Ferrariman

Episode #4 "Hit List"

deepundercover

Agree BlackJack, the fight in the club is great, as is the whole episode. One of my favourites too. This puts me in the mood to watch the whole of series one again now. :D

ViceFanMan

titled episodes--sometimes called "The Hit List" and "Calderone's Demise." I don't know if this was done later for syndication?? Anyway' date=' I combine both episodes and personally view them as the originally aired 2-part "Calderone's Return.""Calderone's Return"-PT. 1 (aka "Hit List"--and along with PT. 2--aka "Calderone's Demise") is my favorite episode/s of first season...and 2 of my all-time favorite of the whole series!!You have to have the "Pilot" to truly understand "Calderone's Return" but "Return" just exploded with action, music, fashion, plot, more depth of the characters, it just was superb!! This was also Gregory Sierra's (Lt. Rodriquez's demise--sad and I really liked him too--but I also loved that this opened the door for when Castillo comes in and really helped bring things together!I can watch the 2-part "Calderone's Return" over and over...and hardly ever really get tired of it! [b']It was just some of those select or "special" episodes that truly defined "Miami Vice!" Superb--and I gave this a 10!! :thumbsup:

This was my original statement about this episode/s. I still stand by it! I truly LOVE this 2-part episode, and it's not only my favorite episode/s of first season...but possibly of the series! :thumbsup: There are "tons" of awesome and superb episodes throughout the series...but to me there's just something about the "Calderone's Return" 2-parter that sets them above most of the rest. There was everything--from music, fashion, action, plotline (the Calderone saga), the sad death of Lt. Rodriquez, the introduction to Crockett's Theme, action, superb filming locations, etc... The 2nd part also first introduced us to the version of the "MV" theme song that has forever been implemented into iconic TV history. :clap:As stated before...I can watch the "Calderone's Return" 2-parter over and over...and again have already watched both twice, :) Superb, superb episodes!! :cool:

C Glide

One of the best. This is Vice.

ViceFanMan

One of the best. This is Vice.

Amen!! :thumbsup:

ArtieRollins

Calderone's Return (Part I): The Hit List (1984)

After the forgettable episode Cool Runnin' Miami Vice hits straight back with another classic episode, as Sonny Crockett's life suddenly are in the hands of an invisible enemy who seems to stop at nothing to get the job done.

There are many great scenes here but my favorite has to be when Crockett and Tubbs are taking a walk and as Sonny tries to play down the scare factor an older man appear from behind only trying to tell Sonny that he lost his smoke package.

Knowing that his boss is fighting for his life in the hospital and that his family are in danger, Sonny loses it and takes no chances as he pulls out the gun only to reveal how desperate the situation has become.

Jim Zubiena steals the show here, and has to be one of the the most brutal and cold hearted villains to ever hit Miami Vice.

His character never shows any sign of mercy or regret as he takes out his victims in the blink of an eye and then walks away from it like its just another ordinary job that is done.

But what got me was the he had planned to take out not only Sonny but his family and even when he knew there were no chance of getting away he takes on the entire police force.

9/10

• Like 1

Remington

There is one word for this episode:perfection.

As with the Pilot, everything about it is just awesome. The ending with In The Night playing is epic. Love the sparks. I liked Rodriguez but he doesn't hold a candle to Castillo. I love the scenery too. The nightclub sequence is classic Michael Mann.

I can't find any flaws apart from the Argentinian's rifle not making any holes during the shootout with Crockett. But it doesn't matter.

10/10

• Like 2

ViceFanMan
1 hour ago, Remington said:

There is one word for this episode:perfection.

As with the Pilot, everything about it is just awesome. The ending with In The Night playing is epic. Love the sparks. I liked Rodriguez but he doesn't hold a candle to Castillo. I love the scenery too. The nightclub sequence is classic Michael Mann.

I can't find any flaws apart from the Argentinian's rifle not making any holes during the shootout with Crockett. But it doesn't matter.

10/10

Amen...no flaws...just MV perfection!! :thumbsup: This and the 2nd part, Calderone's Demise, are my all-time favorite episode/s!! The sizzling action, gritty characterization, colors, cinematography, complex & in-depth plot, music, etc...all make it superb MV in my opinion! :D

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

Noggie

I just got the blu rays and am looking at various episodes just to check the quality. Had to look at a second of this one. I watched this when part 1 & 2 aired back to back one Friday. Probably April of 85. I'd only seen a few shows at that point & was really getting hooked.

This episode is classic but a few things hurt it for me. The silly brawl at the club puzzles me. I can see that happening in a lighter episode but you've established a certain tone by the point it happens. You've got a hit man killing dealers & Crockett is in danger. This cartoon fight just doesn't work. I like the humor in the show but not here. 

Secondly, there's some poor acting in three scenes. When Tubbs is yelling at Crockett to stay where he'll be safe, the delivery is just too over the top. PMT improved lot during the series & might've played the scene differently later. He was never bad but over acted in a few scenes early on. The same over the top acting pops up again when Tubbs is questioning Mendez. I get they were going for intense but both actors just seem off to me.  Finally there's the ending. Tubbs is on the phone having a relaxed conversation when he gets the news Rodriguez has died. This I blame more on the director. Tubbs shouldn't have gone from "yeah I'm glad he did that" to "what?  Rodriguez just died."  Just poor setup there. Then the reaction shots aren't great. Gina is perfect & Sonny but everybody else is off. I need to actually watch the episode again.  Maybe it's not as bad as I remembered.  (One more hit me.  The cop who discovers the first "hit" early on, his delivery is also over the top to me. The "You stand right there!" guy. Director should've had him dial it down some.  He's not bad but again it's the delivery.  All the acting issues can probably be attributed to time limitations.  They probably didn't have time to go through multiple takes of a scene )

Those few bad moments knock my rating down to a 8 out of 10. That may change when I watch it again though. Great action. The Hitman was awesome.  Great music. Some iconic images too. 

Edited by Noggie
  • Like 2

ViceFanMan

Sorry, Noggie...but this and part 2 are my all-time favorite episode/s! ;) They pretty much "defined" the series, in my opinion. :thumbsup: But it's interesting reading other's opinions. :D

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

APalFromHawaii

Perfect episode, nothing more to say. I really like the scenes with the Armstrong guy. ;( Also a little sad, crockett's family leaves miami...

• Like 1

Matt5
3 hours ago, APalFromHawaii said:

Perfect episode, nothing more to say. I really like the scenes with the Armstrong guy. ;( Also a little sad, crockett's family leaves miami...

Yes a great episode :hippie:

• Thanks 1