The Big Thaw

miamijimf

Eingefügtes Bild We found it!A retired Miami Beach policeman identified the background high rise in the following screen cap as the Miami Beach Housing Authority Building. Eingefügtes BildIt matches this recent Google Maps shot.Eingefügtes BildIn the screen cap as the Caddy leaves the "Lab" it is headed out to Alton Road when it was two lane. The building was South Beach Elementary and the space is now occupied by South Pointe Elementary (address 1050 4th Street' date=' Miami Beach). I spoke to a teacher who has been at South Pointe Elementary for years. She said in the 80s the neighborhood went to hell, crack etc and there were not enough kids to keep the original elementary open. The building was named South Beach Elementary because of its geographic location. In the old days there were three Beach elementaries, North, Central, and South. According to the teacher, "The new elementary sits on the foundation of the old building." That area used to be called South Shore and only the beach itself below the fishing pier was called South Beach. It's interesting to note that Charlie_Glide was right when he surmised that it was close to the water and that it was a bay. Also DanJ's estimate of the location was only a few miles off.This makes the point- "Never give up."[/quote']AWESOME!!! :thumbsup: Again, I love old buildings, especially old schools, and this one in "Big Thaw" was always one I wanted to know more about. Like we all said before, never give up and someone out there knows the info we were looking for. Not only did we figure out what the highrise in the background was...we also found out most of the info we wanted about the old school used as "The Lab." I say thank you so much to the retired cop and the teacher for all their info in solving this mystery--this "frozen" mystery finally got "thawed!" :p

• 4 months later...

Okay, it's been quite a while since I last posted in this thread...but the other day I came upon and explored an old abandoned high school that made me think again of this old elementary school in "Big Thaw."The school I found had been abandoned for many years and is falling in. This old school that was used in the "MV" episode had also been abandoned for years by the time it was filmed in...although not necessarily "falling in" that we could tell. However, in miamijimf's original post it was stated that the teacher said that she thought the school closed in the 80's. The "MV" episode was filmed there in the 80's...and the school looked to have been abandoned much longer than just a few years. However, I guess it could have closed in 80 or 81, and "The Big Thaw" wasn't filmed there till 87...but that old school looked to have been closed much longer than just 6 or 7 years. Then again, in a bad, drug-infested, gang part of Miami (at least back then) I guess an abandoned building could go "south" much faster than usual, especially if homeless people or drug dealers had used it for "squatting" or other activities??

• 1 year later...

Watched this episode this Evening - and also noticed they used Odette's house from "Bought and Paid For" in Coconut Grove again briefly which they had used 2 years earlier ( Porch/ Front exterior and back area also ) .:D

• Like 1

Watched this episode this Evening - and also noticed they used Odette's house from "Bought and Paid For" in Coconut Grove again briefly which they had used 2 years earlier ( Porch/ Front exterior and back area also ) .:D

Good find.

Good find.

Thanks Jim - quite good locations in this episode - and the end Japanese / Izzy scene shot at No Name Harbor .This episode feels like a Summer 1987 episode which it was - Sonny's t shirts getting a bit bizarre though :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jim - quite good locations in this episode - and the end Japanese / Izzy scene shot at No Name Harbor .This episode feels like a Summer 1987 episode which it was - Sonny's t shirts getting a bit bizarre though :D

I have just published this episode on my location site. :clap: Now on to ep. 73, Child's Play.
  • Like 1

I have just published this episode on my location site. :clap: Now on to ep. 73' date=' Child's Play.[/quote']Fantastic SoflaJeremy / Charlie - welcome back :thumbsup::thumbsup:Im heading to Miami at the end of the month and look forward to checking out some of these locations.:D

Great Charlie' date=' glad to see your posts again. :thumbsup:[/quote']I agree - great to have him back - some quite good locations in "The Big Thaw" :D

• 4 months later...

Just watched this one again last night. It's goofball I know, but I still like it. It makes me laugh and it's a "lighter" episode than most. :)The music, What is Life by Black Uhurh, is superb and I still love the old abandoned South Beach Elementary School, set up as supposedly an abandoned nursing home, as the "lab". Why they wanted to make it out to be an abandoned nursing home is beyond me...why couldn't they just use it for what it was...and abandoned school? Oh well...great location, lighting, music, and humorous episode! :D

What is Life by Black Uhurh, is superb and I still love the old abandoned South Beach Elementary School, set up as supposedly an abandoned nursing home, as the "lab". Why they wanted to make it out to be an abandoned nursing home is beyond me...why couldn't they just use it for what it was...and abandoned school? Oh well...great location, lighting, music, and humorous episode! :D

Fun episode to try to make MV a little more light hearted and less violent . Great music and locations - I visited the location on Alton Road in Miami Beach in 2011 although the original building has changed somewhat there is a school on this site and the background building on Alton Road remains .:thumbsup::D

Fun episode to try to make MV a little more light hearted and less violent . Great music and locations - I visited the location on Alton Road in Miami Beach in 2011 although the original building has changed somewhat there is a school on this site and the background building on Alton Road remains .:thumbsup::D

Fun episode. The original building doesn't exist anymore. The Vice set designers did a great job with the "Fountain of Youth Nursing Home" sign. It looked so real we were searching for nursing homes in South Florida.

Good to see so many others like this episode. I'm a big collector of reggae music, and have always enjoyed it, but many people have listed it as one of the worst episodes of the whole series! I never understood it. Look at the ratings in the DVD episodes section and over 60% rated it 4 or worse, including a bunch who gave it 1. I don't think it's brilliant by any means, but I think it's still pretty entertaining.

Fun episode. The original building doesn't exist anymore. The Vice set designers did a great job with the "Fountain of Youth Nursing Home" sign. It looked so real we were searching for nursing homes in South Florida.
Yeah' date=' the abandoned school used in the episode was eventually torn down and a new school was built on the original foundation. The "Fountain of Youth" sign was a nice touch...and looked real! I'm still not sure why they had to make the old school supposedly an old nursing home instead? :rolleyes: It doesn't really make sense. But, I'm just glad the building and what it was, was eventually found. :thumbsup:
Good to see so many others like this episode. I'm a big collector of reggae music' date=' and have always enjoyed it, but many people have listed it as one of the worst episodes of the whole series! I never understood it. Look at the ratings in the DVD episodes section and over 60% rated it 4 or worse, including a bunch who gave it 1. I don't think it's brilliant by any means, but I think it's still pretty entertaining.[/quote']Yeah, I can see why some might really dislike this episode. But, there are several aspects that make it humorous and even "fun" to watch (some listed here, and others I mentioned in the actual "Big Thaw" season 4 DVD set thread). It is definitely not "brilliant" for sure :) ...but it is entertaining and enjoyable. :thumbsup: "Missing Hours", "Cows of October", "Viking Bikers From Hell", and "Everybody's In Showbiz" are worse episodes than "Thaw". ;)

• 2 years later...

In the 29th minute, we see 3 clips of C&T driving.  The 1st & 3rd clips are exterior shots of the Testarossa identified by CGlide as southbound on Collins at Haulover Marina.  The middle clip is an interior shot.  We see water next to the road and houses across the water.  I thought this was on Collins / Indian Creek and would be a really easy find.

Bigthaw1.png   Bigthaw2.png

Bigthaw3.png   Bigthaw4.png

I searched Collins for two days but couldn't find it.  I looked at MacArthur Causeway / Palm Island but still came up empty.  Back to Collins, still nothing.  Then I remembered that in "Smuggler's Blues" they show us a great aerial view of 1980s Palm Island when they fly back into Miami:

Bigthaw5.png

Bingo!!!  By the way, the first house on the left is the one used in "The Home Invaders".

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 4

On 1/23/2016 at 4:49 AM, airtommy said:

In the 29th minute, we see 3 clips of C&T driving.  The 1st & 3rd clips are exterior shots of the Testarossa identified by CGlide as southbound on Collins at Haulover Marina.  The middle clip is an interior shot.  We see water next to the road and houses across the water.  I thought this was on Collins / Indian Creek and would be a really easy find.

Bigthaw1.png  Bigthaw2.png

Bigthaw3.png  Bigthaw4.png

I searched Collins for two days but couldn't find it.  I looked at MacArthur Casueway / Palm Island but still came up empty.  Back to Collins, still nothing.  Then I remembered that in "Smuggler's Blues" they show us a great aerial view of 1980s Palm Island when they fly back into Miami:

Bigthaw5.png

Bingo!!!  By the way, the first house on the left is the one used in "The Home Invaders".

Great work !

Shot on the Macarthur Cswy heading to Miami Beach - really nice !!

• 8 months later...

Some nice different Ferrari Testarossa daytime shots in this episode at Haulover Park Marina at Bal Harbor and later on the 27 ( seen in "Stones War"). I noticed a lot of this episode was filmed in the daytime whereas "Death and the Lady" and "Child's Play" which aired either side of "The Big Thaw" were quite dark episodes/ nite based:D

This is Collins Avenue at Haulover Park Marina from a 2104 trip where the Testarossa was heading south

362_zpskp2oudca.jpg

Another shot from Haulover Park at Bal Harbor looking Northbound ( I believe we saw this stretch of highway again in "Rock and a Hard Place" ):D

72a786e6-cbb1-49a0-83b2-6ff9ebe74583_zps

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

The music video which is shown at the OCB as evidence in this episode featuring the frozen reggae singer set to “What is Life” was shot on the beach opposite 3rd street and Majory Stoneman Douglas Park it appears - I managed to match up the white long building in the picture on 3rd and Ocean Drive - what do you all think ?!:hippie:

596FD781-0C42-42D4-879E-2CE9885623CE.jpeg

BDF3F68F-15BD-412E-8C72-98BFDE552612.jpeg

37BEA5AD-3CE5-4C57-8FCF-4641CC3CC5D7.jpeg

• Like 1

It appears the shot was on the beach spanning from around 3rd/4th  Street South. ( In the second picture the long white building with a plain white pillar at the beach end of the building is the key building and the smaller building actually on Ocean Drive and 3rd is still the same today)

.https://binged.it/2JNv15v

I think it's a fit. But tough to compare the buildings in that area as there have been lots of changes since then.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

I think it's a fit. But tough to compare the buildings in that area as there have been lots of changes since then.

Thanks Tom I was going to ask your opinion - the key is the white long building which fits. But yes difficult as a lot of changes there since 1987.

• Like 1