The Big Thaw

miamijimf

Posted 5 Oct 2009, 02:24 PM, by Richie Rich What place and what episode?Eingefügtes BildPosted 6 Oct 2009, 11:15 AM by by nofretz my second guess would be where izzy meets the asians for "the big thaw".Posted 6 Oct 2009, 11:15 AM, by Richie Rich The location is the No Name Harbor, which I had thought was the pier used in Line of Fire, but that is wrong. Jimbo's was used for the Line of Fire pier shootout, and No Name Harbor was used for The Big Thaw. Again, I will let Dan check my facts on this, and correct me if I have goofed. Timm - Dan knows about locations for The Big Thaw, including locations other than No Name Harbor (traffic jam location included, as we were at that location last month). Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildhttp://www.key-biscayne.com/kb/capeflorida/nonameharbor/rules.shtmlPosted 6 Oct 2009, 12:02 PM by Matt5That's interesting about "The Big Thaw" I didnt know they filmed that scene at No Name Harbor. Talking of "The Big Thaw" I recently tried to find the building used by Izzy and the scientists throughout the episode. I believe its up near the studio on Biscayne Bvld, it looks like a disused school or nursing home of somekind named "The Fountain of Youth" - they filmed an Izzy traffic segment at 12101(Biscayne/Ne121st) Biscayne Bvld, North Miami opposite Steve' s Pizza ( still there today!) and this location is real near the studio. Posted 6 Oct 2009, 12:20 PM by Richie Rich Thank DanJ for that, as he is the expert that I rely on for that type of info. A veritable fountain of MV location info, I tell 'ya. Thanks for that location info, Matt. I remember looking across the street and seeing Steve's Pizza. Looks like we are gathering what is needed to add that location info for the glossary for The Big Thaw. Posted 6 Oct 2009, 01:00 PM by airtommy I think the scene in The Big Thaw was filmed at Jimbo's, but I'm not sure. C&T come racing into the harbor pretty fast. Wouldn't it be hard for the boat to get up to speed in that tiny harbor?No Name Harbor is where Castillo swoops down in Airwolf to nab Conan O'Brien (lol) in "When Irish Eyes Are Crying". I also thought the harbor was used in "Line of Fire".

I just watched "The Big Thaw" all the way through, getting screen captures as I went. One scene shows C&T in the Testarossa, cruising on the Rickenbacker Causeway. It could be stock footage, but this happens to be on the way to Bill Baggs State Park, where No Name Harbor is at (As well as the Cape Florida Lighthouse, which was seen in "Hit List.").Screen shots from the end of the episode confirm No Name Harbor in my mind. It looked different than it does today. The restaurant which stands there today is not seen in this episode. But I see plenty of shots that could be easily be lined up today.Next time I'm out there, whether by myself or with other Vicers, matching photos will be taken.

Based on observations made tonight while watching this episode, here is a satellite view of NO Name Harbor. X marks the spot where IMO the final scene takes place.Eingefügtes Bild

More location discussion on this episode very soon.SPIDEY SENSE TINGLING DEPT. Did anyone notice that Doc Ock was in this episode? Alfred Molina, also known for his appearance in "Raiders Of The Lost Ark," played Esther's attorney.

Based on observations made tonight while watching this episode' date=' here is a satellite view of NO Name Harbor. X marks the spot where IMO the final scene takes place.[/quote']Hmm - I know we did not walk that far down the seawall. We went about as far as those 2 docked boats. I would have walked further, knowing that might have been the coffin drop scene. Next time (after a couple of Presidentes at the bar) :cheers: .

I just watched the scene and I don't know why I thought Jimbo's. That would be impossible since we can see the ocean behind the Japanese guys at one point.Hey Dan, do you remember a Lindsley Lumber on Biscayne anywhere back in the day? They drive by it in one of the driving scenes.

Airtommy, I have been trying for some time now to ascertain the location of that Lindsley Lumber (Or is it Lindsley Home Center?) building. Numerous Google searches point me to Lindsley locations in South Miami and in North Miami around NW 27th Avenue and 180th Street, but none along the Biscayne corridor.I am appealing to all you location hunters to help out on this one. If we can track down where this Lindsley Lumber was at, we might just be a step closer to finding the cryogenics lab building (Which I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't exist today.).Meanwhile, below is a Bird's Eye View of the intersection where Izzy gets "...stuck in traffic on US-1..." according to Trudy if I remember the dialog correctly. This view is looking eastbound. The legend below explains the markings:Eingefügtes BildX = Izzy and black sedanX = Steve's Pizza (This is the second pizzeria that all Vicers must make it a point to visit. The first is Flora's Eastside Pizza on NE 79th Street, near Biscayne Boulevard.)X = Denny's restaurantX = Phat Video from "Bad Boys II" This was Mars Music when they filmed there. That store is gone, replaced by Ross Dress For Less. Unfortunately, the front of the building was remodeled by Ross and no longer resembles the entrance to Phat Video. I worked at that Mars until they went out of business, and remember the BBII crew coming in and turning the recording department into a video department.

Great stuff Dan but on my commputer, and probably others, it doesn't show the colors of the Xs in the key at bottom. Wish I had taken a pic when we were there.I asked some of my friends who live there if they remember that Lindsley.

Jim, I'm sure we'll have plenty more opportunities to get get that picture of the Izzy intersection!Hopefully you or someone else can track down that Lindsley store. As I mentioned above, I've given it a go but so far have struck out. In the scene as they drive down the street, there are one or two tall buildings visible through the windshield of the Caddy. Maybe someone recognizes those and where they are/were?As far as the colors on the legend, maybe you have formatting codes or some such thing turned off on your computer? Anyway, here's an update:Red X = Izzy and black sedanYellow X = Steve's PizzaGreen X = Denny's restaurantBlue X = Phat Video electronics store from "Bad Boys II"

I see the colors of the x's fine. What browser are you using? In that same scene, when the camera shows Izzy from the side, we are looking north and we can see the "Best Western" sign in the background and that hotel is still there. It would be tough to read the sign unless you know that's what it says.=====================================I also saw those Google hits for Lindsley on the southside. It is conceivable that the Fountain of Youth was on the southside, though it doesn't "feel" right.The Fountain of Youth building is probably gone now. The key to finding this location: that gray ~12-story high-rise in the background when C&T drive away from the nursing home and Izzy is left standing there. Also, you can see in that scene that the main road is diagonal, and the road in front of the nursing home veers right rather than intersect with the main road. Also, in the last few frames, are those white lines in the road or are they old RR tracks???The main road could be either Biscayne Blvd (I'm not sure if the angle is sharp enough) or W Dixie Hwy near the studio, or S Dixie Hwy near Coral Gables. I scanned all over for that gray building but I can't find anything.

Great stuff Dan but on my commputer' date=' and probably others, it doesn't show the colors of the Xs in the key at bottom. Wish I had taken a pic when we were there.I asked some of my friends who live there if they remember that Lindsley.[/quote']I believe I might have taken a pic of that road. We stopped the vehicle there & Dan pointed to the area. I'll resize pic & upload it onto site tonight so you can check it out.

• 6 months later...

Episode 74 - The Big ThawOkay let's get right to it. There are some locations here which are already known:Final scene: No Name HarborIzzy Stuck In Traffic: Biscayne Boulevard at 121st Street, one block from Greenwich Studios. Vicers visiting Miami should stop at Steve's Pizza, on the corner, visible in the scene, for a slice - it's pretty good IMO. I used to work in the shopping center next door to it and we would often have lunch there.Other scenes are yet to be sussed out. The one that's giving me fits is the Cryogenics Lab and street they drive the Cadi down when returning the scientist guy back to the lab. At one point in the driving scene we see a Lindsley Home Center store. If we can find this location, we might be able to pinpoint the Cryo lab.After some researching, I am beginning to formulate an opinion that the Cryo lab and the street they drive might not be in Dade County. What's more, the building for the Cryo lab may not exist any more, judging by the run down state of it in this episode.Okay, campers, I need help on this one. Any ideas?

You got airtommy and I interested in this one. I did reference requests with the Miami Dade Public Library for "The Fountain of Youth Nursing Home" in case it was the real name of the place and the addresses of Lindsley Lumbers in 1987. A lead may turn up. We can pat ourselves on the back if we find this one, its tough.

The search for the Cryo lab continues. Meanwhile, I'm watching this episode on DVD and spotted a reused location. At 20:21 C&T meet at an outdoor cafe. It's the same cafe from "Killshot" where Crockett pulls up in the Testarossa, walks up to the counter and orders "Un cafecito por favor."The place is called La Libertad and it is on West Flagler Street and NW 7th Avenue. It's still there but it has been repainted and remodeled a bit. The link below should take you to a Bing Maps Birds Eye View of this location:http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=n8w2cm89gj7d&scene=35300935&lvl=2&sty=b

You got airtommy and I interested in this one. I did reference requests with the Miami Dade Public Library for "The Fountain of Youth Nursing Home" in case it was the real name of the place and the addresses of Lindsley Lumbers in 1987. A lead may turn up. We can pat ourselves on the back if we find this one' date=' its tough.[/quote']Another lead for the Lab is the highrise in the b/g seen at one stage in the episode - I was thinking North Miami and off Biscayne Bvld - they filmed Izzy in the car scene near the studio so it could be in that same area.?:D

Another lead for the Lab is the highrise in the b/g seen at one stage in the episode - I was thinking North Miami and off Biscayne Bvld - they filmed Izzy in the car scene near the studio so it could be in that same area.?:D

Matt is this the highrise you are thinking about- the tall building seen through the windshield? This is a driving scene as C&T are supposedly driving Frobel from the Lab. They have just passed the Lindsley on the left.Eingefügtes Bild

No, I think Matt means the scene where C&T drive away from the Cryo lab while Izzy stands there. There is a ~12-story high-rise very near by. I've searched high and low but can't find it.

No' date=' I think Matt means the scene where C&T drive away from the Cryo lab while Izzy stands there. There is a ~12-story high-rise very near by. I've searched high and low but can't find it.[/quote']Yes , that' s the scene I meant where C&T drive away from the Cyro lab - there is a distinctive high rise off in the b/g . This area seems to cry out North Miami .:confused::D

MiamiJim, Matt5, & AirTommy....I believe the High Rise that you are referring to is the one immediately seen after Tubbs & Sonny get in the Caddy & Crockett pulls the scientist by his shirt into the car. Izzy is seen starting to run after the caddy.On Hulu.com....this particular scene can be viewed at 9:54 to 10:05min into the episode.Hope this helps!!!!http://www.hulu.com/watch/51398/miami-vice-the-big-thaw#x-0,vepisode,1,0

Matt- I get the same feeling about the area.Maria- You are right' date=' thanks.[/quote']You're Welcome MiamiJim. I have been scanning that particular scene, to see if maybe there was some other clue (like a street sign) that might help to pinpoint the actual area a bit more. But have come up with nothing so far.:(Maybe our Experts can Screen Capture that particular scene & blow it up a bit. It's worth a try at least.

DanJ has discovered a location and posted it in the Location Trivia thread:C&T drive Frobel to the Fountain of Youth (DVD time 13:01-1310)Eingefügtes BildThey drive northbound on SW 27th Ave in Coconut Grove. They drive by a Lindsley Home Center, which was located at 2160 SW 27th Ave. That store has now been replace by Big Lots.Google Street View link