The maze Ocean terrace hotel

jpaul1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

#1.17Just watched this episode which aired in early 1985 and directed by Tim Zinnerman , son of seasoned director Fred Zinnerman . Tim Zinnerman's early work included being an assistant director on John Wayne's "The Cowboys " from the early 70s. Zinnerman directed only one episode of Miami Vice and went on to produce Arnold Swartzenneger in 1987s "The Running Man" .Jan Hammer's "Night Talk" appeared for the first time in the series which appeared in two episodes later in "Nobody Lives Forever " and then in the next Season in "Trust Fund Pirates". Lovely scene between DJ and John Diehl at the Ocb.:thumbsup::done::DNice locations shooting on primarily on Ocean Terrace / 74th Street in Miami Beach .The store scenes / fruit market scenes shot a few blocks away 7335-7331 Collins which I visited recently .Ocean Terrace replica shot where scene opens -http://goo.gl/maps/nDY27

As outlined in my previous post - The Blue Waters Hotel - the dive board can be seen throughout the episode. The Blue Waters also reappeared in "French Twist " from the Second Season . Unfortunately a few more of those properties on Ocean Terrace closed between 2006 -2013 I noticed on my recent visit there .http://www.flickr.com/photos/edge_and_corner_wear/5794714584/lightbox/:D:thumbsup:

As outlined in my previous post - The Blue Waters Hotel - the dive board can be seen throughout the episode. The Blue Waters also reappeared in "French Twist " from the Second Season . Unfortunately a few more of those properties on Ocean Terrace closed between 2006 -2013 I noticed on my recent visit there .http://www.flickr.com/photos/edge_and_corner_wear/5794714584/lightbox/:D:thumbsup:

Interesting collection of old hotel/motel pics in that link. The 50s were great.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

The location of the Maze's nightclub scene where C&T interrogate the Latin dancer Pepe has long been unknown.  But thanks to Rose, a totally reliable source who used to live in the area, it was filmed at the Façade, 3509 NE 163rd St. N. Miami Beach.  She remembers filming in the area and at the Blue Waters etc.  The nightclub is gone.  It makes sense being in the same general area.  Charlie has been notified.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

The location of the Maze's nightclub scene where C&T interrogate the Latin dancer Pepe has long been unknown.  But thanks to Rose, a totally reliable source who used to live in the area, it was filmed at the Façade, 3509 NE 163rd St. N. Miami Beach.  She remembers filming in the area and at the Blue Waters etc.  The nightclub is gone.  It makes sense being in the same general area.  Charlie has been notified.

Great. here is some background info on the club and some interior pictures. It closed in the early 90s and had a groundbreaking lighting equipment.

http://www.discomusic.com/clubs-more/12901_0_6_0_C/

• Like 2

Great. here is some background info on the club and some interior pictures. It closed in the early 90s and had a groundbreaking lighting equipment.

http://www.discomusic.com/clubs-more/12901_0_6_0_C/

Wow! The comments in that link are outstanding.  It feels like stepping into an episode of Vice with a bunch of odd and interesting characters living only in the night.  

I could see Izzy and Noogie fitting in very nicely at Facade.  In fact, I'm sure they went there while Vice was in production.

Ya great link Tom.  If you cursor down into the comments posted on that page you will see two more links to videos recorded at the Facade.  Here: https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=183568348351870

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-EVngCRffg    Truly 80s Miami.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

The link also confirms that the Facade had a black and white colored floor with square shaped tiles. That's exactly what we see in the toilet scene when Crockett and Tubbs question Pepe. With the pictures in the link we should be even able to pinpoit the exact location of the filming on the dancefloor for this ep.

• Like 2

I love that footage!  At about the 1:25 mark, I think that's footage from about 1988, judging by the Communards song.  Couple dudes dancing in their coats on the dance floor.  People dressed up back then.  We weren't always slobs.

Also, seeing how there was the use of old movie footage being played brought back some memories from my club going days.  That was a thing for quite a while in the clubs in LA and San Francisco (probably all over the place, but those were the cities I spend the most time in back in the day).

The first time I saw that done was in the Rob Lowe movie "Bad Influence."  Good movie, if you like modern noire.  It's got a Hitchcock "Strangers On a Train" vibe.  And it has a bit of a Vice feel here and there.

Anyways, thanks for posting that footage.  It's way cool and I felt like a club I would have gone to, wearing black trousers and a black colored shirt, hair done up right.  Man, I can smell it from here!

• Like 1

They don't really show us very much of the club in this scene.  When Sonny throws a drink at his shoes we see the dance floor.  It might be "terrazzo" (I had to Google Image Search that term), but it's not black and white.

Interiors definitely aren't my specialty.

I just checked with the ep. Hard to compare as they did a good job hiding where this was filmed. Either by coincidence or on purpose. used close ups only.

But after examining frame by frame I would say the place matches with the first interior picture in the link. the others seem to be from later point in time when the design has changed. In the ep we see some columns and mirrors hanging up on the walls and a waved shaped balcony pattern that look very similar to the colorful picture in the link. The floor in the ep is not black and white in the closeup of Pepe's shoes but it seems that they shot this scene on the edge of the dance floor. when Crockett and Tubbs enter the club and approach Pepe one can see the floor which rather looks like carpet to me. The floor and the walls of the toilet scene is a different story. black and white but with a crazy pattern.

Bottom line: no 100% identification but based on reliable source, proximity of location to others in this ep and the interior pic that looks similar I would say good enough (>90%).

What do you think?

I have updated my site with the info. :done:

I have been in that club one time but in the area of 2002-03 and it had been significantly remodeled so I did not recognize it as the Vice location.

Edited by C Glide
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Facade was not the night club seen in "The Maze".  The address of Facade is well documented as 3509 NE 163rd St.  The 1986 satellite pics show that the property had just been cleared for development, which means nothing was there in 1985 when they filmed "The Maze".

1986:  facade86.png.48a83a52052f12fd7115191aafde6e25.png

The yellow circled building is the only conceivable option in 1986.  By 1995 a completely different building was there, so the 1986 building must be something temporary for the construction workers.

2005:  facade05.png.e680845a0cf018a18d140c5c6771fb65.png

@C Glide

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, airtommy said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Facade was not the night club seen in "The Maze".  The address of Facade is well documented as 3509 NE 163rd St.  The 1986 satellite pics show that the property had just been cleared for development, which means nothing was there in 1985 when they filmed "The Maze".

The yellow circled building is the only conceivable option in 1986.  By 1995 a completely different building was there, so the 1986 building must be something temporary for the construction workers.

@C Glide

Interesting, so where was it filmed?

Am 23.1.2020 um 01:24 schrieb airtommy:

@C Glide

I don’t get the reason why this excludes the Facade. The episode was shot in Jan/February1985 and the sat pic where it’s gone is from 1986. this leaves one year in between and demolishing such a site does take a few weeks only.

i suspect something is wrong with the address. The link provided by me above (now unfortunately inoperative) led to information from local people attending that venue that the club closed in the early 90s. this contradicts the sat pic from 86!

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don’t get the reason why this excludes the Facade. The episode was shot in Jan/February1985 and the sat pic where it’s gone is from 1986. this leaves one year in between and demolishing such a site does take a few weeks only.

i suspect something is wrong with the address. The link provided by me above (now unfortunately inoperative) led to information from local people attending that venue that the club closed in the early 90s. this contradicts the sat pic from 86!

The lot looks like it hasn't even been paved yet in the 1986 pic, it's just dirt.  It looks like they had just cleared the land at that point.

It's possible Facade was at a different location originally and then moved to 3509 NE 163rd St.

Edited by airtommy

On 8/21/2015 at 9:44 AM, miamijimf said:

Ya great link Tom.  If you cursor down into the comments posted on that page you will see two more links to videos recorded at the Facade.  Here: https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=183568348351870

After the hot dog guy around 1:00 you get a nice long look at the parking lot.  Everything matches up perfectly with 3509 NE 163rd St.  You can even see 163rd Street splitting off into two separate bridges in the distance.  Facade was definitely at this address in 1991.  It's highly doubtful it was there in 1985.

• Like 1