Vote of Confidence

miamijimf

DanJ- thanks that’s pretty convincing evidence that the scene was at the South Pointe Park.airtommy- You are right, I didn't think of the Biltmore. If confirmation is needed I found this: If you look out the window in the room where C&T meet with Pearce's mentor the stone railing matches.Eingefügtes BildThe columns in the Frasier meets Cowan scene match the columns in the rear of the Biltmore:Eingefügtes BildAlso the color of the walls in the C&T meet Bloom scene matches the Biltmore color which seems to have remained similar.Ref the final scene when C&T hustle inside and you see the French doors with arched windows on top. The color seems to match but I can’t place this at the Biltmore. Is this the building in South Pointe? All I remember about South Pointe is a Dog Track and a fishing pier.

Nice Biltmore pics, good confirmation. I also noticed in the scene that there are planters next to the stairs at the edge of the patio as well as at the start of those columns. Those planters appear to be there today.

Ref the final scene when C&T hustle inside and you see the French doors with arched windows on top. The color seems to match but I can’t place this at the Biltmore. Is this the building in South Pointe? All I remember about South Pointe is a Dog Track and a fishing pier.

They go by a small swimming pool, so this probably isn't the Biltmore or South Pointe. It looks like a private residence.

P.P.S. the location of the final scene where Crockett hustles in from the rain' date=' somehow reminds me of the location of the wedding in One way ticket and the dinner of Crockett and Caitlin from Like a hurricane. We already know both scenes where filmed at Quay Plaza and Towerside Terrace in North Miami and Miami Shores respectively.[/quote']Yes, it does have that feel. I think it's the French doors. Unfortunately, I don't see a pool next to that building.

another possibility to confirm the HQ location is by confirming the bar location where C&T meet Frazier while Mr. Mister is playing in the background. If it is really Penrod´s near the South Pointe Park' date=' then its sure we are right with the HQ. In most episodes, they only used 4-5 different locations very close to each other, but they made it look like 10 different all over Greater Miami and I think it´s the same in this ep. All we discovered so far for VOC, makes sense: the Biltmore is very close to the GCRM, the HQ to Penrods, ... so let´s see[/quote']I'll put Penrod's Bar on my itinerary the next time I'm in town. All in the line of duty.

One more, and perhaps my last, entry into the question of where Pierce's campaign headquarters were. Below is a postcard I found while shopping in downtown Miami this morning. It shows South Pointe Park as it looked before the current remodeling and condo havoc.Here we can see the observation tower discussed in previous posts in this thread, as well as a high-rise on the left side of the picture. Assuming this high-rise existed at the time VOC was filmed, IMO it is the best candidate for Pierce's campaign headquarters.If it did not exist at the time VOC was filmed, then consider me stumped because I do not believe the Smith & Wollensky restaurant was the site of the campaign headquarters (I will stand happily corrected if anyone else here can prove otherwise.). S&W, seen under construction in "Duty And Honor," (It looks under construction to me anyway.) may not have been completely built at the time VOC was filmed.This aerial also can be used to match up the scene from "Love At First Sight" where Crockett drives up in the white Testarosa.Also, if you know where to look, you can see the Nemo hotel from the teaser of "Red Tape" in the picture below:Eingefügtes BildNOTE: The barren area above South Pointe Park is, to the best of my knowledge, where the old dog track from Miami beach's early days used to stand. The grey, wedge-shaped area just before the beach is where there used to be a two-story parking garage that I remember parking at when I used to go to the beach down there. This property stood vacant for many years, until condomania hit the area.

• Like 1

Here are two more vintage post cards of South Pointe. They show the Dog Track that was there as late as the 60s. The first card is a 1939 view. In the second card the track looks like it has been changed and reoriented? Hopefully the cards will add to an understanding of South Pointe geography. Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Here are two more vintage post cards of South Pointe. They show the Dog Track that was there as late as the 60s. The first card is a 1939 view. In the second card the track looks like it has been changed and reoriented? Hopefully the cards will add to an understanding of South Pointe geography. Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Really great, Jim, thanks - how much better that area looked back then .:D

Thanks guys. Might as well add one more view which helps complete the history of South Pointe. It was a popular Vice filming location for obvious reasons. The photo in this link, provided by DanJ, shows what it looked like in the mid 60s, the way I remember it. Great web site. http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/94490614

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to "Baseballs of Death " feel free to utilize any of the shots that I posted from Miami last month in that thread SoflaJeremy :thumbsup::D

• 1 year later...

400 South Pointe Drive - featured heavily in this February 1988 episode ( background right)  and the Smith/ Wollensky restaurant seen in this episode from my collection from this year  :D  :dance2:  :balloon: 

Eingefügtes Bild

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I received a tip sometime ago from a guy who stated he had been an extra in this ep. and that the bar scene was not filmed at Penrod's but at The Wet Paint Café, 915 Lincoln Road Mall. I have not been able to confirm this as the location has been renovated significantly since then. Anyone know of this location or can come up with photos of the place from the 80's would be great.

• Like 1

I received a tip sometime ago from a guy who stated he had been an extra in this ep. and that the bar scene was not filmed at Penrod's but at The Wet Paint Café, 915 Lincoln Road Mall. I have not been able to confirm this as the location has been renovated significantly since then. Anyone know of this location or can come up with photos of the place from the 80's would be great.

I am convinced that it is the Wet Paint Cafe after checking the scene on DVD.

Evidence 1: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1989-03-24/features/8901160316_1_miami-beach-lincoln-road-mall-palm-beach-county

There is a description how the interior and entrance looked like and the description matches (paintings, beach-like seats in entrance area)

Evidence 2: if you carefully watch the stills when C&T enter the cafe with Frazier, one can see the address 915 above the door.

Unfortunately I could not find any photos of the interior.

• Like 3

I am convinced that it is the Wet Paint Cafe after checking the scene on DVD.

Evidence 1: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1989-03-24/features/8901160316_1_miami-beach-lincoln-road-mall-palm-beach-county

There is a description how the interior and entrance looked like and the description matches (paintings, beach-like seats in entrance area)

Evidence 2: if you carefully watch the stills when C&T enter the cafe with Frazier, one can see the address 915 above the door.

Unfortunately I could not find any photos of the interior.

That is interesting Tom  :D  :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Found this neat old photo of a Visa-Dome railcar named the Silver Meteor.  It is one of only seven that graced the rear of every California Zephyr train.  In the teaser of Vote of Confidence you see the interior of another one of the seven, named the Silver Crescent, as C&T bust a rolling house of ill repute.  This is railroading's finest example of Streamliner Era cars.  It was really traveling in style.  The Silver Crescent is on display at Miami's Gold Coast Railroad Museum.  It's a shame that, unlike Europe, this country no longer uses railroads as a major part of its transportation network. 

Silver Meteor.jpg

• Like 1