Episode #5 "Calderone’s Demise"

Ferrariman

I just mean, typically there'd be a shot of him falling down, followed by the others reacting, then a close up of his face wincing in pain, clutching his wound (as he is the main villain with lots of baggage), then the wide shot of his head dunking in. At least, that'd be a more "traditional" way to both shoot and edit the sequence.

But the scene also showed how Angelina reacts. The main focus was therefore not on Calderone, even though he is, as you rightly say, the main villain. You heard the shots, saw them being fired, but also heard Angelina screaming. If I remember correctly, you saw especially her standing there, arms slightly raised, pure horror on her face. Only then was Calderone shown. Or am I mistaken?

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 2:18 PM, ViceFanMan said:

This pic has probably been posted before, but came across this online earlier...love the shirts & Crockett’s pants! I miss the 80s!! :dance2: :cool:

FDBCD603-80F0-4A95-A6D9-DA22E1167DED.jpeg

Yeah, I think Crockett's pants are the greatness; I had a pair of shorts that color (can't think of the name brand), but sadly they got a little damaged. The shirts are definitely fun as well.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 2:53 PM, Christine said:

Why? Do you have the feeling that something is missing in the scene?

I think the way he dies is brilliant. Especially because he sits on the edge of the pool for a moment before he topples backwards without falling completely into the pool. That's actually what you're waiting for when someone dies in that position. Not so Calderone.

Good point about Calderone not completely falling into the pool. I like how his demise played out.

• Like 1

vor 47 Minuten schrieb Eillio Martin Imbasciati:

Yeah, I think Crockett's pants are the greatness; I had a pair of shorts that color (can't think of the name brand), but sadly they got a little damaged. The shirts are definitely fun as well.

I thought the gaudy shirts of the 80s were terrible. Only the colors in the 70s were even worse. When I see my old photos, I always get the cold shivers. What terrible color combinations we wore back then!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Good point about Calderone not completely falling into the pool. I like how his demise played out.

It was rumored he couldn't swim and didn't want to "Fall" into the pool. It was also rumored he was wearing a slim fitting custom white life jacket when his top half fell backwards into the pool which resulted to his "Floating" upper torso and also provided a level of protection on his back on the pool edge.

I believe it may even be visible in the final scene when Crockett walks up to Calderone in the pool.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, king77 said:

It was rumored Miguel Pinero couldn't swim or was a poor swimmer and didn't want to "Fall" completely into the pool. It was also rumored he was wearing a slim fitting custom white life jacket when his top half fell backwards into the pool which resulted to his "Floating" upper torso when Crockett ran to him in the pool and may have also provided a level of protection on his back on the pool edge.

I believe it may even be visible in the final scene when Crockett walks up to Calderone in the pool as a white stripe not the same color of his shirt can be seen.

Edited by king77
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

You may wish to put a r in the last line :) 

definitely a stripe of different color :) 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I looked at those busted (busted like Charlie Glide!) designer shorts; they're Calvin Klein. I remember when I wore them when I went back into the past with my DeLorean & met my parents, I wore that pair. Wait, that was someone else...

• 2 months later...

Aside from Sonny's awful hat, this is a very cool episode with a diverting Caribbean flavor; we are ushered in with that glorious boat ride with another terrific Russ Ballard track.  

Miguel Pinero had led a life of crime before writing Short Eyes in prison and then winning the 1974 NY Drama Critics' Award for it.  But maybe he's now more well-known for his Miami Vice work as both an actor and writer.  He made a very charismatic Calderone. 

I like Phanie Napoli's Angelina - her severely short hairstyle is unflattering (it makes her eyes pop too much), but she is charming and Tubbs' caring for her gives him a dilemma re his revenge against her father Calderone.  Sam McMurray's goofball stoner is almost as annoying as the character he would later play in the Coens' Raising Arizona!

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 4

On 8/23/2021 at 2:34 AM, Jack Gretsky said:

Aside from Sonny's awful hat, this is a very cool episode with a diverting Caribbean flavor; we are ushered in with that glorious boat ride with another terrific Russ Ballard track.  

Miguel Pinero had led a life of crime before writing Short Eyes in prison and then winning the 1974 NY Drama Critics' Award for it.  But maybe he's now more well-known for his Miami Vice work as both an actor and writer.  He made a very charismatic Calderone. 

I like Phanie Napoli's Angelina - her severely short hairstyle is unflattering (it makes her eyes pop too much), but she is charming and Tubbs' caring for her gives him a dilemma re his revenge against her father Calderone.  Sam McMurray's goofball stoner is almost as annoying as the character he would later play in the Coens' Raising Arizona!

I agree, the hat is silly, but I love it; I find Crockett humorous in that scene, between being all wet, his "Ju got it mang...we're so under, we may as well be on another planet" line (the second part of the line I sometimes use myself, with modifications), and also the way he plops the hat back on and saunters away. I consider it a James "Funny" Crockett moment.

Yeah, Miguel Pinero was a serious fella for sure, and I began visiting allpoetry.com to read his poetry (I now post my pieces on that site as well); one of my favorites is "Black Woman with the Blond Wig On". I think he was a heck of a creative guy, and "Short Eyes" is another outstanding piece of work from him (I viewed the film version starring Bruce Davidson). I agree, I thought he was awesome as Calderone, and, in knowing his history, that brings an authenticity to me that likely beats any research (although rolling through life as he did probably isn't the best way, but he did leave a piece of himself behind through his various creative endeavors).

I'm generally not a big fan of short hair on ladies (although they probably don't give a darn what I think about it anyway:)), but I do like the Angelina character. That whole romance with Tubbs and her was sped up to ludicrous speed, but I feel it served its purpose ("What's Love Got to Do with it"? Turns out to be lots, actually). For me, it raises the stakes even more and makes Angelina more than a grieving daughter and more collateral damage from her father's choice of lifestyle.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I agree, the hat is silly, but I love it; I find Crockett humorous in that scene, between being all wet, his "Ju got it mang...we're so under, we may as well be on another planet" line (the second part of the line I sometimes use myself, with modifications), and also the way he plops the hat back on and saunters away. I consider it a James "Funny" Crockett moment.

Yeah, Miguel Pinero was a serious fella for sure, and I began visiting allpoetry.com to read his poetry (I now post my pieces on that site as well); one of my favorites is "Black Woman with the Blond Wig On". I think he was a heck of a creative guy, and "Short Eyes" is another outstanding piece of work from him (I viewed the film version starring Bruce Davidson). I agree, I thought he was awesome as Calderone, and, in knowing his history, that brings an authenticity to me that likely beats any research (although rolling through life as he did probably isn't the best way, but he did leave a piece of himself behind through his various creative endeavors).

I'm generally not a big fan of short hair on ladies (although they probably don't give a darn what I think about it anyway:)), but I do like the Angelina character. That whole romance with Tubbs and her was sped up to ludicrous speed, but I feel it served its purpose ("What's Love Got to Do with it"? Turns out to be lots, actually). For me, it raises the stakes even more and makes Angelina more than a grieving daughter and more collateral damage from her father's choice of lifestyle.

I appreciate your comments re Pinero.  I got interested in reading plays when I was 13 and was intrigued by his life story.  As far as the accelerated pace of the Tubbs/Angelina romance goes, chalk it up to dramatic license, lol.  I'm one who prefers the snappy pace of shows with self-contained episodes to long, drawn-out serials. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I appreciate your comments re Pinero.  I got interested in reading plays when I was 13 and was intrigued by his life story.  As far as the accelerated pace of the Tubbs/Angelina romance goes, chalk it up to dramatic license, lol.  I'm one who prefers the snappy pace of shows with self-contained episodes to long, drawn-out serials. 

Oh yeah, I'm totally fine with the pace of the Tubbs/Angelina romance, a romance formatted to fit the scheduled time allotted (and like you said, dramatic license:cool:). Besides, I can just use my imagination with the rest and fill in the blanks (one of the many things I dig about Vice is that I can fill in the blanks for myself & let my imagination run away with certain plots/subplots).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Besides, I can just use my imagination with the rest and fill in the blanks (one of the many things I dig about Vice is that I can fill in the blanks for myself & let my imagination run away with certain plots/subplots).

Me too :-)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

After watching this last night and thinking of her death in "Son & Lovers"  Angelina is one of the real tragic figure in the show, it just struck me how much I feel sorry her. Not knowing that her father was a criminal and watching him die in front of her and then a year later she suffered that horrific ordeal in the car and then death.

She was such a sweet, innocent soul.

Just goes to show when Sonny and Rico get involved with innocent people danger surrounds them at any moment. She's not my cup of tea but Caitlin as well, her death was heartbreaking.

I things took a different turn in "Nobody Lives Forever" Brenda might have died.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

After watching this last night and thinking of her death in "Son & Lovers"  Angelina is one of the real tragic figure in the show, it just struck me how much I feel sorry her. Not knowing that her father was a criminal and watching him die in front of her and then a year later she suffered that horrific ordeal in the car and then death.

Just goes to show when Sonny and Rico get involved with innocent people danger surrounds them at any moment. She's not my cup of tea but Caitlin as well, her death was heartbreaking.

I things took a different turn in "Nobody Lives Forever" Brenda might have died.

Very well put! I agree, that it seemed like innocent people tended to get hurt, or killed, when spending too much time around Crockett and Tubbs. I guess that was supposedly one of the ‘negatives’ of the job. :o 

However, when it came to poor Angelina, her own family ultimately caused her hurt (emotional in this 2-part episode) & eventually her demise (death in “Sons & Lovers”). Whether she had ever gotten into a relationship with Tubbs or not, it was most likely inevitable that sooner or later her father’s business would be his downfall & her psycho half-brother would eventually get rid of her to take over the family empire for himself. In a bizarre sense, Tubbs was just as much of a victim as Angelina...and the perpetrator? The Calderone drug empire!

I never cared much for Angelina, or Caitlin for Crockett, but their deaths were very tragic & sad. ;( It would have been very ‘wild’ & interesting if they had killed off Brenda in “Nobody Lives Forever”...as she was probably my least favorite of Sonny’s girlfriends/relationships (however, the girlfriend that OD’d because she was a ‘mule’—Sarah??—runs a darn close second to bring my least favorite too). :p

I know there are those who would disagree...but (pretending MV world was real) I still say the only relationship for Crockett that had the best chance of ‘surviving’ was Gina. She not only understood the job and its demands & dangers...she had to perform & participate in them herself! She “got” it. But, we can thank new writers for abandoning C&G. :evil: 

For Tubbs, as much of a ‘forced/rushed’ disappointing episode that “Afternoon Plane” was (it could’ve & should’ve been so much better) I still liked the character of Alicia Austin for him. She should have shown up more often...forget toxic whack-job Val. ;) 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

@Dadrian Is this the same version in this episode, the part when Tubbs goes to see Angelina?

It’s the same sequence from the Memorymoog. In Calderone’s Demise the tempo was a little faster, and he used a different patch. 

Jan frequently reused Memorymoog sequences in various cues with different sounds/tempos (i. e., the cues mentioned above, Candy In the Alley/Fight on the Boat, Southern Law Enforcement/Surveillance, etc.). It was a convenient way to cut down on sequencing time with the frantic workload he had. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 9:03 AM, RedDragon86 said:

I agree, real heartbreaking what happened to Angelina; total & complete collateral damage, nothing was what she thought it was, and too short a life. Very sad; more of that pathos done Vice-style.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2022 at 12:04 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Very well put! I agree, that it seemed like innocent people tended to get hurt, or killed, when spending too much time around Crockett and Tubbs. I guess that was supposedly one of the ‘negatives’ of the job. :o 

However, when it came to poor Angelina, her own family ultimately caused her hurt (emotional in this 2-part episode) & eventually her demise (death in “Sons & Lovers”). Whether she had ever gotten into a relationship with Tubbs or not, it was most likely inevitable that sooner or later her father’s business would be his downfall & her psycho half-brother would eventually get rid of her to take over the family empire for himself. In a bizarre sense, Tubbs was just as much of a victim as Angelina...and the perpetrator? The Calderone drug empire!

I never cared much for Angelina, or Caitlin for Crockett, but their deaths were very tragic & sad. ;( It would have been very ‘wild’ & interesting if they had killed off Brenda in “Nobody Lives Forever”...as she was probably my least favorite of Sonny’s girlfriends/relationships (however, the girlfriend that OD’d because she was a ‘mule’—Sarah??—runs a darn close second to bring my least favorite too). :p

I know there are those who would disagree...but (pretending MV world was real) I still say the only relationship for Crockett that had the best chance of ‘surviving’ was Gina. She not only understood the job and its demands & dangers...she had to perform & participate in them herself! She “got” it. But, we can thank new writers for abandoning C&G. :evil: 

For Tubbs, as much of a ‘forced/rushed’ disappointing episode that “Afternoon Plane” was (it could’ve & should’ve been so much better) I still liked the character of Alicia Austin for him. She should have shown up more often...forget toxic whack-job Val. ;) 

I couldn't get too worked up for Sara Davis, although I love 'Yankee Dollar' and think of the episode often; her demise set up the events of the episode, so I am pleased with her contribution, but we didn't get to know much about her. Definitely, I'm all for Alicia Austin; I'm team Alicia Austin all the way & all day! Valerie, take a seat, Alicia Austin's at the wheel, and it's about to get wheel good (and cheesy, if I have anything to do with it:))!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I couldn't get too worked up for Sara Davis, although I love 'Yankee Dollar' and think of the episode often; her demise set up the events of the episode, so I am pleased with her contribution, but we didn't get to know much about her. Definitely, I'm all for Alicia Austin; I'm team Alicia Austin all the way & all day! Valerie, take a seat, Alicia Austin's at the wheel, and it's about to get wheel good (and cheesy, if I have anything to do with it:))!

Yeah, Sara did not seem like a girl Crockett would go for or be involved with...the girl who played Sara looked like a naive 20yr old (trying to be with a 35yr old) & possibly miscast. But, I totally agree with what you said...she was just to help ‘stage’ or set up the events of the episode. Her small contribution at the beginning worked for what it was, I guess...as yes, I LOVE the episode “Yankee Dollar” overall! :thumbsup: 

As for Alicia Austin, Lol, yes she was a beautiful & intelligent character...definitely one who should have been recurring from then on out! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, Sara did not seem like a girl Crockett would go for or be involved with...the girl who played Sara looked like a naive 20yr old (trying to be with a 35yr old) & possibly miscast. But, I totally agree with what you said...she was just to help ‘stage’ or set up the events of the episode. Her small contribution at the beginning worked for what it was, I guess...as yes, I LOVE the episode “Yankee Dollar” overall! :thumbsup: 

As for Alicia Austin, Lol, yes she was a beautiful & intelligent character...definitely one who should have been recurring from then on out! 

I definitely think Alicia Austin was one of the best female characters during the show's run; I have to believe that more of Alicia would've been a positive thing!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...