MV Very Merry Holiday Recipes

Vicechic84

Time to break out those festive dishes (you know the ones with the eight tiny reindeers on them!),those red and green snowflake printed napkins with matching tablecloth and who could forget the sweet smelling aroma of the cranberry scented candle that you bring out only once a year. Yes, the holiday season is such a wonderful time, a special time we share with those we love. That means people (and particularily Vicers) from all over the globe come together with their families, friends and colleages to have fun and enjoy indulging in the vastly decadent treats and refreshingly festive drinks this special time of the year is known for. They're especially designed to tempt your palettes, adhere to your sweet tooth, quench your thirst (both hot and cold) and most importantly keep your guests coming back for seconds. So why not make this season a bright one with these '12' deliciously tempting dessert and festive drink 'MV Very Merry Holiday Recipes' (complete with foodie sayings from a few of your MV fav's) that are sure to make you the MV host/hostess with the MV mostess! Enjoy! :cheers:Eingefügtes Bild

:xmas:**RICH CHOCOLATE SOUFFLE**:xmas: Ingredients:One 6-cup (1.5L) souffle dish or six 3/4-cup (175ml) ovenproof ramekins2 tsp (10ml) unsalted butter, softened1/4 cup (50ml) granulated sugar6oz. (175g) semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped1/2 cup (125ml) whipping cream2 tbsp (25ml) brandy or waterPinch of fine sea salt3 eggs yolks4 egg whites1/4 tsp (1ml) cream of tartarsifted cocoa for dustingDirections:1. Butter the souffle dish or ramekins. Then use 2 tbsp (25ml) of sugar to coat the base and sides. Then refrigerate until ready to use.2. Pour 1 inch (2.5cm) of water into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Put chocolate, cream, brandy and salt into a heatproof bowl, and place over the simmering water. Turn off the heat and leave to melt. Stir the chocolate mixture until smooth, remove from heat and whisk egg yolks 1 at a time.3. Preheat over to 400F (200C).4. Use electric beater to whisk egg whites until frothy. Then add cream of tartar and continue to whisk unti soft peaks appear. Slowly add remaining sugar and continue to whisk until the whites are thick and glossy.5. Add a small amount of whisked egg white to the chocolate mixture. Stir well to lighten and then add the lightened mixture to the egg whites. Using a spatula, gently fold them together. Spoon mixture into prepared dish(es), piling up in the centre, then smooth the top with your thumb, make a trough around the top unside edge of each dish to detach mixture from sides, then place on baking sheet. 6. Lower the over to 375F (190C) place on the middle rack and bake until puffed and just firm to the touch, about 15 minutes for individual souffles and 25 to 30 minutes for a large one. Dust with cocoa and serve immediately.*Fruit cake? Nah, nothing beats those delicious melt in your mouth canoli I have flown in all the way from Italy. They're to die for! Literally!* ~Frank Mosca~

:cheers:**CRANBERRY DIVINE**:cheers:Directions & Ingredients:Fill a tall glass with ice. Add 1 1/2oz Grand Marnier, 3oz of tangerine juice and 2oz cranberry juice. Garnish with a skewer of cranberries.Entertaining Size Ingredients:1 1/2 cups Grand Marnier3 cups tangerine juice2 cups cranberry juice8 skewers of cranberries for garnishDirections:Combine all ingredients except garnish in a pitcher. Pour into rocks glasses filled with ice and garnish each with a skewer of cranberries. ~Entertaining size serves 8 people~*Suddenly I hear cuckoo clocks echoing in my head and a craving for peanut butter like you wouldn't believe!* ~Big Booty Trudy~

:D**APRICOT CROSTATA**:DIngredients:3/4 cup (175ml) unsalted butter, at room temperature plus extra for tart pan3/4 cup (175ml) granulated sugar1 tbsp (15ml) lemon zest finely grated1 tsp (5ml) pure vanilla extract3 eggs2 cups (500ml) all-purpose flour1/8 tsp (0.5ml) salt2 cups (500ml) apricot jam1 tsp (5ml) lemon juiceDirections:1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C)2. In a large bowl beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.3. Beat in a lemon zest, vanilla, 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks; mix until well combined.4. Stir in flour and salt unti well combined.5. Place dough on work surface and form into a smooth ball. Flatten and wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for 30 minutes.6. Butter a 10-inch (25cm) fluted tart pan.7. Slice off a quarter of dough and replace in refrigerator.8. Between 2 pieces of wax or parchment paper, roll three quarters of dough into an 11-inch (28cm) circle.9. Place dough evenly across tart pan, form dough into pan with fingertips pushing dough up edges and trim away any excess from edges, ecess can be added to the quarter piece.10. Stir together jam and lemon juice, cover dough evenly with apricot mixture.11. Roll out second piece of dough and slice into 1/2 inch (1cm) strips; lay strips across tart to form a lattice pattern.12. Bake tart in middle of oven for 30 minutes or until golden. Let cool before serving. This tart can be made one day ahead.*My son Sal loves my famous homemade creamy tiramisu. Wash that down with a piping hot strong espresso and your meal is complete. Takes bon appetit to a whole new level of excellence!* ~Al Lombard~

:cool:**THE SNOWBOARD MARTINI**:cool:Directions & Ingredients:In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add 1 oz. Kahlua, 1/2 oz Irish Cream liqueur, 1/2 oz vodka and 2 oz whipped cream. Shake until frothy and strain into a Martini glass. Dust with cocoa powder.Entertaining Size Ingredients:1 cup Kahlua1/2 cup Irish Cream liqueur1/2 cup vodka2 cups whipped creamCocoa powder, to dustDirections:Add all ingredients except cocoa powder to a pitcher and stir well to mix. Chill in fridge, or add ice cubes to chill quickly. Pour into Martini glasses and dust each with cocoa powder.~Entertaining size serves 8 people~*A martini sounds great darling, then maybe back to my place for a little coffee and desert? Let me find a sharp knife to cut the cake.* ~Lois Blythe~

:clap:**GINGERBREAD BUTTER COOKIES**:clap:Ingredients:3/4 cup (175ml) unsalted butter at room temperature1/2 cup (125ml) sugar (white or brown)1 egg2 tbsp (30ml) milk1/2 tsp (2ml) vanilla1 1/2 cups (375ml) flour3/4 tsp (3ml) ground cinnamon1/2 tsp (2ml) ground nutmeg1/2 tsp (2ml) ground ginger1/4 tsp (1ml) ground cloves1 tsp (5ml) baking sodaDecorations:Icing, candies, sprinkles, etc.Directions:1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar, then add egg.2. Stir together milk and vanilla. Add butter to mixture.3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, spices and baking soda. Sift into butter mixture. Stire with a wooden spoon until well blended. Gather dough into a ball, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.4. Preheat oven to 375F (190C). On a floured surface, roll out dough 1/4 inch (5mm) thick and cut with your choice of cookie cutters.5. Place on a ungreased baking sheet and bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Decorate with colourful icing and sprinkles. Store cookies in a sealed container in a dry place. Makes 2 dozen cookies.Variations:Hazelnut: Replace 1/3 cup (75ml) of flour with ground hazelnuts or other nuts.Lemon or Orange: Add 2 tbsp (30ml) lemon or orange zest.Cocoa: Replace 1/4 cup (50ml) of flour with cocoa.Coffee: Dissolve 1 tbsp (15ml) instant coffee in the milk.*Cookies?! I love cookies! but I (ab)normally use my flour for uh…other things.* ~The Shadow~

:dance:**HOLIDAY PUNCH**:dance:Ingredients & Directions:To a pitcher, add 1 cup icewine, 2 oz. of brandy, 2 cups cranberry juice. 2 oz. lime juice, 1 oz grenadine. Add 1/2 cup seedless grapes and slices of orange, lime, kiwi and strawberries. To serves, pour punch into glass with ice, and top with a splash of soda. Garnish with the marinated fruit. Serves 6.*Nice, cool, refreshing punch and making it is as easy as 'Child’s Play' They even named it after me!* ~Holiday~

:tasse_prost:**APPLE RUM & RAISIN BREAD PUDDING**:tasse_prost:Ingredients:2 1/2 cups (625ml) milk or light cream3 eggs1 tsp (5ml) vanilla3/4 cup (175ml) packed brown sugar8 cups (2L) stale white bread cubes1/2 cup (125ml) raisins1/4 cup (50ml) rum or apple juice2 apples, cored and chopped1 tsp (5ml) cinnamon2 tbsp (25ml) butter, meltedDirections:1. In large bowl, combine milk, eggs, vanilla and 1/2 cup (125ml) of sugar. Stir in bread cubes; let stand for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. In small bowl, combine raisins and rum; set aside.2. In another bowl, toss together apples, cinnamon and remaining sugar; add raisin and apple mixtures to soften bread, mixing well. Spread evenly in 8 x 12-inch (3L) greased baking dish. Drizzle with melted butter.3. Bake in 375F (190C) oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm or cold. Serves 6 to 8.*2 hotdogs with everything on it and a bottle of Jack Daniels. Works for me!* ~James Sonny Crockett~

:)**MINT-NIGHT MADNESS**:)Ingredients & Directions:To a blender, add 1 cup ice, 2 oz. Bailey's Mint Chocolate liqueur, 1 oz. milk and 1 scoop chocolate ice cream. Blend and pour into a rocks glass and garnish with mint chocolate shavings.

:funky:**ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE FONDUE**:funky:Ingredients:450g (16oz) chocolate, chopped in small chunks (milk, dark, white, according to preference)1 cup (250ml) whipping cream1 tsp (5ml) vanilla1 tbsp (butter) Directions: Combine cream, vanilla and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until just boiling; remove from heat. Add chocolate pieces to hot cream mixture and stir until melted and smooth. Pour into fondue pot and serve warm with desided accompaniments. Makes 2 cups. Serves 6 to 8.*Used as a chocolate dip for bite-sized pieces of pound cake, fruit and biscotti, etc. Requires fondue pot.**Hey, I love fondue! Can I dunk a donut in there?!* ~Stan Switek~

:gift:**BRANDY BLISS**:gift:Ingredients & Directions:In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add 1 oz. of brandy, the juice of 1/8 fresh lemon, 1/2 oz. Amaretto and 3 oz. cranberry juice. Shake and strain into a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with a cranberry skewer.*What a name, Brandy Bliss! Sounds like a blue chip hooker we once busted!* ~Larry Zito~

:p**MARBLE CHEESECAKE**:pIngredients:Crust:1 2/3 cups (410ml) graham cracker crumbs3 tsp (45ml) sugar1/3 cup (75ml) unsalted butter, meltedFiling:3 (8oz) (250g) cream cheese, room temperature3/4 cup (190ml) sugar3 eggs1 1/2 tsp (7ml) vanilla extract4 oz (125g) semi-sweet chocolate, meltedDirections:1. Preheat oven to 325F (160C). Lightly grease a 9 inch (23cm) springform pan. To make crust, mix together crumbs, sugar and melted unsalted butter. Press crumb mixture into bottom of pan. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven, cool slightly. 2. To make filling, heat cream cheese with electric mixer until smooth, scraping down sides during process. Add sugar and beat lightly. Add eggs one at a time, beating lightly after each egg. Add vanilla and stir well. Pour into prepared pan and smooth top. Using large spoon drop 5 circles of melted chocolate on top. With a knife swirl choclate into cream cheese mixture until top has a marbled effect, taking care not to mix the chocolate into the batter. 3. Bake 45-50 minutes, until center is almost set. Let cool at room temperature in pan, then refrigerate at least 6 hours before removing from pan. Serves 12.*Cookies, candy or cake, I like my sweets! As long as it isn't turtles, I hate turtles!* ~The Noogman~

:rauchen:**BLUE CHRISTMAS**:rauchen:Ingredients & Directions:Stir together 1 1/2 oz. blue curacao and 1/2 oz. each of freshily squeezed orange and lime juice. Pour into a cocktail glass, add ice and top with tonic water.*Blue Christmas, hmm...what a great name for my next snuff flick!* ~Milton Glanz~

And this concludes our special 'MV Very Merry Recipes'! We hope you've enjoyed them and bring these decadent desserts and festive drinks into your home this holiday season. All of the above tasty treats are courtesy of the great sites below. For further information and additional recipes please feel free to click on any of the links. And remember please drink responsibly. Don't drink and drive. *doorbell rings*...Ahhhh right on time...Company awaits! :xmas:FOODLAND ONTARIO:http://http://www.foodland.gov.on.ca/english/recipes.htmlLONGO'S COOKS CORNER:http://http://www.longos.com/frames/index.asp?loadarea=cooks_cornerDAIRY GOODNESS:http://www.dairygoodness.ca/recipesLCBO FOOD & DRINK:http://www.lcbo.com/fooddrink/index.shtml**PEACE & JOY TO EVERYONE!!**Eingefügtes Bild

• 3 weeks later...

OH My Goodness!!!!:eek: Well, there went my diet right out the window!!!!:pI have not installed my printer since I moved in February of this year, but have whipped it out, to print out these recipes which I plan to share with my family.:dance2::dance2:Thanks ViceChic!!!!:flowers::clap::clap::thumbsup::thumbsup:Now, I must add loose weight to my New Year's Resolution!!!!:rolleyes:

The apricot crostata!!! (Crostata di albicocche) It's one of my favourites, too bad I'm not able to prepare it, but I want to try this recipe.

Now' date=' I must add loose weight to my New Year's Resolution!!!!:rolleyes:[/quote']Funny how people start their diets every New Year's Day... and every Monday of the year! :)

The apricot crostata!!! (Crostata di albicocche) It's one of my favourites' date=' too bad I'm not able to prepare it, but I want to try this recipe.Funny how people start their diets every New Year's Day... and every Monday of the year! :)[/quote']Yeah, But my New Year's Resolutions last only about the first 15 minutes of the New Year.:p Then they get blown to.... well, you know.;)

It's not really appropriate for those of you on a diet, but hey it's Christmas, forget about losing weight for now!I want to offer you all a slice of Panettone.Eingefügtes BildPanettone is 100% Milanese, considered one of the symbols of the city, and its recipe dates back to the 15th century. It has always been considered the typical Christmas cake in north Italy.You should try it, it's absolutely great!!! :thumbsup:Merry Christmas! :xmas:

• 5 weeks later...