like PT. 1 better--but I sort of feel like you have to have both parts to truly make the plot or storyline work. So, I just tried to "lump" it all together as best I could here, sort of like combining PTS. 1 & 2 into a one-story deal--almost like it was a 2-hour thing instead, even though I know it wasn't. I did love the car chase on St. Andrews and as usual the background music by Hammer was awesome! :thumbsup:

my friend is in that episode.so hands up :)

That's freakin' awesome! :cheers: What part did your friend play in the episode?

she plays angelina' date='[/quote']You know Phanie Napoli? Awesome!!! :cheers: Do you still keep in contact and is she still acting? Just curious.

She used to be a member of our "other" website.Now we are here.Ask her to rejoin with us here.How do you know her?

She used to be a member of our "other" website.Now we are here.Ask her to rejoin with us here.How do you know her?

i would say luck,i dont know if shes interested to join here,but could ask her,next time

i would say luck' date='i dont know if shes interested to join here,but could ask her,next time[/quote']She joined us before, .....but now it's BETTER!I'd give her, her own space in the SCRAPBOOK section to talk about anything she'd like, or promote anything. Would love for her to answer MIAMI VICE questions. Ask her please.

i would say luck' date='i dont know if shes interested to join here,but could ask her,next time[/quote']I would definitely feel lucky to know "Angelina!" :) Anyway, sometime maybe see if she'd be interested in posting here, and her thoughts on the "MV" episodes she was in. I did post quite a bit at the "other site" but haven't for a long time (left after Ferrariman left) so I didn't see what she said there.

She joined us before' date=' .....but now it's BETTER!I'd give her, her own space in the SCRAPBOOK section to talk about anything she'd like, or promote anything. Would love for her to answer MIAMI VICE questions. Ask her please.[/quote']i believe so.cant promise though