Home Invaders

jpaul1

On 12/9/2015 at 12:10 AM, airtommy said:

As I look at this frame by frame, the number goes in and out of focus.  At times it looks like 13X, but at other times it looks like 53XX and even 83XX.  83XX would make the most sense, because then it could be very near the 8360 SW 114th Street house used earlier in this episode.  However, I think 53XX is the most likely address.  I played around with the exposure/brightness/contrast in two screen caps and came up with this:

Home_Inv8.png   Home_Inv9.png

If I had to guess, I would say 5340.  5340 N Bay Rd (on the western side of Miami Beach) is a definite possibility.  The house that was there in 1986 has been demolished and replaced.

Home_Inv10.png

Can somebody with Blu-Ray see if you can read the number?

vor 3 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

Can somebody with Blu-Ray see if you can read the number?

I don’t have the Blue Ray but Amazon Prime which was as sharp as the Blue Ray from another member recently when I tried to suss our the LAFS warrant at the video club. I will look into it today.

ok, I have looked into it and this is a very mysterious case.

To start with, the number is definitely NOT 5340 and not 53XX for me. On your stills it looks like it, on mine it ain´t. The 5340 N Bay Rd house structure from 1986 (with right part of the house sticking out massively towards the street) does not match the house structure we see in the episode in any way.

Upon further scrutiny of the episode and many different stills made (camera is shaking a bit) and enhanced, I am sure that only these combination of numbers may match to what we see:

6245 (I am 95% sure, higher probability for me than the next), 6345

far off, but also thinkable are 6248 and 6348, all other combinations I have dismissed. The first digit is for sure a 6 and not a 5 as it is very slim and all other possible numbers would not work either. the third is a 4 with 95% prob.

The look of house is a modern MiMo or 80s bauhaus-like style (especially the window and the big concrete block structured parts at 90 degree angles) that says rather South of the Grove (Pinecrest, ...). It is a modern construction, I would guess a built date from 1980 to 1985. Not much older. Thus, Miami Beach is unlikely for this type of house, except for some very few areas that we know of like Sunset Islands and Broadview Drive.

What I did next is to search all possible address combination of 6245 and 6345 in the SW grid from SW 58 Street down to SW 135 Street and from 57 Ave to 88 Ave. Many addresses do not exist with these numbers, all others I checked, in total I checked around 25 houses in more detail (Street view, realtor) because the address was existent, but no fit. To be sure I did no misread on the number I also ran a check on 5245/5345 numbers in the same grid, but these numbers mostly do not exist either.

Then, I switched over to Coconut Grove and Miami Beach and areas where such a house could be found there. Here it is more difficult to search for combinations as there are many individual street names instead of running street numbers. I tried all the usual suspects (streets with 6245 and 6345 numbers, like the Sunset Islands W22-W27 Street, Pine Tree Drive, etc.), no fit.

I am starting to be stumped. My idea left is to search systematically and more comprehensively in Grove and Miami Beach for 6245 and 6345 numbers, but I am very sure that this house is nowhere in Pinecrest, Kendall, South Miami and Glenvar Heights. I specifically dismissed the area around 8360 SW 114 Street, because 62XX and 63XX is not a possible number there in Ave and Street patterns.

@airtommy Although I did not find it: I hope that my search attempt helps you a bit, at least to exclude a lot of addresses.

My gut feeling says either Grove, Gables or north of Miami (Beach). In Miami Beach itself, I don´t know any unchecked area with such a modern house. Small possibility left is that the exterior shot is an archive shot from LA or elsewehere. The interior scene with Crockett and Castillo sitting on the couch (only close ups used, no surrounding visible) could be filmed in the other houses used in that episode.

P.S. what hits hard in this case is that the exterior shot used in the episode is very dark and coarse grained (stock footage?), thus upon enhancing the picture gets massive artifacts and is still quite dark on the building itself, which makes it difficult to get an idea about what the house looks like from above. I can´t even say for sure if the round high window we see in the middle is round on top or rather just an inlet in a rectangular structure around it which makes a huge difference in the appearance from above. So, dumping the address numbers and go with Google satellite would mean to search every single modern house (white roof which is flat or rounded in the middle) in Miami.

In the last 2 months I have easily checked hundreds of such modern homes in South Miami in more detail while hunting down other locations and I also do not recall to have seen this house during any of my previous searches. 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-17 um 07.00.31.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

A current day aerial of the Broad Causeway off NE123rd St featured in this episode ( as well as “Forgive us our Debts” and “Deliver Us From Evil”). Here in the shot we see the Cswy the beach side looking to the Chevron gas station, Bay Harbor, Bal Harbour Islands and Bal Harbour & Surfside.

E603D43B-D526-4EDF-BE3D-FF8CEF59F6D4.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Just realized that we have still two unknown locations in this ep left that need to be added to the search list.

the hair salon. I doubt that this was at Bal Harbor too. They filmed the exterior at Bal Harbor and cut it together. The salon is quite large, has a second story with stairs going up and quite significant overhead beams. Very modern interiors. I found a lot of hair and beauty salons near Sunset Drive (where the jewelry store and the final scenes were) but no match there. Going by the distribution of other known locations this could be anywhere, even far away.

the bar where we briefly see Castillo, Crockett, Gina and Trudy. Significant red doors and red bar counters with distinctive grooves in the bar counter. I doubt that this place still exists or looks the same it did. But it could be known by old Miamians due to its red color preference. I checked but found nothing yet.

I doubt that Rick or other crew members will remember these two.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-15 um 01.23.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-15 um 01.23.48.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-15 um 12.29.17.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-15 um 12.30.21.png

Edited by Tom

• 3 months later...
Am 15.7.2021 um 12:42 schrieb Tom:

Just realized that we have still two unknown locations in this ep left that need to be added to the search list.

the hair salon. I doubt that this was at Bal Harbor too. They filmed the exterior at Bal Harbor and cut it together. The salon is quite large, has a second story with stairs going up and quite significant overhead beams. Very modern interiors. I found a lot of hair and beauty salons near Sunset Drive (where the jewelry store and the final scenes were) but no match there. Going by the distribution of other known locations this could be anywhere, even far away.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-15 um 12.29.17.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-15 um 12.30.21.png

After further scrutiny I am convinced that the hair salon was near Bal Harbor shops. Same situation as with Golden Triangle  and the pull up scene at 71 street: the Bal Harbor location with Gina´s valet parking in front of the salon does not make sense logistics-wise as only location of that episode there, unless the salon was close to it. There is one salon within Bal Harbor shops and several more within 1-2 blocks south of it (Harding Ave). At least some of the latter were there already 30 years ago and the interior fits overall.

In the episode we see a very small hair salon that just looks big as there were huge mirrors on both sides of the customer seats, with only one backroom in the middle of the background. There were stairs leading up and a high ceiling approx. 2 stories in height. That rather excludes Bal Harbor shops.

Map below shows hair and beauty salons near Bal Harbor with red marks and two of them (9540 Harding Ave, X-Hannah and 9563 Harding Ave, Femme coiffure) as interior examples that come close to the episode in width and height.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-24 um 15.55.30.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-24 um 15.55.56.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-24 um 15.58.08.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

@airtommy @miamijimf @Dadrian

THE UNKNOWN BAR WITH RED COUNTER: FIRE AND ICE?

While it´s proven that Fire and Ice at 3841 NE 2 Ave in Miami Design District was Harry´s bar in Glades (as shown there), it´s not so sure that it was also used as the bar in Home Invaders where Castillo meets with Crockett, Trudy and Gina. BUT: there is a suspicious match netween Dutch Oven, Glades and Home Invaders: the distinctive red bar counter with grooves and the strange angles the long bar counter takes along its stretch. Both matches only make a 60% chance overall, since the other side of the bar counter is not visible/no full match and the location of the cash register cannot be seen in detail, but it is highly likely and I will further investigate. What is the likelihood that there were two bars with identical red grooved counters in Miami at that time?

One fact that speaks against this location in Home invaders is that there is no other location nearby (closest one is the Wolfson Campus at 3rd Street/NE 2 Ave and the motel at 6500 Biscayne Bvd) and this was only a very short scene. Thus it does not make sense location logistics-wise, but the short exterior Wolfson Campus scene is also far off any other location in this ep.

See yourself.

Click to ernlarge!

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-30 um 21.20.30.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-30 um 21.22.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-30 um 21.23.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-30 um 21.29.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-30 um 21.33.24.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-20 um 16.07.08.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-20 um 16.07.25.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

Definitely an interesting match with the red bar and its distinctive features.  I'd put it more like 90%.

A red bar seems unusual.  Given that red was banned from the show's color palette (kind of), you can be sure the bar wasn't painted that color just for the episode filming.

• Like 3

vor 7 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

Definitely an interesting match with the red bar and its distinctive features.  I'd put it more like 90%.

A red bar seems unusual.  Given that red was banned from the show's color palette (kind of), you can be sure the bar wasn't painted that color just for the episode filming.

Good points. That’s what I thought too. Statistical likelihood of a red counter +same grooves + both being in Miami in 84/85 adds up to a 1:1 Mio coincidence. The tiny residual doubt for me is as follows: the edge of the bar towards the guests is red, round & small in Glades (Sept 84), big round and blue in Dutch Oven (April 85) - that side of the counter was obviously changed before Dutch Oven, that’s ok but: the same side/edge looks small and square angled in Home Invaders (February 1985), that’s in between the other two episodes. But I also could not find the red doors behind the counter (could be blocked by nicely painted walls placed there in Dutch Oven for filming) or the exact bends of the counter in Home Invaders with the cashier within, but Fire and Ice was a big disco with maybe more than one bar.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
Am 30.11.2021 um 22:02 schrieb Tom:

@airtommy @miamijimf @Dadrian

THE UNKNOWN BAR WITH RED COUNTER: FIRE AND ICE?

While it´s proven that Fire and Ice at 3841 NE 2 Ave in Miami Design District was Harry´s bar in Glades (as shown there), it´s not so sure that it was also used as the bar in Home Invaders where Castillo meets with Crockett, Trudy and Gina. BUT: there is a suspicious match netween Dutch Oven, Glades and Home Invaders: the distinctive red bar counter with grooves and the strange angles the long bar counter takes along its stretch. Both matches only make a 60% chance overall, since the other side of the bar counter is not visible/no full match and the location of the cash register cannot be seen in detail, but it is highly likely and I will further investigate. What is the likelihood that there were two bars with identical red grooved counters in Miami at that time?

One fact that speaks against this location in Home invaders is that there is no other location nearby (closest one is the Wolfson Campus at 3rd Street/NE 2 Ave and the motel at 6500 Biscayne Bvd) and this was only a very short scene. Thus it does not make sense location logistics-wise, but the short exterior Wolfson Campus scene is also far off any other location in this ep.

See yourself.

Click to ernlarge!

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-30 um 21.20.30.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-30 um 21.29.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-30 um 21.33.24.png

My case for the Fire and Ice disco as the bar in Home Invaders get further momentum, while I maybe have found the hair salon as well.:

I found a similar layout (slim, 2 stories) and stairs like we see in the hair salon in the Miami Design district in an art shop nearby. Although the guiderail of the stairs is not exactly the same but very very close (might have been changed over the years), it has a similar wooden design and the shop has a similar layout. The address of this specific art shop (Bel-Air Fine Arts) is 114 NE 40 Street, which is just around the corner from the former Fire and Ice location at 3841 NE 2 Ave. Coincidence? I will further investigate, but the odds for the hair salon location have risen to 90%, especially I haven´t found any similar layout/staircase anywhere else. Sunbiz records for this address do not give any results, although the building clearly existed in 1985 and looked like today. But the chic ambient of the hair salon would definitely fit to Miami Design district and the location logistics would be spot on too.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-18 um 02.13.07.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-18 um 01.53.17.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-18 um 01.53.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-18 um 01.54.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-18 um 01.16.13.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Am 29.6.2016 um 06:33 schrieb C Glide:

If the interior was filmed here it is heavily remodeled now including significant structural differences. The stairs from the main room are completely different in shape and direction. The doors to the back pool area have been reduced in size which is strange.

http://www.miamivicelocations.org/wpimages/wp6fd1a034_05.jpghttp://www.miamivicelocations.org/wpimages/wp1debc9f6.png

http://www.miamivicelocations.org/wpimages/wp665c78fc_05.jpghttp://www.miamivicelocations.org/wpimages/wp8f86ac5c_05.jpg

The last invasion home was indeed heavily remodeled including the pool and some key structures outside and inside. Some aspects are still recognizable though. See below.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-29 um 12.13.49.png

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
vor 6 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

@Tom

Have you looked at the Goldman house on your Koch Blu Ray?  Is there any more clarity?

You mean the exterior (LA archive) shot with the blurry number on it? No, but I will take a look.

• 7 months later...

After visiting the 94 Palm Ave house, Castillo and Crockett sit in the Daytona and Castillo says "This investigation's in real trouble, Sonny."

homeinv1.png.5d66fd2fb49d373602531db956055bc2.png

homeinv2.png.3695724d51e8adc63a769478d2cf839f.png

This location has never been identified, but it's supposed to be in the driveway of the house.  I've always thought this looked "off".  A chain link fence on Palm Island?  I'm skeptical.  And the driveway is round.

homeinv.png.550c2739d33378a88e3feb6245f0a2f2.png

The most likely locale is near the studio.  Where Stan is parked in "Hard Knocks" on 121st St, the grass median is too narrow.  It could be on the north side of the studio, either in the parking lot or on the road seen in "Buddies".

homeinv3.png.a9ebeac4196aa00f77c4de7833e0e22a.png

buddies.png

• Like 3

vor 5 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

After visiting the 94 Palm Ave house, Castillo and Crockett sit in the Daytona and Castillo says "This investigation's in real trouble, Sonny."

homeinv1.png.5d66fd2fb49d373602531db956055bc2.png

homeinv2.png.3695724d51e8adc63a769478d2cf839f.png

This location has never been identified, but it's supposed to be in the driveway of the house.  I've always thought this looked "off".  A chain link fence on Palm Island?  I'm skeptical.  And the driveway is round.

homeinv.png.550c2739d33378a88e3feb6245f0a2f2.png

The most likely locale is near the studio.  Where Stan is parked in "Hard Knocks" on 121st St, the grass median is too narrow.  It could be on the north side of the studio, either in the parking lot or on the road seen in "Buddies".

homeinv3.png.a9ebeac4196aa00f77c4de7833e0e22a.png

buddies.png

Lucky coincidence that @RedDragon86just posted a BTS pic of that exact scene where we can see the background behind the car. And to me it looks that the high trees and quite dense vegetation behind them is not matching the studio backyard, but rather the Palm Island surrounding (or: that´s my best guess as there are no high pine trees on Palm Island: other convenience location nearby e.g. the Enchanted Forest area near the studio where they also shot short scenes missing for The Fix episode)? 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-29 um 10.23.21.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@airtommyafter checking all other locations of this episode with fitting high pine tree backgrounds (studio, Enchanted Forest close to studio, Broad Causeway/N. Bayshore Drive, ...) and considering the big production trucks in the background that indicate that they did not only film this short scene there my best guess is that they filmed this short Castillo/Crockett Drive off on a convenience location near the Sunny Day Motel at NE65 and Biscayne. 

Close to the motel is a fitting high tree area and two parallel paved streets/parking lot with median in between (my assumption that parallel to the car there was a parking lot is backed up by the second still after the Daytona drive off).

See below. Magenta arrow is the Sunny Day Motel chase scene and in red is my potential fit with the tree background possibility.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-29 um 12.20.03.png

• Like 3

vor 4 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

No coincidence, it was RedDragon's pic that reminded me of this question.

the high pine trees behind the car clearly excluded the studio backyard and that’s why I thought you were not aware of that alternate angle pic. 

BTW: behind the camera were also high trees or bushes (can be seen on Daytona body reflection), thus my best guess is mostly not it either. I still haven’t found any clear match, but the high vegetation on both sides of the car is key.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Am 26.5.2022 um 03:47 schrieb airtommy:

@Tom

Have you looked at the Goldman house on your Koch Blu Ray?  Is there any more clarity?

Yes, I upgraded my Mac to read BluRays and took a look again with the Koch BluRays.

I had to brighten the very dark scene a lot and play around with sharpness, shadows and brightness. As the BR resolution is top, but the establishing shot is dark and grainy this is no optimal source material.

The good news is that I am 99% sure now that the house number we see is "1345" with high reliability on all four digits. The first digit is too slim to be something else than a "1" which is in the US mostly written as a "I". The "3" is clear and the "4" behind it as well as there is no alternative for that pattern. See below.

The street number on a grid will help us only once know where this house is. I think it is NOT in Miami, but an archive shot from California (LA area, but could also be somewhere else).

P.S. I did a lot of reverse picture searches with 1) Google 2) TinEye and 3) Microsoft picture search and found nothing.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-17 um 11.24.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-17 um 11.29.14.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Tom said:

The street number on a grid will help us only once know where this house is. I think it is NOT in Miami, but an archive shot from California (LA area, but could also be somewhere else).

Oh wow, I hadn't even considered that possibility.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb airtommy:

Oh wow, I hadn't even considered that possibility.

Think about the other establishing shots we found. Most were not in Miami, but in LA, Phoenix, New York or even New Orleans. I have never seen such a house in Miami throughout my searches and the house does not show any signs of tropical vegetation and the driveway seems to have a slope which usually rules out flat Miami.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...