No Exit

miamijimf

I got a pretty good start on my SketchUp model of the Pink House this week.  I’ll post some pictures soon.

I’ve already noticed in comparing older photos to current images on Google Earth and the like, that a few alterations have been made.  It’s mostly been to the landscape, which is much more lush now, with more planting beds around the perimeter.  There is also an elevator tower that has been installed on the south side of the house!  

Laurinda Spear, the architect, used a very geometric system in the layout.  The main block is actually quite a symmetrical structure in plan, with several areas pushed and pulled from a six-bay overall layout.  It’s quite a large house for just her parents, over 6500 square feet.  They sold it in 1990, I think it was.

The exterior paint scheme is really clever also, with walls oriented east-west all being white, and those oriented north-south being being painted the various shades of pink.  There are basically six different wall planes oriented north-south, each with an increasingly deeper tint, from the bay to the street, culminating in the red color to the left of the entrance façade.    

The most difficult part about the color is establishing the six pink tints.  Different photos show quite different hues, depending on the sun and angle.

• Like 2

Here are a few 2D exports of the exterior massing and basic colors and textures.  I haven’t done any window or door detailing, other than the glass block.

71330FDC-255B-4E65-8288-B98059733787.jpeg

E8A68632-1C95-4A58-BABC-B845A819AA30.jpeg

76BA63DF-E7D8-467C-9ACD-55F6E0461864.jpeg

• Like 2

Here are two sections showing the first two floors and a top view of the whole property.  There is a complete basement under the first floor including a two car garage to the right of the front façade.  The staircase to the right leads both up to the second floor and down to the basement and garage.  The left staircase has a powder room under it.  The first floor was required to be elevated 11 feet above grade to meet flood code. The structure is only about a dozen feet from the sea wall at its nearest point.

AC346022-C9D7-472B-AC4C-B2982DE5A13F.jpeg

A5A2915C-9D8E-4FB1-AE40-E37810DE03B8.jpeg

The axial symmetry can be seen more clearly in the property image.

74717793-4FAE-4BE3-A94B-BC1B18164B97.jpeg

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 4