Vote of Confidence

miamijimf

I think I have discovered a previously unidentified filming location in Vote of Confidence, about 33.15 on DVD. Could not find anything posted about this episode yet. It looks a lot like the front of the white house on Sunset Island 1 you see across the inlet from the LMD/Evan etc house in Honor Among Thieves (a recent location trivia spot). Its at about 21:41 on the DVD. The style and palm trees match. Here is a screen cap from Vote of Confidence:Eingefügtes BildHere is a Google Earth Streetview image of the House:Eingefügtes BildAnd here is the photo I took of the Sunset Is house:Eingefügtes BildLet me know what you think.

I think that´s it. No doubt. We haven´t found any location of this episode yet, so that´s number one.The exact address is 1720 W28Str, Sunset Island 1.It just struck me, because his house was used in another ep (Rivas house in Heart of Night, where May Ying was tortured and Switek found her Thai writing on the bathroom mirror)! I never noticed that it was also used in VOC. I don´t like this ep very much, so that´s probably why it slipped through my location find radar. But nevertheless:Great find! Thanks for posting!

Thanks Tom,Not my favorite episode either. Didn't know the address or that it was used in Heart of Night. I can now send it to Caipi to add the episode to the glossary entry for this house in Miami Beach locations.

Wow, amazing find! I always assumed we'd never find this location without a copy of the script.The last time I visited Miami I took a photo of this house not knowing it was used on MV, just thought it looked cool.

Guest neworder

That was such a lovely shot in that episode, with the stormy clouds and palms swaying in the winds. Strange cos this ep was filmed in January you usually associate that sort of weather in Miami for more summer eps.

Ya it's a cool looking house alright. Miami is the land of endless Summer.So, I think this find brings the Sunset Islands tally to 11 episodes: Down For The Count Evan Fruit of the Poison TreeGive a Little, Take a Little God's Work Home Invaders Honor Among Thieves Junk Love Lend Me An Ear Little Miss Dangerous Vote of ConfidenceHave I left any out?

That was such a lovely shot in that episode' date=' with the stormy clouds and palms swaying in the winds. Strange cos this ep was filmed in January you usually associate that sort of weather in Miami for more summer eps.[/quote']There was some kind of major storm brewing that week whilst they filmed "VOC" as a number of scenes have a windy/ pre major storm feel to them. Also , a lot of interior filming in this episode too at Greenwich Studios.

It's almost a no-brainer to say that the "Hooker Train" scene was filmed at the Gold Coast Railroad Museum in South Dade. DanJ, my friend Frank, and I were there just a few months ago. The old steam locomotive and the car with Gold Coast written on the side are pretty obvious. A recent Burn Notice episode was filmed there also. Is this another example of this show following Vice's lead? Quite possibly since some of the same people have worked on both shows. The steam locomotive you see when the train pulls up in the Vice teaser is Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) Steam Locomotive #113. It is no longer in operation. A similar locomotive #153 is pictured below. It is the engine that pulled the rescue train out of Marathon, Florida after the 1935 hurricane. The Museum is well worth a visit and provides free rides on Wednesdays. LinkEingefügtes Bild

The teaser, as Jim mentioned, must have been filmed at the Gold Coast Railroad Museum (GCRM) in South Miami. We visited this site last June, as the result of it having appeared in a Burn Notice episode. None of us recalled this place having been used in MV at the time of our visit.Jim got a great picture of the engine car. The front had white trim paint in "Vote Of Confidence (VOC)," today it is painted all black.The "Silver Stag" car IMO is fictitious, perhaps another example of MV altering a real name to suit their purposes (Think "Anchor Hotel" turned "A hor hotel" in Little Miss Dangerous."). At the GCRM there is a car called the Silver Crescent. MV's prop masters must have made their own sign. Compare my photo of the Silver Crescent and its lettering to the Silver Stag from VOC (I couldn't get a capture of the Silver Stag because it is a rolling shot - watch the episode for this.):Eingefügtes BildThe "Silver Stag"The Silver Crescent is a sleeping car, which made it the prefect choice for the prostitute train car. When C&T board the car we see a girl and a guy (Who we soon discover is Congressman Pierce) run out of a room and down a hallway. Below is a screen capture of that hallway, as shown in VOC:Eingefügtes BildNext is my picture of the same hallway, taken from C&T's position:Eingefügtes BildC&T apprehend the girl and Pierce (In the cliche "with his pants down" - LOL!) at the other end of the car. Crockett exclaims, "By God, he's got my vote!" See this screen capture below, and compare it to my photo of the stares leading to the second floor of the car. The rails of the stairs may look familiar...Eingefügtes Bild"By God, he's got my vote!"Compare the stairs/rails behind Crockett to the picture below.(Hey, Cooper&Burnett, by any chance ya got one of these jackets?)Eingefügtes BildI may have to revisit the GCRM with screen shots of this episode, to better replicate these scenes. If/when I get around to it, updates will be posted.OTHER LOCATIONS DEPARTMENT:I believe Pierce's campaign offices and the stage he delivered his speech from were at South Pointe Park on South Miami Beach. The stage and its dressing rooms, to the best of my knowledge, no longer exist. The facility was closed down because residents of the condo towers that were built near the park where the stage was complained about the noise from concerts and other events which were held there - at least this is what I have heard (I hereby extend my Raspberry Award to the developers who built the Portofino Towers - Brrrttt!). There is some sort of restaurant near the spot where the stage was today. A park is the only remnant of that area from back when.The bar where C&T meet with the reporter (Frasier?) must have been Penrod's, just a stone's throw from Pierce's campaign offices at South Pointe.RECYCLED FOOTAGE DEPARTMENT:The classic OCB exterior is shown in this episode.We see the Cadillac pull out onto Biscayne Boulevard at one point. This is the same footage from "Killshot" which was recently discussed elsewhere. I believe this marks the third use of this shot?

• Like 1

The teaser' date=' as Jim mentioned, must have been filmed at the Gold Coast Railroad Museum (GCRM) in South Miami. [/quote']interesting. On Google one can see not a single railway track and the property (next to the Metrozoo where the teaser of The Fix was shot) looks small, but on the website there is a PDF-scout guide for location shooting at GCRM that includes lots of tracks, woods and trains on the huge 50 acre "back-lot".In VOC, we see the train approaching on railway tracks while the VICE squad and the patrol cars wait to raid. It then stops in front of the police blockade. According to the GCRM site and some of the contained photos, all of this can be easily shot at the premises.As a bottom line, I guess you guys really found that location!

Tom,They have several miles, at least, of usable track that they use to test equipment and to take tourists on rides. Several tracks dead end in the back of the Museum.Dan,That's neat about the "Silver Stag" I couldn't figure out what the second word was. The Vice crew up to their old tricks.

Great work Dan. What pointed you to South Point Park as the location of the Campaign Hq? What I am trying to find is where they filmed Frasier meeting Cowan. Three caps from that scene are:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildIt looks findable, there aren't many places in the area with columns like that.A possibility is one of these two homes on the NE corner of Star Island:Eingefügtes BildOne of the episode shots is a view across the Bay showing the Flagler Monument with the Islands in the background. Could this be a clue? Ideas? We may have to wait for the boat trip.

One of the episode shots is a view across the Bay showing the Flagler Monument with the Islands in the background.

That shot is recycled from "Heart of Darkness"' date=' during the opening credits ("Missing You").My first instinct when I saw the columns scene was that it was the Biltmore. I think this is the spot.

For the campaign office at South Pointe Park, what are we seeing across the water around 32:05? Is that Fisher Island? Did Fisher Island have so many trees back then?Angelica & Bloom meetAround 11:25, Angelica moves. For a few frames, you get to see the background outside the window (the pool and the building behind the pool). I don't see any way this can be the house on Sunset Island.C&T meet with Pearce's mentorThis could very well be at the Biltmore. You can see out the window that they are elevated and there are trees in the background.Here is one screencapFinal SceneWhen C&T hustle inside, you can see the pool has an odd shape. And the French doors with arched windows on top are a unique feature, seen in this screencap.

What pointed you to South Point Park as the location of the Campaign Hq?

At around 7:30 into the episode' date=' we see this:[img']http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/DanFoto/Miami%20Vice/0730.jpgNear the center of the shot, through the window, there is a structure that looks like an observation tower. South Pointe Park has at least one such structure.Also, lots of blue through the window suggests we are looking east toward the Atlantic ocean.

For verification of the observation tower mentioned in the post above, check the screen capture below from "Love At First Sight (LAFS)" which was two episodes prior to VOC.In the upper left hand corner is what IMO is the same observation tower I indicated from VOC.In the upper right hand corner is a building which could very well have been Pierce's campaign headquarters, judging by its height and visibility of the tower from it.The scene below was without a doubt filmed at the southernmost tip of South Miami Beach:Eingefügtes BildNOTE: I scanned South Pointe Park this morning using Live Earth. The current Bird's Eye View shots show a lot of reworking of the South Pointe area. The observation tower discussed here was nowhere to be found in my search. The closest existing indicator of the tower's position is a circular drive visible just above center in the screen capture above.

Here's an aerial image showing South Pointe. Unfortunately, the ship's smoke stack covers the observation tower I have referred to in previous posts. Still, you should be able to compare details from the aerial with the screen capture above from LAFS:Eingefügtes BildIn the above picture, towards the front of the ship and above it, you can see Smith & Wollensky (S&W) restaurant in the center of the green area. Just above and to the left of S&W is the building that used to be a stage for outdoor concerts at South Pointe Park. This is the stage I referred to as where Pierce's press conferences might have been in VOC.Regrettably, South Pointe no longer looks like this. Copy "N Save these picks for future reference, folks, they are geting harder and harder to come by...NOTE: Click on this picture to view it SUPER-SIZED - it is incredible!

• Like 1

Great stuff! Especially the Supersized image. So the building they shot in as Campaign Hq was the Smith & Wollensky (S&W) restaurant in the center of the green area perhaps? They shot scenes in this area for "The Savage" when they were setting up the Speech area .

Matt, although the Smith & Wollensky (S&W) restaurant is a possibility for the campaign headquarters, there is, or perhaps was, another possible location. Compare the view out of the window in this screen capture from VOC...Eingefügtes Bild...to this screen capture from LAFS, which shows the tower in the upper left hand corner:Eingefügtes BildThe second screen capture above is looking west toward South Pointe Park. In the upper right hand corner, which is north of the park, there is a building. Judging by its height and proximity to the tower, it is a candidate for the headquarters location.I don't know if that building exists today - so much has changed at South Pointe Park that it is barely recognizable any more. As a result, going out there today to verify this might prove to be futile. This is all the info I have so far.Of course, there might be another observation tower somewhere in Miami like this (If ya find one, let us know.). But being that LAFS and VOC were only two episodes apart, it stands to reason that the MV film crew used South Pointe Park more than once during that period.

Of course' date=' there might be another observation tower somewhere in Miami like this (If ya find one, let us know.). But being that LAFS and VOC were only two episodes apart, it stands to reason that the MV film crew used South Pointe Park more than once during that period.[/quote']another possibility to confirm the HQ location is by confirming the bar location where C&T meet Frazier while Mr. Mister is playing in the background. If it is really Penrod´s near the South Pointe Park, then its sure we are right with the HQ. In most episodes, they only used 4-5 different locations very close to each other, but they made it look like 10 different all over Greater Miami and I think it´s the same in this ep. All we discovered so far for VOC, makes sense: the Biltmore is very close to the GCRM, the HQ to Penrods, ... so let´s seeP.S. They used Penrod´s at 1001 Ocean Drive in "God´s work" (for the meet Castillo and Pater Ernesto)P.P.S. the location of the final scene where Crockett hustles in from the rain, somehow reminds me of the location of the wedding in One way ticket and the dinner of Crockett and Caitlin from Like a hurricane. We already know both scenes where filmed at Quay Plaza and Towerside Terrace in North Miami and Miami Shores respectively.