Episode #3 "Cool Runnin’"

Ferrariman

• 6 months later...

"Cool Runnin'"This week is "Cool Runnin'." I have to rate this a 10 for Noogie alone! He added so much to make this an enjoyable episode. There's plenty of action & sadness when the young cops are shot. I was impressed when Tubbs said he could tell the difference between a Jamaican & Haitian accent. The shootout at Noogie's apt. was exciting. I also enjoyed hearing "Jammin' " in the club. Nice Tropical feel in the air. And of course the monologue by the Noogman at the end! One of my favorite episodes! :cool:

• Like 2

Guest neworder

Didnt rate this one before so will do now with some new comments. Cool Runnin isn’t a very strong episode, but nor is it along the lines of some season 4/5 rubbish. It has a distinct reggae theme, a theme not really seen again in depth until The Big Thaw in Season 4. Noogie is introduced, and im not his biggest fan but some of the things he says are amusing. Lots of new hammer music in this one, though the only one I’m a fan of is the ‘boat party’ song. There’s a fair bit of action in this one, intro with the van chase is ok, aggressive driving by Tubbs shunting the vans. Unfortunately the ultra slow motion spoils this scene for me, in todays world it looks tacky and old. The intro features one of my favourite quotes of the whole series from Tubbs ‘that women was so fine she could kick start a 747’, great line.There are some nice things about this episode, some decent scenes by all means. But noogie irritates, the story isn’t overly interesting and at this stage there’s not enough style to compensate for the lack of a decent story. End shootout is ruined by slow motion cropping up again. But on the whole this episode doesn’t do anything drastically wrong like some later season eps. There are some good scenes and a classic line from Tubbs but too much slow mo and I’ve never been a fan of Noogie. Therefore ‘Cool Runnin man’ gets a 6/10 from me.

I liked it. It had good action good humor, even thou I'm not the biggest Noogie fan, and it had drama. In the beginning I loved the J.Hammer tune one of my favorites, thou I don't remember the name of it, and the chase that came with the tune was also good. The drama part the fellow cops getting shot added extra motivation to the hunt of the Jamaicans. Also if I am not mistaking this might be the only episode we see the Daytona with the top down. So all and all I agree with Tony, "great minds think alike" right Tony :p, 9/10.

• Administrators

This ep. never did anything for me. I was never a big Noogie fan so seeing him kidnapped at the end and shot was a good thing.I did like the old style taser that they used to zap the one guy with.I'll have to give this on a generous 5/10.

• 2 weeks later...

I just barely give this ep an 8. I found this ep to have more of a slapstick theme to it, with Noogie's antics and schemes and all. It was fairly enjoyable in the end though.

• 4 weeks later...

Cool RunninI disliked this episode enough to give it a 2! In fact, it's one of the episodes I rarely watch again. Maybe it's partly because I don't appreciate the music, but I don't care for Noogie either. His "spasms" on the sidewalk are nuts and his constant "gabbing" is irritating. I didn't like the story much either.

• 3 weeks later...

While introducing the entertaining Noogy character, this episode is pretty average, the twist is awful near the end, the story doesn't feel like a stand-out, I give it 6 out of 10.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is not a standout episode for me. The most enjoyable part was the introduction of Noogie. I give this episode a 6.

• 1 month later...

i watched this ep last night. i don't watch it very often, but i always enjoy it when i do.i find myself enjoying the episodes where the writers/directors go out of their way to really put you in the atmosphere of miami. as some others mentioned on page 1, the boat party scene and the outside bar scene ("jammin'") do this as well as any scene of any episode for me.also imo, season 1 appearence of sonny in rico is the most timeless, with a few exceptions. the shot of them at the bar while noogie goes into the bathroom is a very memorable image. they are style icons.i love reggae music. jan's score, along with the great song selection by fred lyle, really make this episode come to life. i wish i had a the recording of whatever band that is doing "jammin'". it sounds really good! bob marley was awesome.i can't remember what i rated this one last november, but i'll bet it was an 8 or 9. if the italics mean what you voted, it was an 8.

I gave this a 10 looking back. The scene with Rico and the lobster is priceless! Does the Pacino film "Serpico" get a mention in this episode?

yeah, jake(?)'s girlfriend (wife?) jokes that they watch it once a month or something. there were some very pretty ladies on that boat!!

• 3 months later...

Personally I thought the ladies on the dancefloor in the "Jammin" scene were more interesting than the ones on the boat ;-)This episode scraped a 7 with me. What dragged it down in my opinion were those two "Chuckle brothers on speed" idiots Jake and Bobby. What brought the episode back up was a highly entertaining performance from Charlie Barnett throughout.. "what's love got to do... got to do with wid it... what's love, but a second hand eMOshun!".I still believe that Vice took a few episodes to find it's feet. It wasn't until "Calderones Return", and Rodriguez's demise that it really started to establish it's identity. This is reflected in the opening credits. These were for the first few episodes a badly edited montage of the extended opening credits from "Brothers keeper". A few episodes in and we start to get the established one minute montage that remained for the rest of the show. As one of those early episodes, I still feel that it was a little rusty.Notice how the scary FBI guy from "Stone's War" that force fed Stone chinese food, in this episode is one of the cops at OCB!I found it weird in this smoking ban era to see Crockett sat at a restaurant table smoking a cigarette. I can remember a time when nobody would have thought twice to see that. Now it would be about as socially acceptable as someone walking into the same restaurant and pulling down their pants.My favourite scene from an acting point of view was the scene where the team are listening to the tape of Jake and Bobby's shooting. Rodriguez is angry at Jake and Bobby's foolishness for going in too heavy with no back up. Of course at this point Crockett and Tubbs do not wish to admit to him that they had a bet with Jake and Bobby as to who could clinch the case first. And it was probably that eagerness to get one over and Crockett and Tubbs that led to them being killed. Notice Crockett and Tubbs' body language change when Rodriguez shouts "They're out there all alone, why they playin gunslinger?". Crockett and Tubbs both look at each other guiltily and shift uneasily in their seats. Crockett even starts to hide from Rodriguez with his hand, a classic piece of body language that represents embarrassment, guilt, and sheepishness. You just knew that Crockett and Tubbs both knew why Jake and Bobby went in heavy handed, but not surprisingly did not want to admit it to Rodriguez. It was great acting from DJ and PMT.The finale where Noogie gets shot in the arm appears to take place on Espanola way, a location used heavily in Vice. I liked the ending, with Noogie's rap as he rides off into the distance.As I said earlier, 7 out of 10.

• 4 months later...

I like this episode okay...and the beginning is awesome, with the music, action, and the younger cop friends of Crockett's getting killed/wounded and Crockett and Tubbs going after the psychos.But...then enter Noogie. :rolleyes: Okay, he was sort of okay and funny in parts of this episode, but after a while he was just annoying as crap to me! I was like dude, just shut the heck up!! :evil: I never like him much in any of the other episodes he's in, either. I know Charlie Barnett's character was supposed to be like Izzy's--a little comic relief once in a while to sometimes (but not always) counteract the usual "dark" and seriousness of Crockett and Tubb's cases. But, I can watch Izzy way more than I can Noogie! Noogie just sort of "crashes" this one for me, and I'm not a huge fan of his character.

• 2 months later...

Charlie Barnett made this episode for me, love the Noog man.Crockett and Tubbs Jr. were quite annoying, really didn't care one way or the other about them getting shot.Plus the night time car chase sequence is vintage Miami Vice.

• 3 months later...

MrsEvanFreed, I actually did. We used to call him The Frogman 'cause his fingers look like frog's fingers :DAnother good season 1 episode. Not as good as the previous "Heart of Darkness", but nevertheless an enjoyable episode. I like how Miami Vice always portrayed Miami from a different perspective. This time we were able to take a peek in to the Jamaican way of life of the city. The only thing that really bothered me in this episode was the the bet made in the boat between C&B and Bobby & Jake. Tubbs and Crockett should have known that the nature of their jobs have no room for games. I knew those hot-headed idiots were gonna get themselves killed. And they did.The soundtrack was one of the best in the series. I love reggae and dub. Augustus Pablo's King "Tubby Meets The Rockers Uptown" is one of my all time favorite songs. I also love The Noogman. He's absolutely hilarious and not one bit annoying. Charlie Barnett really brought Noogie alive. The way he fiddles with words and makes everything flow smoothly what exits his mouth.Good episode with a laid back feel to it, 8/10

Jake and Bobby were quite annoying to me Jimmy.They took the job as a joke, it earned Bobby a tombstone.And put Jake in a coma, with him barely surviving. Thankfully never to be heard from again.

Oh' date=' you're right. Only Bobby died, not Jake. I must've blocked it out. Well, just to show how MUCH I cared about the two of them :D[/quote'] No worries, I didn't give a crap about them either.

• 4 months later...

Very very good episode because of awesome humour and detailed study of the Jamaican and Haitan social environment!:thumbsup::thumbsup:Basically it's an everyday-life-case of the VICE-team, but it gets personally when two friends of Sonny und Rico, Bobby and Jake, get hurted respectively killed.:hot:Besides this Noogie Lamont is introduced with a fireworks of fantastic sayings!:D:DHe fits in perfectly in the 80s and VICE and is a good counterpart to the serious and difficult case.Furthermore I like the strand about the divorce of Sonny and Caroline. We come to know more and more information about him and see that he has a hard life between job and private life.Another point is the deep-going friendship between Sonny and Rico which grows and grows - including controversy regarding the method of evaluation of Sonny.:clap:Rico learns that sometimes instructions may not count primary when he wants to achieve an aim.I love the style in Cool Runnin': Sonny always wears white pleat-front trousers, a cool T-shirt or tank top coupled with a wonderful jacket and a Wayfarer.Rico with blue suit and Carrera-shades!:thumbsup:Although I don't like Reggae music, in this epsisode it's awesome, especially Jammin' :radio::radio:And not to forget Jan Hammer with Cool Runnin' and Boat Party :radio:10 of 10 points!!!!

I was always listening to Noogie's "motor mouth" that at the end I didn't even pay attention to the fact that the guy that made the bet with Crockett lived. I wonder why we never see him again. Crockett looks really cool in the outfit he wears talking to the Fed that owes Switek a favor.The show is missing the friendship time that was seen at the beginning of the episode on the St Vitus Dance. Later seasons have no "hang out" time at all. At least season two had the "Bought and paid for" scene at the club. There were others too. I like that stuff though, and it kinda disappears.

I was always listening to Noogie's "motor mouth" that at the end I didn't even pay attention to the fact that the guy that made the bet with Crockett lived. I wonder why we never see him again. Crockett looks really cool in the outfit he wears talking to the Fed that owes Switek a favor.The show is missing the friendship time that was seen at the beginning of the episode on the St Vitus Dance. Later seasons have no "hang out" time at all. At least season two had the "Bought and paid for" scene at the club. There were others too. I like that stuff though' date=' and it kinda disappears.[/quote'] This one also has a happy ending, which was rare to none in the later seasons.