My trip to Star Wars Tatooine village.

Papa Legba

In case any of you are wondering where I've been recently, I've been doing some travelling. One of the places i've been to was the Sahara Desert where we had a look at the Star Wars set that was used for the Tatooine scenes in Star Wars. Here are my pics....Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildhttp://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n97/Alex9473/Alexspictures620-1.jpghttp://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n97/Alex9473/Alexspictures621.jpghttp://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n97/Alex9473/Alexspictures622.jpghttp://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n97/Alex9473/Alexspictures623-1.jpghttp://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n97/Alex9473/Alexspictures624-1.jpg

Wow Papa!!!!:eek:I thought these scenes from your pics on Facebook seemed very familiar to me. But I just couldn't remember from where. They are awesome Papa!!!!:clap::clap::thumbsup::thumbsup:Thank You For Sharing Them With Us Here!!!!

The moisture vaporizers and some of the doors are still there??Was this the set used in STAR WARS or the more recent Star Wars prequels?It's good shape leads one to believe this is not the set from 30+ years ago, but from the prequels.VERY COOL!

No problem Maria. The same thing occured to me about the age of the set as well, Coop. The tour guide said that the set was 20 years old. I think that he was mistaken though as this would make it 6 years after "Return of the Jedi" and 10 years before "The Phantom Menace" (unless they started making the set very early!).The set was probably the one used for "The Phantom Menace" during the scenes where Qui Gon and Obiwan first meet Anakin. If my memory serves me correctly, the only scenes of Tatooine in the first three films were Luke's foster parents cave in "A New Hope", and the sand dunes in "Return of the Jedi". When you consider that Lucas probably built the set a good couple of years before the films release then I would guess it's probably about 12 years old.Incidentally, the cave dwellings that Luke and his foster parents lived in are not part of a set, but are in fact real Berber caves. We went in a couple while we were in Tunisia. People really live in underground caves like this in the desert in order to create an environment that's cool. My partner's daughter and I wandered near one of these cave dwellings and got invited in to have a look by the daughter of the house who looked about 19. Everything looked very primitive, but on her bed was a cell phone with headphones attached where she'd been listening to music. It was quite bizarre. A culture that's about as different as it gets from ours, yet also in other respects she was a typical teenager.

I seem to remember reading that the Lars Homestead (from A New Hope)was originally a hotel. I think the desert scenes in Return of The Jedi were filmed in California (maybe Death Valley?) and Yuma, Arizona.

I seem to remember reading that the Lars Homestead (from A New Hope)was originally a hotel. I think the desert scenes in Return of The Jedi were filmed in California (maybe Death Valley?) and Yuma' date=' Arizona.[/quote']It still is a hotel actually, the Sidi Driss Hotel in the Troglodyte town of Matmata, in Tunisia. The interior shots of Luke's home were apparantly filmed there. The exterior shots were a Troglodyte cave which has now been filled in. Extra desert scenes were filmed in Death Valley to augment the ones filmed in Tunisia.One of our tour guides reckons that one of the producers of Star Wars was Tunisian, which is why they did a lot of filming there. Whether that's true or not I don't know. But it's certainly true that in Tunisia you see a lot of obvious influences that went into create Star Wars. This is reflected in some of the place names. There is a genuine town called "Tatouine", which the name of the planet is apparantly based on, there is a town called Naboul (Naboo?), and many of the place names end in the word "Jedidi". During one of the hotels we stayed in in the Sahara, I had the window open and heard what sounded like the battle cries of Tuscan raiders in the distance. Apparantly they were Donkeys. And the Trojan horse things from "The Empire Strikes back" move just like Camels. There was a bird that I often heard singing that sounded just like R2D2, and occasionally we saw people dressed in Jawa robes. I managed to catch a shot of one walking through a market...Eingefügtes BildCentre of pic!

• 5 years later...

Awesome photo's! I would love to go there, but sadly according to recent reports, the IS group have taken it over now  ;(