Vote of Confidence

miamijimf

21 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Found this neat old photo of a Visa-Dome railcar named the Silver Meteor.  It is one of only seven that graced the rear of every California Zephyr train.  In the teaser of Vote of Confidence you see the interior of another one of the seven, named the Silver Crescent, as C&T bust a rolling house of ill repute.  This is railroading's finest example of Streamliner Era cars.  It was really traveling in style.  The Silver Crescent is on display at Miami's Gold Coast Railroad Museum.  It's a shame that, unlike Europe, this country no longer uses railroads as a major part of its transportation network. 

Silver Meteor.jpg

Nice Jim - Thankyou for posting :D

• 3 months later...

Quite an uninspiring episode of Vice - production seemed tired and lost the spark of the "Like A Hurricane" and "Love at First Sight" / "Rock and a Hard Place" episodes. This early aired 1988 episode was the first and last episode directed by Randy Roberts.One of Roberts earliest directing roles and I think it shows here -

Larry Pine who plays Tommy Pearce stole the show here.

The end scene was quite interesting for me - with most of the episode shot at 400 South Pointe Drive near Inlet Bvld - the colors of the walls in this end scene when Pearce "returns" match the walls seen earlier in the episode. :done:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/400+South+Pointe+Dr,+Miami+Beach,+FL+33139,+USA/@25.7672628,-80.1347038,48m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d9b4f056eb5481:0x9e809e2ba232720e!8m2!3d25.7673218!4d-80.134244?hl=en

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

This was posted on Facebook today by a mutual friend of miamijimf and myself - it shows a nice old aerial of Government Cut and 400 South Pointe Dr which we saw in this episode.

We see this area also in "Love at First Sight" and also we see The Corsair from "Death and the Lady".:hippie:

IMG_3552.JPG

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Not the best episode - however found this shot Today from a 2011 vacation of 400 South Pointe Drive (right of picture) featured extensively in "Vote of Confidence".

The area just out of the picture next to Smith & Wollensky restaurant in South Pointe Park was seen in "The Savage" and the movie @miamijimf recommends "The Perez Family":hippie:

IMG_0405.JPG

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Google Maps 2 and 3D have been improved again, really clear images. Here is 400 South Pointe Drive featured a number of times in this episode. I am visiting this building later today.

80B8DC9B-2B56-415A-A7EF-CF259DC87F91.jpeg

Edited by Matt5

I had a good visit to 400 South Pointe Drive (featured extensively in this episode) yesterday  afternoon and will sort out some pictures & post here. 

The building was completed in 1987 and MV filmed here just after in the second week of January 1988 for a mid Feb airdate.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Unknown location: Pierce campaign house at the end.

Clues: Side building, pool, garden around, stairs to second floor and style. There are at least 3 buildings (one we see inside), thus an ensemble with pool in the middle.

The pool is NOT regularly shaped (no rectangle), but has a very unique round extension the right end behind C&T, see picture. That should be clearly visible from above.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.37.04.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.37.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-31 um 13.52.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-31 um 17.05.57.png

Edited by Tom

• 3 weeks later...

That´s the closest false suspect I could find.

https://www.redfin.com/FL/Miami/8780-Ponce-De-Leon-Rd-33143/home/43104146

My problem is that I don´t have any clue of the purpose of that ensemble of buildings with pool in the middle. Hotel (the last scene does not look like a reception but there is a reception-like table)? Restaurant (with pool?)? 

Looks like a community center for residents and guests in a high end housing development.  Probably not the Gables or an older section because I think these community centers are a more recent innovation.  There are several similar facilities in this area so I'm sure there are some in newer parts of Miami like Miami Lakes for example.

Edited by miamijimf

vor einer Stunde schrieb miamijimf:

Looks like a community center for residents and guests in a high end housing development.  Probably not the Gables or an older section because I think these community centers are a more recent innovation.  There are several similar facilities in this area so I'm sure there are some in newer parts of Miami like Miami Lakes for example.

Thanks for your input. That might be an explanation. I have not found any private homes (even big ones) or hotels that fit that criteria. Hotels are all several stories high and are either downtown or on the beach which does not fit to the small buildings and lush greenery in these scenes.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:27 PM, Tom said:

Unknown location: Pierce campaign house at the end.

Clues: Side building, pool, garden around, stairs to second floor and style. There are at least 3 buildings (one we see inside), thus an ensemble with pool in the middle.

The pool is NOT regularly shaped (no rectangle), but has a very unique round extension the right end behind C&T, see picture. That should be clearly visible from above.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.37.04.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.37.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-31 um 13.52.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-31 um 17.05.57.png

Reference this I did notice the off peach - light orange interior walls matched, or came quite close, to the office scenes filmed at 400 South Pointe Drive used in this episode. The exterior columns also(which were filmed at 400 South Pointe Dr as we know).

F0343523-029C-4AB8-A3E8-061315801A15.png

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

vor 52 Minuten schrieb Matt5:

Reference this I did notice the off peach - light orange interior walls matched, or came quite close, to the office scenes filmed at 400 South Pointe Drive used in this episode. The exterior columns also(which were filmed at 400 South Pointe Dr as we know).

F0343523-029C-4AB8-A3E8-061315801A15.png

Of course I have checked other locations in this ep. For me there is no match, neither in color (peach/orange vs pink) nor in style. Also there is/was no  pool at South pointe Dr that looks similar let alone such dense vegetation around. 

Edited by Tom

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Of course I have checked other locations in this ep. For me there is no match, neither in color (peach/orange vs pink) nor in style. Also there is/was no  pool at South pointe Dr that looks similar let alone there is no such dense vegetation around. 

Yes I agree I recently spent some time at 400 South Pointe Drive and couldn’t match anything exterior wise except the small scene they filmed there at the rear of the property (Last picture). Just thought the interior colors looked similar.

Edited by Matt5

UNKNOWN LOCATION: PIERCE RALLY HOUSE with pool

Here is my sketch. Hope it helps.

We look for an ensemble of buildings (purpose unclear, but seems to be no private residence) with significant high glassdoors, a very uniquely shaped pool and very green surroundings. Should be easily seen from above.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-16 um 20.36.40.png

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 8:39 PM, Tom said:

UNKNOWN LOCATION: PIERCE RALLY HOUSE with pool

Here is my sketch. Hope it helps.

We look for an ensemble of buildings (purpose unclear, but seems to be no private residence) with significant high glassdoors, a very uniquely shaped pool and very green surroundings. Should be easily seen from above.

made some changes on your sketch. For me it looks like this is a pavilion outside of a larger building, like a hotel or whatever. I've noticed a probably wooden grill that is at least one story high and runs along the building behind the staircase. There is some passage or door however behind Pierce which is where he and his entourage are approaching the room from. There is also some distance between the staircase and the pavilion, which is filled with some plants. The area outside the pavilion behind Pierce seems to be covered by a platform or the building level that the stair is leading to.

grafik.thumb.png.da15b1a0a7f94f4f60697d003b04f0d2.png

grafik.thumb.png.2c9ed2f237afe3de58c644169e5c5e1e.png

vor 16 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

made some changes on your sketch. For me it looks like this is a pavilion outside of a larger building, like a hotel or whatever. I've noticed a probably wooden grill that is at least one story high and runs along the building behind the staircase. There is some passage or door however behind Pierce which is where he and his entourage are approaching the room from. There is also some distance between the staircase and the pavilion, which is filled with some plants. The area outside the pavilion behind Pierce seems to be covered by a platform or the building level that the stair is leading to.

Thanks! I still struggle to understand the nature of that location, i.e. the whole bunch of buildings, especially the one where Pierce speaks. Behind C&T there is a room-high kind of closet, just after the entrance. And this weird kind of reception table where Pierce speaks? Community Center, senior center, convention building of a larger property, ...? Just does not look like a private residence that they used for that rally house.

Thank god we have that unique pool shape to go for. If we´ll find it then only by that pool shape. The pink and fancy look with the window patterns tells me this was very new at time of filming and windows have some similarity with Rita´s house and similarly built architecture, possibly 1986 or 1987.  

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

@Tom you asked me to put together some photos if I had been to the interior of The Savoy /455 Ocean Drive ( the old Woodys on the Beach site) and I came across one of my pictures from 2014 of a now bar / conference room towards the back of the property. What struck me was the windows and shape whereas not exact strike a strong similarity to this Vote of Confidence location. The pool areas do not match though. I have more photos and will share.

F46A4BA8-8EBB-473E-95FD-71C5F9F516BC.jpeg

1C7CF4C2-7A47-44C3-BAB7-C3BE84414743.png

E804CFA4-8B2A-4C7B-B9F7-A33D9FF45672.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

Interesting, thanks! The window/door pattern are a style element typical for a certain period (1986/87 - Woody”s was opened in 1987!) and architecture and therefore not used only once. The Rita house in WOT has it as well for example. Other location features do not match like the rounded walls in the Savoy vs the straight walls in VOC. 

As you are familiar with the Savoy grounds you have better opportunity to see if there is any chance the buildings there match with our VOC location sketch but I doubt it.

as for the original intention to find any matches of the Savoy interior with unknown TMTL or HK scenes I see no match either. But maybe your other pictures include more clues?

P.S. also the round windows/doors do not match fully. The smaller half circle is in the middle at the Savoy, but much closer to the base in VOC! And the horizontal dividers are 5 in VOC but only 4 in the Savoy!

Edited by Tom

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Interesting, thanks! The window/door pattern are a style element typical for a certain period (1986/87 - Woody”s was opened in 1987!) and architecture and therefore not used only once. The Rita house in WOT has it as well for example. Other location features do not match like the rounded walls in the Savoy vs the straight walls in VOC. 

As you are familiar with the Savoy grounds you have better opportunity to see if there is any chance the buildings there match with our VOC location sketch but I doubt it.

as for the original intention to find any matches of the Savoy interior with unknown TMTL or HK scenes I see no match either. But maybe your other pictures include more clues?

P.S. also the round windows/doors do not match fully. The smaller half circle is in the middle at the Savoy, but much closer to the base in VOC! And the horizontal dividers are 5 in VOC but only 4 in the Savoy!

Thanks Tom for your input - I agree when you look carefully it cannot be the location. I’ve spent some time at the Savoy and couldn’t match it up. These are the plans before the extension in 2001.

829226F0-8A25-4A19-90C0-857BC2401092.jpeg

vor 7 Minuten schrieb Matt5:

Thanks Tom for your input - I agree when you look carefully it cannot be the location. I’ve spent some time at the Savoy and couldn’t match it up. These are the plans before the extension in 2001.

829226F0-8A25-4A19-90C0-857BC2401092.jpeg

Great plan! As the 1986 historic aerial shows no matching pool, but rather the same diagonal pool we see now on Google Earth, it was clear that it cannot be the place. Recent additions made to the sketch by @daytona365 will help to find it. Key will be to understand if we look at a hotel pavilion or something else here. Also, the very dense vegetation is key and no match to any place I know in Miami Beach.

• 2 months later...

STILL UNKNOWN: THE RALLY HOUSE

The best candidate so far at 9304 SW 77th Ave, in Kendall. The layout of the pool and location of the three houses and their sizes matches, but not the pool shape I checked with historic aerials 1986 and the pool was the same back then.

As this is the only rough match I have found so far (after months of searching), I suspect that we maybe never find it (e.g. if it was built after 1986 and torn down or changed a few years after that, we´ll not find it on any historic aerials).

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-02 um 17.56.47.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

NEW CLUE: THE RALLY HOUSE

Unbelievable but even after 100 scrutinies I still find new clues with this location. This new clue will change our search pattern considerably and could finally lead us to success because it narrows down possibilities.

The rallyhouse is at the water, but not the open see, but a small waterway with green shoreline on the other end. This can be briefly seen through the leaves. I had to rewind many times to get it. See the pics below with red markers.

Bottom line: there are not many small waterways with green shoreline and heavy vegetation around. The width of the waterway seems to be comparable to the one at Castillos house or the one at Stewart Avenue next to the Baines villa in Leap of Faith. Maybe a bit wider.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-19 um 16.05.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-19 um 16.06.46.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-19 um 16.08.17.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

NEW CLUE: THE RALLY HOUSE

Unbelievable but even after 100 scrutinies I still find new clues with this location. This new clue will change our search pattern considerably and could finally lead us to success because it narrows down possibilities.

The rallyhouse is at the water, but not the open see, but a small waterway with green shoreline on the other end. This can be briefly seen through the leaves. I had to rewind many times to get it. See the pics below with red markers.

Bottom line: there are not many small waterways with green shoreline and heavy vegetation around. The width of the waterway seems to be comparable to the one at Castillos house or the one at Stewart Avenue next to the Baines villa in Leap of Faith. Maybe a bit wider.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-19 um 16.05.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-19 um 16.06.46.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-19 um 16.08.17.png

Tom in the 2nd picture down it appears there may be a road/service road with curb and gutter, or even a bike path then a swath of green then the water.

• Like 2

vor 2 Minuten schrieb king77:

Tom in the 2nd picture down it appears there may be a road/service road with curb and gutter, or even a bike path then a swath of green then the water.

Yes, thanks, there are several tiny clues. I also think there is a jetty or some sort. There is also a white fence or guiderail running parallel to C&T´s running path in the distance, but before the water. I can be seen in the video, but not on the stills as it is only visible in certain frames as the leaves are blocking our view.

• Like 1