Moondance Alexander

crocketsgrl

Well my video store got Moondance Alexander in and I rented it today. I didn't know it was based on a true story. I have to say I really enjoyed this movie and Dj's kids can certainly watch this movie and love it. He plays Daunte Longpre a man who at first is grumpy and only tolerant of Moondance a girl who found his run away horse. She falls in love with the horse having no friends. She asks him if she could muck the stalls and do things in order to ride the horse he tells her yes but is strick. Later on he let her re-name the horse Checkers. Her dad died a while ago and she hasn't fully gotten over it. The actress did a great job with the character. Her mom, Chelsy, Lori Locglin (sp) who was in full house and then movies, is very supportive of her daughter. Now the girl gets under DJ's skin in a good way. She starts to get him to open up to a point and let her in. He used to compete with horses and train riders. He never tells her why he doesn't now, but we find out in the end why. The horse is a Pinto and isn't the type of horse to enter competitions like Jumping. But Dj tells the girl that's how the horse always gets out. The horse and girl form a bond. There are snobs at school making fun of Moondance and tease her about entering the competition. Moondance goes to Daunte and tells him that her and Checkers want to enter. He isn't to keen on the idea since they look down on Pinto's and it's been a long time since he's trained. She tells him that they can show the people with this entry and he'd get business again and she believes in him. This turns Daunte around, he has grown fond of the girl and sees the bond between her and Checkers. It goes on to show how he trains her and the detication on all parts. Mean while the mother starts dating and the man's son is kind of popular in school, someone that Moondance likes. In the end the boy cheers her on, pushing away people that made fun of her. Dj's creates this character of Daunte so believable as always, the grumpy isolated man and then little by little he shows signs of slowly coming around. Again as I've always said his facial expressions say more than words in parts. He starts looking better, taking care of himself and enjoying the training and the girl that helped him and he's helping. He starts to see that things are possible once again. I don't wanna blow the ending. But it changes all of their lives.... I think the movie was put together very well. The girl and Dj's character are the strongest of all of them. I say rent it and watch this movie you will not be dissappointed unless you only like cops and action movies. :clap:

Thanks for this nice synopsis. Sounds like a good movie. I've ordered Moondance on Amazon.com. It will be shipped next Tuesday. So I can't wait to watch it.

Bon, you and the fan club? Or you and Maggie going to get together to watch it. Yes, my Video store has something worked out where he gets the videos a few weeks earlier than other's. He is privately owned, but I don't know how he does it. I know you all will enjoy it. Let me know!

Himenokuri, I know your nieces will love the movie and you will too. I don't have anyone young to watch it with so it was just me.....That's why Dj made it so his young ones could watch it. I imagine Gracie more than the oh darn I can't remember his other child, but the baby is much too young.....Yes, DJ has kids from their 20's down to a year...........Bon, you would know I forgot his two younger children , boys? And their names...or do you know Himen? Thanks guys!

Found out some other interesting trivia about the film. For starters, it's directed by Michael Damien, former soap star and he of the reed-thin voice used to score the top pop hit "Rock On" in the 80s (a cover of David Essex's new wave smash from a decade prior). Also, the movie co-stars James Best, better known as bumbling sheriff "Roscoe P. Coltrane" from the Dukes of Hazzard.And there's more, the film was co-written by Michael Damien's wife, who based the script on her own experiences (allegedly) and who also happens to be Roscoe's real-life daughter!What a tangled web!So, if you ever wanted to see two of TV's most iconic lawmen star in a movie together -- this is it!(Seems funny calling Roscoe an iconic lawman, doesn't it. Yeah, tongue was in cheek on that one.)

Himenokuri' date=' I know your nieces will love the movie and you will too. I don't have anyone young to watch it with so it was just me.....That's why Dj made it so his young ones could watch it. I imagine Gracie more than the oh darn I can't remember his other child, but the baby is much too young.....Yes, DJ has kids from their 20's down to a year...........Bon, you would know I forgot his two younger children , boys? And their names...or do you know Himen? Thanks guys![/quote']Sue, the boys names are Jasper and Deacon, right?Margaret, Andrea, and I are going to watch Moondance Alexander together.

Yes, Jasper and Deacon. Oh I am convinced Grace will like this movie. It's a movie for little and big girls. :-)))Yesterday Amazon has shipped my DVD...

DJ seems to do very well in films involving either horses or roles where he is grumpy and reluctant towards children.

hahaha. I will be laughing about this for the next hour.

The local Wal-Mart and Target stores have the DVD, but both are priced at $19.95:eek: Hoping they go on sale by next week;)

Bon , I think you are right, to lazy to look it up..lol......Thanks. VC, I noticed that about the Damien's but didn't know they were father and daughter. Roscoe, huh? He was funny in the Dukes......And I'm sure Gracie will adore seeing her dad in this film, Flamingo. Jonny, are you calling Dj one of the Grumpy Old Men? lol.....

Bon ' date=' I think you are right, to lazy to look it up..lol......Thanks. VC, I noticed that about the Damien's but didn't know they were father and daughter. Roscoe, huh? He was funny in the Dukes......And I'm sure Gracie will adore seeing her dad in this film, Flamingo. Jonny, are you calling Dj one of the Grumpy Old Men? lol.....[/quote']Well.....it's true, isn't it? and horses...did I mention horses?

Well.....it's true' date=' isn't it? and horses...did I mention horses?[/quote']No Jonny love, you didn't mention the horsies......and there were no Elvis' in there either, so stuff that one....:D

Just thought I'd mention they had about six copies on the new release wall at my local mega video chain -- and they were all rented out! That's a good sign for an indie family film, I think.

I saw the trailer & it looked good. I'll rent this soon!

Tony I think you'll enjoy this one, I really do. It's a bit different for Don but he does the grumpy thing like Jonny said but he softens up and it's nice how things work out......I just enjoyed it so much......

Just thought I'd mention they had about six copies on the new release wall at my local mega video chain -- and they were all rented out! That's a good sign for an indie family film' date=' I think.[/quote']Hey thanks VC. Yes it is a great sign for an Indie label and a Don movie. I don't think it was out long before the DVD came out. But it's nice to hear this!

Crockettsgirl you may be pleased to know it was sold out the first 3 places I looked(Target Sears and the local video store) for it :) I finally found it @ my Wal MArt :) I got it just in time to watch it in the car on the way to St Simons Ga with the folks :) thanks for the rec :)

OH And I noticed they did an interview with Micheal damien? I couldnt hear very well but what did he do in the movie direct?