Episode #3 "Cool Runnin’"

Ferrariman

The show is missing the friendship time that was seen at the beginning of the episode on the St Vitus Dance. Later seasons have no "hang out" time at all. At least season two had the "Bought and paid for" scene at the club. There were others too. I like that stuff though' date=' and it kinda disappears.[/quote']I agree with you.Scenes like the boat party are very rare in later seasons, but I think this is associated with the fact that VICE becomes more and more serious.I have the feeling that in some episodes of the later years Sonny and Rico are often glad to see or meet anybody. They don't go in clubs anymore or go clubbing.In contrast in Season 1 and 2 Sonny and Rico enjoy to go out.

• 3 months later...

Cool Runnin'3. Cool Runnin’I wouldn’t say this episode was a disappointment, just not up to par with the previous two episodes. The opening chase in the teaser was a good scene especially with “Cool Running†in the background. The boat party scene was pretty good too. "Boat Party" is high up on my list of favorite Hammer tunes. Great night feeling of Miami. “Tubbs, that was $28.95!†Haha. We also get the first taste of the Noogman. This is my 6th time through the series and I am still undecided on if I like his character or not. Half of the time, he just rambles on with useless talk and it gets old. However, he does have his funny moments. The main problem I have with this episode is the Jamaican gangsters were just not that memorable of enemies. Also, we see Crockett set up Noogie without telling him. I’m not positive but that doesn’t seem “by the book†as Sonny has proclaimed early on. Cool Jamaican and reggae songs in the episode. Overall, this episode was fine it just didn’t appeal to me like the previous two episodes. 8/10

• 2 months later...

I voted a 6. I don't think this is a very strong episode.The story is not really clear to me. Why did the Jamaicans kill their buyers? Why did they (almost) kill Jake and Bobby since there was no money involved? How come Noogie survived and Desmond died? Seems to me this episode is about the team, the coworkers and the informants. Nice introduction of Noogie but the last scene, when C&T run into Noogie at the hospital, is way too long. It's not the kind of end like other episodes, kinda lame.It's obvious the show hasn't reached its signature style yet. There are some camera experiments in the scene where C&T chase the van (like slomo and zooming in). There is some attention for the personal lives of C&T and the team. The BBQ-scene at Sonny's boat was nice and laidback. But it was so obvious that the 'new' characters were about to die to increase the drama. They could have skipped this flashback of Jake and Bobby when C&T are about to enter Noogie's place.But now the strong points.Sonny without shirt. Sonny with sleeveless shirts. Sonny sweettalking and kissing Gina. Sonny angry. Sonny sticking up for seeing his son. Sonny wobling his legs and eating while sitting on Switek's counter. Sonny smoking to get a grip. It's all so cute. :cry: I also liked Tubbs sticking up for him at the bureau when the strategy at Noogie's place was discussed.Nice 80's prop I noticed: the digital watch the shooter in the van is wearing. It's this sort of calculator watch with a lot of buttons. I remember those were so cool and impressing back then!

• 11 months later...

Another great episode from Season 1. Loved it all. One of the best 'Crockett' episodes. Willing to risk the life of an informant to get his man. You get the sense he's on the brink of snapping a couple of times. He often feels like a bit of an anti-hero in some of these early episodes. Very flawed character.Plenty of time given to secondary characters too.9.9/10Ah what the hell, 10/10

• 1 month later...

This episode started off well. Good intro sequence and very good scene on the St. Vitus with great Jan tune. Then when Noogie arrived and started his Flavor Flav on speed schtick it got bad. 4/10

• 3 weeks later...

Regular episode, loved the beginning with "Cool Runnin'" by Jan Hammer (which happens to be one of my favs from him), but the Noog-man wasn't too funny. Mostly annoying at times, unlike Izzy.8/10 for this episode mon.

Regular episode' date=' loved the beginning with "Cool Runnin'" by Jan Hammer (which happens to be one of my favs from him), but the Noog-man wasn't too funny. Mostly annoying at times, unlike Izzy.8/10 for this episode mon.[/quote']Yeah, Noogie was annoying as "heck" to me...sometimes I could barely stand to watch him! :evil: Although Izzy was annoying too, he wasn't as bad as the Noog-man in my opinion. Sometimes Izzy also seemed to have a little more (and I stress little ;) ) intelligence than Noogie too.

• 2 months later...
I like this episode okay...and the beginning is awesome' date=' with the music, action, and the younger cop friends of Crockett's getting killed/wounded and Crockett and Tubbs going after the psychos.But...then enter Noogie. :rolleyes: Okay, he was sort of okay and funny in parts of this episode, but after a while he was just annoying as crap to me! I was like dude, just shut the heck up!! :evil: I never like him much in any of the other episodes he's in, either. I know Charlie Barnett's character was supposed to be like Izzy's--a little comic relief once in a while to sometimes (but not always) counteract the usual "dark" and seriousness of Crockett and Tubb's cases. But, I can watch Izzy way more than I can Noogie! Noogie just sort of "crashes" this one for me, and I'm not a huge fan of his character.[/quote']This was my original statement about this episode. Just watched it again last night, as for the first time since spring 2010, I'm going through "MV" again. My feelings on this episode have not changed much...the Noog-Man still annoys the crap out of me! :rolleyes:But, I did like Noogie's clothes, LOL! :) I walk into stores right now...and I swear it's like 1984-1987 all over again! The pastels, with pink, aqua, teal, greens, yellows, etc....all of it's back--and I love it!! :thumbsup: Even pastel colored pants and shorts for guys are back in...however, I think I'll stick to just the shirts. ;)Anyway, this episode is really good...except for Noogie! He just sort of ruins it for me, and I end up yelling at the Jamaican bad guys at the end..."Just shoot him so he'll shut up!" :p I love the action, music, and plot...but with Noogie thrown in there, I originally gave this one a 5, and I still go with that rating.

and I love it!! :thumbsup: Even pastel colored pants and shorts for guys are back in...however, I think I'll stick to just the shirts. ;)Anyway, this episode is really good...except for Noogie! He just sort of ruins it for me, and I end up yelling at the Jamaican bad guys at the end..."Just shoot him so he'll shut up!" :p I love the action, music, and plot...but with Noogie thrown in there, I originally gave this one a 5, and I still go with that rating.

Great ep and locations :D:D

Great ep and locations :D:D

This is true...the locations were good! But' date=' even in the worst episode of the whole series (in my opinion this is "Missing Hours") the filming locals are always superb! :clap: The filming locals, fashion, music, etc...were always stellar, even if the plot wasn't. That way you can enjoy [i']something, even if the worst of situations. ;)

• 1 year later...

Cool Runnin': Episode 3 (1984)

This one was a bit of a letdown after 2 such great episodes.

I thought Cool Runninhad a very powerful scene where the Vice squad listen to the tape which includes the assault and death of two of their young colleagues, but the rest of the episode felt a little slowpaced at times and as I never were a big fan of the Noogman he did kind of get on my nerves after a while.

All in all not a bad episode, but not great either.

6/10

I always thought the music by Jan Hammer in the opening scene reminded me of some of the

Oh, I almost forgot, Trudy looked smoookin hot with her tight leopard dress as she walked past Noogie at the police station.  :happy:

Edited by ArtieRollins

The locations in this episode were great also and a nice contuination from the first two episodes - directed by Richard A. Colla

• 2 months later...

Saw this during the summer reruns & it became a favorite. I actually like the early, less flashy episodes a lot. Still plenty of style here though. I love the balance between Crockett & Tubbs. I love when their roles are a bit more equal. I love the smaller scale, more street level menaces here.

It's amazing to watch this & then something like "Evan" or "Definitely Miami". Almost seems like 2 different shows. The show had evolved quite a bit & everything seemed ramped up. I enjoy the early episodes as much as the later ones though. 10/10 for me.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Damn, that informant was so annoying. But it was funny how Tubbs and Crockett talked to him. It also showed Tubbs adjusting to being a vice cop in Miami. I like these earlier episodes, when they've only been partners for a few months, but it seems like they've always been partners because they work so well together. I like the scene where he's walking in the streets with them, and they are so annoyed at him. I guess that's why the guy was brought back to guest star in more episodes later on...the character was a pain in the neck but in a funny way.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

To me this is one of the worst S1 eps. This might be my least favorite Hammer piece and I didn't like the other songs, either. The villains did nothing for me. I love Noogy in small doses, but this ep just had way too much of him and he got on my nerves.

I was always listening to Noogie's "motor mouth" that at the end I didn't even pay attention to the fact that the guy that made the bet with Crockett lived. I wonder why we never see him again.

Me too! I just rewatched the series this year and I made myself a note about this. I couldn't believe that Jake lived. I had never noticed that.

The show is missing the friendship time that was seen at the beginning of the episode on the St Vitus Dance. Later seasons have no "hang out" time at all. At least season two had the "Bought and paid for" scene at the club. There were others too. I like that stuff though, and it kinda disappears.

I didn't think about it until I read your post, but this is a great point. These hangout scenes are so few and far between that I really treasure them (sorry if that sounds corny). The Blue Dolphin scene at the end of "Heart of Darkness" was another good one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

(snipped) Seems to me this episode is about the team, the coworkers and the informants. Nice introduction of Noogie but the last scene, when C&T run into Noogie at the hospital, is way too long. It's not the kind of end like other episodes, kinda lame.It's obvious the show hasn't reached its signature style yet. There are some camera experiments in the scene where C&T chase the van (like slomo and zooming in). There is some attention for the personal lives of C&T and the team. The BBQ-scene at Sonny's boat was nice and laidback. But it was so obvious that the 'new' characters were about to die to increase the drama. They could have skipped this flashback of Jake and Bobby when C&T are about to enter Noogie's place.But now the strong points.Sonny without shirt. Sonny with sleeveless shirts. Sonny sweettalking and kissing Gina. Sonny angry. Sonny sticking up for seeing his son. Sonny wobling his legs and eating while sitting on Switek's counter. Sonny smoking to get a grip. It's all so cute. :cry: I also liked Tubbs sticking up for him at the bureau when the strategy at Noogie's place was discussed.(snipped)

I just watched this episode for probably the first time   At least I don't remember seeing it before.  While not one of the strongest eps, I agree the show was still finding its feet and establishing the characters.  I also enjoyed the party at Crockett's boat and his comment when Tubbs dropped the lobster in the water.  Enjoyed Noogie as well :)  I would watch again as there was a lot (mentioned by others here) that I obviously missed.  

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Let me say one thing. I love the Noogman. Because of that, it's hard for me to dislike this episode.

As a previous poster said, you can feel the Miami heat in this episode. I dig the Reggae scenes.

I liked the scenes involving Crocketts impending divorce and Noogie's rants. The part where he gets struckdown cracks me up.

The only flaw is the guy who played Jake. His laugh was hilarious though. And the sound when Tubbs stuns the gunman at the end hurt my ears.:)

9/10

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

What I loved:  Boy, did Cool Runnin start out strong with a 5:00am Crockett and Tubbs stakeout... only to witness a drug deal go bad as some Jamaican drug overlords mow down their customers with a spray of bullets! The van against van city pursuit was thrilling and must have been expensive to shoot!  Ramming vans, and I swear the editor cut right before one of those swerving vans flipped over. When the back of the van opened in slow motion to reveal an automatic weapon wielding Jamaican about to unleash fury on Crockett & Tubbs, it was fantastic!  (More on the slow motion later).  

The boat party was great fun - I smiled through that scene. It's nice to see that Gina has forgiven Crockett for calling her "Caroline" in bed, as they both share some new intimacy at the office. The divorce letter hits home, as well as Sonny's luncheon with Caroline and her divorce lawyer. Noogie made me laugh (Charlie Barnett is so fun to watch in this!) Rodriguez is no Castillo but he's still great in my book!  The locations... Bob Marley's Jamming... are just top notch!  And Afemo Omilami as Desmond Maxwell chewed up the scenery and was just a pleasure to watch! 

What I would change:  More Omilami as Desmond!  He was so underused!  Also, I would have cut down the slo-mo considerably!  The use of slow-motion in the action scenes was such a detriment to the action and this episode. Sure, having the Jamaican drug dealer bust the back doors open holding a machine gun in the van chase is smart and creates tension, but then having him shoot in slow-motion drags out the shot and undercuts the thrills the director built up preceding that moment. And multiply that complaint times 10 in the slow motion climactic scene in Noogie's appartment!  Did they need more time to fill... is that it... to flesh out the episode in its allotted time?  Or was this someone's "brilliant" way of stretching out the finale?  It is poor editing either way for sure and hurts the overall score to just a "C" grade.

Final Grade:

IMG_20171213_090353.jpg

Edited by ComplimentsofMrCalderone
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Rewatching  MV again, it's been a while.

On the NBC App, via Amazon firestick.

God I hope Vin Diesel's reboot never sees the light of day 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...