Episode #4 "Hit List"

Ferrariman

Agree BlackJack, the fight in the club is great, as is the whole episode. One of my favourites too. This puts me in the mood to watch the whole of series one again now. :D

• 1 year later...

titled episodes--sometimes called "The Hit List" and "Calderone's Demise." I don't know if this was done later for syndication?? Anyway' date=' I combine both episodes and personally view them as the originally aired 2-part "Calderone's Return.""Calderone's Return"-PT. 1 (aka "Hit List"--and along with PT. 2--aka "Calderone's Demise") is my favorite episode/s of first season...and 2 of my all-time favorite of the whole series!!You have to have the "Pilot" to truly understand "Calderone's Return" but "Return" just exploded with action, music, fashion, plot, more depth of the characters, it just was superb!! This was also Gregory Sierra's (Lt. Rodriquez's demise--sad and I really liked him too--but I also loved that this opened the door for when Castillo comes in and really helped bring things together!I can watch the 2-part "Calderone's Return" over and over...and hardly ever really get tired of it! [b']It was just some of those select or "special" episodes that truly defined "Miami Vice!" Superb--and I gave this a 10!! :thumbsup:

This was my original statement about this episode/s. I still stand by it! I truly LOVE this 2-part episode, and it's not only my favorite episode/s of first season...but possibly of the series! :thumbsup: There are "tons" of awesome and superb episodes throughout the series...but to me there's just something about the "Calderone's Return" 2-parter that sets them above most of the rest. There was everything--from music, fashion, action, plotline (the Calderone saga), the sad death of Lt. Rodriquez, the introduction to Crockett's Theme, action, superb filming locations, etc... The 2nd part also first introduced us to the version of the "MV" theme song that has forever been implemented into iconic TV history. :clap:As stated before...I can watch the "Calderone's Return" 2-parter over and over...and again have already watched both twice, :) Superb, superb episodes!! :cool:

• 1 year later...

Calderone's Return (Part I): The Hit List (1984)

After the forgettable episode Cool Runnin' Miami Vice hits straight back with another classic episode, as Sonny Crockett's life suddenly are in the hands of an invisible enemy who seems to stop at nothing to get the job done.

There are many great scenes here but my favorite has to be when Crockett and Tubbs are taking a walk and as Sonny tries to play down the scare factor an older man appear from behind only trying to tell Sonny that he lost his smoke package.

Knowing that his boss is fighting for his life in the hospital and that his family are in danger, Sonny loses it and takes no chances as he pulls out the gun only to reveal how desperate the situation has become.

Jim Zubiena steals the show here, and has to be one of the the most brutal and cold hearted villains to ever hit Miami Vice.

His character never shows any sign of mercy or regret as he takes out his victims in the blink of an eye and then walks away from it like its just another ordinary job that is done.

But what got me was the he had planned to take out not only Sonny but his family and even when he knew there were no chance of getting away he takes on the entire police force.

9/10

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

There is one word for this episode:perfection.

As with the Pilot, everything about it is just awesome. The ending with In The Night playing is epic. Love the sparks. I liked Rodriguez but he doesn't hold a candle to Castillo. I love the scenery too. The nightclub sequence is classic Michael Mann.

I can't find any flaws apart from the Argentinian's rifle not making any holes during the shootout with Crockett. But it doesn't matter.

10/10

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Remington said:

There is one word for this episode:perfection.

As with the Pilot, everything about it is just awesome. The ending with In The Night playing is epic. Love the sparks. I liked Rodriguez but he doesn't hold a candle to Castillo. I love the scenery too. The nightclub sequence is classic Michael Mann.

I can't find any flaws apart from the Argentinian's rifle not making any holes during the shootout with Crockett. But it doesn't matter.

10/10

Amen...no flaws...just MV perfection!! :thumbsup: This and the 2nd part, Calderone's Demise, are my all-time favorite episode/s!! The sizzling action, gritty characterization, colors, cinematography, complex & in-depth plot, music, etc...all make it superb MV in my opinion! :D

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just got the blu rays and am looking at various episodes just to check the quality. Had to look at a second of this one. I watched this when part 1 & 2 aired back to back one Friday. Probably April of 85. I'd only seen a few shows at that point & was really getting hooked.

This episode is classic but a few things hurt it for me. The silly brawl at the club puzzles me. I can see that happening in a lighter episode but you've established a certain tone by the point it happens. You've got a hit man killing dealers & Crockett is in danger. This cartoon fight just doesn't work. I like the humor in the show but not here. 

Secondly, there's some poor acting in three scenes. When Tubbs is yelling at Crockett to stay where he'll be safe, the delivery is just too over the top. PMT improved lot during the series & might've played the scene differently later. He was never bad but over acted in a few scenes early on. The same over the top acting pops up again when Tubbs is questioning Mendez. I get they were going for intense but both actors just seem off to me.  Finally there's the ending. Tubbs is on the phone having a relaxed conversation when he gets the news Rodriguez has died. This I blame more on the director. Tubbs shouldn't have gone from "yeah I'm glad he did that" to "what?  Rodriguez just died."  Just poor setup there. Then the reaction shots aren't great. Gina is perfect & Sonny but everybody else is off. I need to actually watch the episode again.  Maybe it's not as bad as I remembered.  (One more hit me.  The cop who discovers the first "hit" early on, his delivery is also over the top to me. The "You stand right there!" guy. Director should've had him dial it down some.  He's not bad but again it's the delivery.  All the acting issues can probably be attributed to time limitations.  They probably didn't have time to go through multiple takes of a scene )

Those few bad moments knock my rating down to a 8 out of 10. That may change when I watch it again though. Great action. The Hitman was awesome.  Great music. Some iconic images too. 

Edited by Noggie
  • Like 2

Sorry, Noggie...but this and part 2 are my all-time favorite episode/s! ;) They pretty much "defined" the series, in my opinion. :thumbsup: But it's interesting reading other's opinions. :D

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, APalFromHawaii said:

Perfect episode, nothing more to say. I really like the scenes with the Armstrong guy. ;( Also a little sad, crockett's family leaves miami...

Yes a great episode :hippie:

• 7 months later...

I recently watched this again the other night...as I’ve stated many times before, this and the 2nd part (Calderone’s Demise) are my all-time favorite episode/s! However, I noticed something that in all the “million” times I’ve watched this, I’ve never noticed before. :baby: 

Perhaps this has been brought up or mentioned in the past, and this is a minor unimportant scene, but towards the beginning when Sonny & Caroline decide to not get divorced and try again, and they’re leaving the court house, they pass a patrol officer on horseback. The part I’ve never noticed before was, Caroline just reaches out and smacks the horse on its butt. :eek:

I didn’t think you were supposed to do that...as it might take off, lol! I wouldn’t think the officer would like that either. I know this is a trivial, unimportant detail...just thought it was odd, and I guess I’ve not paid good enough attention before to notice it. :p

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

I recently rewatched it for just a second time, there are many episodes I only watched once. It was better than I remember, and I already thought it was good! Is it me or does this one feel more cinematic than the rest? Poor guy at the beginning, Armstrong just smirks and pulls out his pistol...that bastard haha.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rattlehead said:

I recently rewatched it for just a second time, there are many episodes I only watched once. It was better than I remember, and I already thought it was good! Is it me or does this one feel more cinematic than the rest? Poor guy at the beginning, Armstrong just smirks and pulls out his pistol...that bastard haha.

Although I love many, this, along with Part II (Calderone’s Demise), are my all time favorite episode/s! I agree...this 2-parter was very cinematic compared to a lot of the others! Superb!! :thumbsup:

I actually thought there might be some hope for Sonny and Caroline and wondered how that dynamic would play out going forward.  Well I didn't have to worry about that for long.  Love the final shootout here too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bren10 said:

I actually thought there might be some hope for Sonny and Caroline and wondered how that dynamic would play out going forward.  Well I didn't have to worry about that for long.  Love the final shootout here too.

I thought there was hope for him and Caroline too...beginning cast promo photos included Caroline. But I figure either she wanted to not continue as a regular, or the writers wanted her out. 

• Like 1

I can't help but wonder how Lou would've developed had Sierra stayed on the show...any ideas? I feel the cultural aspects of Castillo were from EJO considering he had creative control of the character.

14 minutes ago, Rattlehead said:

I can't help but wonder how Lou would've developed had Sierra stayed on the show...any ideas? I feel the cultural aspects of Castillo were from EJO considering he had creative control of the character.

I’ve often wondered that myself...but I think after the pilot and beginning, writers/producers  knew they had something new and different. I liked Lou, but his character was still too old-school, and I might yell at Crockett some, but basically he’s my favorite so he can do whatever. I think they wanted to try something totally different...what if the boss, or lieutenant, isn’t your typical yeller but still a good-ol-boy...but quietly forceful & does NOT play favorites with anyone? Castillo was one the most interesting and captivating boss on a cop show. He fascinated you...yet scared the crap out of you too, lol! 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 9/30/2018 at 5:12 PM, Bren10 said:

I was watching Hit List today and just found this thread discussing the episode.

It interested me to see that some of you thought Sonny and Caroline might have had a future together. As sad as I was that they divorced, especially considering how much Crockett loved his kid, I don't think I ever thought they had a chance. In the pilot, Caroline tells him he wouldn't never have been happy with a normal job. She understood that being an undercover cop was in his blood! "You get high on the action." Caroline despised what Sonny had become. She was tired of worrying whether he would be killed or not, disgusted with his drinking and acting like a dealer for the sake of his job. But there was another thing she complained about in that conversation that  made me sit up and take notice and that was  "the women"!

How would she have even known he hung out with other women while he was posing as an underworld figure....Did he tell her about his cases? Did he "cheat" on her while he was under and she found out about it? It never struck me as a possibility he had been unfaithful, but if you get sucked under deep enough, maybe it's inevitable for some.

Look at Artie Rollins in Heart of Darkness. He had a wife who loved him but he had gotten himself in so deep, he didn't even know if he would be able to go back to her once the case was over. He actually introduced one of the women he was with as his "girlfriend"!

Crockett commiserated with Artie, was even willing to go out on a limb for him because he understood the temptations. Sonny had definitely struggled with some of them himself from time to time. But other women? If that was what happened while he was married to Caroline, there would have been no going back for either of them!

I think Sonny was most comfortable with the loose and free "partying" life style. Yeah, he talked like he yearned for stability, but with his type of personality, I think he would have been miserable.   He even made fun of the "white picket fence" kind of existence when he and Rico were fishing during the "To Have and To Hold" episode. Yeah, Caroline might have been "the one who got away", but would he have been willing to knuckle down and take a normal 9-5 job to keep her happy? 

"Naw!" as Rico and Sonny would probably say. :)

Any thoughts?

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

No, Sonny wouldn't have been happy with a regular job. I've gone into that elsewhere on here at length, mostly concerning his post-Freefall life. As for other women, Caroline isn't stupid so it would be implicit in what Sonny does for a living that he would be involved with other women for the sake of his undercover work. That is if she is fully informed about what his job actually is, which she seems to be. It would be an unreasonable and unrealistic expectation to expect Sonny to partake in every other "vice" while undercover except female liasons. That simply wouldn't work for his job. Regarding the marriage having hope, you have to remember if you were only watching the show for the first time back then you only had so much to go on up to Hit List and the show was leading you to believe that they could reconcile. Most of our character analysis here on this forum comes from hindsight after the show ended and everybody played out their arcs as well as multiple repeat viewings. We didn't have that in 84/85. A lot of other cops in other shows were horrible husbands but still managed to stay married, so why not Sonny? I think it's a testament to how good the writing was that they caused people to believe they had a chance for a moment.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Crockett commiserated with Artie, was even willing to go out on a limb for him because he understood the temptations. Sonny had definitely struggled with some of them himself from time to time. But other women? If that was what happened while he was married to Caroline, there would have been no going back for either of them!

I think Sonny was most comfortable with the loose and free "partying" life style. Yeah, he talked like he yearned for stability, but with his type of personality, I think he would have been miserable.   He even made fun of the "white picket fence" kind of existence when he and Rico were fishing during the "To Have and To Hold" episode. Yeah, Caroline might have been "the one who got away", but would he have been willing to knuckle down and take a normal 9-5 job to keep her happy? 

"Naw!" as Rico and Sonny would probably say. :)

Any thoughts?

I think it's quite possible that at the time Sonny and Caroline got married, neither of them anticipated the stresses and pressures of undercover work.  He wasn't even working undercover at that time, as far as (I think) we know.  I believe both of them went into married life with love for the other and full intentions of staying together forever.  They were young and both had stars in their eyes, as most young couples do.

However, his career led him quickly down a path of living a separate life for much of the time, and this was a path Caroline was not prepared to walk.  As time went on, Sonny enjoyed the challenges and the excitement of undercover life.  As this became his "normal", I tend to agree that he was more comfortable living a life without a permanent commitment.  We never saw any evidence that he actually cheated on Caroline, but I wouldn't be surprised if that had happened--even if "accidentally"--while he was undercover.  If she had found out about that, it could be the final straw.

I think he was sorry that the marriage broke down and sorry for the pain he put Caroline through, but he wasn't willing/able to make the changes that might have kept her with him.

And I don't think Sonny would have been satisfied with a "normal" 9-5 job.  He did like the adrenaline flow of undercover work. 

You have to, or they have to define what "cheating" actually is here. If Sonny has to sleep with or get close to someone to make a bust, is that cheating? In other words, look at all the episodes where things like that happened with him and imagine he was still married during those episodes. He still would have had to do those same things even if he was married. In Prodigal Son, for instance, getting involved with that woman actually saved his and Tubbs' life by getting information out of her. There was never a possibility of a real relationship with her, at least not from his end.

IMO Caroline would have felt it was cheating for Sonny to engage in a sexual relationship with another woman even if there was no emotional commitment.  She might have closed her mind or turned a blind eye for a short time when she first started to suspect, but I believe that eventually she would have felt cheated by the fact that Sonny was expending his time, his energy,  and his physical attentions elsewhere while she was home alone with Billy, being the understanding wife.  It was pretty evident in the beginning of the show that she could not count on him to be home for any occasion and that he felt it was unfair for her to expect that--because he was working, not out having fun.

So she should be understanding, but he didn't have to make any sacrifices with his job, in order to be with her.  Understanding that his work was important could only go so far.  

Don't get me wrong, I love Sonny.  But he was not a good husband and he lost Caroline because he didn't see a need to be there for her. 

Edited by vicegirl85

The point I'm making though is that it may be necessary for Sonny to engage in a sexual relationship to complete a case. Imagine him in a scenario close to Gina's in Give a Little. Would that be cheating? Or a part of the job?

It may be *necessary* and a part of the job--with no emotional commitment on his part--but I think his wife would still consider it cheating.

Maybe in my first comment I shouldn't have used the word, cheating.  However, IMO to most women, the act of sexual intimacy requires some degree of emotional commitment.  The fact that Sonny and Caroline were married might have meant that she expected him to be physically faithful to her, as she would be to him. 

In Sonny's mind, I am sure he wouldn't have considered an act of sexual intercourse with another woman (while working undercover) to be cheating on his wife, because he was doing it for the job and not because of an emotional commitment.  But I don't believe his wife would have seen it the same way.