Episode #3 "Cool Runnin’"

Ferrariman

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

What I appreciate most is the vibe of the episode. So atmospheric. 

Yes, it’s loaded with outside shots with lots of locations. You feel like you’ve been to Miami when it’s done. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Yes, it’s loaded with outside shots with lots of locations. You feel like you’ve been to Miami when it’s done. :thumbsup:

That's exactly it, you feel soaked in the Miami experience. The vibe of the early episodes in season 1 give off such a unique feeling. 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I loved this season 1 episode with the classic 'early days feel' to it. It's 9/10 to me. I enjoyed to see Lt. Rodriguez, Noogie is introduced and his scenes were hilarious. Great to see team hangout moments such as the boat party where Tubbs accidentally drops the lobster into the ocean :)("That was 28.95$!" "I hope it likes the local water!").

There's plenty of action of course from the intro car chase (Tubbs can handle that van really well) to the final shootout at Noogie's. It was also interesting to see more some of Crockett's family life with estranged wife Caroline.

The vice cop Jake Esteban is no longer seen in the series though was the only survivor from the ambush...

• Like 2

On 7/7/2015 at 4:50 AM, airtommy said:

Cory Barker of the website This Was Television reviews "Cool Runnin'":

http://thiswastv.com/2012/08/27/review-miami-vice-heart-of-darkness-and-cool-runnin

I agree with most of the review but I have to disagree on the author about Tubbs having nothing to do. He gave his crucial contribution during the climatic final scenes of the episode, when he shot the Jamaican with a taser gun from the boot of the Daytona. Then posed as one the their thugs taking the clothes, outfit from that suspect just shot and covers Crockett when they break into the apartment and start shooting like crazy.

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would've said "man, I wish they buried this one a few episodes deeper into the season", but obviously because of Rodriguez there's literally no other place this could've aired (making this the second episode would've been a TERRIBLE idea).

I don't have a lot to say this time. I just kinda think "Cool Runnin'" is pretty all over the place tone-wise. Noogie is a good time, but the bad guys are paper thin. I'm not into that final shootout at all. I don't see why Tubbs, wearing the disguise, couldn't have fooled the others for the first few seconds he was in the room so that he could blow them away while their guard was down. And the unceasing undercranked slo-mo is really distracting, not just during the shootout but also when the van crashes at the start. When I look at, for every ten ways that MV still feels fresh and watchable, the odd way that it REALLY shows its age, "Cool Runnin'" is one of the prime examples for me.

More "meh" than outright bad. 4/10 for me.

EDIT: Oh, that cover of "Jammin'" halfway through is FANTASTIC. The way those snare hits are placed! Wish I knew who the band were.

Edited by zachbmarsh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2010 at 12:38 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I like this episode okay...and the beginning is awesome, with the music, action, and the younger cop friends of Crockett's getting killed/wounded and Crockett and Tubbs going after the psychos. But...then enter Noogie. :rolleyes: Okay, he was sort of okay and funny in parts of this episode, but after a while he was just annoying as crap to me! I was like dude, just shut the heck up!! :evil: I never like him much in any of the other episodes he's in, either. I know Charlie Barnett's character was supposed to be like Izzy's--a little comic relief once in a while to sometimes (but not always) counteract the usual "dark" and seriousness of Crockett and Tubbs’ cases. But, I can watch Izzy way more than I can Noogie! Noogie just sort of "crashes" this one for me, and I'm not a huge fan of his character.

This was my original review of “Cool Runnin’”. Noogie still annoys the crap out of me...but there’s a lot more going on in this one than just him. I still love the beginning, but I also felt the friendship and care Crockett had for the younger, up-and-coming Vice detectives was genuine & heartfelt. The plot was good, the fashion was good, the action was good...I think I originally gave this a 5. But if I could, I’d re-rate it as a 7! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The debut of Noogie!  A fun character, but best seen every now and then.  Charlie Barnett was great in this role - I like how he has Noogie drop his "jive" act for a second when Tubbs threatens to put him in the same cell as the "300 lb freakazoid." This is probably the most serious Noogie episode; there's worry from Sonny and Rico about his survival.  

Not a classic episode, but a good solid one with an engrossing crime tale.  The super slo-mo used in a couple of places does not work though - Sam Peckinpah this is not.  Fine atmosphere throughout, especially some of the night street scenes. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

A lot sources have got it wrong in saying that Desmond Maxwell was killed by Tubbs with the tasar.

What bothered me the most at first to why I thought it wasn't Maxwell, why would a henchmen order a drug boss down the stairs but then watching it tonight for the first time realizing, if you listen carefully the henchmen actually calls him "Winston"

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
17 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Rental Rehab reviewed "Cool Runnin":

https://wherebadmovieslive.wordpress.com/2010/08/22/miami-vice-monday-cool-runnin/

I don't like their reviews.  Too snarky and disrespectful, and also they bring in political correctness.  But, it's always interesting to read a critic's opinions of the show.

“Rental Rehab”...the name alone makes me want to immediately change the proverbial channel. :thumbsdown: Sounds like a pathetic online thing that’s run by people who probably have barely watched what they’re supposedly critiquing...or don’t really understand what they’re reviewing is truly about, and don’t care to. 

"Rental Rehab" sounds like a camp to take us Vice fans to re-educate us to NOT like this great show. I'll leave it right there.

• Like 1