What happened to the original MV colors?

ivoryjones

Hi friends,I got some material on a old issue that annoys me since the DVD release, but I believe the problem is at least as old as the Columbia House tapes.It seems that something happened to the original colors of Miami Vice during the last decade or a little bit more, as the series just doesn't seem to look the same as it once did. It sounds like a purist thing, but I suppose others care about it, and I regret that Universal never gave a damn. I'm kind of disappointed MV was released on DVD that way.I will share pics from the logos, comparing different versions. Obviously such differences affect entire episodes, but they're more visible with the logos.From 3rd season on I could never see the original saturated blue/pink color of the logo that rocked most of the eps (but not all) in the 80s. Instead I saw a green/purple pattern that was not that impressive to me. Even the white glow lost power, it became a little dirty, not blind light white. I believe all that has to do with the fact that prints (MV was filmed on print) age and lose blues and get reddish. And MV is not old enough to go to a restoration process, such as the kind that make "Gone With The Wind" prints look brand new on DVD... Unfortuntely, I'd say. Take a look:

Killshot: Certainly a source from the '80s (broadcasted in the 90s here in Brazil), with that "blue" sea so common in the original MV from 3rd season on.

Eingefügtes Bild

Killshot: US DVD (no real white glow anymore, a problem almost always present on DVD)

Eingefügtes Bild

Contempt of Court: source from the '80s

Eingefügtes Bild

Contempt of Court: US DVD (the logo looks quite different, and the sea is vinegar, a problem I believe is related to excessive reds in older or bad shape prints)

Eingefügtes Bild

The Cows Of The October: source from the '80s (really beautiful, and it looks a lot like the "Miami Vice II" album logo, as it looks like the logo adopted on miami-vice.ws, thanks for that ws!!!)

Eingefügtes Bild

The Cows Of October: US DVD (look how insignificant became the glow)

Eingefügtes Bild

Vote of Confidence: '80s look (my avatar nowadays, another example of the pattern we can't see on DVD anymore, though it is a main reference regarding MV, as the album cover of "Miami Vice II" and the logo adopted on miami-vice.ws prove it!)

Eingefügtes Bild

Vote of Confidence: kind of depressive (the saturated '80s look is gone, the glow is as thin as it can be, and everything looks like a series from the '70s, kind of an old re-run of Kojak -- nothing against Kojak by the way, but it's another aesthetic world)

Eingefügtes Bild

Honor Among Thieves? '80s look (just a case to prove that not always the logo was blue/pink, sometimes it was green/pink, but still it had a saturated look, to me very nice, absent on DVD)

Eingefügtes Bild

Honor Among Thieves? US DVD (more balanced colors, the sea looks like a sea usually looks in real life, but MV originally showed more magic than the real look of things in real life)

Eingefügtes Bild

Freefall in the '80s (I'm really happy I have it)

freefallsony.jpg

Freefall on US DVD

freefalldvd.jpg

Please, do not compare sharpness/image quality between the different versions, as some are VHSs converted to DVDs and some are official DVDs, so the latter will beat the former by far in that matter.Anyway, the captures were all made using the same equipment, and I didn't change any color parameter of the pic.There's one way of making the DVDs look a little more like the '80s. You have to put the contrast real high, decrease a little bit the brightness and move the "tint" (or hue) control so you get more blues and lose reds. But at a particular point when you make the logos look right, the skin of the people looks wrong... So you have to stop before that point, so there's no real solution, only a kind of so-so emulation of the real MV.If someone have captures of the pics from NBC airings, please PM me, or maybe even share them on this thread. I would suggest you to convert your '80s Miami Vice tapes to DVD or blue-ray one day. Make no mistake thinking that with the commercial DVDs you can simply trash the rest.

Edited by ivoryjones
Spacing correction (images and text colliding)
  • Like 1

I don't have anything to add, but I liked your previous commentary on this topic and I like this commentary as well. I really am surprised at the difference in some of them. I didn't realize the logo was supposed to be pink in Contempt, Cows, Vote, etc. I had always thought it was supposed to be purple.

As you have pointed out, there were many changes to the logo at the start of the show.When the series first started, there was no glow around the MIAMI VICE logo. That came later a few episodes in (including a redone JAN HAMMER vice theme that wasn't just an edit from the long version from the pilot).The different colors in the different seasons were NOT a mistake, or color needing to be remastered. It was done deliberately as the color scheme in the series changed to different colors and darker tones. It was originally broadcast that way.This was deliberate.What the DVD and CABLE broadcasts won't show you is there is also a slightly alternate version that only those of us who recorded some of the earlier episodes in it's original broacast have. In a few episodes, after the MIAMI VICE logo came on the screen and the glow surrounded it, underneath the logo appeared the words "IN STEREO" (It may have said, "in stereo where available") then it disapeared. It was only done a few times, and for trivia buffs, it was one of the very first shows to be broadcast in stereo. Most homes didn't have stereo tvs (because there wasn't stereo broadcasts on tv, but it could play stereo video playback). New York had used a type of simulated stereo for a while in it's broadcasts. I think the begining of 1985 season 2 was when the "IN STEREO" logo first appeared. Even if you didn't have a way in 1985 to pick up stereo broadcasts, it still sounded crisp and clean due to it's high fidelity.-COOP

• Like 1

Nice to hear from you Airtommy and Cooper&Burnett!!It's a fact that the logo changed many times during the five years run. Personally I prefer the more or less stablished look it got from "Stone's War" on, with the white glow.Anyway, I'm comparing here a certain episode in VHS to the very same episode on DVD, precisely to rule out any matter related to the evolution of the logo in the series production. To compare the logo in "Lombard" (S1) to the logo in "Killshot" (S3) would be completely wrong, as they should look different, they're supposed to. But comparing "Killshot" to "Killshot" and getting different results is kind of puzzling (and frustrating). So, taking the pics above, you see "Killshot" look in a certain way in the '80s, but in a total different way in the '00s. The same to "Contempt of Court", "The Cows of October", "Vote of Confidence", "Honor among Thieves?" and "Freefall". I could add other eps, as the entire seasons 3, 4 and 5 look different in DVD than I used to see in the '80s/'90s (it's not that seasons 1 and 2 don't look different on DVD, comparing to the '80s -- see pics below --, but I believe their brighter photography somehow made the problem less noticeable during the eps)

Out Where The Buses Don't Run (80s) - looks a lot like the logo on the back cover of the album "Miami Vice I" (vinyl, it was excluded on the CD edition), which makes sense (the album and the ep were chronologically related):

.Eingefügtes Bild

Out Where The Buses Don't Run (US DVD, on 2nd season, more than on the other seasons, the logo sometimes appeared clearly green/pink, but this is exaggerated):

Eingefügtes Bild

Another matter: it's not that only the logos look different, as the entire episodes changed in color from the '80s to the '00s. I only put the logos because I believe they show more easily the change. But if you capture scenes like, for instance, the first OCB scene in "When Irish Eyes Are Crying" (after opening), you'll see everything looks a little bit redder in the '00s than in the '80s. That's why there's no real white glow anymore in the DVDs openings, it's always a little purple and dim. Also, in the openings, you see that the Testarossa lights don't have the bright white lights it used to have in the '80s. They're purplish. And as you notice the problem, the whole experience of watching the eps on DVD is a bit soured, because you'll find the problem everywhere.I believe (cannot say for sure) that that "In Stereo - where available" message in the opening was an insert by NBC (more or less like a watermark or a subtitle of any kind), not a real part of Miami Vice production, not something in the prints. Airtommy, it's interesting that the album "Miami Vice II" has the logo blue/pink, and it is related chronologically to the 3rd season. It's a good proof that that was the original look...

Edited by ivoryjones

Below some other pics, now from 1st and 2nd season

Pilot, '80s:

Eingefügtes Bild

Pilot, US DVD, vinegar foam:

Eingefügtes Bild

Calderone's Return Part II, '80s, first pink glow ever on MV:

Eingefügtes Bild

Calderone's Return Part II, US DVD, red/orange glow????

Eingefügtes Bild

The Dutch Oven, '80s:

Eingefügtes Bild

The Dutch Oven, US DVD (balanced but artificial, look how weird is the "Vice" shadow):

Eingefügtes Bild

The Fix, '80s:

Eingefügtes Bild

The Fix, US DVD:

Eingefügtes Bild

Edited by ivoryjones

Nice to hear from you Airtommy and Cooper&Burnett!!I believe (cannot say for sure) that that "In Stereo - where available" message in the opening was an insert by NBC (more or less like a watermark or a subtitle of any kind)' date=' not a real part of Miami Vice production, not something in the prints.[/quote']That's correct. But it was there, and shown nationally.

I remember being perplexed by the different colors back in the 1980s. I remember adjusting the colors on my TV set, and what a huge difference it made in the logo.These pictures are astonishing. It's amazing to me that the colors could be so different on the DVD compared to the original airing.

Out Where The Buses Don't Run (80s) - looks a lot like the logo on the back cover of the album "Miami Vice I" (vinyl" data-date=" it was excluded on the CD edition), which makes sense (the album and the ep were chronologically related).[IMG">

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/eddiequist/mv/outwherethebusesdontrundvd.jpgOut Where The Buses Don't Run (US DVD, on 2nd season, more than on the other seasons, the logo sometimes appeared clearly green/pink, but this is exaggerated)

• 2 weeks later...
I remember being perplexed by the different colors back in the 1980s. I remember adjusting the colors on my TV set' date=' and what a huge difference it made in the logo.These pictures are astonishing. It's amazing to me that the colors could be so different on the DVD compared to the original airing.[/quote']Two Words: Signal Reception....ha...just joking...I could really get different colors depending on how I bent the coat hanger & tin foil ears....

It's amazing to me that the colors could be so different on the DVD compared to the original airing.

I don't know that I would describe the 80s screenshots from the original poster as 'orginal airings', you can see the logos in many of the pictures from the networks that were showing re-runs, unless the original airing had 'USA' in the lower right hand corner or a blocky 'S' in the upper left.I'd be inclined to trust the DVDs over a recording of a re-run.

Guest neworder

Can certainly see a huge difference between the colour of the sea and ... it's a little annoying lol, the bluey colour of the 80s captures looks much better than the grey ish colours of the DVD's, the 80's sea colours look much better and more Miami like!

I never realized there were so many color differences in the logo......I hate the green, .....it's not pastel at all! :sick: The orange is horrible also. :p

• 4 months later...

Looks like Universal didn't want to shell out to do a proper job for the DVDs. I mean I don't Vice will ever look really sharp, and we may never see it in HD (was it edited on video?).I think some of the 'original' broadcast shots look over contrasty, which is creating a blooming effect. However, I definitely prefer the colour of those shots over the DVD versions.

• 1 month later...

I never realized how many colors they had until I just read this thread. I like the one with the pink and I thought that was it. I made sure when I got my shirt for MV it had the pink in it. I really like that one and the blue water. Also, speaking of In Stereo, wow how strange is that now? I mean back then we noticed it because the stereo sound was coming into play but now it would not be notice, by me anyway. So that is pretty cool C&B that you have that on your videos. And I had videos from back then but they were lost in the shuffle of moving a few times and recorded them again. I stopped when all the DVD's came out. Very interesting I just never knew all this. thanks guys.

I never realized how many colors they had until I just read this thread. I like the one with the pink and I thought that was it. I made sure when I got my shirt for MV it had the pink in it. I really like that one and the blue water. Also' date=' speaking of In Stereo, wow how strange is that now? I mean back then we noticed it because the stereo sound was coming into play but now it would not be notice, by me anyway. So that is pretty cool C&B that you have that on your videos. And I had videos from back then but they were lost in the shuffle of moving a few times and recorded them again. I stopped when all the DVD's came out. Very interesting I just never knew all this. thanks guys.[/quote']I still have my tapes! :)

I still have my tapes! :)

Yes I know you do , dear :clap: I was a bad girl and lost a few things, those tapes, rare Beatle things that were original etc. Friends helped me move and I was upset. You keep them safe with that color and the in stereo on them. I know you have them locked up like your clothes...lol.....:thumbsup:

Yes I know you do ' date=' dear :clap: I was a bad girl and lost a few things, those tapes, rare Beatle things that were original etc. Friends helped me move and I was upset. You keep them safe with that color and the in stereo on them. I know you have them locked up like your clothes...lol.....:thumbsup:[/quote']I don't allow movers to help me. I move everything myself, or in supervised only care.I have amassed lots of one of a kind, rare collectibles, and don't trust them to anyone but myself. That way, I'm certain they get the care these items deserve.I preserve these items.More MV treasures will be posted. I have many I have not posted....yet! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

This has been interesting to read about. So I thought that seeing as Season 2 premiered today on 111 Hits in Australia (which is like a cable TV station), I'd record it and compare the opening titles to my DVD's. Interestingly, the TV broadcast has a slightly different color logo (more aqua than green) and only has a subtle pink glow compared to the dynamic pink glow of the DVD. So this is from The Prodigal Son:TV Broadcast (this is as bright as it gets!):Eingefügtes BildAustralian DVD version:Eingefügtes Bild

Hey DefinitelyCrockett!This pic you got is very cool! Thanks for sharing it!One can see the obvious difference between it and the DVD. Indeed, your pic looks as I used to see "The Prodigal Son" in the '80s home video (laserdisc/vhs).It's very nice that in Australia somehow "Miami Vice" seems to be running untouched. If I lived in Australia, I guess I would record the episodes and keep it. If you see the third/fourth/fifth season running with the blue logo (like my Avatar and this site logo), absolutely absent in DVDs (actually absent since the Columbia House VHSs from the '90s -- something happened back then), it's indeed a true rarity that would deserve to be kept!

Hello, not only the Miami Vice logo changed, the song Miami Vice Theme (intro) also sounded in different episodes a different one. Sorry,for my bad English . . . :cry:

Hey DefinitelyCrockett!This pic you got is very cool! Thanks for sharing it!One can see the obvious difference between it and the DVD. Indeed' date=' your pic looks as I used to see "The Prodigal Son" in the '80s home video (laserdisc/vhs).It's very nice that in Australia somehow "Miami Vice" seems to be running untouched. If I lived in Australia, I guess I would record the episodes and keep it. If you see the third/fourth/fifth season running with the blue logo (like my Avatar and this site logo), absolutely absent in DVDs (actually absent since the Columbia House VHSs from the '90s -- something happened back then), it's indeed a true rarity that would deserve to be kept![/quote'] The colour on your avatar is amazing!! I will record episodes to see the differences. I also found that the TV episodes have some small parts edited out. For example, in The Prodigal Son, they cut out the scene where Sonny was waiting for Margaret at the club and she didn't show up, and then he went out in the rain to a payphone and called Rico. There were a few other small bits cut out here and there, but nothing too major.

Hello' date=' not only the Miami Vice logo changed, the song Miami Vice Theme (intro) also sounded in different episodes a different one. Sorry,for my bad English . . . :cry:[/quote']I will make sure I listen carefully to hear the differences!Don't worry - your English is OK :thumbsup:

MV ColorsI agree with you. I have the original hex numbers for the original Miami Vice colors and a tutorial. The Miami color Hex# is 1ddffd and the Vice color hex# is ff98dc. If you use this http://www.colorsontheweb.com/colorwizard.asp website you will be able to create the original colors. Just put the hex numbers in the box that says "enter hex code" which is right below the red, green and blue lines. If you have Photoshop you can create the original logo with this http://www.tutorialbeach.com/tutorials/miami_vice_text_1.php tutorial. Enjoy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

http://www.colorsontheweb.com/colorwizard.asp website you will be able to create the original colors. Just put the hex numbers in the box that says "enter hex code" which is right below the red' date=' green and blue lines. If you have Photoshop you can create the original logo with this http://www.tutorialbeach.com/tutorials/miami_vice_text_1.php tutorial. Enjoy.

Very nice one, thanks!I'be been trying to emulate the original MV look on watching the DVDs with no success, but still I can make them look a little bit closer to the original.For those who use VLC Media Player, here is an example (I can't be exact in terms of levels as VLC Media Player does not offer numbers):Freefall:On VLC Media Player "Video Effects":Image Adjust: check itHue: nearly 100% (I'd say 95%)Contrast: about 75%Brightness: a little above 50%Saturation: about 50%Gamma: about 15% or 20%Brightness Threshold: leave it uncheckedIf this is not that bad but at the same time does not fix things for good, in cases like "Down For The Count" there was no possible setting, because when I made the logo look more or less right, the people skin in the episode scenes looked unnatural...

• 7 months later...

Watch this and pause at exactly 2 minutes and 57 seconds.If you want to watch the entire (great!) documentary, click here

That's a documentary about PMT from September, 1988, currently available on youtube. Just in case it ever vanishes from youtube, I post a pic of it here (that's an undentified episode from seasons 3-5) and below, for comparison, a pic from the DVD version of Stone's War:

1988 source (documentary), unidentified episode: blue sea, real white glow, bluer "miami", pink "vice"

Eingefügtes Bild

DVD: vinegar sea, purplish dim white glow, green "miami", "purple" vice. Check it out:

Eingefügtes Bild

The 1988 source shows it all: the true white glow, the bluer logo, the blue sea.That's evidence on how wrong the MV colors were on DVD.Miami Vice has never been so sharp in detail as on the DVDs, but when it comes to colors, they were a failure. Of course, and that's something I think it should now be underlined: not only the logo colors were messed up, but the entire episodes colors were as well (it's just that is harder to notice in scenes). If you like, seek in the above mentioned youtube link also scenes from "Indian Wars" and "Stone's War", they look strong in color/contrasts and beautifully saturated. That's how I saw it in the '80s. That is not in the DVDs. In the DVDs, things looked as if they got "sunburns" and at the same time dim (so it's natural that some blues turn into greens, and some greens got greener, everything gets "warmer"), which of course reflects the chemical process of the prints getting old.More on it (please compare only colors, not video quality - that'd be unfair as one source comes from a youtube video and the other from a DVD!):

1988 source (documentary), Stone's War:

Eingefügtes Bild

DVD: look what an aged print can do! Someone gave a greener painting to that wall, Philip Michael Thomas' hair and skin are somewhat reddish, and no comments on the door color (both the once white part of it and the center glass parts). Most of all: everything is fading. Take a look:

Eingefügtes Bild

1988 source, Indian Wars (again, forget about image quality):

Eingefügtes Bild

DVD, Indian Wars - subtle differences now, but please look at small details: the lake behind, Joe's hair (a little bit too much red in it), Joe's clothes (the whites on it were affected and the undisputable blue shirt lost blue and is now in the middle of the way to green). Not so subtle: there's no real white anywhere, all whites are somehow "warmed". Check it out the DVD:

Eingefügtes Bild

Edited by ivoryjones